Need help improving hub for a niche site

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 6 years ago

A few months ago, I've submitted my Blackout hub to the Owlcation niche hub site. It was declined, since they believed it would be better suited for How They Play, since I've got one section on playing board games. I've looked at both niche site's editorial guidelines and are stumped on how to fix it. I also asked my fellow hubber friend, Glenn Stok, for his input on it too. I'm up for any ideas on how to improve it and fix that section for either niche site. I hope to resubmit it next month to the right niche site. I've included the link for any suggestions. https://hubpages.com/education/What-to- … utBrownout

1. k@ri profile image84
      k@riposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kristen.  This header, "Family Time with Family Game Night/Snuggle Time" should probably have a comma after Family and before Game.
      I don't think you need the  paranthesis  and the comma "(like I do),".
      There is redundency in this sentance.  Also and too mean the same thing. " You can also snuggle with them, too."
      I think a comma would work better than a slash here:  "at school/college or work".
      This seems like a run-on sentence to me:  " But now it’s been back for a few years, thanks to the Hub Network, that brought back the classic board games and made it interactive with audience participation."
      Instead of saying "you can do is doing"  you can probably just say Another thing you can do is pray.  "Another thing you can do is doing some praying if you feel like it.
      A comma would work better here than the slash: "Meditate/Pray and Power Nap"
      This "tip" repeats information given in the previous "tip":  "Tip: Make sure you have plenty of spare batteries for your boombox or radio, or even for a spare flashlight." .
      "croquet" is a game with mallots and balls.  I think you  mean crochet.
      "How about scrapbooking or make a collage?"  Scrapbooking or make is not congruent.  Scapbooking or making woud be better, I think.
      "you can choice to get caught up with your chores:  I think you mean choose.
      "leaves/shovel" probably a comma would work better.
      "You can also print out your rough drafts and work on it, too."  Can't print in a power outage.  You should check through this hub and make sure that you specify to do it previous in case, there are things like charging, printing that cannot be done during a power outage.
      "Rest assure them"  I think you just mean to Assure them.  I don't understand the "rest" being there.
      I read once that you should read your work backwards.  Look at each sentence individually to make sure it works.  I now do this to all my hubs. 
      I hope this helps!  smile

2. Dreamworker profile image85
      Dreamworkerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is the second time you've posted about this.  When I clicked on the link, it said the hub does not exist.

3. Venkatachari M profile image84
      Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have left my comment on the article itself. Further to it, I may say that I doubt whether brackets are allowed in the Title. You may remove the words Or, a, and the brackets also from the main title of the article and put the slash after Outage.
      In the subtitle, you can insert a hyphen after Family Game in the header before Night/Snuggle Time. You reread the entire article and you may find many such things.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Normally, if a Hub isn't suitable for the site you chose, HubPages will simply make the decision and put it on a site where it fits better. In this case, I think they were stumped as to where the Hub would fit, because it covers two different things.  Each niche site has its own editor, so it's also possible that the Owlcation editor simply forgot about DenGarden as a possibility.

I would submit it to DenGarden.  Cut the whole "Lights Out" section (people won't be searching for "what to do during a power outage" if they don't know what a power outage is!) and instead, start with a section on the practical things you need to do if the power goes out (e.g. make sure children or pets are safe, go and check your own fuse box in case it's just your own power that's tripped, unplug electronic devices,).

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

If you re-angled it slightly as "how to prepare for blackouts" it might work for Dengarden.

3. Kristen Howe profile image89

That's weird. It should exist. I had problems with the previous post.  Let me repost link.

4. Kristen Howe profile image89
  5. Kristen Howe profile image89

Thanks Kari and Psycheskinner for the ideas.  Dreamworker, let me know if this link works.

6. Kristen Howe profile image89

Psycheskinner, I think you meant Owlcation and not Dengarden.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

No, she meant Dengarden.  This article could offer helpful information for householders on how to prepare for a brownout or blackout.  Dengarden is for useful Hubs for house AND garden.

7. Kristen Howe profile image89

Hi Marisa. Okay good point. Wrong niche site then. I'll keep it in mind. Venka, duly noted.

8. catspyjamas profile image71
    catspyjamasposted 6 years ago

It seems more fitting for How They Play. The bulk of your article is about how to spend your time, rather than surviving the blackout. If it was put in the wrong niche, you would get people clicking away quickly if they we looking for help in what to do during a blackout. And that would effect your status in search rankings.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

HubPages will decide which niche site it goes to, not Kristen.   The system allows you to nominate a site when you submit the Hub, but that's only a suggestion - it's the HubPages editor who decides where it goes.

In this case, I think it was rejected because it's not targeted enough at one site - bits of it could work for How They Play, but then all the "preparing for a blackout" stuff isn't relevant to that site.

9. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Some general style advice:

Get to the point quickly.   You need to convince your reader in the very first paragraph that you're going to give them what they're looking for.  In this Hub they're looking for information on what to DO in a power cut, but you give them information on what a power cut IS.  That's not what they want.  They won't scroll down, they'll click back to Google and look for another article.

Never talk about "Hubs", unless you're writing an article about HubPages. 90% of HubPages readers are not Hubbers, they've never heard of HubPages and won't know what you mean.

Never use the Heading on a photo capsule.  Use the caption instead.  Having headings on photos and on paragraphs is confusing for the reader.

Make sure you understand the rules about Amazon capsules. That torches capsule will just get snipped, because you don't say why you, personally, recommend those particular torches.  Also you've put it in a section of the Hub which is all about playing games, not in the section about preparing for the power cut, so it's irrelevant.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)