I'd appreciate feedback on this jewelry making tutorial Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Margaret Schindel profile image95
    Margaret Schindelposted 7 years ago

Hi! I used to be the senior and technical editor for a jewelry making magazine, where I edited contributors' step-by-step tutorials.

I cannot figure out why the following jewelry making tutorial isn't scored higher (currently 81) or being considered for one of the niche sites like FeltMagnet:

Make This Stylish Eyeglass Holder That Converts to a Beaded Necklace in Seconds!

It's a great beaded jewelry project - pretty, practical, easy enough for beginners and interesting enough for experienced beaders. It has detailed, step-by-step tutorials with helpful tips and large, close-up how-to photographs. Readers' feedback has been excellent.

I would be very grateful for feedback and suggestions.

Thanks very much!

Margaret

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would check your keyword use. It is over the top in the opening text (including pic caption and plethora of headers). It makes the text feel unnatural and search engines are sensitive to spammy keyword use.

The intro is a bit long as Marisa says and there is a bit too much of a copywriter feel, for me. Some people seem to like that kind of thing but it will have others banging their heads on a wall.

Once you get down to the info, it is obviously a very useful page. Didn't really think about Amazon ads. Not enough caffeine in my system yet.

Margaret Schindelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much, Will! I'll go back and look at the keywords in the intro, headings and photo captions and see what I can cut. (I'm hoping that trimming the intro will also help in that regard.)

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I just took a look and it looks much better, BUT you still basically have three headings at the top of the Hub - one the main title, then the MFP image, then the title repeated in different words.  Then you repeat the same title again under the series of photos.

I know that used to be good SEO but Google has got wise to it and now views keywords repeated in multiple headings and sub-headings as a sign of spamming, so I suggest removing the heading that appears under the first image - I think readers would've got the message already from the title and the picture!

Thanks very much, Marisa! Sounds like a great idea. I thought we were supposed to have a heading for the first capsule, but it that isn't required, I agree that removing it would be an improvement.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, there's no rule that says you need to have headings on any capsule.

Thanks for letting me know, Marisa! Good thing, too, since I've already removed that heading per your suggestion (and also changed and shortened the title a bit). wink

2. sallybea profile image97
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is an incredibly detailed hub and I do agree with the others here that the title is too long and is repeated too many times.
      I think the images could be improved in Windows or with Photoshop as they appear too dark on my screen and could possibly be lightened quite easily.  I think flash was used where natural light always seems to work better for product photography. 
      Not sure if 2 Amazon ads are too many!   I do prefer Amazon capsules to a link so that I can see the product straight away but other may not agree.

Thanks very much for your feedback, sallybea! I hear you all loud and clear about the length of the title and the intro and the repetition, and I'll definitely work on that. smile Like you, I prefer the image preview of Amazon capsules, but since the products are in bulleted lists of project materials, supplies and equipment, I thought the Amazon text links would be less intrusive/sales-y than capsules.

Thanks also for the "heads up" about the photos looking dark on your monitor. I've checked them on three different laptops (since all monitors are adjusted differently) and they looked fine on all three. I'd be very interested to hear whether anyone else thinks the photos look dark on their screens. (BTW, I did use natural light - the pix were shot next to a window.)

Thanks again for your feedback - much appreciated!

1. sallybea profile image97

The spectacles looked as if they had been shot with flash.  Sorry if I was not correct about this.

No problem, sallybea! I appreciate your feedback. I shot the photos quite a while ago, but as I recall I was having a lot of trouble with reflections in the glasses and may have tried to retouch them (obviously inexpertly) to help with that problem. I no longer have that particular eyeglasses chain, but I may just make another so I can re-shoot the problem photos. Thanks again!

1. sallybea profile image97

You are welcome.  I'd like to see those lovely pieces against a really white background.  Apart from those little problems, I think you have done a terrific job of explaining the Tutorial.

Thanks so much for your kind words, sallybea! My "day job" is extremely busy, but as soon as I have time to recreate the eyeglass chain/necklace, I'll try shooting it against a white background and see how it goes. smile

3. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Along with keyword density that others have mentioned, images are very important to a tutorial like this one. I suspect that the fact that several of your images are pixellated is causing an issue. In particular the images with the captions "Learn to make a fashionable beaded eye glasses leash that instantly converts to a necklace." and "Eyeglass holder ends attached to jump rings (the one on the right has been attached to the chain with one of the lobster claw clasps)" look extremely grainy on my screen.

Thanks very much for your feedback, Christy! I'll take another look at those photos and, as I mentioned previously, I'm planning to do more to reduce the keyword density. Much appreciated!

4. Gloriousconfusion profile image91
      Gloriousconfusionposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see it before you made the amendments, but, looking at it now, it looks fine to me.

Thanks very much, Diana!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

It's a great tutorial and the Amazon products are in links which HubPages likes, so I don't know why it hasn't been picked.

One thing that occurred to me is that the introduction is too long.  You seem to have three headings all saying the same thing, which is slightly irritating and might be seen as keyword stuffing.  Also a rather pointless quiz (if you're going to include it, it would be better at the end?). 

I would certainly be submitting it for consideration if I were you.

Thanks very much, Marisa! I appreciate your kind words, and your insight about the intro and the quiz is very helpful. I'll go back and tighten up the intro and take another look at the quiz.

3. Margaret Schindel profile image95
    Margaret Schindelposted 7 years ago

Thank you all for your very helpful feedback! I made some changes this AM based on your input and already the score has jumped from 81 to 89. I still want to do a bit more work reducing the number of keywords.

I'm very grateful for your help. Thanks again!

Margaret

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)