Stolen content

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

HubPages recently alerted me to a blog which had stolen my Hub about stiff necks

(http://)healthiswealth.healthfreakmommy.com

I managed to find an email address for the blog, emailed her a notice and got a genuine-sounding apology straight back, with an assurance she would cut down the amount quoted and include a link to my original Hub.

I've been trying to check today, but I can't even get on the site - I keep getting booted off. Is it possible she could have blocked me somehow, or is it just coincidence?

BTW she has a lot of articles quoted on there, which I'm sure aren't hers.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

she blocked you. i can read it just fine.

2. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I can read it fine too! I'll check the article, see if I can reply & note its copied.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

My McAfee gave me a warning when I opened that site...

They have AdSense, I would report them to Google.

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

hey she put a link to your hub in her blog.

5. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I got to it easily also Marisa. I did notice at the beginning of the info she got from you that a link was listed to your hub. Was that there before?

6. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

It worked fine for me, there is attribution now BUT there's so much quoted! She found your information very helpful and worth sharing but this way, no one needs to go to your hub so no views or clicks for you. Not fair. What SHOULD she do? I think she could mention a thing or two and then someone will just have to go to your hub for the info.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah. if she "cut down" on the amount quoted, i would hate to see what it looked like before. yikes

7. Alessia Amnesia profile image59
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

She must have blocked your IP address because I had no problem viewing and navigating the site.

Does HubPages copyright our hubs? If so, isn't there some kind of legal action you can take against her?

8. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I think we should all go on her site and comment!  While she does leave the hubpage link at the beginning of her article, it appears she doesn't write a lot of anything that is her own.

9. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

She did end up putting a link to your hub, however it is not just simply an excerpt she quoted , but half your article. If she did not put a link to your article the first time around with the right intent than it is plainly plaigarism. Since half your article is there rather than an excerpt to entice them to check your actual hub, there would be no need for them to click the link. I could understand an excerpt or quote but this is more than that. I'd report this one . Even though the site looks decently maintained does not mean she didn't plagairise from others too. Take action if you feel the link was more than just quoting an excerpt and leaves the reader not needing to visit your article. Its up to you if you feel the apolgy and uplink was sincere or just to cover her bases from any action against her. The fact you are now blocked seems more than just coincidence to me. Stealing a whole half of an article is just rude! It's cool that Hubpages is the one who notified you, that means their looking out for publishers and revenues closely.

10. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

Marisa, I left her a comment myself saying that "an excerpt with link should only be used to enhance one of her OWN articles and not be used as the article itself" hope you don't mind but that was just plain stealing so I had to.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Comment is not visible on the site. Presumably it has been blocked as well.

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just click on 'No Comment' beside the Subject Link.
        Comments have to be moderated, so they'll inevitably be deleted -- nevertheless, they will be read by the plagiarist blogger in question.

11. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i'm afraid to go in there, since UW's security software flagged that site neutral

12. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Hi Marisa,
    I had no problem getting to the site either.

So it looks like your IP has been blocked.

Seems like a lot of hub copying going on lately.

One hubber has even pinched one of Maddie's hubs to use on his blog lol
    see http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/32983

13. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

Excuse me ,I'm wrong, its not half the article... its the WHOLE article minus your yoga video. GEEEESH!

1. xboxps3wow profile image40
      xboxps3wowposted 14 years ago

if you can't access her site from your ip, try using ztunnel.com (its a proxy) and you will see if it works from there

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Thanks everyone!  I didn't know it was possible to block an IP address - learned something!

I'm sure Misha will tell me a backlink is a backlink, even if she has kept the whole article.  I'll think about whether to do anything further.

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
        Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can send a complaint to google
        http://www.google.com/dmca.html

They can delist the site, and may cancel any adsense accounts of people who infringe copyright.

cheers,
        Eric G.

Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know, Eric - I'm just remembering some comments Misha and Mark made on an old thread. From memory, they both felt that it was better to leave the article and get the benefit of the backlink.  I'm taking it you don't agree - or do you feel I should do something on principle?

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
            Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa,

Whichever way you want to go, it's up to you.
            I just put the link there as an option for you.

sometimes it's worth chasing after these mongrels - sometimes it's not.
            I'd be surprised if you're making anything at all out of the backlinks.

cheers,
            Eric G.

2. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, Misha will say exactly this. Did not check it for nofollow though smile

3. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years ago

I think it is disgusting!  She should be used as an example!!

4. gamergirl profile image84
      gamergirlposted 14 years ago

It's not just Marisa this blog is copying word for word, but all kinds of other sites too.

5. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 14 years ago

Marisa, you really ought to do something about this. I would --  without question.
      I've read all the comments here, and visited that Blog.
      I'm going back there now to leave a comment -- this person should know how many people are standing behind you.

6. mel22 profile image60
      mel22posted 14 years ago

Marisa, view the source code and just look for do follow or nofollw in the code, like misha suggested.. If its nofollow than you might as well report since you would not be getting any search rank advantage.. only traffic.. and as I said your whole articles there so they will have no need to click the link to your hub.. wheres the benefit in that...?

here i copied it  from the source for ya and thers no dofollow or nofollow attribute so not sure but I think its dofollow by default: <a href="http://hubpages.com/hub/stiff-neck-shoulder">www.hubpages.com/hub/stiff-neck-shoulder</a>:</p>

this is what the code looked like inside the paragraph not too sure what the double dots are for before the paragraph tag

7. relache profile image74
      relacheposted 14 years ago

File a Notice of Infringement with the blog ISP and/or Google.  That should take care of things.

8. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

A few months ago I was notified that someone had copied my hub. When I checked I also saw a link to my hub. I haven't got around to doing anything and I've actually made quite a few sales from it and it's getting really good traffic.

I'll probably just rewrite the hub - and keep the link.

But I understand that you find it very upsetting and wanting to act on principle as well. I'd say it's your choice.

Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, that's kind of what I'm figuring too. It's other people who seem to be getting upset about the principle! 

I've emailed her again and asked her to cut down to a couple of paragraphs - still can't see the site so let's hope she does.

1. Cyber Lawyer profile image60
          Cyber Lawyerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Engaging in email correspondence with the infringing party and permitting her to use part of your text may weaken your case, if you decide later on that you want her to cease and desist.

If she can get away with this, she will probably steal more of your contents some other day. Whatever you do, she needs to be put on notice that you will be watching her closely from now.

Going via Google and/or the ISP makes a lot of sense, instead of dealing directly with an unscrupulous publisher.

9. Alessia Amnesia profile image59
      Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

I took a better look at the site. Does that woman have any words of her own? lol

Anyway, I left her a comment telling her she has no mind of her own, basically, because every article I read "by" her was nothing but copy/pasting from other articles.

10. flread45 profile image59
      flread45posted 14 years ago

It looks to me like she links back to your hub for more of the story on stiff necks.
      She is giving you a back link,which will make you money when others click back to your hub.

11. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Marissa remind me about this over the weekend and I'll be happy to visit the site and send you an email of what is still on her site. Just so you'll know.

12. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 14 years ago

I discovered some of my Helium health articles on a medical site last night! They listed me as the author, but they never purchased the articles.

1. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
        Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

I now know how these a$$holes get away with doing articles for $1 each on freelance sites. They steal from us spin it in a software and sell as thier own.  found some of mine and they removed it as soon as I threatened reporting them

2. mel22 profile image60
        mel22posted 14 years ago

reporting back... she did cut WAAAy down on the article and left the statement   ...and if youd like to read the read the rest of the article you can do so by clicking http//: hubp....etc. so it looks more like a long excerpt but is still a good quarter of the article. Its up to you on how you feel at this point since she complied with you... somewhat!

3. Creaminizer23 profile image61
        Creaminizer23posted 14 years ago

The author of that site does not have the right to steal your content. I checked the site and I visited it with ease.

4. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
        Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

Marissa that sucks, you should file an Infringement notice with the blog ISP and also with Google. Ii is a pain in the watoosy having to do it considering it's your article but...It's beyond me why anyone thinks that they should be able to get away with theft.

1. Money Glitch profile image64
          Money Glitchposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Zsuzsy! I know we all love the possibility of getting those prized backlinks. However, if she has copied your work word for word that is plagiarism.  Google will flag one or both your sites for that which in turn could reduce your score for that hub and any other hubs that she copies. Not worth the backlink to me! smile

5. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Ohhhhh lovely, another copy artist. I’d file for mine as there’s no backlink so I'm a bit ticked off ... wouldn’t have minded so much if there was one, cheeky swine. Anyway can't find a single place to file anything to. Weird site hmm

The links are hubs I found there, copied in full ... there’s a load more so if you find anything that’s yours, the choice is yours, to file or not.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Wear-A-Mini-Skirt

http://hubpages.com/hub/15-Awesome-Websites-to-Bookmark

http://hubpages.com/hub/Real-Monsters-i … -Sightings

http://www.online-pinoy.com/blogs/spa-a … ger=tinjin

And this: http://www.online-pinoy.com/blogs/blogger/tinjin/ is the word pilferers link.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)