The Holy Trinity vs. Maiden, Mother, Crone

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

I have studied world religion extensively since I was a young girl (for nearly twenty years now) and one of the things I enjoy about various religions is comparing their Gods.

For instance, the Christian faith has a trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spigot.. wait, that's Spirit.  (Five brownie points to those recognising the silly humor.)

Meanwhile, ancient pagan religions given more popularity and research with the rise of Wicca and other Goddess-worship derivatives, these pantheons include a Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

Now, without getting into a conversation about God (the Christian God) being the one true Lord, what do you all think about the similarity?  What about the differences?  How does the shift from a matriarchal religion to a patriarchal one affect people?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think the main simularities are in the Spirit....the Spirit of Love. 
      I think the differences are in the perspective "evils", in which case I believe that everyone has the natural desire to stay away from "evil" things, but where one group views the other as wicked, it brings out the natural desire to defend the things you love and believe in. 

But where the Spirit is, I think it should and is to me, completely acceptable to believe in the things that bring happiness. 

I think the shift effects people because where one believes they have found the one true God, others feel as though they have done something wrong and I don't believe that anyone has or can do wrong when it comes to the way they feel about "God" or "Gods" or No gods.  smile

What do you think?  smile

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Could you enlighten me some more on this.In India we have both Shiva who is lovable and can be very stern and destuctive-the ultimate warrior and Ma or Lakshmi the pleasant goddess and her terrible form or her angry form as Durga.The essence of god is in both.
      regards
      Mohit

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well in my world, Spiritually, there is the Trinity of Father/Mother(as One), Son(Christ Mind), Holy Spirit. and they are manifest in human form as the Mother that is the soul in embodiment that can personify all aspects of the Trinity.The Holy Spirit is the daughter aspect of soul in her highest consciousness. To me, Shiva equates with the Holy Spirit, of comfort and sometimes "destruction" of all that is less than Love.

The Hindu Trinity is Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva and the Mother, as well. Right?

1. mohitmisra profile image60

Yes correct.God is regarded as Shiva or Shakti and both.The trinity as Brahma the creator,Vishnu as the preserver and Shiva as the destroyer-all aspects make god.
          Regards
          Mohit

3. SparklingJewel profile image66

I think that the shift is taking place in the soul of all people. The soul is evolving, because regardless of the gender physical body a soul is in, we are intended to be an integration of the masculine mind and the feminine aspect of soul...everything about us as a being is connected to the soul.
      ]
      Historically, from my readings, I have theorized that there was originally a recognition of Oneness of Father/Mother. Father the Source from which all energy to create comes, and the Mother being the act of manifestation in mater creation. Can't have one without the other.

So the shift from matriarchy to patriarchy came about because humanity forgot the Oneness from which all came..the Father Source of Energy, and only had left the respect for that Energy as the Creation/Mother.

With this integrated Spiritual/human thought-form recognition of Father/Mother God (figure 8 flow of energy) lost,  the human mind could only conceive the mater realms in and of themselves. But the Soul of Oneness, deep within and still connected to Father, continued to nudge the soul to wake up to Father, but the human mind could only outpicture Father in what they created as a paternal society. The Mother being lost somewhere in confusion.

Boy it is hard to express what I want to say in words.smile

2. weblog profile image56
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Similarity is love. I believe the basic thing every religion tries to teach people is to show love and to be kind to other living beings.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Said as only Rowen Atkinson can smile

4. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

tongue UW!

weblog,

You're absolutely right, but what do you think about the shift from Mother Goddess worship to stern Father God worship?  What does that say about the dynamic change in society?

1. weblog profile image56
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what your words do exactly mean. I'm not familiar with Christianity. I told the similarity as far as I know about the basic theme of all religions. Personally, I believe there is one God and only God. I'm from India, I grew up with listening to hinduism where I hate idol worship.

An idol is a physical representation of the cosmic light or god.One must first bow to the idol then go beyond to the light.

Respected Poet, I'm not saying idol worship is wrong. You may do it in your own ways. I was telling I'm not into that kind of worship. That's nothing to hurt others religious feelings and beliefs smile

Sorry meant no harm just sharing.smile

The Muslims and Sikhs are totally against idol worship as they believe it is misleading.

I know about Muslims. Not familiar with Sikhs and their rules.

Guru Nanak the Prophet was against any idol worship and unnessary hardship to the body in order to gain enlightenment.He was god is one-the divine light and all religions lead to it.
                  a nice story about him- i just love him too much
                  He was in Mecca at the Kaaba.He decided to rest and had his feet facing towards the Kaaba.The priest got angry and shouted at him saying dont you know you insult god by facing your feet towards him.
                  To which he calmy replied"You turn me or my feet in any direction where god doesnt exist"

The priest realised he was facing a Master and no ordinary man.
                  Today you have Hindus,Muslims and Christians who are Sikhs worshipping the One divine light.

2. SparklingJewel profile image66

I don't even see the Hindu God aspects as idols...but as portions of my self that i can manifest...because they are of God, a part of God that is All things. So bowing to them means to me bowing to that potential in my self...accepting my self. for the gods/idols of Hinduism that are not what I want to aspire to, I can learn more about who I don't want to be by perceiving what they are and doing my best not to act that way.

Prefect you understand the depth.
              regards
              Mohit

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

What this tells me sadly, is that we have lost our sense of values. The first time it was decreed that all priests must be men is when we began to lose the plot.

Before that, all religions in one form of another worshipped the natural order of things. Life, death, more life. Natural.

Which included a special place for females. The birth givers. The one thing you "guys" can do that we cannot.

Big mistake in my opinion. Fatal to us as a species even.

6. weblog profile image56
    weblogposted 15 years ago

And, what is that about Rowen Atkinson? smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

He played a minister in Four Weddings and A Funeral and mispronounced the wedding vows.

Oh fine. Thanks for the info. I knew him only as Mr.Bean and just aware of he's also into movies. smile

7. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Slightly off topic, but I have a very fine collection of Hindu bronze statuettes that I brought back from several trips to Mumbai. I have Krishna (playing his flute), Shiva (in the Dance of Creation), a very beautiful lady playing a sitar, whom I believe to be Sarasrati, but am not certain, and several castings of Ganesha. I gave a Ganesha statue to everyone in my family and some close friends. If interested, you can see two of the Ganeshas here.

Sorry for deviating.Nice to see your enterest in Indian gods.All will give you good luck.Its generally Saraswati.Ganesha is the destroyer of obstacles and the god of writing and poetry so I do seek his blessings all the time.These represent energies in us and oustside us which we can tap into.Shivas is the cosmic dance one of creation or destruction.Both make up god.
      Regards
      mohit

8. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Going back to the original question, gamergirl, I think the pagan Goddess was somewhat redder in tooth and claw than is allowed for in the fluffy-bunny version of Goddess-worship which is often promulgated by modern "pagans".

The receptivity and acceptance which is native to the Sacred Feminine does not exclude such maternal actions as culling the weak to ensure the survival of the strong in a litter, or pursuing sexuality with complete disregard for social propriety.

The Masculine aspect need not be stern and unforgiving, either.

Patriarchy and the whole "original sin" construct arise from social control, not spirituality in either Masculine or Feminine aspect. Rigid and prescriptive religious types are equally alienated from the Sacred Masculine as they are from the Sacred Feminine.

My experience is that individuals who are truly connected with the Sacred Masculine devote their lives to the service of others. There is no sense of force or violence about them at all.

Control, domination, force and violence are responses to feeling alienated, small, alone and lost, which is how one feels when one has lost one's spiritual centre.

I think patriarchy is a non-spiritual phenomenon.

Jenny

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)