Can a society exist without a religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (94 posts)
  1. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 7 years ago

I think the question is an interesting one.
    But to answer it we need a real definition of its meaning.

Latin word “Re-Ligare”. “Ligare” means “to bind” or to “connect”.  Adding the “re” before “ligare” causes the word to mean “Re-Bind” or “Re-Connect.”

Also the another defintion says

RELIGION
    Definition of Religion
    Merriam-Webster › dictionary › religion
    : the belief in a god or in a group of gods. : an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods. : an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group.

True religion can include the worship of a God or gods but notice it can also be an interest a belief or activity to a person or group . meaning that other things can replace God or gods.
    For example some people worship animals. The cow is considered a sacred animal. Some people worship money because that is their only interest and highest concern.
    Some have living idols as humans In the entertainment fields and will address them in a such a manor as being their idol.
    While people may be irritated with God worship it certainly should not be overlooked and judge alone because there are many things worshiped having nothing to do with God.
    As the latin word breaks it down to connecting or reconnecting to bind it certainly can fit anything.

Kiss andTalesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Where do you think ethics originated from ? The bible is full of ethics .Even the court of law uses the bible. Man has not lived long enough to create it. The Heavenly Father is eternal he is the creator.
      Not creation like man

2. Mark A Heading profile image60
    Mark A Headingposted 7 years ago

If we do something religiously, it means that you are watching something, or doing something that you are idolitry. You are breaking the first Commandments.
    Exo 20:3  “You shall have no other gods before me. 
    Exo 20:4  “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 
    Exo 20:5  You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, 

This is a tough Quesiton. I will end with this. The world not survive with out God. God is still in charge. Revelation 7:1 says...

1After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back its four winds so that no wind would blow on land or sea or on any tree. 2And I saw another angel ascending from the east, with the seal of the living God.

God has angels holding back the 4 winds of strife on this planet, and one day he will release it and this earth will come to a close.

Sonal if that why is to me.
      I can say the bible is the inspired word of God it motivates people to change from bad to good. There are  examples no matter what race or background.
      If this was not the case crime and value of life would be horriffic

3. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

I think that a society would actually do a better job of existing without any religion.

Aime being alive did not happen from our own power.
      Its a gift.our odds are 1 in 4 trillion.humans are rare. The thing is religion is what you make of it.
      There is so many ways people express it. Gratitude for life is a good reason it exist.

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Aime...I would most definitely have a tendency to agree w/ U! Especially in view of the hatred, savagery & butchery some radical religions create! It's all a mind control thing, which is damaging in all ways to human beings. It stifles intellect.

3. Kiss andTales profile image59

Yes do looK me up write to me HP has anything you need to know.
      And if you do notice my choice picture it represent a meaning simply dont judge by a cover. The bible is exactly that.Two people of different ethnic backgounds
      embrace bible .

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13471449_f260.jpg

Absolutely!
    Religion or spiritual guidance are (personal) ventures.
    One doesn't need to belong to a church to follow government laws. Lots of people do what is right without having the promise of living in heaven in the after life or the fear of going to hell.

Dashing I appreciate your comment because you have just pointed out why people hate religion. But if people did more research and looked into other translations they would see a difference in the meanings. No Hell exist.
      Heaven is not open to all.

4 what possible reason would any sane being, who is perfectly healthy & contented as they R w/ their own personal belief system..do research into something else or other translations??What a total waste of precious time!Especially a cult like JW'

First You ask a question to insult .I will first address that is your point. Not mine. Next the word cult is not applied to JW simply because we globally believe in the bible and are not secret or we are public servants. I certainlty talk to all.

4. Misfit Chick profile image74
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You're right, K&T - no hell. There is also no 'heaven'. When we die, we remove our attention from this LEARNING realm of suspended belief to return to the fullness of our natural state of (energy-only JUST like God) being. 'Sin' is a TOOL.

5. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image83
    AshutoshJoshi06posted 7 years ago

Personally I am critical of or rather despise religion. Having seen it being used as a control mechanism determining the fate of individuals, take lives or make them miserable and now it becoming a political tool for propaganda and warfare.

I would say it's hard to really analyze a society or world without it. Just by looking at it from a perspective of it drawing boundaries within the society or creating a fear psychosis, religion may seem useless. But then again, in absence of religion the fear of the Almighty may vanish, which to my understanding is still a driving force of morality and compassion for many or one that impart the sense of purpose, irrespective of whether it's out of fear or love.

But then again a society without religion could be still be a better choice as it would be free from unnecessary obligation to fairy tales or terabytes of forced and manipulative download from generation to generation.

6. profile image49
    Blanche90posted 7 years ago

Hi,I'm Bianca,i think that is possible because like tell esotericism: having faith does not mean blindly believe in a theory or a dogms.
    having faith means maybe the possibility that a theory can be true and work every day in order to experimentally test it on himself. The
    intelligent man-the serious researcher , the true scientist-is never limited to believe or not believe, but accepts a hypothesis as possible and you take the time to verify it.
    Who believes in the survival of the soul after death the body is perhaps the most immortal of those who believe? only those who identify with this body while it is still alive, can be sure that will never die, one thing is to believe,quite another to be.
    faith is the assurance that a hypothesis is valid, although we are not able to verify anocra inwardly. when it becomes unshakable certainty, we can say to a mountain MOVED .... and what will move.
    religions are just a channel to understand these things, if you are always right people, and especially if you are prepared enough to figure out how to tell you things you ,,, some still serves this channel but maybe not to others ... you I advise you to see what he says the ho'oponopono on that. I do not know where are you, I'm Italian and here are several people who do courses in this regard and beyond.

7. MayaK profile image60
    MayaKposted 7 years ago

I believe like every classroom need different subjects on consecutive classes, this world needs a difference in their societies, type of living, culture and traditions and festivals. Every religion that exist whether it be Hindu, Muslim Sikh or Christians they possess something unique among themselves yet the basic rules like respecting elders, bow before the oldest relatives or care for the young one's is the same for everyone. Without diversity this world would be too dull. Only due to the existence of different religion we can enjoy colors in Holi, amazing food in Eid, enjoy Christmas and many other beautiful cultures. Unity in diversity is like a magic that exist among societies. its true many countries possesses only one religion, but I believe a society will be more effective with various religion taking part in it.

1. profile image53
      JackieChanaafposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's a unique way to put it - interesting.

2. Kiss andTales profile image59

If that is your opinion no one will argue or call you names for feeling that way .but I think HP knows the difference . are you challenging what they know and authority , I don't I love people and I love to share truth. I appreciate Hp .

3. Misfit Chick profile image74

'Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me' - God is diverse, existing in all places, people, political parties, etc. Unconditional love is 'light' to be allowed or not (like a light switch).

4. jackclee lm profile image82
      jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes that is a great sentiment but where do you draw the line? We have some groups that practice cannibalism in the past, or cults that commit mass suicides... or in the case of the Mayan human sacrifices... there must be some guidelines...

8. vink21778 profile image61
    vink21778posted 7 years ago

You cannot question existence because it is natural. Can society exists without religion?
    Yes, it can. Nobody can stop it from existence but a question arise here. Would that society be better than this?

Well, to answer this I have to believe on hypothesis. Religion-free society like in animals but they do follow a religion.Keep in mind Religion is just a set of rules.It puts some constraint. Animal follow a set of rules decided by our nature e.g lion follow his religion by not being in good terms with deer. Tell me one living thing that is not following a religion which is basically set of rules nothing more or less than this.These set of rules are decided by nature and our responsibility is not to interfere.
    Now, what about man- made Religions?
    Well, I don't think different-different sets of belief are wrong but again fighting for such stupid things is not tolerable and if you are fighting for proving that only your belief is right, oh brother you are only wise man in the herd of sheep. I was kidding. Remember  if we want to make religion for humans the only rule is any human having different set of belief must not suffer due to our religion.  Take care.

9. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

You have to wonder how much good a person's religion does for them when so many faithfully follow organizations like FOX news who are in the news today with this revelation:

"Julie Roginsky said in her lawsuit filed in New York state court that a misogynistic culture at Fox News, a unit of Twenty-First Century Fox Inc, had not changed since Ailes resigned last year in the wake of a separate sexual harassment lawsuit by former anchor Gretchen Carlson."

If you are going to impact society with your religion, it would probably be more effective if the religious among us would be more discerning in their practice of it.  (Me included.)

10. profile image0
    GalaxyRatposted 7 years ago

I would say yes. Without religion (which can range from worship of money and creation to praise of God), we would find no reason to live. I suggest you read Do You Believe in God and Why? It's named something like that. Once I figure out its name, I'll tell whoever is interested.

Galaxy that is a very honest answer I appreciate it.and really and answer is a world wide proof in museums. YHWH is on papas ,cuniforms , relics .in our english language we pronounce his name Jehovah
      Ex 3:15 this is his name in every Generation.

2. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've never understood this. Why is being alive not enough reason to live? There are lots of great things that life has to offer.

3. profile image0
      GalaxyRatposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, spellcheck...
      "Say no"

11. profile image52
    LubnaAposted 7 years ago

I feel people are following convenience based religion rules and its more of show off. Just to show others their love for religion and forcing others to follow the same...is not good.

The thing is religion is what you make of it.

And for this one should respect all the religions...if i expect from someone to respect my religion then i should also respect other's religion.(Give and take)
    There's absolutely no problem in following any particular religion but imposing it on others just for the ego satisfaction...using wrong words is a problem.
    it's always good to remember God in any form, it's a matter of personal choice but forcing others to follow your choice...not done !!!

The problem is there is on one genuine true religion.
      That is like real money and counterfeit money.
      The real money is valuble.
      The counterfeit is deceiving it really no value except deception.
      Once it is revealed you have nothing and even a loss

We've had plenty a nut job on HP, who were wacky enough 2 think they were here 2 CONVERT & force feed individuals their version of god & the bible.1 by 1 they've been banned.Those that remain will B gone soon,LubnaA & we can B free from a

3. Misfit Chick profile image74

There is no 'one true religion'. God is PURE POSITIVE ENERGY & could care less about human ideals, thoughts or actions. He can only read the intentions of hearts while men write dogma to control each other. Actually READ my spotlight hub, K&T

12. shoaibgmail profile image57
    shoaibgmailposted 7 years ago

The lesson in history is that no, societies cannot exist without religion.

1. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image83
      AshutoshJoshi06posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thankfully I missed all such lessons.

Very true it will always exist from the heart.
      But people fail to realize its because people believe in God they may not commit a crime against their neighbors. If it was not for the elderly teachings of thou shall not kill, steal,lie who could live

13. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

If history is any indication when considering or speculating about  societies without religion and implementation, it might be a good time to run for your life.

14. Oscar McGavin profile image41
    Oscar McGavinposted 7 years ago

Religion has played a vital role in our society since the beginning of time. But over time, it has plagued our society that it is used to cover up the evils of humanity.  It has been used to conquer lands, oppress those who are meek and have taken sides for those who have the power and money.

Yes l love your answer because something that is meant to be a good thing can be used the wrong way or evil way. Most people seem to focus on the evil way.
      But say for example someome used a vehicle in crime should all people be denied to drive ,No

2. profile image53
      shakibaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You are totally right but most of the people use religion for getting power and starting wars and killing innocent people but we should be wise not to punish religion for their fault. I just want a wonderful world without any war or killings.

I totally agree Shakiba.I want the same a world free of war of hate and crime.
      We will have it soon Jesus will see to it under his kingship.

15. Stella Kaye profile image83
    Stella Kayeposted 7 years ago

Any society could easily exist without religion in the modern era, but could not have done so in the early stages of its development. Every society and group of people however small and insignificant has had its gods.

Stella this is true but from mans first beginning there was only one.
      A fallen rebel angel wanted to be equal and made himself a resister to his own creator. That is betrayal.The point is he planted the other gods to confuse and take credit real one

16. manatita44 profile image71
    manatita44posted 7 years ago

Seems to me that we have been creating it for millenia. The 'fors', the against and the in-betweens. Even without believing in God we still give it life. It's like the man who told his Father that the statue had no life, and so his father asked him to leave the house. On his way out he saw the statue and suddenly became enraged, blaming the statue for his demise. He even kicked it. Then his father appeared and said: "Aha! I thought you said my statue had no life!"

Religion, like politics, invades our kitchens; tussles with the very air we breathe. The Soul is in isolation from the divine and will essentially create a Path to find its way home. We may not call it a religion, but it will incorporate rules or regulations; ideas and objectives to ensure happiness or inner peace.

17. wishzion profile image59
    wishzionposted 7 years ago

YES SOCIETY Could exist without Religion that why there are the ' the laws of Separation of the Church' and Government.

Interesting answer, thats like saying people can live without traffic laws, and they can just drive the way they please. Do road rage, wreck property and do not pay for damage.
      The point is spiritual moral law protects humans from many dangers

2. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Moral law does, sure. It has nothing to do with religion. One does not have to be religious to be moral just as one does not have to be moral to be religious.

18. Stephen Meadows profile image60
    Stephen Meadowsposted 7 years ago

Many people feel that without religion as a basis, we wouldn't have ethics. What the fail to realize is that ethics developed during the evolutionary process. There were just certain behaviors that were unacceptable and would get you ostracized, if not completely removed from the gene pool. Religion is not needed for social order. Just look at highly atheist countries. They score much higher on happiness scales than do religious countries. If only we could diminish or eradicate religion, what a happy place this would be!

You can not take peoples backgrounds and customs and throw them all togather in one big mixing pot. Because religion is a part of ones soul not an idea. That is why you have so much controversy on this subject.

2. wishzion profile image59
      wishzionposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If we base our life on a religion as the basis in our daily life, we are creating much boundaries to connect with other people who have different religion, different believes that we have. where in ethics is the basis of good life.

19. wangxizng851 profile image61
    wangxizng851posted 7 years ago

everyone has its own perception about life, society and religion. But actually societies are with religions. we human are social animals and without any guideline we are nothing. like Islam a complete religion have guideline for every aspect for life. We human are in this world for some specific purpose and who guided for the purpose this is religion which guides us for the purpose of life. Islam taught taught everything even in day to day life routine.
    i think religion is one which has assembled us as society and religion is like backbone in the society.

The bible explains it all even our purpose. It is the manual and complete instructions that goes with human life.
      Without it life would be shorten.

20. profile image52
    angatnarnawareposted 7 years ago

First thing is if we stop following religion then it leads to an unemployment. Lot of religious people make fool out of common man and run their house. Second thing is not every person is Steve jobs or Bill gates
    or any other successful man who spend their entirely life in doing what they like. So lot of people don't know what to do after their retirement and they end in doing religious things. Because they think they can please the god. And that's what they put in childrens head and the cycle go on. But the truth is they don't have any other work to do. This is what exactly happened in the past. They had lot of time. Now a days we have many things to entertain us. This is one of the reason in today's time not many people are religious. Now the third thing is we don't know exactly how we end up on this earth. We still searching for the answers. Man has the power to think, to imagine. And our this power created the god and eventually different religion. We have natural tendency to follow someone. Someone more powerful than us, someone we can trust. That's why we follow politicians. Thats why we follow religion. Because we think it has the power to control us. Now coming back to your question.  It is very hard to have a society without religion on the earth. Almost impossible. Even if man will shift to another planet. They will still create religion their.

21. Sikha Sarma profile image58
    Sikha Sarmaposted 7 years ago

I think! No, We can't. If we want to live a long then we must link with religion-> Cast -> Sub Cast-> So......

1. aspiring soul profile image70
      aspiring soulposted 7 years agoin reply to this

These castes and sub castes, how do they benefit a society? Take an example of our country, and lets put Hinduism in a focus, till this date, who has benefited from this categorisation?

2. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image83

@Swati caste system was meant for social divide & control and later became a tool of oppression.Though I wonder if its the people who r responsible for misinterpreting religion and drawing their own conclusions or it was always meant to be that w

3. aspiring soul profile image70
      aspiring soulposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Ashutosh That's what the point is, where religion is meant to connect people/society, castes divide the same.

22. Nathanville profile image92
    Nathanvilleposted 7 years ago

A good question, and based on my experience as a Brit, I think the answer is probably yes, in that in Britain these days religion is a personal thing (where not everyone is religious) and religion is not a major part of British Society.

Religion has been on a steady decline in Britain since the mid-1950s; by exactly how much depends on how you phrase the question.  It’s a topic which is frequently surveyed in Britain by various pollsters; including the ten yearly censuses.

If you ask something like “what religion do you belong to” as the 2011 census did, then in the UK you’ll get an answer something like the census result, which was:-

• Christianity 59.5%
    • No religion 25.7%
    • Not stated 7.2%
    • Islam 4.4%
    • Hinduism 1.3%
    • Judaism 0.4%
    • Other religions 1.5%

However, when the questions are phrased to ask whether you are religious, and if so what faith you follow, then the results are completely different; and more like the 2009 survey results for the UK, as follows:-

• Not religious 50.7%
    • Church of England 19.9%
    • Christian (no denomination) 9.3%
    • Roman Catholic 8.6%
    • Presbyterian 2.2%
    • Methodist 1.3%
    • Protestant 1.2%
    • Christian (other denominations) 0.4%
    • Muslim 2.4%
    • Hindu 0.9%
    • Sikh 0.8%
    • Judaism 0.4%
    • Other religions 0.3%

Also, in Britain, which indicates how unreligious it has become since world war two is these days only 6% of the British population attended church of any kind.

1. Nathanville profile image92
      Nathanvilleposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This video puts things into prospective from a European viewpoint: - Religion Is Dying In the UK   https://youtu.be/Qgji4iVa-_g

2. jackclee lm profile image82

Interesting video. It explains a lot about where Europe is today. The bigger question is this. Are they better off today then 30 years ago? And did religion played a role? Positive or negative.
      My contention is they are worse off in many ways...

3. Nathanville profile image92

Jack Lee, Europeans would consider themselves better off e.g. good living standards, more leisure time, better working conditions, universal health and education, good social safety net etc. as touched on in this video: https://youtu.be/bFvon0Fr1L4

4. jackclee lm profile image82

Arthur, are they better off with lower birth rates, higher immigration, breakdown of family and terrorists acts... the social support is nice but comes with a price. Their productivity is low and and very little innovation.

5. Nathanville profile image92

That’s a common misconception by American’s, spread by propaganda in American news media e.g. Fox News.  Only 94 people have been killed by termism in UK in the last 17 years; far less than the 4,211 killed in USA so far this year by gun violence.

6. jackclee lm profile image82

Maybe so in the UK, but what about France, Germany, Belgium and Sweden...
      You are losing your Christian roots and slowly replaced with Islam population immigrants and refugees. You have areas in Paris where the police are afraid to enter???

7. Nathanville profile image92

I’m sorry Jack Lee but that is propaganda lies spread mainly by Fox news and Daily Mail; Muslim community only 5% in UK, tiny compared to confirmed atheists/agnostics (25.7%), and most Muslims are just ordinary people:  https://youtu.be/sz1k37TPA8U

8. jackclee lm profile image82

Well I guess it is one of those stories that is either fact or fiction...
      https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5128 … o-go-zones
      Just because Fox reported it, does not make it false or fake. Don't you agree?

9. Nathanville profile image92

No, but if you lived in the UK you'd know what it really is like far better than people living 4,000 miles away in the USA who think they know better because they see it on the ‘News’. 

As you may be aware ‘Fake News’ is a big problem these days.

10. jackclee lm profile image82

So what about other parts of Europe? Are you defending those countries? Not having lived there? You may be expert on the UK but I don't see how that translate into general knowledge of all of Europe...There is a problem with refugees and not Fox

11. Nathanville profile image92

Fact that Europe is no larger than USA and we go on our summer holidays to other parts of it for two weeks each year; and frequently nip over for shopping and sightseeing, then yes I do know it’s nothing like portrayed in a lot of the media.

23. aspiring soul profile image70
    aspiring soulposted 7 years ago

Difficult to imagine how a society would be like without religion. Religion and society are like two sides of the coin, both together but still separated. One cant survive without another. Similarly, one cant dominate the other. Society as well as religion, both are the creations of humans but somehow, probably we have failed to maintain a balance between both of them. Religion can make a perfect channel for society, provided we don't let it to dominate the latter.
    While religion is meant to make the functions of society easier, we let it (yes, its our contribution) to restrict even the right ways, to make the simple things tough, to make mind shaking questions emerge in the everyday life of people.
    Most of us follow a religion, the question is: how much do we know the real part of it? We all are made to believe what is said, many of us even believe so, but how many of us try to know the reality? The "why" and "how" behind it.
    A society can not be in a proper function and peaceful if there is no religion BUT the religion(whichever) should be there to ease, and not be there in the form of a disturbing element.

24. Debangee Mandal profile image67
    Debangee Mandalposted 7 years ago

Not that  society cannot exist without religion , but I personally feel that every person individually needs a God above his/her head to to look up to. It is like having parents to guide us. Even after having stringent laws in our society, we still have wrong doings going on like theft, robbery, homicide, suicide and severe enmity. If in this case if something can stop all this it is the guilt feeling from inside. And this feeling comes when the people realize that if  they sin , they will be punished by God ( whoever they believe) .
                                    This entire belief of society bring in self- restraint and almost acts as a second jurisdiction.
                                    But again there is one problem.. every country should have only one religion being followed by all the citizens. This creates a better bonding and a strong society.

Wonderful comment Debangee !

2. Debangee Mandal profile image67
      Debangee Mandalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kiss and Tales.

25. Sofia Sultan profile image58
    Sofia Sultanposted 7 years ago

As far as I think a society cannot exist without a religion. Ok just tell me what is a society? We can say that it is a group of people formed on some particular basis such as distinctive language and literature, art and architecture, names and nomenclature etc. Religious beliefs are also included. A society is designed to follow same rules under some conditions. So if there is no religion...then what will the society practice collectively? Some will follow different religion while some will follow different beliefs whereas society means group of people following the same. So I think society cannot be formed without a religion.

26. jackclee lm profile image82
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

The answer has been tried. Communism banned all religion. Yes, you can have a society without religion but look at the results.

1. jackclee lm profile image82

The ultimate need for religion is to counter the evolution theory and the "survival of the fittest" mentality. If evolution is what got us here, why not kill all the disabled and the mentally challenged... what other justification would you have?

I agree Jack Lee. Good comment. What people fail to realize is that religion has true caused problems in the wrong hands , but religion has also been a reason to restrain bad conduct or even crime.
      Religion could have saved you from a serial killer

3. jackclee lm profile image82

Arthur, I can't believe you use numbers in your argument. If the number of terrorist living among you is small, then it is fine? What is an acceptible number? I would have thought any sane individual would answer zero.
      So only 94 people killed???

4. Nathanville profile image92

Jack Lee, 94 in 17 years killed in the UK is insignificant compared to the thousands slain by gun violence in the USA.  I agree zero killed by gun violence in America would be a great improvement.

27. lulumihir profile image60
    lulumihirposted 7 years ago

yes it can be
    because religion creates division

28. CYong74 profile image96
    CYong74posted 7 years ago

No. Because religion doesn't necessarily means the worship of a supernatural being. It's more of an organized, enforced set of behavior and expectations.

In places like NK, the government becomes the "religion." National laws become dogma. Over time, people start to expect and fear extraordinary things out of human leaders.

Perhaps it's just human nature to always need, and revert to such behavior.

29. A-Roy profile image60
    A-Royposted 7 years ago

Without religion, yes. Religion is a mere belief which brings a section a society together. However, that is not the only thing that exists to bring people together in a society. There are various other common grounds on which people can sustain a society, and that doesn't necessarily have to be religion. It can be anything, from a television series the people are watching, to the fact that their children are growing up and going to schools, to cricket. Society just needs a space where people can talk about the things they have in common to build a connection, and bond.

Very interesting answer, I would have to say just as one's family is important to bond with and have things in common is vital in the human family. There is a spiritual family that existed before our own births that is even more vital and important.

30. profile image53
    bdnasimaakter410posted 7 years ago

Your current you can find income pertaining to filling out this sort of usually takes online and also jobboy. com
    give a wonderful word of mouth software in tims which you can is certain to get one particular greenback every single activites
    your lowest flahbacks restriction in jobboy is now collection in jobboy one particular greenback. Jobboy is surely an on-line work opportunities internet site wherever any individual could earn income only finish smaller activity.
    Get any individual notion as well as expertise with regards to jobboy. com?
    Can be Jobboy a new fraud as well as a real reputable internet site for you to gain a number of extra cash?

https://youtu.be/12-5mUW0PpY

31. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years ago

I believe it can, but I also think it has never been tried. The closest the world may have come is in Scandinavian countries where organized religion is just ceremonial, but the majority do not believe in it. Studies have found them to be the happiest countries on Earth based on various measure of happiness.

32. profile image0
    lindaspeaksposted 7 years ago

No! Because Jesus is in controlled of everything that we do in our everyday life. He is our creator.

33. offshoreit profile image60
    offshoreitposted 7 years ago

I don't know what others people think. I just know religion is a culture which helps us to make our society bonding more strong.

34. Maryam Rehman profile image81
    Maryam Rehmanposted 7 years ago

A society can not exist without a religion. Religion gives a discipline to the society and it is a great way of making peace. every religion guides people to do good deeds and hence brings happiness and peace to the society.

1. Stephen Meadows profile image60
      Stephen Meadowsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Peace? Really? How exactly is that? How many millions of people have been exterminated because of their religious beliefs? Most of the hate in this world is religiously motivated.

35. Ceegen profile image67
    Ceegenposted 7 years ago

No, society can not exist without religion.

A religion is nothing more than a philosophy on life; a set of beliefs used to help us make decisions, a world-view.

Morality, survival, social interactions, dietary restrictions, artistic expression, acceptable standards of clothing, origins of humanity and the universe, law codes... These things do not require a belief in a God or gods, but are still based on beliefs which help us decide what we allow or reward, what we prohibit and punish. Some times these beliefs are based on physical evidence, and other times they are based on mental abstractions, or even a combination of the two being reasoned together.

Going to an extreme example, people must believe that murder is wrong to outlaw it, and yet murder can somehow be justified if the ends justify the means. If it aids my survival to shoot you and take your stuff to feed my wife and son, would it be justified? In the middle of winter? Because someone stole all my food?

Or would you allow me to get away with murder, if the person I killed was rich, powerful and threatening my life? Like say, a drug dealer? Who I saw murder someone else who owed him money, and didn't want any witnesses?

These decisions are made with the help of our beliefs, our "religion" if you will. Society can not function without it, or we just descend into chaos.

Society requires religion.

36. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Can society exist without belief in a god or gods? Yes, communist regimes did so.
    Does this mean you get a peaceful society? No. The hundred million killed by atheist communist governments from China to Soviet Russia to Cambodia prove that.
    Does it mean you get a totally reasonable society? No, since the atheist state is invested with the same religious devotion gods once had. Even social justice warriors in the West raise up political doctrine to the point of faith, to be obeyed and defended with dogmatic dedication.

37. profile image55
    Tuba waheedposted 7 years ago

Noooo because it is religion which teaches u ur living standards,patience,peace,sympathies,kindness and much more

38. profile image53
    Apoorva hereposted 7 years ago

Yes a society can exsist without religion. All a person should learn is to set priorities for humanity and morality. The relegions were the philosophy for an ideal life. But, if persons have good deeds they dont need a religion.

39. Francina cind profile image59
    Francina cindposted 7 years ago

if it happens yes people will have no faith in anything.  We just set our mind yes there is a religion but it doesn't mean only we respect the religion we Al hav to respect the  everything thing exists in this world..

1. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image83

We should ideally respect and be compassionate but how often does that happen...
      To be honest Religion didn't give us 'Morality' it did give us 'Moral Policing' though!!

40. AmitAlgotar profile image40
    AmitAlgotarposted 7 years ago

Yes If can if you have a time machine to change the same from the begin when humans believe in colonies and not religions...as of today it seems impossible to create a society without religion although i am in favor of the same and i believe and respect all the religions but we are too late for the same. There are so many religions and sub religions and belief related to them in our world today that its not at all possible to diminish all of it and make a society without any religious difference. And if suppose we assume that we are able to do the same than also there will be differences between human being based on their skin color, look, clothing, wealth or even hairstyle because human nature is such that we always compares ourselves with others and either feel superior or inferior to others. So the only thing possible now is to shift a huge lot of future generation to Moon from their early childhood and make them a society without any knowledge of religious or any other differences

41. Xcogitant profile image59
    Xcogitantposted 7 years ago

It depends what you perceive as a religion.
    Innately people form flocks. Whatever ideology is most successful in captivating/brainwashing peoples minds and/or imaginations will prevail. It's a game of numbers, therefore, consensus.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)