Disappearing Adsense Hits

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Karen Ellis profile image61
    Karen Ellisposted 15 years ago

Okay, I know I've asked this question before.  My google hits are disappearing - two and three at a time.  The explanation I got last time was that they got moved over.  But why only a few at a time?  I don't get it.

Secondly, I have worked hard and put in a lot of time to check out other hubs that offer advice about how to get more traffic.  Yet, today and in previous days (as I still try to write quality hubs and add to my list), I have less and less hits.  How can I have less hits when I'm doing more.  Right now I have 28 hits for the day.  My highest, I believe was something like 36 today.  Wow, I've never had that low of number of hits.  Won't be able to buy baby new shoes until he's in highschool at this rate.

Okay, if it's just me, and I'm writing totally terrible hubs and no one has told me - be straight, someone, please.  No sense in spending my life writing if I'm bad at it.  I'll just do it for myself, so I won't be so embarrassed about it by showing the world.  Some one save me, please.

2. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I think your hubs are very interesting and I always enjoy reading yours.  Maybe you could try making a website also about a topic you like?  This way you would have a "niche" topic people could search for and rely on smile.

3. pjdscott profile image69
    pjdscottposted 15 years ago

Hi Karen,

Your hubs are always engaging, well written and appealing. You need a lot of patience to get hits but I fear you're not going to make loads of money through AdSense on your hubs like most hubbers. There was a thread about the amounts people make through AdSense; the max most people seem to make in a month is a handful of dollars (incidentally, AdSense's terms and conditions prevent users from discussing or even revealing their earnings).

Have a look at Lissie's hubs - she has written about making money online. She works extremely hard and has many different ways by which she gains small amounts of revenue.

I'm here because

- I like the HubPages concept - and the community support from all is fantastic
    - It helps to promote some of my websites (although I have not linked to my own hubs very much)

Have you linked to your HubPages articles from your blog, for example? Perhaps you could think about writing a blog, posting and linking to your hubs.

Another easy way to link to HubPages is through Yahoo Answers. When you setup your profile, make sure you list your main hubpage as a source, and mention that you also write hubs. Then all you need to do is start answering some questions and people will eventually open your profile and hopefully click onto you hubs.

You're doing all the right things, so just continue writing quality content!

All the best,

Peter

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I don't think you are writing bad hubs, but it might be an idea to add a little more text to some of them. Your salsa recipe for instance. If you ignore the list of ingredients and instructions (which will be a pretty similar list to all the other salsa recipes out there) there is not really much information for the search engines to find.

Although, even if you do that, recipes are not easy to get traffic to. My most popular recipe over the last 30 days is this one:

The Best Hamburger Recipe

Which has had 1860 visits this month. But it took me some months before I started getting that level of traffic.

My worst performer for the same period is this one:

How to make Turkey Gravy

Which has only had 4 visits. But, it was popular around thanksgiving and Christmas. big_smile

It takes time to get traffic.

5. Karen Ellis profile image61

Thanks SweetiePIe, Mark and pjd,

SweetiePie, actually all of my hubs are about things I'm interested in.  Oooo, do they come off as though I'm not?  Perhaps you meant I should keep to one subject area - really hard for me as I am so curious and interested in so many things (probably true for most writers/readers).  However, I probably could narrow it down to two or three subject areas.

pjd,  I will check out Lissie's hubs.  Don't think I have read any of hers. I never thought I would get rich on Hubpages, but I have yet to reach $5.00 on Adsense.  The time alotment and effort of writing on hubpages as aposed to finding other avenues that pay better are always tempting - and putting more of my time into those. Yes, I also enjoy hubpages for all those things you mentioned.  I am considering doing a cornerstone hub, but 15 hubs for $25.00 - that's still a great deal of time invested for very little money.

Mark, Yes, I agree the few recipe hubs I have are shorter.  Not much to say, I made up this recipe, enjoy it and wanted to share it - I'll have to work on those and see what I can come up with.  Any hub can always be improved.  Don't you wonder why your hambruger recipe did so much better than your turkey gravy recipe?

Thank you so much for responding to my moment of hysteria - you're wonderful.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would hazard a guess that hamburgers are a more popular food than turkey gravy. Just a wild guess big_smile  Although it was popular at Christmas time. Who wants turkey gravy in the spring ?

You should see the stats for my ossobucco recipe - complete with spelling mistake in the URL  lol - live and learn.

6. amy jane profile image72
    amy janeposted 15 years ago

HI Karen,

Since I don't think anyone mentioned it, give yourself (and your hubs) some time. You haven't been here too long yet, and I think (for me at least) earnings start to pick up after a couple of months. Sometimes it is the hub you least expect to take off that gets really great traffic. Keep writing, and I do not recommend limiting your topics here. Keeping writing about what you are interested in. That is the beauty of Hubpages, in my opinion. You don't have to get bored writing about the same topics all the time.  smile

7. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

You should think about each hub you create as a long term investment.  You may not get a lot of traffic immediately, and some hubs may never get much traffic, but if the subjects are evergreen, they will be out there generating small amounts of income for you in relative perpetuity.  Don't think of the $5 or whatever you made in the last month as your total compensation, it's just the first installment in what may well turn out to be a recurring revenue stream.

There are many authors who have significantly curtailed their publishing, or stopped publishing altogether and had their traffic remain steady. I can even think of a few whose traffic and revenue has continued to grow steadily despite not publishing for quite a while.

8. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Paul is right.  Some of my Hubs dipped but are now getting more traffic via search engines.  One way to kickstart a quiet Hub is to edit it.  Any changes result in more traffic.  Try adding new pictures or rearranging the ones you already have.

A news capsule is good if you can find a relevant topic because that automatically changes regularly which in turn raises the status of the page with Google and HubPages.  A video capsule also helps.

The general rule is the more the Hub changes the better it is rated and the more it gets viewed.
    The other thing to play around with is tags and keywords in order to get the search engines to bring in traffic.

Hope this helps.

9. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Karen: dont give up! The best advice Ive been given is ignore your stats for at lest 3 months: I can't manage to follow it :-) The differences that you are talking about are statistical insignificant - in that they mean nothing: I prefer  to keep an eye on my overall profile stats and fans: if they keep going up I am doing something right! 

I am a newbie at this making money online game: thanks for the kind mention PJD, unfortunately working hard or even writing well (which you do BTW Karen) don't necessarily equate to making money online!  I am on a new quest at the moment for making money online keeping an online journal along the way : so if its any use to you check out : http://100sites.blogspot.com - hope that's not overly promotional!

1. Eileen Hughes profile image61
      Eileen Hughesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Lissie, that link goes to a french ( I think or some other language) how do we find you there.  ???  Maybe its just me..

10. Karen Ellis profile image61

Thankyou everyone for your kind and supporting words.  I love writing and enjoy the way that hubpages is set up.  I'm calmer now, can you hear it in my text?

Investment, patience, rework hub - try to make them better all the time - all good advice.

Thanks.

11. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 15 years ago

Hi Karen,

Definitely don't give up!  I am a fan and I really enjoy reading your articles.  It does take a while to start seeing any $$, and its usually still small change on a daily basis.  Drops in a bucket that add up over time.  Mark is right - rework some hubs to add more photos, video or other information (the history of salsa - where did it originate, what does "salsa" mean, etc.)

Of my hubs, they are 50/50.  I have my top hubs that have done fairly well, and a number of them that languish in the low 60s, despite my efforts to make them more interesting...  I am just learning as I go along.

I liked your idea of writing a series of Hubs on places to visit in Central Oregon, starting with your Smith Rock Hub.  Be sure to add tags such as "things to do in Bend," "tourism," and "vacation."

All the best,  Steph

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)