What Hip Hop / Rap track really opened up your ears to hip hop?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Genycis profile image61
    Genycisposted 14 years ago

What's goin' on.  Wanted to get a feel for the types of tracks that really opened you to the world of Hip Hop?  I know it varies with different people.  What artist and track or album did it for you?  For me, there were several, but I think one of the tracks that did it was "I Gave You Power" by Nas, where he personified being a gun and giving you lyrically, the power of the gun bringing down youth back then.  Of course, I'd have to also say that Mobb Deep, and Wu-Tang (Raekwon's purple tape "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" to be more specific) added to it.  Now though, I'm not so sure what to think, as Soulja Boy type tracks or Stanky Legg type tracks just do not do it for me.

What artist and track or album brought you into enjoying rap and hip hop?  Feel free to share...

1. DeeJay Prime profile image60
      DeeJay Primeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did a hub on Rae..the compairison of both pt1 and 2. you should check it.

2. Friendlyword profile image61
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I started listening to rap after I heard an interview where Rap Artist explained why they are forced to to be outragious or go hungry. What impressed me most are two Rap songs that still got their message heard even with the offensive language. The first is ROLL THE DICE by Mickey Avalon and THE WAY I AM by Eminem and of course WHY by Jadakiss.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

I am old school but back in the 80's I worked security in an under 21 club.  The first night there I heard The King of Rock by Run DMC and it blew me away.  Having come from more of a heavy metal past that song opened a whole new genre to me.

1. Genycis profile image61
      Genycisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh, nice choice.. see, you know it really impacts you when you're mor into a different genre, and a song or track opens you right up to a new genre.  Nice to hear that!

3. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 14 years ago

Mama said knock you out

by LL Cool J

&

The Humpty Dance

by Digital underground

4. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

In the words of Greg Allman "Rap is short for crap!"

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you think of Rage Against The Machine?

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

More crap!

You sir are a closed minded numskull. Texas is short for @ss.

1. profile image0
            sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being a thug is no way to live your life son.

2. profile image0

Listen Gangsta, because I choose to listen to music that doesn't have anything political or misogynistic to say doesn't make me close minded, it actually just makes me normal! However, if the best you can do is put me down  for being a "numskull" you could at least spell it right, playa!

Numbskull, you're welcome

2. Genycis profile image61
          Genycisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol!  Yeah, that's what I generally think of some other genres of music too so I feel ya

1. profile image0

Lots of Music can be considered crap.

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smilesmilesmile

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

5. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

candy shop big_smile

6. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

Its gotta be De La Soul and A Tribe called quest

Groups like hiero really got me into hiphop, they were just bringing something more than gangster stuff, something with more flow.

Its the progression of jazz

1. Friendlyword profile image61
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Godfather of Rap is Issac Hayes The first Rap Song was - I STAND ACCUSED!

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

A tribe called quest, seconded!  - no specific track

also Guru from GangStarr -  particularly ABove the clouds w/ inspectah Deck

Above the Clouds is one of the sickist tracks ever. I could listen to that all day on repeat and not get sick of it.

8. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I don't typically like rap and I hate the vile crap and the lifestyle it promotes. Everybody should want to grow up to be a punk thugger idiot.

That said some artfull placement in other music is kinda cool. Rapture/Blondie Everybody dance now etc.

1. theageofcake profile image61
      theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You haven't heard the right kind of rap - Listen to De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising or Arrested Development's 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of... and you'll see that some sub-genres of rap/hip hop actually promote a very positive and often inspiring lifestyle. 

The first rap song that really overtook me with a primal emotional impact was probably OutKast's "Bombs Over Baghdad."  But it wasn't until hearing Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five's "The Message" that I saw the infinite potential the genre has in terms of lyrical content.   It was so brutal, honest, and vividly conveyed - I've yet to find a rap song that exceeds its utter brilliance.

2. jostapha profile image61
      jostaphaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A few years ago I didn't listen to rap or Hip Hop for very similar reasons.  Then my friend introduced me to (or bombarded me with) a range of underground Hip Hop artists, record labels (Definitive Jux and Ninja Tunes amongst others) and collectives.  This was unlike any Hip Hop I'd heard before.  There was no real macho gangster mentality or aggression, just the odd tongue in cheek reference.  This music was about exploring the voice and experimenting with unusual rhythms and instrumentation - about taking Hip Hop and urban music to new, unchartered territory.  I was hooked.

As for the first song that got me hooked, its hard to say.  It was probably No Regrets by Aesop Rock, a song about the life of an artist!  Other favourites include Lyrics Born, Sage Francis, Buck 65, Blockhead (instrumental Hip Hop), El-P, Everlast (from House of Pain), the Roots, Mike Ladd, Josh Martinez and K-os.

9. DeeJay Prime profile image60
    DeeJay Primeposted 14 years ago

Easy-E, Boyz in the hood remix..I knew right then Billy Joel was out and Hip hop was the music for my soul.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)