Follow Your Heart, Or Your Mind? Or Is The Heart/Mind Really One In The Same?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. miss butterfly profile image60
    miss butterflyposted 12 years ago

People often ask the question: Should I follow my heart or my mind? Well aren't they one in the same? Or does one lead the other in making some decisions? If one leads the other, is it our heart that leads, or is it our mind? Some will say it depends on the situation--and this may be very true indeed. But, how do we truly know when it's our heart or when it's our mind that helped us make a decision? 

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

IMO heart is emotion, mind is intellect.  Does it matter which led in a decision?  We have this as a system of checks and balances, so to speak.  We are out of balance if we are totally emotional or totally without emotion (all intellect).  Weigh the decision carefully if you are referring to your decision about the inlaw.  Better to err on the side of caution.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image68
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To me, the heart is your feelings and emotions; and your mind is your logic and reasoning, apart from emotions.
      As some others here have said, I think it's a little bit of both. Balance. Allow yourself to feel. But don't let it make you do something irrational. My opinion is that people should take their time if they are making a decision about relationships. Emotions are wonderful things, but give them too much rein and they can destroy you. Let logic and so called "rationality" take over and you may never let yourself be happy.
      It's sometimes really hard to balance those out in a relationship situation, but I've learned it's good to give both of them time to speak.
      Just my two cents smile

miss butterflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, balance is important and we certainly must be careful not to be completely led by emotions.  Thanks AshtonFirefly!!

3. aravindb1982 profile image76
      aravindb1982posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I know I am seeing this question very late. But coincidentally I had written a hub on this same theme about 4 years ago. I have shared my thoughts there and I hope you find it interesting.

In short, the heart is the seat of consciousness which should be heeded to over the mind which is the seat of intelligence. Heart is selfless while the mind is not.

http://hubpages.com/religion-philosophy … tween-them

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I always follow my heart first on important matters. Shortly followed by the mind to confirm and structure. Your heart is source of love, kindness and good intentions needed in this world most. When ever you come across a serious problem, look to the mind where the source of the problem is.

2. miss butterfly profile image60
    miss butterflyposted 12 years ago

Couturepopcafe, hello!! Yes, I totally agree with your perspective. Sometimes it does matter what leads in the decision making process though, at least in my opinion. If we act on our heart alone tells us, all retionalization is thrown out of the decision making process. In all actuality it may be probable to believe our heart and mind really are one in the same, right? Also, please forgive me but I am a little lost with regards to the last part of your reply...what are you referring to when you wrote "Weigh the decision carefully if you are referring to your decision about the inlaw."? Thanks!! :-)

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry.  I thought you were the one who asked about a cheating son or daughter and should you tell their spouse.

I see where you're coming from on the heart mind thing, though.  Yes, it's possible.

:-)

3. William Norman profile image61
    William Normanposted 12 years ago

We almost always follow our heart, then use our mind to justify decisions...

This balancing act is easy when our heart and mind takes us in the same direction, but sometimes the heart takes us directions that our mind knows not to go!

You are right about the heart taking us in a direction our mind knows not to go! I think we all have been down that road...at least once or twice :-)

4. Elizabeth Espinos profile image60
    Elizabeth Espinosposted 12 years ago

Yeah, it's true, there's always a weighing process between our mind and our heart.  It is understood however,  that our mind is on top of our heart.  And we have to analyzed our own perceptions, if what is mandated by our mind which comes from the dictations of our heart.

Great perspective!

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Always use your emotions in combination with your intellect(mind). If you do either one out of balance, then you're most likely going to harm someone without seeing the consequences of your actions in advance.

Very true indeed!

6. poeticmentor profile image75
    poeticmentorposted 12 years ago

Blessings miss butterfly, I am a firm believer that when we control our emotions, our decision making is easy and rarely conflicted. Emotions change a lot, they are unstable and can sometimes take our mind to a place of depression and anger or lies even when it may not be proven.  What I Know on the on other hand is real and cannot change, because it is fact.  Balancing heart and mind is a matter of how we react to our emotions and what we know about any situation. Thanks for the question. 1

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Blessing to you too!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)