A Belief Title

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (49 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

-Why are so many people so quick to title their belief or non belief when something new is learned everyday? Is a belief title counterproductive in learning? If you have a belief title or non belief title, are you striving to learn everything or just the things that fit the belief or non belief title?

1. thooghun profile image95
      thooghunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see titles and beliefs are separate entities. Titles cater to our nature in as far as they allow us to "belong", whereas true beliefs are profoundly personal. Any belief that is expressed solely socially is not a belief at all as far as I'm concerned, but is simply a social device.

To this end I agree that they are counter productive internally. But they have a social function in bringing people with similar ideas together.

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent points! I don't have anything to argue which is pretty rare.Thank You.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

****ANOUNCEMENT***

HELL HAS OFFICIALLY FROZEN OVER! I REPEAT! HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

LMAO

Ice Cold. big_smile

2. profile image56
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They may very well dismiss or ignore that something new learned in favor of their beliefs, especially if it puts into question the foundations of those beliefs.

Of course, it is a primary avenue to learn whenever ignorance can be resolved. Unfortunately, there is still the problem of dismissing and ignoring that to be learned.

That is the 'Crux of the Apostrophe' so to speak, according to Zappa. smile

Didn't you say that science doesn't lie in another thread? If you believe that, how would you recognize it if science did lie?

1. Hokey profile image61
          Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never said that. Science like religion is man made. Anything man made is subject to corruption.

That question was to Q.

1. Hokey profile image61

I apologize sir.

It's alright, none needed.

2. profile image56

Science can't lie, it's a method, not a person. Restate your question.

I disagree. Man made the method. Please explain how it is impossible for science to lie. There is science to figure out who is innocent or guilty in a court case, you think the scientific facts used to put the case together can't lie?

1. profile image56

Science is a method, not a person, so it can't lie. You've been told this several times now yet you continue to ask the same question. The mouth moves but Mr. Brain has long since departed?

lol, Just because you "tell" something doesn't explain it. Explain how the method doesn't lie. Is that your idea of science, state something without explanation?

1. profile image56

Explain how a method doesn't lie? You do have a serious reading comprehension problem, my friend.

You make a claim, don't explain it, then ask me to explain it for you. How about you first explain how it is impossible for your claim to lie and then I will make my case of how it could lie.

3. kess profile image61
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Titles and labels serve the purposes of evil more than that of Good and it is good not to apply any to oneself except that which is the all encompassing "son of God."

Nevertheless, ignorance will always seek to apply it's labels  to accomplish the work of evil and condemnation. 

But to  righteousness the condemnation of ignorance is good, and that one need not resist it for it is His justification.

Seeking after all knowledge itself is vain pursuit, for worthless knowledge is plentiful.

Who therefore seeks the knowledge of truth, posses all knowledge.

How many religious believers would read the God dilusion without fear of letting the devil or demons in? How can you understand both sides of an argument when you fear to put yourself in the other sides shoes?

2. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I agree. Beliefs are a personal understanding of what works for you while titles categorize practices.

So why do so many title or want to title their personal beliefs? How do you agree when you title yourself a Buddahist?

1. Hokey profile image61

For me Buddhism is what works. In Buddhism we don't discount others beliefs or practices because we simply don't know. God is a mystery and undefinable. Buddhism is a title of the way we practice. Such as meditation and the principals of Impermanence, Kharma, Suffering, and that all things are without an independent self. God is left up to the interpretation of the individual. So our beliefs are our beliefs. Our practice is our way of connecting with our beliefs.

I''ve never been a fan of easy questions. In your belief of God, how would you respond to somthing that challenges the idea that there is a God? What would keep you from disagreeing simply to protect your belief of God?

1. Hokey profile image61

My belief is my belief and it doesn't matter what anyone else says. I am confident in my beliefs because they work for me and I see the benefits all around me all the time. Live and let live. To each his own. It is not my job to try to sway others or be swayed.

Doesn't that contradict learning new things?

1. Hokey profile image61

For me Buddhism is what works. In Buddhism we don't discount others beliefs or practices because we simply don't know. So no. That doesn't contradict learning because part of this practice is having an open mind to other beliefs. So part of my belief is to be open to the ideas of others and thier interpretations. This way I can make my own decision based on the many different view points.

3. goldenpath profile image66
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

You recently did a thread on "What is Absolute"?  I have continued to think about that question.  Learning is an absolute in my opinion and essential to the human experience.

1. Hokey profile image61

I totally agree

2. marinealways24 profile image58

Goldenpath, I agree. What if a person believed the bible was all they needed to learn on because they believed it was the word of God. Why would a person that believes they have already found God look outside of the bible when it answers their questions? Wouldn't the bible keep them from learning new things in a way?

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

During periods of fast change as in today's world, we need to be able to cope with major changes and quickly. What seemed written in blood one day may be blown away the next. A very good grasp of reality is required to sort it out. The sword of logos is the best tool for this job, not stuck thinking. Some are adapting well, some not. smile

Hello Earnest, I agree, I think content is control while learning is limitless.

5. kess profile image61
    kessposted 14 years ago

Men lies

Lies leads to errors

Men devises methods

Therefore method has errors ( lies ).

1. profile image56

Fyi - errors and lies are two different things. See a dictionary for the distinction.

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No matter what the dictionary says, both are untruths.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do you figure that? smile

1. profile image0
            SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

An error is something that was made falsely or made with mistakes. It is therefore an untruth. It is wrong and not right. Even if made by accident, it is still wrong.

I hope I don't have to explain what a lie is. tongue

1. profile image56

It's obvious to me now that I misread your post as a direct response to the dictionary than to the meaning you had in mind. My bad.

2. profile image56

Surely SirDent, you don't expect me to sit here an accept a statement like that, do you?

Seriously, did you actually read what you wrote there? No, seriously.

These are simple definitions of words, SirDent. They are patterned that way in order for us to use them to help explain our ideas to each other. We use them to distinguish between certain concepts where clarification is vital to understanding.

SirDent, I implore you, sir. Even if you have to turn to your scriptures for advice on this one, it will never teach you to deceive yourself on such simple matters as these.

1. kess profile image61
            kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

golly

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this Applies to book of imaginary friends(old and new testament friends) ? wink

6. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Umm I'm agnostic. I put a title to it because it makes it easier. It doesn't limit my span of thought or belief.

Do you put yourself in a state of mind to not believe in a God to see from anothers point of view?

1. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. As well as putting myself in the state of mind of believing in God to see someone else's. It gets more difficult for me, however, to put myself in the state of mind of someone who believes the bible as fact and the word of God. But I try, I really do.

That is pretty honerable. I don't have any disagreement to a persons belief when they don't let the title or fear rule their thoughts.

1. Colebabie profile image59
            Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you on that. It is quite frustrating to not be able to have a discussion with someone because they put up that block.

As well as people who don't live their lives how they want or do things that they want to do. Things that make them happy... because of their title.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)