Define the "foreknowledge view" of predestination.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. RGraf profile image88
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

There are several views of predestination.  How would you define "foreknowledge view" and do you agree with it.?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends, did you end up where you thought you would?

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Well, like you said, there are several views on this, all of which are fun to think about. Here's a couple:

1. One form of "foreknowledge" is the absolute existence or knowledge of what's to come.  Everything, including our actions, is already set in stone as to what is going to happen, what we are going to do etc.  In this scenario, there is no free will and life is simply us traveling through time checking off the items that God/Fate had planned for us.  We have nothing to do with the outcome because we were already going to happen before we ever made a choice.

2.  Number 1 has a really fun non-religious counterpart/alternate-version wherein the physics of the Big Bang set in motion a physical and chemical and biological etc. chain of events that can be micro-followed down to the relationships and actions of everything being inevitable in the vast net of ever expanding cause and effect.  I.E. the star exploded sending the dust out that formed the earth upon which a lightning bolt charged an amino acid which evolved ultimately into people two of whom met and became your parents who, having gastro-intestinal and biological requirements for food, took you to Taco Bell when you were six where you fell in love with bean burritos which is why you were at the burrito stand on the beach at the time you met your future wife etc....... Take out any step in that and something different happened, but it didn't, again, etc.... thus proving that "fate" is set by physical reactions dating back to the big bang.

3. Passive "foreknowledge" is the state where God knows what we are going to do, but He is not going to influence us.  So, we have free will and it is up to us to decide how we behave etc.  The choice is ours, our actions are not pre-determined.  Just because God knows what we are going to do in advance does not mean we didn't have free will.  (This is a very fun distinction from item number one, although some people struggle to see the difference.) Free well makes us accountable for our actions, unlike the two above where we can technically blame God/Fate or physics/chemistry. (This is the meat of the arguments and fun to be found in Milton's Paradise Lost)

4. There is no God or Fate, and there is no future, there is only the moment of "now."  Events in the future cannot be predetermined because they do not exist.  They will only exist when and if they happen. (There is a fun "extended" version of this wherein the past does not exist either, but I digress.)

5.  There is no such thing as foreknowledge at all because all time is happening simultaneously. We are simple creatures and experience time linearly, but a creature with the capacity to experience time as an enduring thing rather than a perduring one (like God) would not see "foreknowledge" as an advance knowledge of something to come but more a view of things on the complete scale... it's rather like the difference between listening to a song being sung versus seeing it all written out on a piece of sheet music (that's a clunky analogy, but it suggests the point). I think Kurt Vonnegut wrote a book about an alien species that saw time like that, but I haven't read it so can't point you in the direction.

(Told you I was bored)

I will happily argue for or against any of these if anyone is that bored back.  smile

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

When you were born your parents developed a plan for your life. They imagined your future. You are going to learn how to ride a bike/or not.  They determined that you are going to pre school . high school diploma, and then you are going to Collage.
    During this time they have implanted their desires for you to eventually get married and give them Grandchildren.

Your parents did not predestine you to kiss little Jimmy in the broom closet, or break the neighbors window when you threw that rock at your brother, or get pregnant on prom nite.

Certain aspects of destiny can and some can not be changed.
    Einstein may have been predestined to develop the theory of relativity. But if his free will choices prevented that from happening, someone else would have come up with it.
         I think that some Event's are destined to happen;
    And sometimes our choices  set in motion a predetermined outcome.
         If Moses was in fact put in a basket and floated down the Nile river I would say that a few things were predestined to happen in his life.  Was he predestined to get drunk on his wedding day and marry the wrong woman?  I don't think so.

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I know that I was born into death. Seems undeniable that I was destine for life in death.  From the moment I was conceived death loomed over me ready to take me at some point. 

It is strange to live in death believing that I am alive even if for only a moment. 

So when does life begin? Certainly death began before I was even conceived. I was not given a choice in the matters concerning my death. 

A person becomes distraught because they have gotten cancer but death was inevitable from the beginning but you become angry with cancer?

Anyways just a thought.

I wonder how it all works out.  Am I living death, was I born into the land of the dead?

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a good way of looking at it.  Or you are living in a state of birth. Birth of new cells balancing to the death of other cells. This is necessary in order to experience LIFE.
      This is necessary within the individual person as it is in the grand scope of things. The earth has to maintain the same kind of balance.  But I could be wrong.

1. profile image0

Maybe...just wonder what the land of the living is like. wink smile

I've wondered the same thing.  I think that if we were living there right now, we might miss the sensation of life in the middle. I just had a light bulb moment. 
               That is what life is. The physical world is life in the middle. Between   LIFE  and   Death. We can not exit the middle ground without entering one side or the other. I don't think that I expressed that as well as I was thinking it.

1. profile image0

Then I wonder if because we are predestined to live in death, if we are also predestined to live in life without death? 

*ponderous*

5. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

You can't agree because it's about the agony and the ecstasy.

6. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Is everybody philosophical today !

1. profile image0

lol You too huh. smile

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
        no, not today !
        not on a Saturday ! lol

1. profile image0

lol today is saturday?  Holy Moly! lol

1. tantrum profile image59
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think so ! lol
            Maybe I'm wrong ?
            big_smile

7. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I have sometimes thought that living on the LIFE side might be kinda boring.  We come over here to the middle linda like goin on a vacation. We make it either heaven or hell while we are here. We don't want to forget how to get back home. Or Go the wrong direction or something.

1. profile image0

Well at least either way, death looming isn't an option. lol

Yea the rollercoaster has to come to an end and we get off so that others who want to ride can sit in our seats.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)