Pinterest "Pin It" button

Jump to Last Post 51-65 of 65 discussions (172 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I'm loving it.  Attention and visits from simple graphics. 

Yes, people might steal, but they might do that from my blog, HP or websites anyway.

And I'm no Picasso.

Incidentally, this is not me spamming the thread.  I am just giving an example of what is working for me.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6230937_f248.jpg
    "So when did you realise you were addicted to Pinterest?"

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Thanks Jason.  I've definitely seen some traffic from the Pininterest site, and think the button in question will be well worth all of our time.

Also, I recently bought a little digital camera...which I intend to use to the MAX on this site and others, and ...of course, pin with great rabbidity.  (did I just make up a word?)

3. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

PCunix: I'm not being smart or an a-hole, but what is your grind against Pinterest?

Is it the fact that your pictures are being fully uploaded? so it makes them easier to steal? Isn't that a major hazard anyway - stealing pictures from any article on the web is very easy.

If Pinterest only uploaded a 'clip' of your photograph would that satisfy?

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dislike ALL social media sites, but this one seems particularly egregious to me.

If the only person who is supposed to be able to pin my content is me, then why put that button here?  You supposedly are not supposed to pin my stuff , so why have the button?  If I want to pin it (fat chance) I can do that - I don't need a button.

Explain to me what the purpose is for a button that is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USED except by me?

1. SimeyC profile image87
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wizzely has the same button by default (which as you said can be turned off) - whether or not you like it all most sites like HP are going to use this.

The problem is with Pinterest not these sites - all efforts should be made to complain to Pinterest and get THEM to change their TOS and protect the intellectual property.

No, the real problem is with people who USE these kind of sites.    If people were smarter, this wouldn't even exist and their poor enforcement would not matter.

LOL tell that to the millions of people who use it. It's not about being smart, and I know many many smart people who use these sites, it's about a different perception of these sites.

You have the right to feel that the TOS is very bad and can only do harm to you. Others have just the same right to feel that the risk of losing a picture to a thief justifies the potential traffic and revenue.

If someone wants to use this site for their own reasons as a tool to promote their articles, why does that suddenly make them stupid?

It's not sudden..

But you haven't answered my question.  Nobody but you is supposed to be able to pin your stuff, right?

So why is the button there?  TO ENCOURAGE THEFT and make it seem acceptable.

I'm not trying to get personal here but you're calling a lot of people (millions) on both Hubpages and all over the web 'dumb' - that's rather a sweeping statements! LOL! Ah well we'll agree to disagree before this gets too personal!!!

But you won't answer the question, will you?

From Pinterest:

"You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that: (i) you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to Cold Brew Labs the rights in such Member Content, as contemplated under these Terms; and (ii) neither the Member Content nor your posting, uploading, publication, submission or transmittal of the Member Content or Cold Brew Labs’ use of the Member Content (or any portion thereof) on, through or by means of the Site, Application and the Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other proprietary or intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation."

So, again (and Jason can feel free to chime in), what is the purpose of this button that nobody else is supposed to use?

Is HubPages going to argue that this is part of the Author Content exclusion that they initially explained as a software limitation?  In other words, are they putting the button here because we gave them the right to do whatever they please with pictures (which have been Author Content for some time now) - so they have the right to let someone else post it because THEY want Pinterest traffic?

I only post my own work or work of people who I have EXPLICIT permission to Pin - that's the whole point as a 'pinner' it's down to me to know the TOS and know I must have the permission to repin.

I still go back to the point that your question about 'why is there a pin' button must go to Pinterest not Hubpages - Pinterest are the ones who have the conflicting message going on - HP, like most other article websites are going to use any tools they can, and let the owners of the site deal with the inadequacies of the TOS.

HP are working to remove the Pin button and allow you to make the sub domain un=pinnable....

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
                    Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is what disturbs me too, Tony.  Are our own pictures even ours anymore?  If we unpublish our hubs are the photos which belong to us unpublished also, or do they still link back to HP?  If they do still link back to HP then essentially they don't belong to us anymore, right?  I'm confused about all of the ramifications concerning Pinterest and who actually owns the photos we personally take and use on our hubs.  Perhaps the old saying "In confusion, there's profit"  may apply here.smile

For example, my genuine--and one-of-a-kind I might add-- "Ewbie" logo (shown below) has "hubimg.com" embedded in it. Is my most prized piece of art in jeopardy of being heisted?  yikes 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

4. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Don't be so twerhuigoerg arrogant.

To answer your question.

The purpose of the Pin It button is for ANYONE to pin your article to Pinterest despite the fact that this is supposed to be against the TOS of interest. I've never disagreed with this.

It's a tool that many sites are using and is provided by PINTERST  - so how about answering MY QUESTION: Why are you picking on HP when this tool is PROVIDED by Pinterest.

YOU FAIL TO ACKNOWLEDGE that HP are working on a solution for you - and continually call me dumb and ignorant.....

I didn't call you dumb or ignorant.  That would be a violation of the TOS.

HP is working on a solution TO A PROBLEM THEY CREATED.

By inference you did - but that's life! I apologize for 'name calling' you and I probably should be forum banned for it.

I'm not diagreeing with what you say about Pinterest, it is potentially a 'frightening' site - but for anything to change the battle has to be done against Pinterest not HP. Pinterest have to force users to give the reference of the Picture and only use 'snapshots' rather than full pictures.

Removing the Pin button and making the article unpinnable is still not going to stop someone from saving your photo locally and uploading it to Pinterest - so the Photo gets stolen regardless of what HP do, and you end up with no benefit.

Does the visibility of the button give implicit agreement that you want to have your work pinned? Probably - I agree - but for many people this is not a problem. Whether that is smart or not doesn't really matter...

Did HP make a mistake by adding the button - that's a very difficult question to answer objectively. For those who use their own pictures often then HP should have investigated removing the Pin button based on user preference.

HP is a business and they are going to try and increase traffic as that increases revenue - that's a fact of life....

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Well, folks. I woke up this morning to discover that I had been repinned 30+ times. Ya just never know...smile

1. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did it hurt or was it like acupuncture?

Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well done Paradigm.  I can't resist this... sorry.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6234985_f248.jpg

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Love it! If this one is on your board, I'm going to repin it immediately.

Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks P.

Note. This is NOT self publicising.  It is part of the Pin It discussion.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

I slept right through it. They were gentle.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Gosh....I get repoked here and there....but holy jeeze, I want folks to click the stinking picture I imported and give me impressions....oh, and here's some amazon that you can't live without since you're here.

paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Hmmm. I'm unable to access the Pinterest homepage. We'll see how long that lasts...

Site is back. False alarm. big_smile

2. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

So today, I get this "friendly reminder" from Pinterest, asking me why I didn't take advantage of my invite.  They even left me a site so that I may sign up, using Facebook or Twitter.  Last week, I sent them an email saying I did not have Facebook or Twitter.  And was there a way around this?  In today's email from them, they stated that they wanted to make it easier for Pinterest followers by having them sign in through their Facebook or Twitter accounts.  Sooooo, I sent them another email explaining my "problem".  This is it for me.  At least, with HubPages, I get my emails answered.  If this outfit is just as bad as Facebook when it comes to service, I'm not missing much.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if I will get a reminder about the invite I got?

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

Sounds like the internet norm to me. big_smile

3. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Arlene, I waited 5 days to get an invite.  After going on and looking around, I think I'm not going to rush into this Pinterest thing.  I can just imagine my email being filled with people who want to follow, etc.  I can't keep up with my HubPages emails.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image85
          oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Arlene, I didn't want to sign up with my twitter or facebook.. so I just signed up not using those methods.  There is a way to get around it.  They are just hoping that you do use those ways, but its not necessary to sign up if that is part of why you don't want to. 

I can understand you wanting them to answer emails, that is always nice, and frustrating when it doesn't happen.

3. profile image0

Oh, well, Paradigmsearch.  No big loss.  Maybe this is my cue to spend more time cleaning my house instead discovering this new site?  Jeez.  I can't believe I actually said that.

4. profile image0

Flora, I received my invite on Monday and didn't move on it because I couldn't.  So if you didn't jump on your invite, you will probably be invited.  Again.  Like Facebook, they certainly don't want to lose you.

5. profile image0

Thank you, Mary and oceansunsets.  I've been reading all of these posts, and I find all of them very helpful.  There are people who don't have Facebook or Twitter.  Or don't want to add anything to their already existing accounts.  I mean, I don't need to be pinning myself all over the place and make it a goal to be getting all kinds of traffic, but it would be nice to read the work of other writers.  And this includes the HubPages writers who have branched out to Pinterest.  It would at least give me a chance to get a good read and be a little more supportive.

6. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

UPDATE: Please read the forum post below about disabling Pinterest pinning on your Hubs.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/93743

7. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

I appreciate all the share buttons as many of my readers use these buttons themselves.  I do not think there is a better compliment that a viewer can give to a writer then to share their work with their friends.

8. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 12 years ago

Pinterest

Updated Terms of Service

Our original Terms stated that by posting content to Pinterest you grant Pinterest the right for to sell your content. Selling content was never our intention and we removed this from our updated Terms.

Got this in my email today.

And probably fired someone..

1. profile image0
          HubTubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

2. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

tongue I just joined pinterest today and that was what I read big_smile Nice welcoming message Huh..

Something like this:
          We have made a variety of changes in .... but, this is what we find imp:
          Our original Terms stated that by posting content to Pinterest you grant Pinterest the right for to sell your content. Selling content was never our intention and we removed this from our updated Terms.

There was more as well

9. syfsupps profile image60
      syfsuppsposted 7 years ago

Cool, gotta try this one, I just got a Pinterest account and hopefully when I get to write my first hub, I'm going to use this. Thanks! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)