jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)

What is more important: Listening to heart or mind?

1. ershruti304 profile image60
    ershruti304posted 6 years ago

What is more important: Listening to heart or mind?

At most of the decision making instances our heart and mind are not in rhythm. Under such situations what is more important? Listening to heart or to mind.

2. Sa`ge profile image60
    Sa`geposted 6 years ago

whether heart or mind rules one must look at the consequences of each outcome. from this observation one must make the best choice between the two.  So, it is not whether heart or mind is correct choice, it is what would be best outcome in consequences brought about by the decision. 
    Observing the consequences helps us make good choices in making and taking the right actions for a better life.  in true essence of living we will use both heart and mind, sometimes together sometimes apart.

3. Gareth Pritchard profile image85
    Gareth Pritchardposted 6 years ago

Hi there,

In my experience neither the heart or mind are as important as gut feelings, in my experience these are feelings that I can't explain, I just know something but often don't no what it is.

Thanks for the opportunity.

4. mariasial profile image72
    mariasialposted 6 years ago

Well!!  if you belong to a well to-do-class,  have enough resources to live happily, you can take risk and listen to your heart  whether it’s a financial matter or any emotional decision. But if you have tough financial circumstances you should listen to your mind, you can’t take risk.

However, there is another point of view

If you are controlled and mature minded person you can listen to your mind and follow it But if you are emotional person and stubborn person you cannot go against your heart in this case regardless of risk you should listen to your heart because you can only be happy by following your heart, nothing else will actually amuse you.

End of the day everything we do is for the sake of happiness.

5. parrster profile image85
    parrsterposted 6 years ago

There are scenarios where the mind must rule. For example, as a very young man in my first car, there was an almost overwhelming urge to plant the pedal to the metal and burn rubber on almost every street I drove down. Thankfully my more sedate and analytical mind won out (most times). That said, there are moments when the heart must rule. Many were the challenges to marrying my wife; her parents were against it, friends and mentors were against it. Twenty-two years later I count myself a wise man for listening to my heart rather than all those logical arguments to the contrary. In conclusion, context must determine from which source our decisions will rely; and even then we take a risk whichever we choose --- but that’s all part of the mystery.

6. sonia05 profile image60
    sonia05posted 6 years ago

I think matters of emotions should be tackled by ones heart but matters of material things like money matters,planning,buying-selling should be by mind! However,there are many in-between areas where it becomes difficult to decide by heart or mind.We all grapple with such situations and our decision often becomes a cause of our happiness or sorrow!

7. ThunderKeys profile image63
    ThunderKeysposted 6 years ago

The mind needs to be a filter for the heart. If not, you might over emotionalize, which can put your brain, your heart and your whole body at risk.

- Duddy.

8. Pollyannalana profile image86
    Pollyannalanaposted 6 years ago

Both, definitely, one cannot rule without the other. it's like bread and butter, maybe toast and jam. Ask them both before deciding anything and even then it is important to tread waters carefully at times.

9. www.lookseenow profile image60
    www.lookseenowposted 6 years ago

The true God is in the heavens but I am on the earth. That is why my words should prove to be few.  Do not let my voice sound stupid because of the heart’s penchant for sounding off. (Ecclesiastes 5:2-7) Says: 

“Do not hurry to open your mouth, because it’s the heart that motivates the mouth. What’s in the heart the mouth verbalizes.  Do not let it be so hasty to speak.  Let your mind meditate so as to answer.  Then the mind that carries more wisdom, and logic can overrule the heart.  It’s the common saying:  ‘God knows what I’m trying to say.’”           
    I can be listening but not really paying attention.  That’s my heart wandering like a boat drifting with no oars, and no rudder, it goes with the current—no current—no drift.  Do you get my drift?  My heart was not in an abundance of words, that says nothing. 

“Do you get my drift, why’d you leave oars behind?” 

“They floated away with the tide, I wasn’t paying attention—my heart was not in it.  It’s too late to retrieve them. Besides, I do not hear the dialogue, so I’m not as alert to mind reading like I used to be.
    http://setnewgoal.blogspot.com/2009/04/ … words.html

10. nabeelplus profile image58
    nabeelplusposted 6 years ago

i believe you should listen to your heart in such situations

11. KateWest profile image76
    KateWestposted 6 years ago

I've gotten into trouble when I've been overly reasoning about matters of the heart. In general, life decisions should be a balance of heart and mind, but in love, follow your desire, if at all possible (and you're not doing something really wrong, of course).

12. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 6 years ago

According to the increase,neither one.They are matter,there is a spiritual explanation without using heart,mind nor brain.It is all matter.Intuition ,or from experience, is a choice of decision,which is a spiritual explanation.

13. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 6 years ago

My mind thinks what I intend or want to do but my heart will feel if it is right to do so.

For me, it will likely to process both - first will be my mind thinking of it and then my heart will come in to check if I should be doing it.

The mind is always thinking of doing things but never rule out what the heart feels as our heart normally will decide what is right or wrong.

14. akuigla profile image60
    akuiglaposted 6 years ago

Heart will bring you joy and sorrow.
    Mind will bring you money.
    Depends what you want from life.

15. celafoe profile image56
    celafoeposted 5 months ago

if you profess to be a disciple of Christ -- the NEITHER.    The heart is deceitfully wicked and the mind is your flesh also untrustworthy.
    The only thing that can be trusted, and only is available to those baptized in it.  is the Holy Spirit of God.
    trusting in any other thing is walking in your flesh which scripture declares we must crucify