Why religion is turing everyone on?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (46 posts)
  1. asalvani profile image59
    asalvaniposted 14 years ago

I love religion and everything that comes with it, but I simply get it as a way of being moral towards others. People wrote the bible that was composed of many stories of wisdom to get the people respecting each other, and do less war. That is the same for every religion that exists. Do you agree that religion is a DIY to become moral? I think it is.

1. anjalichugh profile image66
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It does create a fear in the mind which, in a way, forces people to stay moral and do good deeds. Now..how far people succeed to stick to their morals...is a secondary issue.

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't create a fear in my mind. Yet I'm morally decent and do good deeds. Are you saying you need religion to create some kind of fear, in order to provoke a good sense of morals from an individual?

1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In  people with low IQs ,you do

Spankyou tantrum. That cleared that one up quite nicely smile

2. anjalichugh profile image66

You're right Tantrum...in people with low 'spiritual' IQ, it does create fear. Thx for being so understanding. smile

3. mobilephone guide profile image60
            mobilephone guideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

damn, these low IQs really make a mess. let's kill them all.

1. profile image0
              wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stop talking about killing people, would you?  I saw you just said this on another thread, too.

1. mobilephone guide profile image60
                mobilephone guideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's a killing word. want to buy mobilephones?

2. Misha profile image62
                Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Guess he's a serial killer undercover lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you may have just skimmed.
      There is a LOT of war in the Bible, both in the histories and the prophesy. Through it all, God never says, " Now just stop that, and start respecting each other." Often it's quite the opposite.

asalvaniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Rochelle, I didn't want to skim that point, as I also believe God never says anything except of leaving you the choice to decide. However, some think he does.

3. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree with you they are teachings of the greatest souls to walk this planet earth, masters of the highest order who spread the message of the Light,oneness and love. smile

2. Kenny MG profile image73
    Kenny MGposted 14 years ago

I love everything about having a faith, but not all faith is pure. That is why I hate religion because it encorporate evry beleif system, I claim faith in one "Yahweh" God, who came to earth in the person and power of Christ. We travel down the path of multiple gods, thus multiple "faith" at our peril, and not all religions are equal. In Ancient Greece and later Rome, they claim religion but have a multiplicty of gods, a god for every activity and behaviour under the sun. Surely if we beleive in God there must be one central Being through who all that is visible came about and that encourages us all. This is a God that die to save human life, not take it brutally. The crusaders killed many in the name of God, though claiming they were acting for God or Christianity - they were wrong, so are the suicide bombers! Christ came to deliver peace among men, every race, creed and culture are being saved in Him. Morality is a loosely used word in todays world, yet it is about moral conduct and living, representatives of the peace of God on earth.

3. dahoglund profile image70
    dahoglundposted 14 years ago

The point of religion is not to be moral, that is a means, not an end. Relation to God is the point

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

.I don't know but believe that a relationship with the creator is the beginning of the path to morality,
      ..and faith is the beginning of the relationship.
      ..and religion should only be seen as an introduction to faith.
         We should not get so comfortable in religion that we do not grow out of it, toward the light !!

4. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

the word 'religion' comes from the latin word 'religare, religio' which means regulate, bind, tie. So religion is based on a set of rules that tend to unite people under the same belief, under the same laws. That's  all there is to it. And 'The Ruler' can be called whatever you want to . It's all about Regulation, Order; and above all, Belief.  And if it turns everyone on, it's because in the end, it's a big mistery, why people should believe in something that can't be proven.

It turns me off tanrum. Seriously. HP is a site for writers, not a bloody public pulpit. 

I see no need to start banging on (and on and on and on ... ad nauseum) when all that happens is the same old same old.

And I wouldn't mind half so much if all the religions would get together and decide which one is THE one.

Then at least there's a slight possibility that Mark Knowles could be cornered a lot easier. Though I still doubt it.

2. mohitmisra profile image59

Thanks for this info Tantrum smile

5. tantrum profile image60

For me,  none is true.  And I find funny all the people making such a big issue of it lol

Issue driven folks like to take issue. With stuff. or something like that smile

6. asalvani profile image59
    asalvaniposted 14 years ago

Yes, religion is like a lyric that people learn to sing in their own way and then go around telling people: mine is sublime!

My wish is one day to see no diversity in religion(that I call moral development) and fewer messiahs that will be teaching further more diversities to help the humans get through the final stage: death.

We, atheists,  have  been going through that stage without help. You don't need to know anything. You just die !

asalvaniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hehe, well that is correct kinda true.

2. Jerami profile image59

Tantrum... You are my favorite person on this whole wide forum.... THAT  IS TRUE...  Whether you are serious or not... You are telling it like it is, whether you know it or not. All of this religious b. S. is a bunch of crap. Jesus did not die for  a religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!Religion suc-s!!   The truth IS the truth. I wish I knew exactly what that is. Religion does not replace a relationship with the creator.   I think that as soon as I know the truth I will be taken out of here. Call it one of Gods JOKES if you want to. Anyone that knows how to read simple English can read scripture (written in English) and see that religionist just can't seen to get it right. They cause all of the confusion!!! They may have created atheist??? To them I say; Please quit thinking that the word of Gods  needs to be interpretated. Interpretation of Gods word is the root of ALL EVIL. Their God understands the human languages beter than they do!!!! Keep it simple so that a Child can understand it. And then the children may be able to explain something to them!!! I hope that they will listen. What do YOU think ?

I think believers should listen to you. I HATE people trying hard to show me I'm wrong, When it's crystal clear I think I'm right

I think that you are righter than you think that you are

1. earnestshub profile image81
              earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree tantrum is right to think he is right, I think that I think I'm right too! smile

You may have some truth too...  Nobody got it all

smile I wonder if Mark thinks that he thinks he is right too? smile I suspect he does, although how much does a trinity know about itself? smile

Individually it would have a better average but as a whole I think that they don't have as much as they think that they do. whatchathink

7. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

"It turns me off tanrum. Seriously. HP is a site for writers, not a bloody public pulpit. " (frogdropping) .....      lol  lol

What I'd like to see in the religion forum would be discussions about things related to religion - without the pulpit approach.  For example, if the Pope came out with some new "pronouncement" (or whatever they call it when the Pope "speaks out" on one issue or another), people could discuss that the way they discuss it if the President does something.  Or, if Muslim people in America face challenges because of their religion, then talk about those.  Discussions about things being Catholic but using birth anyway (and why); or the different practices of the different religion - I think all this stuff would make for good discussions and better understanding of all religions.  The hypocrisy of religions that preach peace and love but then commit physical, or even verbal, violence and judgment would make a good discussion.  And speaking about judgment, how about discussions on religions that preach "judge not" - but that breed a bunch of people of do nothing BUT judge everyone else!   roll

Instead, you have whoever "spreading the word" and implying (or out-and-out saying) that anyone who doesn't do what his religion says they should is headed for hell.  The only more objectionable to turning the religion forum into a pulpit is turning one of the other forums into a pulpit.   lol

lol So who are you talking to ? Who is 'you' ?Why don't you address someone?I'm an atheist by the way, so I think your post doesn't apply to me .

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure I follow...    The first line is a quote by frogdropping, and I was just "adding" to that.  It happened she addressed you, so maybe that made it look like I was addressing you.  I was just "contributing my two cents to the general discussion" (or maybe 50 cents); or else "inflicting my opinion on others for no real good reason  lol - depending on how anyone looks at it.   smile

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Does not turn me on. smile

But gives me a plenty of chances to tease some very serious people lol

1. anjalichugh profile image66

lol lol lol

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He-he, glad you like it. smile

9. tantrum profile image60

smile thank you jerami !

10. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I often wish that people could just hear themselves. Often if they heard someone else saying it they would argue  whatchathink

11. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

SAY  GOOD NIGHT GRACY ....

Good night Gracy...

12. My Friend Shiyloh profile image60
    My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years ago

Love is not a religion~
                        for this, I am in love with love.

~Shiyloh~

1. mohitmisra profile image59

Religions spread the message of god who is love and their message is of love.

REASON

I am in control of parts of my body.

Something else or some other I controls the rest,

like my breath, heartbeat, veins so much.

Am I really in control? I say NO.

So what is controlĀ­ling everything besides me?

The same force or entity or power controls.

I have never been in control.

At the same time I must have been in control.

We have taken over the planet, bullied other animals.

In fact we have even caged them,

what gives us this right?

Are we abusing our power or does the

game of the survival of the fittest Carry on?

I say we are abusing our power.

This ridiculous precision of revolution, rotation of the earth,

moon and planets for thousands and thousands of years.

Something if not someone has assembled all this.

Based on this accuracy we invented the clock.

What has the capacity to play with or organize such gigantic spheres?

Our solar system is just a small part in this cosmos.

God knows for how many generations this is all going on.

We are connected together as the human species.

Deeper than that blood relationship and friendship.

Deeper the light, love, super intelligent, super entity

What we term as God.

13. imadork profile image70
    imadorkposted 14 years ago

Religion turns me off.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)