Luke 19:27 Justification???

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. LINEOFPROGRESSION profile image59
    LINEOFPROGRESSIONposted 14 years ago

Luke 19:27 Jesus said, "But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence."

Is it OK for Christians to kill non-believers?
        Or is it only a justified act in his presence?

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jesus was speaking of a third person. The nobleman after feeling cheated would say bring these enemies of mine .....and slay them in my presence.

Jesus was not making such a command.

LINEOFPROGRESSIONposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How convenient that man can pick and choose which "inspired words from God" are stated in a literal or metaphorical "third person" fashion. Yet i suppose that all of the scriptures that speak of Jesus as loving and caring, well, those are just obviously in literal context. But scriptures about Jesus being violent, or God's desire for bloodshed sacrifice, or the earth being a flat circle, well those are purely metaphorical. How very very convenient.

I wasn't picking and choosing. The verse that you quoted is the last verse of a story that Jesus was telling.  The story began (v. 12)  " a certain Noble man went into a far country.........  And he gave....  And then one gave back 10.... and then he said bring them before me and kill them.
             Jesus was telling a story about a third person.
             It is too easy to jump to wrong conclusions when we pay attention to only one verse.

Yes, I am quite familiar with the passage, and yes I realize that Jesus was telling a story here, but you must note that Jesus would always speak in parables in regards to himself and God. When Jesus spoke of the very known story of the "good Samaritan", was he not implying a teaching from the story? Yes, he was, just as he does in this story.

It is true that the "story" (Luke19) could have been speaking of when the Lord God judges upon judgment day the thieves will be punished.  I was saying earlier that Jesus did not say for the disciples, or you, or me to kill anyone.

Hay friendly  how is it going. in answer to your question ; if you were talking to me?  I'd have to say   neither

1. Friendlyword profile image61
                Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jerami. No, I was address the guy that is trying to justify Murder with the word of God.  Merry Christmas to you.

2. tantrum profile image61
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jesus was violent. You find other examples all through the NT.
          I recall Jesus and the pharisees in the temple, for example.

I don't remember Jesus ever hurting anyone?  He was trying to hurt a few feelings of the religious folks that were acting like 3 year olds that thought that they were invisible in their hypocritical behavior.
               And he threw a few tables around one day.  I think that he only threw that temper tantrum to make sure that the high priest became mad enough to hurry up a little more than they were planning to???  I think they killed him the next day.

1. tantrum profile image61
              tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Violent doesn't mean hurting someone physically. Jesus was violent in a psychological way.
              A true Revolutionary.

If I have read any thing like that I don't remember that either.  I do remember him telling some of the children
                (as mentioned above)  that they were going to be punished if they didn't quidit.

2. LINEOFPROGRESSION profile image59

I agree with you Tantrum. Jesus was very mentally abusive at times, but he's not near as violent as his father, the ruthless and bloodthirsty God of Abraham, known as Yahweh. Maybe that's why Jesus is seen as such a pure and loving character. In comparison to his father, just about anyone could be labeled as a saint.

1. earnestshub profile image81
                  earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes his father was a psychopathic murderer according to the O.T. smile

2. caranoelle profile image78
      caranoelleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are alot of passages from the bible, that if you read them nowadays, you just kind of shake your head.  Times are different now, and there are laws that govern what a person can or cannot do.  Leviticus 19:19 says that you should not wear clothing of mixed types, like mixing linen and wool. Leviticus 19:27 says "Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard." Does this mean that the Beatles, and anyone else with a bowl haircut (Jack from Jack in the Box most recently) will be going to Hell?  Or 1 Timothy 2:9 where it says that He will pray for women with "broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array." 

In many ways the Bible is out dated.  I do not believe that any one follows it to the T, so to speak.  However, this does not give you a license to kill.

3. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree Jaremi.

It is real easy to confuse between parable and first person situations. Thats why so many think they see contradictions and errors in it's corpus, but hey it is an abtuse and monotonous read, but .

In modern day languages we should not call them parables any more. They were actually hypothetical questions. Then they become a little easier to understand.  Those questions were eventually fulfilled right before THEIR eyes.

4. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who without sin casts the first stone!

2. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Almost everyone that has ever read THE BIBLE holds onto misconceptions as to what scripture actually says. Yes there are some pretty rough statements that is written that the Lord was to have said.
       One or two misinterpretations of scripture is like loosing a weight on a sport cars tire. It gets outa balance and ya can not drive so fast. Pretty soon the tire itself gets out of round and then it starts jumping all over the place.

First off, who has the right to claim which scriptures are literal or metaphorical? Scriptures that sound warm and fuzzy are labeled "inspired words from our loving God" and the oppositional, grotesque, disturbing scriptures, "well whoever wrote those just took gods thoughts out of context, don't take this scripture literal" even though 2 Timothy 3:16 states "All scripture is inspired by God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness." So according to this scripture Luke 19:27 should be used for "disciplining in righteousness", after all, this scripture would fall under the category of "All scripture is inspired by God" It doesn't read "Some, or most scripture is inspired by God". Who knows, maybe 2 Timothy 3:16 is one of the metaphorical scriptures...................... Again, how very convenient.

I take that scripture that Jesus is said to have said as literal. Jesus literally told many stories. He told one story about someone picking at a splinter out of someone else's eye while that person had a plank in their eye. Would you then assume that people were walking around with pieces of lumber literally poked in their eyes.
            I continue to express my belief that we should read the prophetic scriptures with understanding before we attempt to understand those   stories that is taught by describing what someone else might do. we need a firm foundation before we pile a bunch of crap on top of it that does not fit. 
            We build a house on a firm foundation and then add one piece of lumber at a time and before ya know it; it is time to move the furniture in. If we have to build the house around the furniture the walls are going to be crooked.

As far as all scripture being inspired by God. What scripture was he talking about at the time.

Well Luke was written in 56-58 A.D, which was before 2 Timothy, which was written in 65 A.D. So yes, Luke 19:27 falls under that category of "All scripture is inspired by God" because Luke was written years before 2 Timothy. 2 Timothy 3:16 doesnt read "All scripture before such and such date is inspired by God" it clearly states " ALL scripture is inspired by God". All, not Some, or the pretty ones. ALL SCRIPTURE.

I have never thought that while the disciples were speaking and writting their letters that They ever considered their own teachings as  "THE  SCRIPTURES"    It was not until 325 that these letters were called  scripture. At least that is my understanding.

2. Friendlyword profile image61
        Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please tell me you are bored, or your trying to promote your hubs!!!

3. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

Regardless of belief, the Bible....the King James, New International, or Precious Moments....whatever the case, book that is being referred to, is a collection of man-made ideas.

Whether written in Greek, Latin, Armenian, English, or German, it is a collection of human language, selected out of a much larger pool of overall written thought dubbed "Christian."

Who determines what "books" become "epistles" and which ones are made to disappear?  Was the Council of Nicea God in action?
    Have Protestant revisions to the Roman Catholic canon been the offshoot of divine intervention?

Or was it based off the wills and desires of men?

Who determines what has been written down through the ages? The commoner?.....hardly.

From the ancient Coptic orders to the Gregorian, Greek-Orthodox, Roman Orthodox, and various diverse Protestant, New Age, and other "Christian" sects there are various human interpretations of selective written and unwritten ideas that can largely tend to conflict with one another.....not support.

Now, regarding this particular verse.......what does this "parable" have to do with the overall story?

What does this line of thought....expressed in this specific story, really represent?

From this can be derived the meaning of the 27th verse.

Let's see where this goes, shall we?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)