The Houston Texans...?!

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (80 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

They just fell behind again (in the rankings) and got beat by the Titans on Monday Night Football...during a close game...where they did not prevail!

There is something way too familiar about losing for the big ones all the time. Oh yeah...I know...Fool me once...shame on you...fool me about 200 times ever since the advent of Houston having professional football teams...shame on me and my stupidity. "H-town" Football teams (particularly) always manage to pull us Houstonians in to the most dramatic games and then they come up short. This isn't a whine...it's a fact. Houston professional football teams are too stressful...to even begin to enjoy a game of theirs!

1. R.Edwards profile image62
      R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

try being a Washington D.C. area sports fan...ALL of our teams are sucking!!! Except the Capitals....GO OVECHKIN!!!

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...but at least the Redskins left you with good memories from the past...what have they gotten like 3 Super Bowl wins so far? Compared to our Houston football team (s)...?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You could pray for the next cat5 hurricane to hit Houston instead of New Orleans.  Look what it did for the saints.

Hopefully...there is a better way to achieve that goal than that...We had enough fun with Ike to last us a very long while. The Saints are really doing well this year...It is pretty cool to see them go undefeated. Hope they can hold on to it against the Pats (sorry, Pats fans!)...after next Monday. It will be a great game and match-up.

2. R.Edwards profile image62
          R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...well since you put it that waaaay. lol.

and how bad is it that your neighboring city, Dallas has the state's 'best' team? That's how we feel about the Baltimore Ravens, at least they're not so good this year!

It's bad...R. Edwards...I remember the ol'days (when Oilers started making a name for themselves...finally)...on up to the 90's when we at least thought we would meet "Da' Boys" in the Super Bowl...sometime. Still Waitin' on that one!

Yeah...gonna  have to keep waitin' for that one!

2. profile image0
        SteveAngelesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

t's pretty sad to be in the Bay Area also, we're not a big hockey town out here, so not sure how the Sharks are doin, Giants ain't been the same since the World Series, at least we got Lincecum, Raiders/Niners same story different QBs, A's ha, just patch up the dirt forever, the one winning team..the Arena league's Sabercats are gone, Warriors like to show glimpses of hope here and there. Cal, depends what week we're looking at. On the brightside, Stanford's not too bad.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

They should fire that kicker before he even gets on the plane.

Something about this game looked mighty familiar to the Colts game for us!

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seems like a lot of kickers have been blowing kicks this year. The Ravens kickers have cost them three games this year.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I was really rooting for them last night. Sorry, it may be my fault. sad

4. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

that was sad manly, it was a close game last night

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60

I am very happy for Vince Young though.  Redemption is always the best story in sports.

6. profile image0
    SteveAngelesposted 14 years ago

the Houston Texans will always forever be 8-8, I don't know why, I feel bad for em, but they will always be 8-8, they will win 9 games eventually...when the league expands to 18 games haha

I hope you ain't right on that one. Surely...someday...they can do better than average! If you ask me...they have to beat their mental attitude. This year...I feel like we have enough talent to go toe-to-toe with the best of 'em (and we have....we just didn't finish the deal properly). But...like the Rocky movie once said (or someone else famous?)...you got'ta want it more than the other guy!

7. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 14 years ago

It was a great game to watch. Bironas > Kris Brown.. Kris Brown needs to be on a team that does not rely on the kicker to win or even tie games. They had chances to drive down and score but they just did not convert and they did not seem to have any kind of urgency in their game. On the other hand Jeff Fisher (titans coach) was playing to win rather than going to overtime. Good win Titans and Chris Johnson is the man, he is fun to watch.

8. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

That horse-collar play killed you guys, Manly.  A heart-breaker on all accounts sad

9. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72

Every year they will be picked as the "break out" or "sleeper" team that year, though. On the other hand, after about ten years of that the Cardinals did finally get to the Super Bowl.

Well...we can only hope that for us...someday? Oh brother...I don't think I want to relive "Oiler" days again...no take that back...I know I don't want to. We had our "Love ya' Blue" days...and they were good at the time. They just didn't survive the '93 blow out against the Bills...When the Oilers were up something like 35 points by the end of the half...and then blew it like big companies blow bail-out money...during the second half!

My highlight of the Oilers will always be Buddy Ryan's critique of Kevin Gilbride's playcalling in '93.

Is that when he said he would make a pretty good insurance salesman?

It was a little more direct than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPK3cDl7Ftw

I got'ta get where I can see this you tube video...to see the good ol' Buddy Ryan comments revisited!

2. manlypoetryman profile image80

EEEWWW-WWEEE...Just watched that EYEAM4ANARCHY...Boy...does that bring back great memories (not)...Ouch...I felt that one from here! Houston, Houston...we have a problem...our football teams...have too much drama going on continually...not enough wins!

That's our Buddy! lol

2. manlypoetryman profile image80

Your Right, EYEAM4ANARCHY...Don't know why I said '91...it was '93 when that happened with the Bills, Buddy Ryan, Jack Pardow (sp?)...Kevin Gilbride, Warren Moon...I guess i've been trying not to remember that for so long I forgot the date big_smile!

Yeah, actually that was the '93 playoffs after the '92 season. They fired Jim Eddy the next day and hired Buddy.

3. wavegirl22 profile image47
          wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kevin Gilbride . .poison to my ears ;(

Spoken like a true "Oiler" fan ???

1. wavegirl22 profile image47

Nope . . die hard Giant fan

big_smile

10. R.Edwards profile image62
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

I really thought they would make VY beat them with his arm, which I didn't think he could do. He didn't have a great game statistically, but those 73 rushing yards definately helped...it was funny too, I was certain Matt Schaub would have a killer game and it would be no contest.

11. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Sorry Manly, my Tennessee Longhorns are just that good!

You are rootin' for Tennessee...over a Texas team...Oh...I can't believe it, "A Texan"... sad Say it isn't so hmm!

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am rooting for a Texas team, you remember the Oilers don't you?

How can I forget...yet they up and moved to the "Volunteer" State...and surprisingly have done rather well. Are you cheering for them 'cause of Vince Young?

1. profile image0

Yep, a,nd all the other Longhorns on that team,Griffin,Hall,Scaif etc!

They are going to match up good against Indy...on the next one...it will be one heck of a game!

1. profile image0

What amazes me most is Fisher didn't make a change until 6 games had been lost. I hope VY learns that he didn't have the coaches support and gets himself a big payday from the Texans, I don't really like proball but I like it when Longhorns do well in the pros.

Well looks like...I'm going to have to find someone to cheer for during the play-offs. I think it will be hard to cheer for Tennessee...myself. They are big rivals...pure and simple for many a Houstonian (not all...some still love and miss the "Oilers"). The "Oilers" left Houston with their tails between their legs...as they put upon themselves....by their own doing. Harsh...Nahh! They are grown men...they can take it...and you have to earn respect. Loyal fanhood...does not deserve to trambled upon time and time again...IMO.(Psst...Texans...Sound familiar!?)However...they have re-emerged and redeemed themselves anew...in Tennessee! Good for them...but still big rivals. I'll be cheering for New Orleans to do well this year...they deserve to make it to the Super Bowl. That said...this years play-offs are going to be GOOD!

1. profile image0

New Orleans is a good one to cheer for! Drew Brees is from Austin and his uncle played for Texas, are you beginning to see a pattern?

12. mistywild profile image60
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

living in Houston, TX and having the Texans represent my city and state is embarrasing from my point of view.

Heard that... lol hmm

13. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72

Don't look now...

14. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72

Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have said anything.

Yeah...was that 1/2 time?

The first one was from early in the third quarter. This woulda been mid 4th.

All...I can say is "ouch'...but they didn't fool me this time...I was waiting to see if we could hold 'em the whole game...and mentally prepared if we didn't!

I thought they might pull it off when they were up 17-0.

Me too...then I said to myself...wait...that's how they always get ya'. It was a lot easier to take the loss...when I realized they were fully capable of losing at that point.. hmm !

15. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 14 years ago

Texans need to work on their defense. Especially 4th quarter defense. They cannot seem to close games out.

Precisely!

16. fishtiger58 profile image68
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

Die hard Bears fan. Nuff said.

17. Ron Montgomery profile image60

As a Colts fan, with much respect for the Texans, I have to say that the first pass interference call was a joke.  It was a huge penalty at a key point in the game and it's a shame that an officiating error had so much to do with the outcome.

The Texans have to learn to get past such adversity.  They have the talent to be an elite NFL team.

You are exactly...100%...Spot-on...Correct! The problem with your analysis is that it is true...and that the exact same thing was said about the Houston Oilers...it is like a parallel universe thing or something!

18. fishtiger58 profile image68
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

That penalty call was shameful. That said I don't think it changed the eventual outcome. Payton is just to good. Take away that score for the Colts and they still win.

The way to beat the Colts is to keep Manning on the bench as long as possible...and run-up the score...faster than he can mount up drives down the field...It was working for us first 1/2...we just didn't close the deal.Offense, Offense, Offense...then a strong Defense. I sure am no coach...but it doesn't sound like anyone has figured out how to stop him...this season...yet either!

Maybe and they might have scored on that drive anyway, but the Texans are a two point conversion away from tying the game on that final score without it.

19. acanderson24 profile image69
    acanderson24posted 14 years ago

you have to feel for the Texans...someone said they will always be an 8-8 team unless the NFL goes to 18 games....The kicker missed that kick and that has been routine this year in the NFL. I understand the kicker needs to come thru win he is called upon. But, in my opinion too many teams are playing for the field goal at the end or during the game instead of trying to score a touchdown. They say they are, but the play calling has been horrible in those situations. Its the old saying, " Teams are playing to not lose, rather than playing to win". Even on the college level. It is really getting ridiculous.

You said it...a field goal should determine an outcome of a very close game...once in a while...because that's about the only way a good head-to-head match will end up...not all the time. Close the deal...rack up some points...even if you have to leave some of you on the field....Ok...thats too old school for today's football...my bad! Texans just learned how to get bitten by playing it too close...and by not "closing the deal"!
      Sorry...to harp on them so much (It is good therapy though big_smile)...but I have a feeling like this team...this year...learned from this mistake. It is going to be a long end of season for them...knowing that they had a shot...this year...and everyone knew it.

1. dohn121 profile image81
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to say it, but Gary Kubiak should be fired.  There are going to be a lot of coaches available on the chopping block...I'm just not sure if Shannahan or Cowher would be interested smile

Yeah...I liked Gary...oh well...Taa-Taa, C-ya'! But...I don't think I can hear said ever again in my lifetime..."That it will take a few years for the team to jel!" That excuse got some lame after the first three times I heard it back when the Texans got started. And they continued to use it for about 4 more years afterwards...! I can't bear to hear that line again with a new coach! As if...these guys hadn't played football on plenty of teams all their lifes...and played football for years...and had to master plays and different coaching objectives all their lifes...when joining any team along the way...but don't expect professional ball players to jel in the first year or two...P-LEEEEZE! Can't imagine telling that to any professional or expecting that from any professional...ever! (More therapy smile This is helping)...I just went and looked at some old Oiler footage on YouTube...and need lot's of therapy from our continued "Choke Losses"...over the decades....AAAAGGGHHH!

That's as good as done. I wouldn't mind seeing what Shanahan could do with Schaub.

Me neither...but what are the chances he will take a job previously held by Kubiak?

1. charlybell profile image61
              charlybellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think thats the only play Houston has here, unless they pick up John Fox after Cowher takes his job.

I can't remember a year where so many games have been lost by missed kicks. Teams that play for a field goal instead of trying to score or at least get closer make me crazy. That and when they run out the clock at the end of the first half with plenty of time to score. Don't get me started on the Lions kicking a field goal while down by 18 with five minutes left in the game.

20. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 14 years ago

also having jacoby jones not 100% hurts because he is the best kick returner in the game! hes had 6 td's called back for holding calls!

That's a lot of holding.

21. manlypoetryman profile image80

Way to go...Saints...11-0...outstanding...What about Drew Brees stats on the game...!

22. manlypoetryman profile image80

http://www.ufcjc.com/webadmin/uploads/4112babycry.jpg
    Texans...What just happened against Jacksonville?

23. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Charlie Weiss is available.

24. manlypoetryman profile image80

wishful thinking: Mike Holmgren talks with us (Texans) about getting back into coaching again...with partial to 1/2 GM control. Come on Bob McNair...Do some more of that wheelin' dealin' that got us the Texans in the first place!

Holmgren's last stint as coach/GM didn't work out too good. He needs to keep the headset on and let somebody else buy the groceries. Besides, I think that guy in Seattle resigned early because they wanted to make sure somebody didn't hire Holmgren before his contract ran out.

25. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72

I officially hate the Texans.

1. wavegirl22 profile image47

Eye - if you hate them I support you in this and therefore I hate them too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)