Two New Sites: FeltMagnet and LevelSkip!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (103 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
    Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years ago

Happy Monday, everyone! I'm pleased to announce the launch of our newest sites FeltMagnet (a site about crafting) and LevelSkip (a site about video games) which went live Friday and today respectively. Congrats to the Hubbers who have been selected. More soon!

1. makingamark profile image71
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear....

For the record 'drawing' and 'painting' and 'sculpture' and 'photography' are NOT crafting - they are VISUAL ARTS. A very clear indicator of a site which is NOT authoritative is one which confuses visual arts with crafts.

That said a site dedicated to Crafts would be very definitely be a good thing - there's lots on HubPages (and there's lots of categories of crafts as well - including many not reflected in the existing categorisation) - but do please learn what is meant by that term first!

I've been writing about art and for artists for over 10 years and while a name like "feltmagnet" might attract the crafters it won't appeal at all to those who like drawing, painting or sculpture.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

While there is great debate whether something is an art or a craft, it is far less offensive to call a craft an art than to call an art a craft.

1. OldRoses profile image93
          OldRosesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I noticed something similar when a few of my hubs were moved to Dengarden.  So many hubs with misinformation about gardening including "facts" that are just plain wrong.  Whoever is making the decisions on which hubs to move to the site knows NOTHING about gardening.  I'm embarassed to have my hubs associated with so much FALSE gardening "information".

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
          LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nor would it appeal to those looking for photography. Photography by all standards is a visual art.
          I specially do not like finding photography articles in the same place where I can see an article about plywood cutting at the Home Depot!

2. Anurag2008 profile image94
        Anurag2008posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yay! My 28 best hubs have been moved to LevelSkip. Thank you Team Hubpages!

1. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Congratulations.

1. Anurag2008 profile image94
            Anurag2008posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile

3. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Glad to see we are progressing nicely with the niche sites. Looking forward to seeing more of them.

1. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, they are doing well. And, taking on more staff too, so they say. English graduates everywhere see a glimmer of hope...

4. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just checked out FeltMagnet. This article is listed under "Drawing" :
        "How to Improve Handwriting: Writing Practice Exercises for Adults". Is it just me, but since when has handwriting been classed as drawing? I don't agree that drawing, painting and photography should be in a niche craft site either..especially one called "FeltMagnet".

1. Solaras profile image94
          Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If we are talking about cursive writing, then that might be an ancient art form. Classified alongside calligraphy.

2. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Painting is obviously as much a craft as an art. For amateurs it is almost entirely a craft.

I didn't realise you were an authoritative expert on this topic Will!

I think you confuse:
        1) the learning of the craft element (ie techniques and processes) which occurs in any form of practice which involves making things from felt to paintings to bread, horseshoes, hats and model airplanes
        2) "Crafts" as a topic in its entirety

Separating off the "how to" from the rest of the subject area is a very odd way of approaching visual arts. I grant you it's certainly an approach that works at Craftsy - but then everything works at Craftsy!

I also feel it's such a shame that those who are pursuing a real genuine craft which needs highlighting don't get that opportunity to have more appropriate top level sub-topics because of the way they have been set up. What we should be seeing are things like "Scrapbooking" and "Crochet" at the top level of sub-topics (or have all the Crochet hubs now left HP?) if the name is going to be something like "Feltmagnet" (who thinks of these names?)

Meanwhile I shall go back to reading my Craftsy contract and offer to fly me out to the USA to create a class.... now there's a site that knows what it's doing!

1. lisavollrath profile image92
          lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In defense of the name FeltMagnet: I challenge you to go to DirectNIC, and hunt down any decent craft-related .com domain name that's available. Even their usual suggestions for names once you've typed something in that isn't available are pretty awful.

I wish the name had the words craft, make, or create in it, but I spent ten minutes trying to dredge up something, and couldn't.

delussionsofgrandeur.com is available

++++LOL

"Urs Fischer has reduced Gavin Brown’s Enterprise to a hole in the ground, and it is one of the most splendid things to have happened in a New York gallery in a while. "
              http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12979888.jpg

Meanwhile, in Atlanta we celebrate...

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12979891.jpg

Eat your heart out Mark Ewbie.  BTW the pipe cleaners are the art, as you can clearly see.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
                Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep... sigh... I still haven't got it.

The pipe cleaners have got "it"

2. justholidays profile image66
              justholidaysposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Rubens, Picasso and the other "grands" would have been delighted to see this domain name :s

2. makingamark profile image71

If you're a business you might well have to buy one.

I found a very straightforward one immediately which is available for sale.

www.craftmakers.com anybody?

(Psst---nobody uses the www in front of web addresses anymore.)

Craftmakers.com is priced by a domain squatter at $5,000. That may not seem like much, but when you multiply that pricing by the number of niche sites HubPages is doing, it's not reasonable. I'm sure the directive was to find names that are available for $15.

Also, just finding the name is only part of the decision making process. There are already established craft-related sites at craftmaker.net, and craftmaker.co.uk. There's no benefit in creating a site with such a similar name.

And honestly, it doesn't matter what the site is named. Twitter? Facebook? Tumblr? What do those names have to do with those sites? The quality of content is what matters most.

3. relache profile image72
            relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

According to DirectNIC, all the below are available, and even more can be easily found.

Myhomemadecrafts.com
            fabucrafts.com
            SAHMcrafting.com
            IdeaNcraft.com
            Craftcreatemake.com
            Createmakecraft.com

What your domain name is doesn't really matter...that's what this entire niche site thing is illustrating. 

If you just move your content off the penalized HubPages domain to ANY OTHER DOMAIN, it immediately starts to perform better.  Period.  That's why admin is now just adding sites as fast as they can and moving as much stuff as they can.

1. OldRoses profile image93

I have to respectfully disagree.  I had 3 hubs moved to Dengarden and they are languisihing.  Traffic has fallen to zero.

1. Jodah profile image91

I have had two hubs moved to different niche sites and getting very little traffic to them since.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
              Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's for the short term and for Google. We still have our readers to think about.

So it's either trust the expertise of the  HP staff or leave. As of today none of my over 700 hubs have been included. But at least I found a whopping 4 photography articles.
          For now I am considering using all of my hubs to create more ebooks and deleting my account once that is done.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's using the word "craft" in a completely different sense of the word.  In art, photography, sculpture, you learn the craft (the skills) so you can (hopefully) produce something that is a piece of art to be admired.   "Crafts" are more homely and don't usually aspire to such lofty heights- they usually have some practical purpose, like decoration, or as a piece of clothing etc. 

Anyone who enjoys crafts would tell you that they wouldn't expect the visual arts to be included.

I appreciate the modesty of weekend painters who enjoy their hobby but have no ridiculous pretensions that they are artists.

Likewise, anyone who enjoys the visual arts would tell you that they wouldn't expect crafts to be included!

I don't get it. What is it about art that causes people to regard any serious aspirations to develop or share knowledge and skills about how to become better at drawing or painting as "ridiculous pretensions".

Isn't it just "learning" like any other field of endeavour?

However if you mean the content on the new site is intended for amateur artists and is written by amateur artists I wouldn't disagree with you. I'm sure lots will be very happy with it.

The phrase 'amateur artist' is absurd. As absurd as 'amateur doctor'. Or 'amateur prime minister'. Or 'amateur train driver'. You are something or you are not.

Do artists treat or operate on other people and threaten their lives. Might there possibly be a very good reason reason why doctors are required to have both professional training and professional accreditation?

Do train drivers carry a huge responsibility for the health and safety of others? Might there be a reason why they have to be professionally trained?

I'll give you the Prime Minister one.

The fact of the matter is that in a lot of occupations there are both professional and amateur sides. Occupations like:
                * photography
                * running
                * writing
                * baking
                etc etc

Bottom line the professionals are the ones who declare themselves as such on their tax forms. Plus in some instances are required to have professional accreditation - for very good reasons - before they are allowed to describe themselves as such.

Would you like me to point to the various magazines which are published specifically for amateur artists?

You obviously have no respect for trained artists who dedicate their lives to their vocation. You are not alone in that, I suppose, lol. At least have some respect for language and the meaning of words.

Also this...
                  Quote:

'Bottom line the professionals are the ones who declare themselves as such on their tax forms.'

Do I detect an accountant's world view here? Might there be another?

I do indeed have much respect for the artist who has trained for their vocation - much more than you have any inkling of.

I have also written extensively over the last decade about the debate about how to define an artist and what is a professional artist.

FACT: people are apt to describe themselves as an artist because they say so - and they feel that's all that is required.

FACT: the only people recognised as artists in terms of the economic definition of occupations are those that can define themselves as such on their tax returns and claim all relevant allowances and allowable expenses. The tax authorities do not recognise amateur artists as artists.

FACT: all websites which attract a lot of traffic in relation to art have very clearly defined audiences within the market segment related to Visual Arts. There are many groups of interest. This new site would clearly appear to be interested only in the hobby artist who wants "how tos" at a very basic level which is odd since there are already a number of well established sites which do this a lot better.

FACT: An awful lot of artists would absolutely hate to be on a site which declaimed itself as being about crafts - which is where we came in.

What really surprises me is why somebody with no apparent or evident interest in art should bother himself with a debate which has been preoccupying artists for years.

What doesn't surprise me is that people who clearly have no idea about the issues and boundaries related to the Creative Arts have set up this site and and defined its categories. Quite how that is supposed to get better traction with Google is beyond me....

Even a weekend painter would not say they did "crafts".   They are developing their craft (singular) so they can create works of art.  It may be a hobby, but it's not "craft work".

This is an interesting definition from the Director of the Crafts Study Centre in the UK

'An expression of human endeavour creatively realised on the borders of utility, design, architecture, sculpture and art. Craft is specific, recognizable and broad enough to carry loaded meaning with good cheer. It means little without its association to the individual maker and the organisations that give it life and value.'

Yeah, that is a workable perspective. Aunt Maud's watercolours, Winston Churchill's landscapes and the plethora of paintings of daffodils in jam jars are delicately separated from the works of whichever artists you happen to value.

And, of course, we can continue to admire and enjoy Aunt Maud's exploration of the borders of utility, design, architecture, sculpture and art (she was rather eclectic).

As for the bluster above, I pass.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

But that's the point, Will.  Aunt Maud painting her daffodils is not doing craft, she is making an artwork. It may not be very good but it is a visual art. So she is an artist.

Craft is handicrafts

3. Adam Harkus profile image59
      Adam Harkusposted 8 years ago

Please can we have a Music site next... Don't make me beg.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

^^ What he said.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I strongly suspect a music site will show up a lot sooner than a possible science and math site. I'd even make book on it. I wonder if HP will put all my youtube links on it.

2. Jesse Drzal profile image92
          Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Music please!!

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

Here's the skinny.

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12979753_f1024.jpg

(The pipe cleaners give it away.)

2. makingamark profile image71

They should have asked you to do the artwork!

5. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 8 years ago

Well, I hope my "crafty" gift basket hubs make the FeltMagnet cut. I do tend to agree with Katherine and Marisa about the definitions, though. However, when I complete a gift basket with the coordinated colors and ribbons, I do consider it a work of art. big_smile But seriously, fine art (paintings, sculptures, etc.) maintains its form forever, are on display for all to see, and may increase in monetary value. A craft (gift baskets, potholders, crochet items) are practical, functional, meant only for the person who received it, may not last forever, and may increase in sentimental value only. That's my two cents.
      Edit: Ah well, just checked out the site. No subcategory for gift baskets. No worries, carry on . . . .

6. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

The amount of work HubPages staff has accomplished in the last two months is incredible.

I think we should award them something.

My selection:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/034/0/7984765/il_fullxfull.609370898_2lsn.jpg

For services to snipping...

7. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 8 years ago

Oohh...a craft site! YAY! Strangely enough, with all the crafts I have done, I don't think I have a single craft hub.  I have to get to work.  I am still anxiously waiting for the movie site, though...

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
        Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The TV/movies site is coming very soon!

https://i.imgflip.com/12r9rz.jpg
          Meanwhile..., any chance for a science and math site?

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92

Give me the site, Wendy..C'mon Wendy hand it over..Give me the damn site, Wendy...C'mon Wendy..

"Here's Johnny!" The Shining

That one pic covered both TV and movies; I love double, triple, and even quadruple meaning pics. I see what you mean about poor Wendy though, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ABIIZV3vA 1 min. : 19 sec..

Ha ha such a classic.

8. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

I have a feeling that the next niche site to be launched might be movie related - one of my movie Hubs was just "snipped".... but of course, (ala Dennis Miller) I could be wrong.

I just got hit-and-run snipped my own wonderful self. Busy they are.

9. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

To add to the art vs. craft discussion, I bring forward the Gees Bend quilters.  They made utility quilts and thought of themselves as crafters, not artists. But once they had been discovered, and their quilts were put on walls in museums, and they started getting paid for workshops and such, they can now put artist on their tax forms.

And there are lots of people who make art quilts, which  no serve practical function except decoration.

10. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 8 years ago

Seriously, feltmagnet  sounds like it is just for the textile crafting arena.  How to sew, knit, needlepoint, felt etc.. all other crafting (wood turning, clay, scrapbooking etc..) need not apply.

HP could do very well with several much more specific niche domains for crafts.

Exactly!

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

+1

11. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

I worked up the energy to look up the definition of crafts.

-----

craft
      kraft/
      noun
      plural noun: crafts

an activity involving skill in making things by hand.
          "the craft of bookbinding"
          synonyms:    activity, occupation, profession, work, line of work, pursuit
          "the historian's craft"
              work or objects made by hand.
              modifier noun: craft
              "the shop sells local crafts"
              skill in carrying out one's work.
              "a player with plenty of craft"
              synonyms:    skill, skillfulness, ability, capability, competence, art, talent, flair, artistry, dexterity, craftsmanship, expertise, proficiency, adroitness, adeptness, deftness, virtuosity
              "a player with plenty of craft"
              denoting or relating to food or drink made in a traditional or non-mechanized way by an individual or a small company.
              "craft brewing"
              skill used in deceiving others.
              "her cousin was not her equal in guile and evasive craft"
              synonyms:    cunning, craftiness, guile, wiliness, artfulness, deviousness, slyness, trickery, duplicity, dishonesty, deceit, deceitfulness, deception, intrigue, subterfuge; More
              wiles, ploys, ruses, schemes, stratagems, tricks
              "she used craft to get what she wanted"
              the members of a skilled profession.
              the brotherhood of Freemasons.
              noun: Craft; noun: the Craft
          a boat or ship.
          "sailing craft"
              an airplane or spaceship.
              synonyms:    vessel, ship, boat; literarybark/barque
              "a sailing craft"

verb
      3rd person present: crafts

exercise skill in making (something).
          "he crafted the chair lovingly"

-------

Pretty much something there to support everyone's position on the subject.

12. janderson99 profile image52
      janderson99posted 8 years ago

Let's face it. ALL the new site names are just plain silly and users will be put off by them when choosing options in the SERPS.

The poor speed and server issues will eventually strangle the traffic as Google puts more and more emphasis on mobile. The 301 redirect system was a lazy way to go. IMO DownScope! My new sites get scores of >90!

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12982083.jpg

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I disagree fundamentally. What does 'hubpages' mean? It doesn't really mean much of anything. Most of my successful pages have been about either animals or guitars. 'hubpages' relates to animals and guitars, respectively, in no matter to speak of - except the success I've had with them.

1. janderson99 profile image52
          janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Feltmagnet sounds like a kid's site. Would you choose a page in the SERPs about art with this name. Hubpages is generic. IMO The key to success is establishing authority!

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

Funny you said that...two of my students thought it was a new game.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
              Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My hub about gardening moved to Dengarden used to get a lot of views, it's way down. But if someone is looking for how to do something, or a specific subject, those will be the words typed in the search bar. A gardener is not going to look for Dengarden, but if there is a hub about Shade flowers or shrubs that live in low temperatures, that's what you would search for. If there is a hub for it, you will be taken to Dengarden. I agree it's a silly name, but the name of the site doesn't matter that much, IMHO.

If you saw these listings in the Search Engine results: Which would you pick and why???. It is ALL about Authority!!!

Low Maintenance Ground Cover - HouseLogic
                houselogic  com/.../low-maintenance-lawn-alternatives-ground-cov...
                These low-maintenance ground cover ideas mean less mowing and more time for you. Choosing a ground cover over grass saves on water, too.

Lawn Alternatives - Eartheasy.com Solutions for Sustainable ...
                eartheasy  com/grow_lawn_alternatives.htm
                Some groundcovers are edible, such as strawberries or low-growing herbs. Ever-bearing ... Low Maintenance - Clover needs little to no watering or mowing.

Low-Maintenance Ground Covers That Suppress Weeds ...
                dengarden  com › Landscaping › Yard Design & Layout
                Mar 30, 2016 - These low-maintenance groundcovers grow thickly and spread quickly to choke out weeds.

Low-Maintenance Alternatives to Lawns | Fine Gardening
                finegardening  com/low-maintenance-alternatives-lawns
                But turfgrass is boring—not to mention high maintenance. ... No minimeadow for me—just low ground covers that require little or no care, are interesting and fun ...

You're probably correct. IMHO someone might be turned off by the name and perhaps disregard the search result in  favor of a more "photography sounding name" and when or if they get to FeltMagnet and see only four photography articles they might just leave as quickly as they got there.

Spot on - people know there are scam sites out there hence the name of the site is important. I know I always avoid the ones with weird sounding names whenever I do a search on Google.

The only time you can invent a genuinely new name (like Twitter) is when you are also inventing a totally new product.

3. OldRoses profile image93

Quite frankly I don't care what they call it.  What I do care about is traffic which in my case is non-existent.  Where is all of this traffic that was supposed to be attracted to the new niche sites?  I've had 4 hubs transferred to Dengarden and the traffic on all 4 has fallen to zero from search engines.  If it weren't for Pinterest, I wouldn't be getting any traffic at all.  My hubs did better on the HP site.  They didn't draw a lot of search engine traffic, but some is better than nothing which what I have now.

I'm not sure I agree, Wes.  Sure, it is possible to make a success of a site with a silly name - because it's the content that is most important. However, it's likely the site would be MORE successful if it had a good name with a bit of existing history.

Take my belly dance site, for instance.  It had always done OK but I was always conscious I hadn't made the best choice of name - but in my defence, it was very early on and I didn't know a thing about SEO!    Then another belly dance site closed down - it wasn't that successful (in fact it was really just a list of links), but it had been around for a long time and it had a great name.  I bought the domain name for $40 and changed the name of my site.   Result - I doubled my income.

I've started a few sites over the years and although it takes a bit of effort, I've never had trouble finding decent, descriptive names.  True, some names are sold for thousands, but most are not!   Just take a look at the GoDaddy auctions.

I think HubPages is trying to be young and trendy, and think up "funky" names that will catch on, like Pinterest.  The trouble is that if you're not young and trendy, your made-up names just end up sounding clunky, not funky.

But the point about Pinterest is that it invented a totally new kind of webpage

HubPages is trying to reinvent a very old and outdated concept (the article site) with so-called "funky" new names. I just call them weird and irrelevant to the content.

I've used very niche names for my new websites. Took quite a long time to pin them down in terms of what was available but the effort was worthwhile because they say what the content is about plus you can say them and people can spell them.

1. MyWebs profile image78
              MyWebsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree a domain name should be easy to remember and spell. Tricky domain names only cause confusion when trying to verbally tell others about it and for radio and TV ads.

13. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

Just to see how messed up this niche's name is I asked 8 teachers and 38 of my students what they thought a site called FeltMagnet would be about and over 93% of them said it was a site about clothing,felt (typical) or yarn.....not one thought it could possibly involve photography or remotely dealing in any way with visual arts.

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12982279.gif

Interestingly I did a search and I have just registered artscraftsreport(dot)com for my own sites. So there are or were (!) better names out there!!!!!

1. sallybea profile image96
          sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lucky me, they could not have chosen a better name for my writing but I was surprised else this niche covered.

1. Jodah profile image91

When I saw the name "Feltmagnet" I thought "How perfect for Sallybea's felting articles. Lucky you.

1. sallybea profile image96
              sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jodah

14. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Just call it an Arts&Crafts site. 'Arts' is nebulous to cover everything.

"Arts" also includes music, theatre, film etc etc.......

Nebulous is not a word or concept that I would ever use when trying to find a new name for a niche website.

That's because the whole point about the value of niche websites is that they are very precise and highly targeted - and hence deliver high added value to the person who visits them. Consumers love them and that's WHY Google likes them.

I think this point somehow got missed out from the grand plan for the future of HubPages. The niche websites that HubPages are producing are anything but.  They're just renaming existing categories (which were always problematic) and being "picky" about what hubs get transferred

Actually there's probably another word for "picky" having seen some of their choices.

15. makingamark profile image71
      makingamarkposted 8 years ago

One good test of a site of the effectiveness of a niche website is to look at its content relative to some of the leading sites

for example take a look at https://www.facebook.com/Crafts-Council … 769684701/ or its website http://www.craftscouncil.org.uk/ and compare to Felt Magnet

Why on earth would you compare a high culture, non profit with money from Arts Council England to a site like FeltMagnet?

Even the origami bunnies (the only practical project they offer that I could see) would demand to be sited on an antique marble fireplace in Notting Hill or Belgravia. Try taking them south of the river and they would rip your throat out.

Actually, after looking at that site, I'm coming round to the FeltMagnet name. Just add an arts and crafts subtitle and it will be fine.

Doesn't it rather depend on whether those whose hubs are transferred there think the name is OK?

What you think is completely irrelevant as you are not the target audience (Note: I'm only saying this based on the nature of things you write about - i.e. if you were interested you'd have made some art and crafts hubs by now)

That's an odd bit of logic and, excuse me, but I think it is condescending.  For all we know Mr. Apse may have one of the finest, most carefully curated collections of art in Europe.

I bet he does. Either way, Will is the man.

2. Will Apse profile image88

I have long curated exquisitely crafted handmade paper bunnies inspired by Japanese legends of rabbits on the moon, pounding rice cakes with a pestle and mortar.

And that is one of my more mundane projects.

These are inferior creations:

http://www.craftscouncil.org.uk/article … ami-bunny/

Suspicions confirmed!

16. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 8 years ago

How do I find out why a hub was not selected for a niche?

I feel that my 'How to Choose a Character Class in Mass Effect' is a very useful hub and is very detailed - the only problem I can see is that I use screenshots (fair use) to highlight what I am talking about.

Is it because the game isn't too current? The hub still gets traffic so people are searching for it?!
      Or is it because it's probably covered by other websites?

They just have not gotten to all of the Hubs yet..sit tight.

2. OldRoses profile image93

So far they have only my newest hubs, usually a couple of days after I post them.  My newest hubs are neither better nor worse than my older hubs so I assume that no one has looked at my older hubs.  When they do, I'm sure a few will also be transferred to a niche site.

17. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

All this fuss reminds me of a conversation with a friend of mine.

"What's in a name?" he said, quite wittily I thought.

"Well.. I... er..." I stammered foolishly.  His direct questioning had put me in a panic. I had no answer.

Coincidentally his name was also Felt Magnet but he preferred to be called Dave or Mr.Magnet.

18. Solaras profile image94

"Even the origami bunnies (the only practical project they offer that I could see) would demand to be sited on an antique marble fireplace in Notting Hill or Belgravia. Try taking them south of the river and they would rip your throat out."

Who would? The Bunnies?

big_smile

19. Solaras profile image94

For those of you unwilling to click, these are the carnivorous Bunnies of Belgravia. Note, from the remains, they eat their own young.
      http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12985768.png

lol. I decided not to link to that pic in case kids were watching.

20. Jesse Drzal profile image92
      Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

Nasty little savages they are.

21. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

I admit that I am biased. I write about photography. I admit that I know that HP counts on few staff members that can move/select articles for this new (What's the name???) site but a search of HP produced over 18,000 results. Then why not let those of us who are passionate about photography move our own articles over to Felt...something or other ? I fear that any new visitors to this niche called .....I forgot already! may be turned off when they see a whopping FOUR articles on it.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Luis-- you do deserve better than this. Your work and your articles are great. 
        Though I love HubPages, I really hope you get a site of your own that really does you justice. Your work is really outstanding, and needs to be somewhere where it can be seen.
        Wishing you the best-- and this is not it, I think.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
          Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Also, I would suggest that other readers of this thread go to the profile of LuisEGonzalez and look through his hubs. Even if you are not into photography, you should know what good photos look like. His hubs are worth sharing.

2. Solaras profile image94

Maybe they will!  I think they are testing waters on the sites before going all in.  For Pethelpful, I had a large percentage of hubs move over, but I only had 40 published hubs. These hubs have tripled in views since the move; this site is working from my perspective. Dr. Mark or Agility MACH may provide better stats.  Now, this week, I am experiencing a second wave of move-overs.  I think Pethelpful is a success. Comments from others on some other niches are not as encouraging in some respects.

Some niche sites may work better than others, perhaps being left behind when an alternative  niche is a failure is a blessing. I don't know, and am only commenting on what has been posted in forums. Some say Google views have dropped to zero following their move.  Not all experiments work the same way.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

I think Pethelpful is a success for one single reason - it's a clearly defined niche.  Everyone knows what a pet is, and the site covers all the animals people might keep as pets.  All the articles are about caring for animals, choosing animals, etc etc.  Anyone can see that all the articles are related to that same broad topic.

Disappointingly, this is not the case for some of the other "niche" sites. Take Feltmagnet - it's not about crafts you make at home as a hobby, it's also about art and photography (professional and amateur).  That's confusing to people and probably to Google, too. 

I'm hoping FeltMagnet was an aberration and the other sites will be more focussed.

Good point Marisa

Proper Niche - tick
            Helpful name - tick
            Traffic - tick

You are so right...again. Although one of my hubs was just moved I still believe that the name is nothing short of a mistake.

22. Adam Harkus profile image59
      Adam Harkusposted 8 years ago

Spinditty.....

Proper Niche - No Tick
      Helpful name - No Tick
      Traffic - Not so far.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)