Niche Sites and HP?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Don Bobbitt profile image84
    Don Bobbittposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/8819341.jpg
    Of course, HP is playing their cards close to their vest, and rightly so.

But, from what I know about fracturing the HP family of writers into these so-called "Niche Sites" is a little like taking a cannon ball and melting it down to pour the liquid into molds for shotgun shot.

Each group pulled over and into a niche takes away from the HP whole, and at the same time, puts those of us moved into a smaller place to be found by the world.

Actually, it seems that the rest of us can do that ourselves with a little diligence, possibly training, and education. But we can build our own "smaller home".

They say you can tell when a ship is going to sink because the Rats come out of their holes.

I see a lot of rats in my morning feed, mostly illiterates a lot with copied items some with great rats on a hotel in a small town in the far reaches of India, Pakistan and Africa. Are these our Rats?
    DON

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well, I would refer you to my hub about getting rid of rats-- but that would seem self-promotional. smile

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

From what I'm reading on the forums, niche sites are the last gasp of content farms before they go belly up.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We don't know that, because only one other content site has ever tried it. It failed because it made a complete botch of the transfer, so the new sites never got off the ground. So we're in new territory

1. C.V.Rajan profile image58
          C.V.Rajanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think you mean Helium, but there was this Triond (http://www.triond.com/) which was practically doing the same idea at least 6 to 8 yrs ago. In the above link, you can see their topical website details too. I was writing for them for some time, but it was of no use (from income point of view).  I left it and withdrew my articles. Whether they were/ are successful, I have no idea.

(The only great thing I vaguely remember about them is that they had virtually no minimum accumulated payout amount. Even if it was 1 dollar, they were religiously crediting it every month those days!!)

C.V.Rajan

2. makingamark profile image70
          makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No Squidoo tried it too

It was a non-starter. Happened just before the end when they were getting a bit desperate and jumping on any idea which floated by - a bit like a melting ice cap!

Niche sites work when they have an Editor who is enthusiastic about the subject and exercises judgement to keep out the trash.

Niche sites where anybody can contribute only work (up to a point) if they are called Wikipedia.

I've never come across a collaborative niche sites with a business model for earning income behind it. In that sense it's unknown territory.

Niche sites with one careful lady owner are however another matter entirely! wink

1. Kylyssa profile image90
            Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually, they are called magazines and there are plenty of them.

2. Kylyssa profile image90
            Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually, they tried it more than once. Remember the SquidPaws lenses and Ever.com things they tried a few years before that? The lenses of mine put into Paws and Ever sunk like rocks so I recall the try.

3. Vic Dillinger profile image61
      Vic Dillingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant, Don Bobbitt, and definitely points up what's coming.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 8 years ago

It's all okay. The crap gets de-indexed soon, if it ever gets indexed at all.  I'm for the niche sites - just so long as they create some for my junk smile

1. Sam Montana profile image80
      Sam Montanaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That what I am thinking also. The first niche sites seem rather narrow like a site for tattoo articles. I guess all we can do is wait and see how it all works.

1. makingamark profile image70

That is THE WHOLE POINT of Niche sites - they have a very specific focus!!!

3. Don Bobbitt profile image84
    Don Bobbittposted 8 years ago

Yeah, Somehow HP doesn't understand the basic reason for their existence as far as writers are concerned, EXPOSURE!
    That's right, their  job is to provide us and our articles with EXPOSURE. Exposure for our EGOs or for MONEY or for both, but in the end, for exposure.
    So, do your job HP! Where's our exposure?
    DON

4. Jesse Drzal profile image91
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

I think Hubpages is doing all they can to get out of Pandas death grip. We will just have to wait and see and patient. I'm sure there will be some kinks along the way too. I would stay and give them a chance. They are one of the first to be in this format and is now basically the last man standing. That means something to me.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Whenever I write an article I know already that surely there is somewhere on the web another one about that topic, and so all I have to do is outdo that one already out there. It isn't too hard to do that, usually - as the formatting here make for damn fine looking webpages.

I think that now it takes longer for an article to age, and be accepted by search engines as legit or good. I've no statistical analysis for any of that, just my feelings about it for looking at my stats and remembering how things used to go.  Everything is fine, maybe you have to work a tad harder to make a page good now - that's fair, there is more competition now.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image91
        Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Right on.

2. Farkle profile image93
        Farkleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's no longer as easy to "outdo" as it was before. In my experience, you can write far better than other other websites, offer much more, but then you're penalized because Google doesn't like us. With the other websites being older and us being featured on a generic website, I don't think we stand a chance of beating other websites. For this reason, I think hubpages is on a good path in doing niches, Google doesn't seem to like websites on generic stuff.

Google does not like HubPages. It is simple as that.

Take your content (assuming it's decent quality) and....
          Put it on your own niche site (assuming you have enough to make this a worthwhile exercise) and....
          Watch your traffic rocket.

5. Venkatachari M profile image84
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

I simply like to listen to your threads. Knowing the views of all of you. No comments for now please.

6. Linda Poitras profile image57
    Linda Poitrasposted 8 years ago

Well I know that what I right isn't popular but I don't like the fact the HP decides for me what people will read or not. Which is sad. But anyway ... such is life on HP I guess ... would be nice if it changed

7. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 8 years ago

I like the niche sites idea and they could take off money wise. As long as spam in comments etc and spammy articles are eliminated. Imagine with Tatring if you wrote your own site of 300 pages, it would work very well for Google. The only problem is waiting for the domain to age and get more exposure but the upside is that HP writers don't have to write 300 articles themselves.

Nonsense. The domain does not need to age.

The domain just needs to be relevant to the topic and contain enough quality content of a very specific topic.

Google is all over quality content as soon as it hits the internet - there's no waiting to age involved!

8. pumpkincat210 profile image60
    pumpkincat210posted 8 years ago

Right when it seems that traffic is increasing or has increased a new version of Panda is rolled out and the down trend starts over.  Also, my hub was doing better until they had outside help optimizing the site.  That really killed my traffic.  sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)