How to write a Novel?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. FirstTimeV2 profile image60
    FirstTimeV2posted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13357428.jpg
    At first, I thought of writing a novel is a piece of cake, but when I actually started to do it, I encounter a lots of problem and ended as a failure. Now I want to make a come back and try it one more time, that's why I write this discussion to get some Idea, information and guidelines on how to write a good novel. 

The question is? Are you willing to share your thoughts and help a stranger to solve his problem?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Writing a novel is easier for some than others. For me, I follow a very simple method. I sit down at my computer, start typing, and the story just comes. I kid you not. It's that simple. For me, the more difficult part is if I stop writing for any length of time in the middle of the novel because then I've forgotten what happened. I  have to do it over one time period and write every day.

Apparently, most bestselling writers use this method. The story just downloads into your mind.

Okay, that said, there's the usual stuff about finding a nice place to work, outlining the story, having a backstory on characters. All of this can be read in dozens of books on how to write.

My biggest tip would be to have an incredible amount of factual knowledge to draw upon. I covered this in my recent articles on why good writers read. Without that large database of factual information, it's incredibly difficult to write because one does't have sufficient information to draw upon.

I think the reason myself and other writers simply 'download' is because we read so much.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The only thing I'd say about that is that it is - as I'm sure you know - only the beginning of the process.  Once the story is down on paper, that's when the real work of editing and polishing starts!   

I think that's especially true for inexperienced writers. I've been critique partners with a few newbies, and those who claim their writing "just flows" often don't have lovely prose - they have verbal diarrhea.  I'm the opposite - I tend to overthink and over-edit as I'm writing, which make for very slow progress and sometimes, a stilted result. 

The bottom line is that we are the worst judges of our own writing, and learning to accept and learn from critique partners and editors is the most important lesson you can learn as a writer IMO.

Well, that's what you have painfully pedantic sisters for! She will spot the most minor grammatical error, etc. smile

However, I find the polishing to be the nicest part. I generally don't do a second draft because most of what I write comes out pretty okay.

That said, Marisa, I have been writing for more than half a century and have been acknowledged by many as having a particular talent in that area. I've learnt a lot along the way, and the more one does it, the easier it is. I don't think a day has gone past in 50 years where I haven't written 5000 words.

Remember, I don't talk much because I have an auditory processing disorder so ordinary conversation is difficult and distressful for me. I cope by writing.

I'm just saying that when talking to writers without your many years of experience, it's important to remember that your ability now is at a much higher level than when you started out.

I don't have anywhere near your experience in writing books, in fact I have yet to finish my first novel.  Where I'm at right now, I know I'm a bad judge of my own writing.  And that's the case for most writers IMO, until they have a LOT of experience under their belt.

CritiqueCircle has really highlighted that for me - a month ago I picked up a novel I wrote several years ago and I thought, "hey, this is good, I'm going to finish and publish it".   After posting the first 5 chapters on CC, I was soon disabused of that notion - they got picked to pieces.  However, the criticism was constructive and you know what?  They were absolutely right.   I've now plugged the plot holes they noticed, and addressed other shortcomings, and I think the story is vastly improved as a result. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/im-good- … -pottinger

I think this article is great advice for brand new writers:

http://www.justwriteabook.com/blog/writ … ditor-yet/

I'd like to see what you wrote. Can you send me a chapter?

http://bestebookstories.blogspot.co.za/ … words.html

Certainly work has to be edited by a professional editor. I understand that but it's not what we were speaking about. You were speaking about second and third drafts. I don't do second and third drafts. I do one draft, do an edit (I worked for two publishing houses in London as an editor), and would submit for publication then (after my sister had a read through).

That's me.

With regard to new writers, I truly don't kow what to say except to share my experience of writing.

Addition:

Just thinking. My first book which both my sister and I edited was only a first draft. It got through the first round of the Amazon book of the year, or whatever it's called.

I spent about 3 months writing books during that time. One book got to the top 50 of itunes in Australia. Still another was a series and I uploaded a chapter ever Thursday night at midnight. There were 500 downloads within an hour. It was quite regular. I never did second or third drafts. Some of them I edited. My sister edited two books for me.

That was it.

So while I understand that's not the way other writer's work, it's the way I write.

2. FirstTimeV2 profile image60
        FirstTimeV2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I envy your writing ability, Maybe If my english can compare at least half, I can write a good one and After reading your comments and ideas, I realize how poor and badly my english. Now I'm sure for myself, I have a very long way to catch up.

But you have to start somewhere. Reading books you enjoy will help you absorb language without even thinking about it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Join CritiqueCircle.com. 

I have a novel which has been sitting in my virtual bottom drawer (i.e. in a file on my PC) for far too long.  I'm finding CritiqueCircle is giving me the tools and the motivation to get it up to standard and to finish it.

3. FirstTimeV2 profile image60
    FirstTimeV2posted 7 years ago

The site looks helpful for me, Thanks for sharing.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

There are a lot of different factors that can stop people from finishing a novel.  For me it is important to have a basic plot, and especially the ending, worked out in advance.  But I know other people can just make it up as they go.

I'm in that category.   I once followed the advice on a writing site, and sat down and wrote a plot outline for a novel.  Once I'd worked out what the ending was going to be, I lost interest in writing the story.  I still haven't written it!

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, many of my writer acquaintances said the same thing.  Whatever advice one writer might give, another will have had the opposite experience.  Basically it comes down to each of us working out how to get the job done.  I have written several books now and each one had its own set of obstacles.  Persistence is key.

I agree, Persistence is the most very important thing to all writers.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I would agree with that.

2. FirstTimeV2 profile image60

First, I want to thank you for sharing your idea. Second, You're right, Plot is important it may bring the whole story, and keep on writing like you can foresee the future.

5. Paxash profile image94
    Paxashposted 7 years ago

I've been struggling to write a first novel for years. For me, it's a matter of putting in the time and being persistent in hammering it out. For others, it might be different.

I find writing advice generally isn't very helpful since it tends to boil down to "it's different for everyone," but I do quite like the advice Chuck Wendig gives out on a lot of his blog entries at terribleminds.com. So that may or may not be worth checking out in your case.

There's a lot of sense to your comment, It may be hard for the others to compare their work, because they have different aspects on writing. I'll give a try and look for this Chuck Wendid  blog. Thanks for sharing your idea.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)