New Writing Adventure

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

While chatting with a fellow hubber, Steven, we were talking about how we liked to make people cry with cute sayings in cards and how my dad would ask me to help him out to write something sweet in a card for a wedding or something like that.

So I started to look and came across an article about greatting cards and sending in verses to see if they will buy them. I was shocked at how much they pay for a verse. $50-150 even $500 for a verse. nice!

So I was thinking and even my mom said it was a good idea for now while I am looking for a job, of sending in versus to greeting card places.

Was wondering what others think about doing this? I want to look up greeting card companies but not sure which ones to check out to see if they accept versus from a nobody like me. smile What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? what greeting card companies should I check out?

2. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Years ago it was fun - but mostly I was paid in cards smile I wish you well in whatever you do Crazed , Holly

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks h.a. wouldn't be something I would do the entire time lol or maybe I would never know lol

1. h.a.borcich profile image61
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you can come up with your own cards and market? smile
        You never know smile

1. profile image0

hmmmm yea only problem is...I can't draw lol so then i can't do my own cards haha

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can you take photographs? Or you could use stock photography...

1. profile image0

hehe nope not even a good photographer sad and stock photography? is that like pics from online?

3. cmany profile image61
    cmanyposted 14 years ago

Ya know, if it is something that you like to do, and you can get paid for it - I say go for it...

Doing this shouldnt hurt you in any way, right...so why not...I say go for it...and who knows...you may sell some...

Good luck

Christine

1. profile image0

thanks cmany...I am excited about this new adventure...just to see if i have it in me for writing sweet greeting cards. I can't write witty but I can do sweet lol

4. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

It is something I have always enjoyed doing.  As a kid, I wanted to design greeting cards, and made a whole bunch of samples, but that is all the farther it ever went.

I would want to know how your ownership will be protected.  The amount they pay is high, but considering how much cards sell for, it does not seem unreasonable.  How do you ensure that it is not stolen, or slightly rewritten, and then sold, without you receiving any payment?  I hate being sceptical, but that is the one question I would want fully answered before I submitted anything. 

Really, it sound exciting.

1. profile image0

Yes that is a reasnable question to think about Ivorwen. But I seriously doubt that big names like Hallmark would do something like that..or I HOPE they wouldn't...I think if you have copies of what you wrote then you'll be okay.

1. ncmonroe1981 profile image60
        ncmonroe1981posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Crazdwriter, you said, "I seriously doubt that big names like Hallmark would do something like that..or I HOPE they wouldn't...I think if you have copies of what you wrote then you'll be okay."

I would hope that companies wouldn't do things like that as well, but I wouldn't trust anyone with my personal work, especially since it's apparently quite valuable. If you do send something to anyone, no matter who it is, protect yourself and protect your work. A simple copy of your work would not stand up in a court of law, should it come to that. Call the companies (or go to their websites) beforehand to find out about their submission protocols. Send things via certified mail so that you have proof of submission and acceptance. Send yourself copies of your original works via certified mail and don't open them, so you have a clear record (by postmark) of the prior existence of your creations.

Other than that, go for it! Just don't go in blind.

NinaCarmen

1. profile image0

thanks Nina! I totally forgot how a friend told me about doing that, sending myself a copy in the mail so then I'll be protected. it's a good idea and will definitely do that.

And hey welcome to hubpages! smile

1. ncmonroe1981 profile image60
            ncmonroe1981posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad you'll go ahead and send your work to yourself. I'd hate to see something happen to anyone's creative property.

Good luck with it! You'll have to  let us know how it goes; I want to hear when Hallmark picks up one of your verses!

NinaCarmen

1. profile image0

if Hallmark picked up one of my verses I would faint...then get back to you guys lol

5. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

That's something I considered long ago but I just don't write poetry of any sort, not that it has to be. Some have beautiful thoughts in them.
    (By the way "versus" means against; "verses" is the plural of verse).

1. profile image0

lmao oops thanks for correcting me there hehe.
      And they don't care about poetry they just wanted something sweet or witty written smile

6. Katelyn Weel profile image91
    Katelyn Weelposted 14 years ago

What an interesting idea, I think it's a great way to make a few bucks if it works out. But like Ivorwen said, make sure you know about your ownership rights first. I'm sure a quick google search would yield some suggestions as to which greeting card companies you could check out. Web sites for different companies usually have a "careers" button or something like it near the bottom of the page, and if all else fails "contact us" is always good!

Good luck with it and please keep us posted, I'm very interested to hear how this goes for you!

1. profile image0

thanks Katelyn...I am thinking of maybe Hallmark will be on the top of my list to send lol since they are the most well known. And yea I'll keep you guys posted

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Sounds like a pretty good idea Crazd. smile

I agree with other Hubbers. If protected and they honestly pay good money. I don't see why not. smile

1. profile image0

thakns cags...I am going to try to think of nice things in  my head soon.

8. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Cards are sold so many places, for all occasions and no occasions, they must need fresh writers often. I wish you lots of success!

1. profile image0

thanks TMinut. I also posted this in case others might want to try it out for themselves. I like giving other ppl ideas too and maybe someone else might want to try tihs out too. smile

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I've thought about doing that occasionally. Writer's Digest has information on what greeting card companies are looking for freelancers and what their terms are. I assume it would also say something on their websites.

1. profile image0

thought about it? how come you didn't do it also UW? and yeaI did see a few with what they want on their websites smile I am going to do my HW first before sending in verses though.

10. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

well its like the  old saying goes, what else do you have to lose.  you can't win, unless you try you know.

1. profile image0

You gonna try it out too Steven?

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

sure, why not.  i just need to figure out how to get started first though.

1. profile image0

Look at the website I found and start there. pick some places, ask about the submission info and start writing out verses so you can see where you want them to go

1. profile image0

oh okay.  thanks.  i appreciate the advice.

1. profile image0

Good luck to you Steven and let me know how it goes! Keep me posted on how it goes and if you sell any too smile

1. profile image0

i will.  you too. i hope your very successful.

1. profile image0

Hope that we are BOTH successful big_smile

1. profile image0

lol.  as do i.  however, i think of couple of talented writers like ourselves can pull it off though.

11. profile image0

http://www.helium.com/items/509907-how- … nce-writer

Website with greeting card companies that accept freelance writers! So ppl if you are intersted in it like myself and Steven, bookmark this website smile

12. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Go For It...and When You Become Tremendously Wealthy from Doing This...Don't Forget All Your Friends Here At Hub World big_smile !

1. profile image0

Now how can I forget about my buddies here at hubpages? big_smile

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...that's what I'm saying....Guess you could always send us a Hallmark!

1. profile image0

lol I could do that I think lmao but will definitely let you guys know if I sell any of my verses...wait! Does that mean I have to think now? dang it! lol

13. profile image0

aaa Hallmark doesn't take freelance writings sad Oh well NEXT! lol

14. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Hey,

I have heard it is pretty difficult, to get in to greeting card writing.  the money sounds good though, so give it a shot!

1. profile image0

yea I've heard that too but hey it's worth a shot right? thanks thisisoli smile

15. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

From what I've heard (in the past, not recently), it can be tricky.  People do learn how to send submissions in, and they may buy some; but sometimes companies will do a whole thing where they aren't taking more submissions.  To the best of my understanding, they expect submissions in huge quanities (or at least that's how it was at one time).  They don't want six or ten submissions, I believe.   There are different types of greeting card companies, though, so it's different with some of the more famous ones than smaller ones.  Where you'd find out about what's out there is in writers' markets, under, of course, greeting-cards.  If I recall correctly, a lot of the larger companies hire their own writers, who churn out verses.  It was awhile ago I looked into it.

Another thing anyone (who's inclined to be able to market this this type of thing) would be to have your own made.  You could always link up with someone who can produce artwork to go with the verses.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)