How many of you do volunteer work?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I've had some amazing experiences recently, and would like to know how many of us Hubbers are involved in charitable organizations, or do volunteer work or help the needy in some way?

Am thinking of trying to gather us Hubbers together to start an organized HubPages kind of charitable thingee (cuz I think we would rock it), but would like to know your mindset first.

1. melbel profile image95
      melbelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have never done volunteer work, but have always been interested in doing something for the environment. I don't live in an area where there is a whole lot to do, but I am hoping to move to a city soon where I can feel like I have the ability to help out with something.

2. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

I only do charity if it strikes me, at my core. I don't go looking for it.

lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

At least you're honest. I totally respect that.

3. Beth100 profile image67
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I volunteer in our local community youth programs, coach youth sports teams and volunteer for our seniors.  For larger organizations, it varies depending on the organization.

I have some larger organizations in mind. Wonder if you're willing...

4. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

Thanks Irohner. I'm more of a charity in my back yard kind of girl. Would be nice if the whole world was the same then we wouldn't have to do charitable works. Just my thoughts.

5. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I volunteer for a no kill cat shelter called:  Cat Adoption Team here in Portland, OR.  I love it, a very important cause to me. 

Do lots of volunteer work for our school, too (if that counts).

Luv that you're into the animals, just like I am. And for the rest, it all counts. Every little bit.

6. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

once a year we volunteer for our church - but that's it...we do not want to strain ourselves

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I have done volunteer work in the past, and given money to charity and to people who ask me directly and in the street my whole adult life.
    I am the mug who splits what I have even when I'm broke! I am the fool who stops and changes the car tire. Not a choice really, that's what Dad always did and I saw the good it brought to peoples lives, so it's easy for me to see.

I have been hungry, cold and even alone in my early life, and know how it feels to need a hand.
    The problem has always been time more than money. I look after a big family, (lots of babies to sit) and have little time other than that these days to volunteer.

Earnest, this is the answer that was totally expected. You're already giving all you can give, and I knew that would be the case. Kudos, big boy. And keep it up. You're definitely a role model.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I have volunteered in the past for Special Olympics. My first was at a telethon. The second was a lot more fun, at the Provincial Games. I had a great time that day and really got to meet the athletes. It's hard where I live now because the organization does not seem to be very organized smile

9. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

That is so cool, I am on my son's school's commitee, we plan all the fund raising it's good fun. I am very much liking your idea.

10. lrohner profile image68

UW, I do the Special Olympics thing every year. And I love it. Wren, thanks for the support. I'm thinking something big. Something us Hubbers can make a difference at. I'd really like that.

11. HubChief profile image70
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

I volunteer often at my child's school during their seasonal get togethers.

Very satisfying to give back to our community

12. lrohner profile image68

I love what y'all are doing. Is anybody in for something bigger? I'd love to see us Hubbers doing something for charity as a group. Who's in?

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you have in mind?  Irohner, I actually have an excellent fundraising idea that benefits the Ronald McDonald House...  It would work well globally.  I've been an active participant in my local RMH.  Read this:  http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/other- … llections/

No skin off anyone's back, free, great cause, good for the environment, etc...  If enough people did it here at HP it would be fantastic.

13. E. A. Wright profile image73
    E. A. Wrightposted 14 years ago

I've done volunteer tutoring over the past few years, and I plan to make time to get started again this fall.

What kind of big idea are you thinking of? I might be up for it.

14. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I work in a nursing home, there are times I stop by and help with no pay and my husband volunteers when we need someone. The other day we took patients to the fair and we were short a helper so my husband came to take a patient around, with no pay....

15. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I avoid work as a plague, so no volunteer work for me please. I think charities are inefficient and have a huge overhead, so no money for them either. Yet I basically feed my parents, who have been robbed by the state of their pension, and I help other people directly if/when I feel like that. smile

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes you do!!!!!

16. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

I have assisted on some Habitat for Humanity homes and there is not much better than to help someone who is busting ass to help themselves and still shows appreciaton for the assistance of others.
    A hand up not a hand out!

17. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

I love to do volunteer work if I have enough time.Sometimes even I need to make time for volunteer work.

18. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Currently I'm working on a set of articles for promotion of Big Brothers Big Sisters, profiling kids who need a big sis or bro for regional papers and magazines.

I support a kid in India...used to work for nonprofits when I was right out of college...Literacy Council..as a volunteer coordinator (we helped adults who could not read), Refugee Service Center as an ESL instructor (though my job was actually in resource development/grantwriting).

So, yep.  I volunteer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)