Saturday Night and Fly Free

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Finally got rid of all the flies in my apartment. I discovered that the screen in the bedroom window was loose and there was a huge gap. The previous tenant had taped it down and the tape had come loose. I've managed to close the gap but the super will have to fix it.

What a fun way to spend the day...yuck. I had tried to find a fly swatter with no luck. A book did just as well. At least it got me to get the vacuum out to suck up all the fly guts smile

Whatever, I'm noticing more flies this year than before, wonder if the damp summer had something to do with that?

1. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed an increase of fruit flys and flea's. This is the first summer frontline has failed for my dog.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Ah, you got me going for a moment - fly free.... lol

3. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Here's wishing you a fly-free Sunday!!

4. Beth100 profile image71
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Had me thinking that you meant something else!  I really don't like flies, but those pesky mosquitos are the ones I really, really dislike!  Thank goodness the cold weather is setting in (brrrrrr)!  Enjoy your fly-free Sunday!! big_smile

5. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Glad you are fly free!  A newspaper works well to smile

6. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

Ugh-Aren't flies just THE most annoying insect...bug...whatever??? big_smile

So glad you got rid of them all, and can be fly free!

Have you seen the latest in fly swatters?  It's shaped like a very small tennis racket, has batteries in the handle, and delivers a shock when you swat the fly--probably not a good thing to have if there are little kiddies around, though, lol...smile

Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bought one today and it didn't work at all, I'm taking it back smile

1. Lily Rose profile image86
        Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We have one of these - I won't touch it because I hate killing bugs (yuck!), but my husband gets such a kick out of "zapping them" - sometimes you even see a spark!

2. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

UW I've had one of those little bug zappers for years. We love it. The sparks just fly when you zap a fly, spider or off the heels of a pup getting into mischief. Now once is enough for the pups as they learn quickly and from there on you need only point and click. Watch them scoot! Do get another one. Oh, and my pups have destroyed several of my 'old fashioned' fly swatters, thus the sparking of their heels.

7. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

You certainly got my attention , Fly Free!!! I thought you were promoting airline tickets. lolololol this made me smile. smile

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

UW We are soul sisters. I have been battling fruit flies today.

I hate fruit flies, I had those a couple of weeks ago. Nothing like my workplace last summer, we were overrun with those little buggers.

9. smokenchic profile image60
    smokenchicposted 14 years ago

good that u got them all UW, darn varmints... smile

10. Gemsong profile image63
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

Had a fly issue of my own in my tiny cabin kitchen. My husband left his shop vac in the dining room and I thought.... Sucks them right out of the air. It was cool. And no fly guts anywhere.

1. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Shop Vac is known to all flies and insects as a Black Hole!  smile

11. tim-tim profile image71
    tim-timposted 14 years ago

You are funny:)

12. flread45 profile image58
    flread45posted 14 years ago

You should be making jelly with those fruit flies Nelle Hoxie!!

13. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

I'm working nights down here in the mountains and before the sun went down I thought i was going to commit suicide with all the flys, fruit flies and aphids.  Things are much better now that the evening has started to cool off.

Hope your Sunday goes completely fly free.

14. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I'm just horrified to discover that you have any flies! I thought every fly born, was born in Australia. We get walls of em in the summer! smile

15. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

We get mosquitoes (lots and lots of them all Summer), to the point where I think I should list my town as "Mosquito Land, USA".  Lots of big moths that have faces like little, tiny, bats too.  I think all the flies in town hang out on the doughnuts and croissants at a certain doughtnut/coffee shop that's housed in a convenience store/gas station.

(I once e.mailed the company and politely suggested they find a way to cover their bakery items because some customers may not want the stuff any time but Winter.  They sent me a coupon for a dozen doughnuts (but did I want a whole box full of "fly doughnuts"?  I don't think so.  smile  )

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lisa that sounds awful! We have shops like that here too. Why would you want the product you were complaining about being left uncovered? Nuts! smile

16. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Ernest, my thoughts exactly.  Apparently, my one, polite, e.mail did nothing but get a coupon mailed out; because the products remain uncovered year after year.   smile

With flies stomping all over the icing! Gross! smile

17. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Why on earth are you guys complaining?
    You are sooooo Lucky to have Flys and bugs like that. smile

We have bats!!
    Have you got any idea what they can do to your lunch? lol
    It doesn't matter what you use to swot them.

UW: Have you considered why your flies are coming in, in the first place?  Are you sure the last tenant left? lol

Bats in the icing on donuts? that is beyond gross!! lol

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Lol, that is funny smile The screen is loose and needs fixing, I moved it so the space is now blocked.
      I am grateful I live in a place with reasonable sized insects...

This morning I have another problem. I opened my balcony door to let the cat out and now it's stuck open. Super was not thrilled when I called this morning at 7:25am...hopefully they show up in the next hour because it's a little cool and I don't want the flies to call each other up and tell them there is a party here...

1. Beth100 profile image71
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try this until the super fixes the window.  If you have a propeller fan, place the fan in the window facing outwards.  Turn it on.  Generally, flies won't come in as long as the breeze is stronger than what they can fly through.  Also, you can hang strips of fabric (top to bottom) and use the fan.  This method also keeps the mosquitos out.

Good luck! (If you need, I can send my fly eating dog over...)  big_smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG... You're getting it from all directions smile
        It would probably be best to call a Vet instead of the Super for that problem!
        I guess you know to Never Stand Behind a Cat when it is stuck open lol

3. smokenchic profile image60
        smokenchicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

u r to funny, that is so cute, hell with it put on the music and let em party  away and spike everything that they eat.....lol

18. Pearldiver profile image67

It is mate.... And the Corks on my Hat don't work either! lol

I tried that thing with the corks.Our flies are not like ordinary flies, they just smash through the corks.
      Any more than a dozen mosquitoes here could carry you away so the big ones don't get you! lol

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Before this thread, my thoughts were as follows.  These are the only other countries where I'd consider living:

1) New Zealand
        2) Australia
        3) Canada

Number three is still on the list.  lol

Isn't uninvited writer a Canadian? lol

2. Pearldiver profile image67

lol Would they have you tho?
          I make a really nice fruit slice called a 'fly cemetary.' But no one seems to believe the protein value is so good.. they just like the taste! smile

1. profile image0
            wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Prolly wouldn't have me.  NZ's process is pretty brutal anyway.  Picture of the fly cemetary, please.  smile

1. Pearldiver profile image67

Come and have a coffee one day & I'll make one for you.. you can dunk it lol It's quite safe their legs and wings have been removed....buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz smile

19. Pearldiver profile image67

The thing that upsets me most is that we have to reduce the size of our donuts! lol

I always remember that song: "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly." It must have been one of the first attempts to solve the problem naturally. smile

20. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Flies, mosquitoes, cockroaches, rats, bugs - you name it, we have all of these smile. And they don't have a season, they're here all year round.

1. Pearldiver profile image67

Yep.... I've met a few Rats in my time. lol

.. and even the odd cockroach! smile

1. emievil profile image68
          emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL. You're lucky. I think in some places in my country, cockroaches are delicacies smile.

Hey pearldiver, fly cemetary? That I'd like to see. smile

21. cindyvine profile image71
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

an ant free day would be awesome!

22. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

My cat eats flies when he catches them but since he is blind he doesn't catch them all smile

23. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

UW...would you like to borrow one of my Mascovy ducks? They love the flies, they do leave fair sized plops behind however so I'm not sure which is worse...flies or plop...let me know the duck can be at your doorstep in less then two hours.

Lol, sounds good smile

Super has been, fixed the door temporarily. There are double doors, one needs new rollers. Everything here is breaking down smile

24. B.T. Evilpants profile image60
    B.T. Evilpantsposted 14 years ago

Have you seen the electronic flyswatter that records swings, hits and kills? You can even take it online to compare your stats with other peoples'. If your super doesn't fix the problem, you might just have a new hobby on your hands. Competitive flyswatting is all the rage!

Lol, I love it big_smile

25. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

I've mailed you some frogs, no need to thank me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)