Animal Rights

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image48
    moonbeamz99posted 14 years ago

Would you put down a dog that stayed too long in the pound because no one wanted it???

1. LRobbins profile image46
      LRobbinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I think we need to support our shelters better so that they are not forced to put down animals that stay "too long" in the pound, which in some cases is a matter of a few days.  I think as a society we need to move towards no kill shelters and supporting them.  I have rescued 4 cats from the pound and one of them was to be put down the next day.  She is an amazing cat and I cannot imagine not having her around.

1. torimari profile image66
        torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

It stinks that we have to put down animals that are perfectly healthy and friendly pets, but it starts with us supporting shelters and FIXING our pets.

If we fix (neuter/spay) our pets, and stop breeding them (unless you are a certified, licensed breeder) we will minimize the influx of animals into shelters and in wildlife. It reduces problems on so many levels for the animals, us and the environment.

I hate when people criticize shelters that euthanize---it does stink, but what choice do they have? All I can say is that they are helping animals more than those who complain, and more than I could help them. :]

Remember, no kill shelters eventually run out of room and many of their animals not adopted within a few days end up sooner or later in a shelter that is forced to euthanize.

I don't think I could euthanize an animal in general, healthy or not. :[

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

N E V E R!!!!!

Oh I just couldn't.

3. Tadeusz598 profile image76
      Tadeusz598posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldnt have a problem about it. We kill pigs , sheep and cattle without the least bother.

Why should stray dogs be different?

4. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it cannot be rehomed, and is being kept in a bare kennel, I think leaving it alone in there for years to go crazy would also be cruel.

No one wants to kills dogs. But no one wants to pay for giving them state-funded enriched instututional homes when they don't get adopted either.

Then they make life hell for the poor guy left to euthanise them rather than the person who breed or deserted them.

5. Lucky Cats profile image80
      Lucky Catsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not!  What right have we to take life....particularly just because another 'human being' has not yet found value in that life?  We are way out of our league when it comes to bestowing life or taking it away.   NOT OUR CALL!!!

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Would you prefer that the dog is killed by someone else or run over by a car/vehicle?

Let's be serious, not everyone can own a dog and many do not want dog. So, with that said, there can NEVER be enough places to house animals, unless it's own or operated Zoo which is profitable.

Shelters and clinics are only temporary for a reason, because the breeding habits of dogs, even out pace that of humans. Thus, there can never be enough humans to give a home to all dogs.

No matter how you look at it? Putting a dog down, because no one wants it or because there is no other place to put it, then it must be done.

Accept it move on. Animals rights are good, but be realistic. smile

1. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd prefer that people acted responsible towards their pet.  That's what I prefer. 

I don't understand why that is too much to ask, but apparently it is.  Look at Michael Vick.  Disgusting.

2. Lucky Cats profile image80

Perhaps we should apply the same philosophy/methodology to human overpopulation; you know....all those orphaned kids around the world, all those in social services care...if no one wants them, "putting a child down because no one wants IT or because there is no other place to put IT, then it must be done."  How about  it?  Life is life.. whether walking on 2 legs or 4.  Your take on this is what keeps us in the dark ages.  You are the  one who must "accept it move on.  (Human) rights are good, but be realistic"

1. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You went a long way back to resurrect this thread !

You consider that human and animal pets are equal it seems.  How do you reconcile your views with eating any kind of meat ?

1. Lucky Cats profile image80

I don't.  Another specious argument designed to disarm rather than discuss.  I don't HAVE to reconcile it because your premise does not apply.  BTW, I noticed the question posted on the right side of a hub I was reading...no "going back a long way" here....another assumption  on  your part....Facts, my friend...facts, not conjecture or putting forth argument hoping to place your opponent in the defensive mode rather than deal with the question at hand.  You need to read my: Assumptions: the art of disarming an Opposing View."

3. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

ok they seize 30 cats from a old ladys house their thin and mangy but alive. the woman is charged with a crime . then what? they kill the 30 cats or most of them . a dog fight ring is raided . again all the dogs are alive and have a fighting chance at least . again a arrest takes place . what then ? they kill all the dogs. anyone seeing my point here?

1. torimari profile image66
      torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No.
      Many of those dogs and cats are not appropriate pets unfortunately or there is not enough services out there to cater to 'domesticating' these animals.

To elaborate, in the case of a hoarder, the cats often become feral due to lack of contact with humans. They live in feces and trash in many cases and become disease ridden beyond help. They are usually not plainly deemed as a bad pet as vets check them out at the shelters and sometimes htey are lucky if one cat can be rehabilitated. Thus, they end up being put down sadly. It's not the shelters fault, who luckily rescued animals from a probably miserable life and slow death...it is the hoarder.

SOME places do try rehabilitate pitbulls who fight and often fighting dogs are tested heavily to see if they can be maybe trained as pets...usually, fighting was hammered into their minds so much they are way to dangerous. It's pretty sad yet obvious why these dogs are euthanized.

The shelter save these animals from bad lives even if the humanely euthanize them.

2. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've discovered an untapped source of protien! At least if we eat them it's not a waste! This the perfect way to curb world hunger problem and stray dogs and cats will learn to hide better that way we exploit the new hunting challenge! Of course, half of all proceeds will go towards carbon credits!big_smile

3. Lucky Cats profile image80

aware...yes, I GET the point and second it!

4. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I think animals have just as much rights as humans! After all, we are all just animals! And I think we should respect all animals!

I think this is a double edged sword! If you don't put down some dogs and cats the world would be over run with pets that nobody wants! There simply is not enough homes that want pets to save all the animals! At least with euthinization they are put down humanely!

I would rather all the pets found homes! But realistically it's impossible! Too many dogs and cats reproduce uncontrollably which causes a surge in these animals! It would take a miracle to find homes for all of them! And it's just not going to happen!

It would be much easier if people who owned pets were moer responsible by getting their pet spayed or neutered! Then there would be less unwanted pets in the world! However, as with anything, humans are too irresponsible to do that! They would rather wait until the animal has a few litters of pups or kittens then take their pet to a street corner and drop it off leaving it to fend for itself in a cruel world!

People who own pets should have to take a class and then be forced to get their pet spayed or neutered! That's just my opinion!

1. erthfrend profile image59
      erthfrendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you are right Libby, I feel the same way. There is such a terrible epidemic of homeless pets, its just unreal. There are simply not enough homes for them all. Responsibility is the key. Stop breeding, spay/neuter!!!!! If people continue to breed dogs and cats, the shelters will continue to be overrun. Some shelters do cut down on the euthanasia rate by trading dogs with other shelters. For example if there is a small dog that isnt get adopted in one shelter they will give the dog to another shelter that has more of a demand for small dogs. Also, some shelters have breed lists that people can sign up on if they are interested in a certain breed. If one comes in to the shelter, the shelter will contact the people on that list and let them know that type of dog is available. And the key to a shelter's adoption success is creativity. Some shelters, like the one in our area, does all kinds of creative things to raise money constantly. Other shelters dont do any fundraising and those are the shelters that fail and have a much lower adoption rate and higher euthanasia rate.

5. shibashake profile image83
    shibashakeposted 13 years ago

San Francisco is considering a law to ban the sale of cats, dogs, hamsters, etc. from pet stores.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-07-08/n … e-hamsters

Absolutely great!  I sure hope this passed or will pass..there should be NO sales of living animals...particularly while there are millions being killed  in "shelters" across this nation daily!

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Its our call to domesticte the species, create the life, desert the life, catch the life and cage the life. At which point abandonning the responsibility to end the life when it becomes miserable seems irresponsible to me.

1. libby101a profile image60
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree! That is why people should get their pets spayed or neutered as soon as age allows! Many people still buy a pure breed and don't get them fixed because they think they can breed their animal and make money! Sadly 90% of the pets that get put down each year are from individual pet owners who bred their animal and either nobody bought it, or they sold it and the new owner couldn't take care of it properly, they were taken off, or ran away! It's very irresponsible to not get your pets spayed or neutered!

It is not the animal's fault! However, in reality we can't have a million pets running around starving either! It's more humane to put them down without pain than allow them to run the streets starving to death! And we don't have the space to keep that many animals! Over a million dogs alone are put down each year! Imagine if a million more dogs and probably a million more cats were running the streets starving? Wouldn't you feel worse for them? I believe that has to be one of the worse ways to die...starving!!!

I believe we are doing the best we can as far as trying to adopt them out before having them put down! It's up to each individual person to take responsibility for their own pets! Get them spayed or neutered! Don't breed your animals! And don't get an animal that you aren't positive you can take care of! Many people buy a cute little puppy, then will it gets big and weighs 70 pounds or more they give it away or take it off or whatever because it's no longer a little cuddly puppy! These are the people that anger me! What if we got rid of them once they were no longer a cute little kid?

2. Lucky Cats profile image80

Psycheskinner...you are so right...we are to blame for all of  it and should learn to be responsible.  We want these animals to entertain us, be "cute," be a toy for our kids and fill our emptiness until....until we no longer need them or want the responsibility.  Then, we throw them away...we MUST respect that animal life is equally as valid as  ours and that we also must be caregivers and guardians, not life takers and users.

1. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't be so totally ridiculous - your cat is NOT in any way as important as my child - your comments are over-emotional and marginally insane if you look at what you have written.

Most pets are bred to be pets and would not exist without that necessity - to equate them with human life is so out of balance that I can't imagine you are serious.

And - my question - if you feel so strongly about all this - how do you equate your views with eating meat ?

I won't be pulled in by your anger.  My cat is as important to me as your child is to you.  You've been taught to see this one way, and one way only.   We are in a state of  constant evolution which suggests that we continue to grow and expand our awareness and knowledge; not remain in the dark ages.  I don't breed animals, animals exist on their own; we are incidental to their existence; not primary.  We have taken it upon ourselves to define life and define value and thus, we are prisoner to these limitations.  Many philosophical and religious doctrines will tell you this.  Here you are again, casting aspersions ("over emotional and marginally insane..") in order to try to drive home your point of view.  I don't happen to support or agree with you.

If you did not understand; I responded that your question "how do you equate your views with eating meat?"  with "  'it does not apply."  To me.  Can you comprehend this?

Why people (you) are so threatened that not all of the human race agrees w/your take on this issue always surprises me..why are you so afraid of an opposing point of view?  Why so threatened thus angry?  You might want to look into that rather than callin names...I think you failed to read my article.  If you had, you'd see how stereotypical and predictable your statements are.

PS...My cat is equally as important...just as some feel their dogs are....live with it.  It's not going to change.

7. superwags profile image67
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

I'm all for animal rights so long as we keep them in perspective. A lot of medical science would simply fail to function without animal testing. If killing or testing animals leads to improved treatment of human conditions, then it's worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Animal labs in the UK are a target for these nutters and have to be like fortresses - the animal rights lobby here have done some horrendous things in the name of animal rights. Not that I'm trying to tar people who like cats and dogs with that brush!

8. TattooVirgin profile image58
    TattooVirginposted 13 years ago

No

9. profile image58
    wadavposted 18 months ago

Wow this is really amazing content love to read your article

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)