What do you think about dashes in titles?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

What do you think about dashes in titles?  Does it affect the SEO of that hub?

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good seo practice for URL, no purpose in titles

easyspeakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what about if the title makes more sense with a dash?  i use it as a way to keep it from getting too long.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
          Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it is necessary, place it in the title. Google won't mind it. Even WikiPedia places a dash in its page titles.

2. darkside profile image63
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can you give some examples?

Charity Water - Clean Water Projects

I'm trying to do 2 keyword phrases without making it too long.

1. darkside profile image63

That will work.

One thing I'd be mindful of is when I'm creating the URL, that you add that dash in after the URL is claimed.

Otherwise it'll have three dashes in a row in the URL.

I like to keep the URLs tidy, and preferably all lower case:

hub/charity-water-clean-water-projects

rather than:

hub/Charity-Water---Clean-Water-Projects

Darkside, try starting a hub with a hyphen in its title and you'll find out that HP has already taken care of this issue.

That's been tidied up? Excellent.

2. easyspeak profile image67

all good points.  things I am incorporating as I go along.  have lots of early hubs with 3 dashes in a row and capitalized words in the URL...too bad we can't go back and change the url.

Thankfully the hubpages.com server resolves a URL that is/is not capitalized to the originally claimed URL.

The biggest drawback is when people communicate to another person (any) URL and they repeat it verbatim. That is to say that they also tell them which words to capitalize.

Which does happen.

So instead of spelling out "hubpages dot com slash hub slash charity dash water dash clean dash water dash projects" (which is mouthful, but still straight forward) they'd be saying "hubpages dot com slash hub slash charity with a capital c dash water with a capital w dash clean with a capital c dash water with a capital w dash projects with a capital p"

It of course doesn't matter to HubPages (with a capital H and P big_smile) but for some sites it does so some people are in the habit of being sure they're 100% correct in repeating a URL.

I've seen (and heard) it happen over the phone and also in offices from one cubicle to another.

3. thisisoli profile image71
                thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definately follow darksides advice on checking your Hub URL.

You may also want to consider using vocabulary based alternatives, such as 'and' this wont make much difference to your title length, but may make the title seem a little more natural.  I would say it was a personal preference though, with little real SEO impact.

2. 2Tony profile image61
      2Tonyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I'm right in saying that in titles it doesn't really matter.
      In wordpress the title of a blog post attaches on to the main URL with a dash after every word.
      However in a main URL, out side of Hubpages it now seems that it is frown on by google; because of spammers over using them in the passed.   

T       U.K.

2. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

I don't see dashes making sense in a title unless it should be in a hyphenated word.

In my opinion if your title is that long then its not well targeted to your hubs keywords.

Personally I use titles for my main keyword phrase, or maybe add something like 'How to' to the keywords.

3. DanPowers profile image46
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

It's OK for a hub - just don't buy a domain name with a hypen!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I use dashes instead of colons when necessary in my titles.

5. WebbyAvatar profile image56
    WebbyAvatarposted 14 years ago

What does a dash refer to in this thread topic - a hyphen or underscore or both?

6. gravitywebsources profile image59
    gravitywebsourcesposted 14 years ago

I use dashes to sepearate site name in few of my sites. in newer sites i am using "::" for seperating my titles and site name.

7. chinweike profile image60
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

is ok, you can use dash to join two or more sentenses in your title

8. jacobkuttyta profile image45
    jacobkuttytaposted 14 years ago

I dnon't think any negative effect in using dash in the title.

I use very often

9. PMS9 profile image67
    PMS9posted 14 years ago

Dashes are used to avoid blank spaces.. spaces makes complicated to programmer for example if you not give dash or underscore then in execution of that link will show %20 as for spaces. so dashes are used to avoid %20 this value.

10. CarpetDiem profile image72
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

I think the OP should clarify if they mean dashes in the TITLE or in the URL (big difference). Dashes in the title if needed are just fine and I don't think matter. Dashes in the domain name can look spammy, but in the post url are normal.
    But again, how about clarifying and providing an example? smile

11. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

I love dashes and think that they sometimes make a title more readable. You could use a semi-colon but dashes are more fun.

dolores thanks for the input...I feel the same way.  But didn't know if it affected SEO

It does NOT. Why would it? There are way more myths about SEO than reality. In reality SEO is simple. Take SEO easy and it will eventually work for you.

12. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

This interesting. I use dashes in my titles quite often.

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The Life In A Day - Chain of Events From One Choice

If it matters, I used this as a title. smile

This is the actual URL

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Life-In-A-D … One-Choice

Not promoting...just an example.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)