Do You Think Punxsutawney Phil Should be Replaced With Robo-Groundhog?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Green Lotus profile image60
    Green Lotusposted 14 years ago

Happy Groundhog's Day Hubbers!  Did you know that PETA wants to replace Punxsutawney Phil, Groundhog Day's beloved mascot, with a ROBOT claiming that the star of the February 2nd tradition is being exploited! What do you think?!!

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think we should BBQ Punxsutawney Phil and serve him up with some cole slaw and potato salad!

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Typical Texan, thinking with their stomach!  lol

2. Green Lotus profile image60
        Green Lotusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are outrageous! yikes

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that good or bad? Now that I think about it you're right, probably should add a Bearnaise sauce!

It's all good and don't make me laugh.  My damn nose is broke and you ain't helping. 

ps  I'd go the barbeque route.

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

as long as it never sees its damn shadow, I dont care if they use a stuffed animal. But...I also think peta is going overboard. maybe theyll do some sort of naked protest?

Justine I think Phil did see his shadow today sad meaning six more weeks of winter). I like winter in Georgia so no complaints here! How about a naked Peta protest using a naked robot?

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

GASP!! A naked roobot!! Now thats just....indecent....    lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NO!!
      that would be like getting rid of or replacing "Buckeye Chuck"

Its kind of our Ohio-Pennsylvania rivalry , in a way, just like a Browns Steelers game.

Let Tradition be tradition, the animals are not harmed and are very well taken care of, they are quite the local celebrities!

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i think those PETA people are going a little overboard. maybe Phil likes his gig...

a robot? good grief.

3. The Rope profile image59
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

PETA is trying to make headlines every which way.  One of their last campaigns was to replace the UGA mascot with a robot.  That campaign failed because they didn't do their homework.  "Ugga" the official mascot, lives better than most humans on earth and is well cared for and seemingly loves his life.  Good grief, in the 50's and 60's the boy (an earlier "ugga" obviously) had his own hotel suite, his own groomer and his own handler.  PETA needs a reality check.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Am I the only who hears creepy echoes of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (the book that became Blade Runner) in this whole animal robot deal?

Weird stuff. That groundhog (whose name I can't spell) is an enormous, lazy old fuzzball who's cared for better than his poor wild counterparts. I assure PETA that he gets fed and watered and medical care and probably luvin's and all that crap, and all he has to do is get held up in front of a crowd once a year. He's a happy hog. I'm all for animal rights, don't get me wrong...but the PETA people are just out there. They complain and make a fuss about weird fringe stuff and fail to do anything (that I can see) about the really terrible common abuses that even moderates can agree on. Strange.

I agree totally. If they keep it up, I just might start wearing my Mom's mink coat when I visit the north in winter, as a PETA protest.

1. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i know this sounds terrible, especially since i have a little furry creature of my own (a rabbit), but sometimes i see fur coats like white mink and think 'ahh'...i would love to wear one just once. mmm i bet they are soft and silky.

but i do think it is wrong to slaughter defenseless creatures like baby seals and whatnot just to take their skins.

I think there's a fine line between what's politically correct and what's not when it comes to the fur industry. If it's about inhumane treatment to animals (PETA's main "pet peeve") something can be done to correct it. If it's about using animals for our own purposes, well that opens up a whole different kettle of fish (or lamb stew if you please).

Recently the figure skater Johnny Weir was ruthlessly attacked by PETA and other animal activists for having a bit of fox trim on his costume. His reply was one of disgust saying "“You’re protecting animals (while) we have soldiers dying all around the world.” He also asked why they didn't pick on those who wear leather and other hides. Interesting point.

4. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Everything/everyone could be exploited and still reap huge benefits. The question is in that exploitation is there any real, damaging abuse. That would be the problem, not exploitation. The word is too broad, and to use as solely a negative form is just narrow minded and slightly stupid.

Hence, leave Phil alone. He's luckier than most Americans.

1. The Rope profile image59
      The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here!  Here!

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

I am a huge animal lover, and PETA has done a lot of good for animals over the years, but they've gone off the deep end more than once, and this is one of those times.

They lose credibility when they push issues like this.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I've heard that Phil is well taken care of!

robo groundhog?

It's that "Surrogate" mentality creeping into our culture yikes

7. Green Lotus profile image60

Peta is saying that Phil is being abused because he's on display all year and is subjected to screaming crowds, excited children, ect, ect. I say, if Phil is happily eating his 3 square meals and shows no sign of aggresssion or illness, he's better off entertaining the crowds than fending for himself in the wild.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

with that logic, it would carry over into a lot of things.
      animals adapt to their environment.

mabye they should have robo teachers in the classrooms! lol

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ummm...in some cases, from what I remember of my school days...they already DO have robo teachers in the classrooms! lol

Of course, we can expect to hear about the radical new RATS orgazation any day now.... (That would be the "Robo-Abused Teacher Surrogates".)

8. Green Lotus profile image60

Hmmmm. I have to ponder on that one. wink

9. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Why don't we replace Phil with Al Gore?  He's about as accurate.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a good idea-- In fact, all animals and humans--especially politicians, should be replaced with . . .  something.

10. Green Lotus profile image60

Just for the record..According to the Groundhog Inner Circle, Phil is extremely accurate with a spot on prediction of 100%. Although it's also been said that it is practically impossible to have an early spring. Depends on where you live too smile

I did not know that!  I'm impressed and am changing my opinion of the little guy.

smile  smile  smile

I'm in your debt  smile

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The little fellow is a STAR and has STAR POWER, how could any idiot even think about replacing him.

Not that I agree with an animal giving prediction about how long winter season is going to be. It's simply foolish. But, again, it's a star after so many years and that star power is going to keep him in charge, per se.

I could not care any less with whether or not it saw it's own shadow. lol lol lol lol lol

Thumbs up Cagsil!

12. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

#1 Phil has it better than most groundhogs do.
    #2 What would happen to him if they started using a robot instead?
    -He would have to be put in a zoo because he has been in human civilization for so long that he'd never make it in the wild. A zoo would be the exact same environment.
    #3 Dogs and cats are subjected to screaming children and large crowds of people all the time. Is PETA going to try to take away my cats next? That's not gonna happen!

I think PETA does some good things, but some things they do are RIDICULOUS. Phil is happy, healthy, and an icon. If anything, Phil shows people that animals are useful and should be treated with respect.

Remember when PETA trashed the President for swatting a fly? It's unbelievable what they'll do for publicity. (hey don't pick up on Obama on this thread puhleeze :lol

1. profile image0
        Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that was insane considering the average fly only lives 24-72 hours anyway. And, if they know so much about animals, they would also know that, because of over-population, flies spread disease among human beings and other animals, as do mosquitoes. PETA is crazy.

13. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Oh, PETA...making us vegetarians, vegans an animal activists often look silly. I appreciate their conviction, but this is overboard...how they go about things does not encourage or educate people about animal problems, rather pushes them away sometimes!

People do far worse things to animals than have a groundhog as a mascot...they should be focusing their energies elsewhere like on cruelty in puppy mills, seal clubbing and fur trades. hmm

14. aakbar02 profile image61
    aakbar02posted 14 years ago

hai  frions

15. farooqueum profile image58
    farooqueumposted 14 years ago

i love you B C BOUTIQUE

16. aakbar02 profile image61
    aakbar02posted 14 years ago

EVIRIBODY     THIS     BEST OF TIME TAKE CARE MY FRIONS  BY THE WAY ,YOU SHOUID SPREAD   DON T MISS YOU         GOOD LUCK  AKBAR  INDIA  KERALA MEENANGADI   54

17. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I believe the issue with Phil, which has not been noted even once, is that groundhogs normally hibernate....the conditions Phil lives in do not allow for him to live his natural rhythms

groundhogs hibernate between october and march/april so naturally phil shouldnt be awake to perform groundhogs day activities.

what keeps being cited as conditins better than many humans seems to suggest that a groundhog would prefer human conditions which it probably doesnt.

essentially a gilded cage situation

..its a retarded custom anyway, everyone seems to be stuck on the animatronics aspect ...who cares, why not just stop it completely...Bill Murray didnt seem happy when he was stuck in Punxsutawney

Very insightful comment sunforged; however, Phil is not on display all year as PETA suggests. Those who live in Punxsutawney have responded by saying that Phil is allowed to hibernate. I don't exactly know whether they "wake him up" for groundhog's day.

18. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Ive done some light research since reading this thread, according to what ive seen so far, Phil lives in a "habitat" in their library and is on display year round

19. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

just shoot the groundhog and let's make soup.. lol lol lol

No one can say you don't have a way with words wink

20. farooqueum profile image58
    farooqueumposted 14 years ago

i love you

21. bearnmom profile image67
    bearnmomposted 14 years ago

I have not read any of the other postings because I don't want to be influenced by anyone else's opinions.  I think that Phil is an institution that should be kept going.  No robot is ever going to replace the sensationalism that one little ground hog has created over the years.  I thoroughly enjoyed the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray and I am of the opinion if it had been a robot the movie would never have made the silver screen.  I have never been present for one of the events but my son lived in Dubois for 18 months and took the trip down.  He reported that the event was every bit as fun as it appears to be on TV.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)