Will The Real Prophet Please Stand Up

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (61 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I seem to notice there are a lot who believe they are prophets. If you believe you are a prophet, how and why do you think you are a prophet? All of the claimed prophets I have seen continually contradict themselves.

Will the real prophet please stand up? big_smile

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image61
      Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you looking to join the religion Alessiatarianism? All you have to do is give me all your money and property and come live on my compound, which has not yet been bought. I can save you from eternal damnation.

lol

2. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If God had something really importantant to say, why would He trust a single person to carry out His divine message. Why doesn't He simply speak to everyone at once! By doing this, God can save a bunch of time and there would be less chance of a human screwing it up.

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1) Religious partiality of god
        2) God is busy during recession taking care of people, so he sent prophets in that time
        3) God is not advanced enough for global video conference,so please understand his position.
        4) Verizon and NETZero plans are costly so he might save time on webinar but can't reach all people. So technology can't reach all species in this planet.

2. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Prophet Fever?

3. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Maybe I'm a prophet and I don't know.
    For how can you know you're a prophet ?

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you have to be absolute in faith that you are favored as a messenger of God to deliver truth? I also think it requires meditation to know that "God is Light" as some famous hubpage prophets have claimed. big_smile Not mentioning any names.
      I also think you have to believe you are favored by God to be the wisest of the wise.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If a prophet doesn't make sense, he or she should be chucked (barred from using the "name", or title, or whatever it is). The Buddha is said to have warned people not to trust anything any teacher says, including himself, but to use their own rational faculties to decide.

4. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Then only the insane  can think he/she is a prophet.

lol You may be right. But then again, I think we all have a touch of insanity. Maybe the key is to balance it. Maybe it will make someone insane trying to balance it. lol
      I don't know if my definitions are right for prophet.

5. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Well you either believe in the first prophet, and you are Jewish, the Second Prophet, in which case you are Christian, the third Prophet, in which case you are muslim, or the fourth prophet, in which case you are from the church of Latterday saints.

I think that just about covers it.

Most other people believe in reality, which is slightly more to my own tastes.

lol But here is the catch. Those that believe in those prophets are continually looking for a prophet to return. This in return gives opportunity for everyone to claim they are prophets and have people believe them.

6. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Since dictionary.com defines "prophet" as ...

1.     a person who speaks for God or a deity, or by divine   
           inspiration.
    2. a.  a person chosen to speak for God and to guide the people
           of Israel
       b.  one of the Major or Minor Prophets.
       c.  one of a band of ecstatic visionaries claiming divine   
           inspiration and, according to popular belief, possessing
           magical powers.
        d. a person who practices divination.

3.     one of a class of persons in the early church, next in 
           order after the apostles, recognized as inspired to
           utter special revelations and predictions. 1 Cor. 12:28.

4.     the Prophet, Muhammad, the founder of Islam.

5.      a person regarded as, or claiming to be, an inspired 
            teacher or leader.

6.      a person who foretells or predicts what is to come: a 
            weather prophet; prophets of doom. 

7.      a spokesperson of some doctrine, cause, or movement.

Are you referring to only 1-4 or are you including 5 - 7?  Because I believe everyone has the potential to be a prophet if the whole defination is considered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll take 5 and 7 if you don't mind. However, you can leave the "GOD" concept on the side of the road.

I prefer Life knowledge and wisdom, which leads to positive self-interest, on to self-growth and ends at love and spirituatlity.

Just in case, I haven't made myself clear in the past. smile

1. The Rope profile image61
        The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile:   Cag - I've been reading your work ever since I got started here.  I'd definately refer to you as a prophet of the 5 & 7 type!  Cheers!

Well, I think both the religious prophets and the nostradamus types are bogus.

Both types seem to like leaving many things open to interpretation. If they didn't leave everything so open to interpretation and described with clear detail, there should be little to no debate over whether or not things are true.

7. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

The world does not need more prophets!! 
         The world does not need more interpretations of scripture.

The world needs Teachers that can read scripture for what is actually written. 
         When we read a novel we do not start reading in the middle,jumping back and forth until we have read every page.
         Why do we do this when trying to understand the Scripture??

It might have something to do with those who originally began religion, so as to entice people by mysteries that need solving, and make the "leap" of faith, to assume it is true without factual truth.

big_smile

If the scripture didn't leave so much open to "interpretation" it wouldn't take "prophets" to interpret it.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The longest and most detailed prophesy was delivered by Daniel.
        I think that if we read this book and understand it to say what is written without attempting to interpret it; There would not be any confusion.

lol, Alright, List some of your favorite passages by Daniel and I will likely show the parts it leaves open to interpretation. If it didn't leave parts open to interpretation, it wouldn't need to be interpreted. Does what I wrote just now need to be interpreted right now by anyone other than you?

Lets begin with Chapter two... 
            Beginning in 506 BC ..there will be four consecutive kingdoms.
               Chapter 7...(559 BC)  These same four kingdoms are again described and Gabriel interprets the meaning.
               Chapter 8 ... (556 BC)  The second and third kingdom is identified by Gabriel as being Persia and Greece. Greece breaks up into four smaller kingdoms and the fourth kingdom will rise up out of one of these four.

And yet people interpret this fourth kingdom to be yet in our future????   The "Little Horn" described is then interpreted by man to be the Antichrist yet to come in our future.

It is clearly written that these prophesy were to be fulfilled during the time of these four kingdoms.
               Babylon, Persia, Greece and The Roman Empire.

Read the book void of man's interpretations and it is a simple story to understand. When the book of Daniel is understood without interpretation the mystery will be removed.

1. getitrite profile image71
              getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Was the book of Daniel actually the words of God?  That is the real mystery!

All that I can say is that if this is not a message from God
                then what can we say "IS" the word of God.  If believers do not believe this book what is the basis of believing any of them? If we dismiss this ..We night as well dismiss it all.
                   I believe that false interpretation of this Book to be at the center of our confusion and division.

1. getitrite profile image71
                  getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, this book, along with Genesis thru Revelations should be dismissed. Why would a wise God use puzzling nonsense to "guide" his followers.  These are not the words of God, but are the sensational delusions of madmen calling themselves "prophets!"

I think that you have miss understood what I am saying.  The book is not the problem.  It is mans compulsion to "INTERPRET" those things that are written. They have already been interpretated by Gabriel..  They mean exactly what they say. And are not hard to understand.

What is the importance of kingdoms of Greece? Where is the prediction that said jets would hit the twin towers on 9/11?
              Why did Gabriel have to interpret it? Why couldn't the reader read it without Gabriel?

The little horn? Why didn't they use he word Antichrist if thats what they meant? Why leave "little horn" open to interpretation?

Again, if things weren't left open to interpretation, they wouldn't need to be interpreted.

8. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

*stands up* Yes, it's true. Kneel now.

lol lol

What is your prediction of 2012? lol

1. muslima61 profile image73
        muslima61posted 14 years agoin reply to this

nothing more than a film to make megabucks from the general public

9. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

It would help to know that the scriptures themselves are out of context, therefore any reading of them is interpretation.

In many scriptures, words were purposely left out, so as to lead a person to make "leap of faith", simply based on the words written. smile

10. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Okay. I'll stand up; but only for a minute, I'm busy planning last-minute second-coming stuff. big_smile

lol That sheep doesn't look right. Where is the happy sheep?

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

He is happy; almost orgasmic, really. big_smile

1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's how you look before an orgasm ?? roll

Mmmmm......
          (closing the door, and walking away)

lol

1. profile image0

Or tripping on 'Shrooms, I don't recall clearly. big_smile

1. tantrum profile image60

roll
              (Opening the door and peeping )

Do you have some ?
              big_smile

1. profile image0

Always have a heap out back. big_smile

He looks more demonic. big_smile

1. profile image0

He does look a bit possessed, huh? Yikes!

Yes, he has some negative energy. lol

2. tantrum profile image60

Don't forget to preach about me. Remember you're one of my priests!
      big_smile

1. profile image0

You're in My Book of Favs, no worries. big_smile

11. profile image54
    (Q)posted 14 years ago

Prophets = Profits

12. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Thirty years studying a single form of psychological delusion seems a bit insane to me tongue

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Psychology itself is a delusion.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I can agree to that. A rare moment! smile

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Extremely rare. lol

13. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

I'm more like that guy standing on his soapbox on a busy metropolitan street with his big "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!" sign and an aluminum-foil hat......not to be confused with a prophet...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)