A complete copy of Hubpage Pages?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Redneck Lady Luck profile image61
    Redneck Lady Luckposted 7 years ago

OMG what is this? They just pick up complete pages off the internet? It appears to be a live hubpages site but is not credited to hubpages.

Pull the url together to see the page as I separated it so as not to give them a live link.

http://greatfood  andwinesites.com/ReviewSite/recipes/Squidoo-Roadkill

I thought I had seen everything.

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How odd - it's like a live mirror. I can get to my account details and everything.

Not just HubPages either. They have other complete sites there too.

Love the copyright notice at the bottom.

This is a job for staffers.

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Redneck Lady,
      Is this for real???

Redneck Lady Luckposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I sent a message to Hubpages staff to ask what it is. I was searching for plagiarists and discovered this. I am totally confused.
        I also found the person responsible on Twitter.

2. neosurk profile image88
    neosurkposted 7 years ago

It seems as if it's embedding a whole page onto itself. Do not input any username or password in the popup that flashes as you enter the page.

I didn't have to - I was already logged in. It's a live version of the site. I can get to any of my hubs from my account page.

So is everyone from Hubpages on this website? Is it a redirect directly to Hubpages or a means to attempt to divert traffic from Hubpages? Yikes! It is amazing what a person can find other people doing out there.

1. kenneth avery profile image79

@ Redneck Lady Luck . . .I apologize for mistyping your name a little while ago. I tried the link that you posted and all I got was "this page cannot be displayed," so would you please post it again? Odds are, I mistyped that link in my search bar.
          Thanks a ton!

I left spaces so that I would not post a live link. Copy the link and then remove the spaces. smile

@ Redneck Lady Luck . . .
              I am so sorry. I must have deleted the site/link by error. "Please," send me this link again
              Thank you, my Good Friend.

It's in the first post in this thread, Ken.

Here you go...

http://greatfood  andwinesites.com/ReviewSite/recipes/Squidoo-Roadkill

There's one space in it between food & and. You have to copy (highlight the link, then press Ctrl C). Then click into the address bar in your browser, which will turn blue, and press (Ctrl V), then click in between 'food' & 'and' and delete the space. Press enter and the page should display.

2. neosurk profile image88
        neosurkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, what I meant was don't put your username or password in the box that popups when you first open the site. Otherwise, yes, I'm also logged into my hub account already.

3. Lord De Cross profile image69
    Lord De Crossposted 7 years ago

The mirrored HP will show your account as though you were signed in. So odd and horrifying.

4. Lipnancy profile image79
    Lipnancyposted 7 years ago

This is what I found on the site...

How does Great Food & Wine Sites work?
    The team at Great Food & Wine Sites scours the net for good sites and blog pages to include in the site. Site owners and bloggers submit their own sites and pages for consideration. Far more importantly, users like you recommend sites and pages, and review and rate them, and other sites you find on Great Food & Wine Sites. The reviews and ratings work rather like the ones on Amazon and tripadvisor. In the case of Great Food & Wine Sites, the sites and pages with the highest number of high ratings are the ones that are featured as “Top 5” sites within their category.

Just curious if you are getting page views from this site?

Looked and yes I am getting visits so it must be a redirect to Hubpages and other featured websites. Very strange. I still have not heard back from the Hubpages staff.

@ Redneck Lady Luck,
        Would you mind sending me the LINK to this site? I want to check it out and see how it might affect me.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I'm a bit confused about it because when I went to the site, I noticed MY NAME in the banner at the top of the HubPages article. 

I don't think it is copying our articles - I think it's just fetching the Hub and opening it within a frame on their site.  That means if someone is viewing your Hub on their site, they are still actually seeing it on HubPages - there's no redirect involved.  But I've written to the site owner, Robert Joseph, and we'll see what comes back.

It would be another route to our articles but would it not be also a redirect away from Hubpages as well. I am very confused as to whether this site is a benefit or not. Strange way to create a site and not sure if it is a good thing or another way for scammers to feed off of other people's work.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sites are legally permitted to provide the name, http and short summary of any article  so that people who want to read it can click on the link.  However, they are never supposed to reprint the entire article.  Are you seeing complete articles or just partial summaries?

It's the whole site embedded into another site... with other sites also embedded. It's strange. Go have a look, I don't think it's dangerous.

The link will take you directly to OP's hub, but from there you can go anywhere on HP.

I wish Hub staff would chime in.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

They are displaying whole articles but they are not "reprinting" them.

What is happening is, they are displaying the live HubPages site inside a frame on their site. So when you're looking at a Hub, you're not looking at a copy of the Hub - you're looking at the actual Hub.  So if a reader is reading the Hub there, it's just as good as if they'd come to HubPages, we're still getting the views and the clicks.

That is good then. I think though that I prefer sites which just host a snippet.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is so strange.  Why would they do that?  I mean, it's great to have the extra views, but what do they gain by sharing them through their site?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm guessing it's because they make money by having advertisements in the frame section.

Might be a coincidence but my Adsense (the part outside of HP) has jumped mightily over the last couple of days Of course, when I say 'mightily', it's gone from pennies to almost £1 sterling per day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)