What is the opposite of Usury?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I just saw the word "usury" used in a serious, derogative way on the internet. How many people feel usury is bad? What is usury, besides a high interest rate? And is there another term for when you lend money to people and they won't pay you enough interest -- like when your bank won't pay you enough interest on savings to keep up with inflation? What is the opposite of usury?

1. dutchman1951 profile image62
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Main Entry: usu·ry
      Pronunciation: \ˈyü-zhə-rē, ˈyüzh-rē\
      Function: noun
      Inflected Form(s): plural usu·ries
      Etymology: Middle English usurie, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin usuria, alteration of Latin usura, from usus, past participle of uti to use
      Date: 14th century
      1 archaic : interest
      2 : the lending of money with an interest charge for its use; especially : the lending of money at exorbitant interest rates
      3 : an unconscionable or exorbitant rate or amount of interest; specifically : interest in excess of a legal rate charged to a borrower for the use of money

the opposite, would be fairness, legal reaasonable charges, I would think

Jon

2. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

It basically means stealing. I don't think there is a clear opposite. There isn't one on Thesaurus.com nor dictionary.com

~thranax~

Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interest is stealing?

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would say a very, very high rate of interest is unfair, don't know about stealing. People enter into stupid deals sometimes, you know like with mortgage companies?

1. ledefensetech profile image69
          ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just because you consider an interest rate too high doesn't matter unless you're the borrower.  If someone is willing to pay 20% interest who are you to say that's too high.  If the lendee thinks the interest rate is too high, they'll pass on the loan.  If they think the interest rate is just right or too low, they'll take it.

Likewise the lender has to find the right amount of interest to charge.  Too low and they don't get a good return, too much and the lendee will walk away.  What's wrong with that?

1. profile image0

Thats kinda what I said

It sounds like you have an absolute maximum number in mind here.  120% interest compounded daily is too much, or some such.  That is an assumption on my part, and if that assumption is wrong, I apologize.  I just happen to think that the terms of borrowing should be between the lender and lendee, nobody else.

You always have a choice.  Sometimes it's a choice among bad choices, but nobody said life is particularly fair.  Besides can you read another person's mind and know for a fact what their sense of morality is?

1. tantrum profile image59
                tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't need to read a person's mind to know that too high interests is a kind of fraud, more so ,if that person doesn't have another choice.
                And if you say that everyone has a choice, you haven't lived enough.

I don't think you've lived enough.  You can make whatever choice you want, but you can't choose the consequences of your actions.  So you better make your actions good ones.  If you think an interest rate is too high, walk away.  You're not me and can't make that decision for me, nor can you do it for anyone else.

2. profile image0

I have lived a long time and been through more than the average and not so average person, I always, repeat always had a choice! Sometimes that choice was going hungry but I did not let someone screw me so I could get some bacon!

lol Sometimes life is not that easy !
                    An example : what if your child is sick and going to die if he doesn't get surgery done? What if you need money for that surgery ? Will you let him die, or would you ask for the money even at high interests ?

2. tantrum profile image59

If it's too high it is.

1. profile image0

Not if its agreed upon!

sometimes you have no option and that'sstealing. Maybe it's not ilegal but it's a sort of moral fraud.

1. profile image0

How could you not have an option?

If you're desperately in need of money, you don't have any option. You have to ask for a loan. If the interest is high you have to accept it anyway. Do you remember  gangsters  ? they used to lend money on high interests.

If you're stupid enough to borrow money from the Mob, then you deserve everything you got.  Let's be honest, the vast majority of those loans are to cover gambling debts.  Another life lesson, don't gamble with money you can't afford to lose.  Here's another, look a twofer.  Don't think you can gamble and strike rich, you can't.  Stupid people get themselves into situations like that, then they moan and cry for someone to save them from their own stupidity.

2. dutchman1951 profile image62
            dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

what about these new credit card rates, raising the rate without asking, or giving you a chance to say yes or no?

thats illegal I think

3. Aya Katz profile image84

Ledefensetech, I agree that we always have a choice. But for the sake of argument, what about someone who has no better choice than to leave money in the bank. What should we call an inadequate interest rate, in that case?

You can always shop around from bank to bank to find the highest interest rate offered, but higher rates usually mean more risk.  Of course I'd be leery of putting my money in a fractional reserve bank, but if you absolutely have to do it, I'd look for a credit union or regional bank.  Less chance of spectacular meltdowns there.  In that case you'd have to weigh the benefits of a higher interest rate vs the risk you're assuming.  In the case of a fractional reserve bank what you're really doing is letting the bank borrow your money.  If more people thought of it that way, well the banking industry would look much different than it does today.

Well, that's my point. I know I have a choice. I know I'm responsible for what I do, whether I am the borrower or the lender. What I am trying to understand, here, is what the majority of people think. How come they have a bad word for exorbitant interest, "usury", but no derogatory term for inadequate interest?

What are they thinking? What motivates them? Don't they know that the way things are set up, they are lenders, too?

No people don't understand that.  Banks deliberately mask that from people because then their depositing habits would change. It's one thing to think you're depositing your money into a bank and you can get it back at any time.  It's another thing entirely to know you're lending your money to a bank and if they have too many bad loans, you'll not get your money back.

By letting people think that they deposit their money and they can get it whenever they want, the masquerade as a fully reserve bank when in reality they are not.  In other industries this would be labeled fraud.  That's why bank runs periodically happen.  People will get scared that the bank is overextended with too many bad loans and people won't get their money back, so they rush to the bank to get their money out, which precipitates the very thing they were afraid of.

Usury also, in the West, comes from Christian theology.  Since Christ taught that you should succor your brother in his time of need, the Church declared usury (the charging of interest) a sin.  This began to change, oddly enough by the Templars (a holy order of Christian knights) who invented many of what are considered to be modern banking structures.  The Templars charged interest mostly due to costs incurred by transporting and storing gold and silver.  It's also one of the reasons the order was destroyed.

But the Templars opened up a floodgate.  Venetian merchants started charging interest as well as other nascent banking groups.  As these banks proliferated, the definition of usury had to undergo a change as nobody wanted to be considered sinful for charging interest.  Thus, in time, usury came to be associated with "unfair" or abnormally high interest.  Modern government have used usury, among other tactics, to convince people that they should control the banking and monetary sectors at least in the West.  They force Third World nations to use central bank policies through organizations like the IMF.

I didn't know that much about the Templars, but I knew usury was a Christian concept. That's why it's so shocking to see leftists use it!

Many leftists are ignorant of history and they only use usury because it's a word that has shock value. Really lefties have a rather low opinion of their fellow man if they think people are as ignorant as they suppose them to be. 

The problem is dutchman is that you don't have a free credit market and that because the government waffles back and forth between giving creditors more power or debtors more power in negotiating contracts that you get the unholy mess we have today.  Ideally the terms of the granting of credit would be drawn up between the two parties which should include clauses on non-payment and arbitration so that both parties are protected.

4. Aya Katz profile image84

I assume the credit company can't raise its rate on a pre-existing debt it carries except within the notice terms set forth in the original agreement.

People often don't read the original agreement.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)