what are they thinking? dems pass a law that violates

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (75 posts)
  1. politicsdaylee profile image61
    politicsdayleeposted 14 years ago

what are they thinking?

dems pass a law that violates the constitution, It goes to the supreme court, The supreme court deems it against the law, The People responsible are charged with treason. I'm no expert but could this happen?}

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. No one will get charged with treason, they won't even be impeached, though I think they should!

My guess is the Supreme Court won't find this bill unconstitutional, certainly not in it's entirety. They may find the provision to force citizens at birth to buy health insurance unconstitutional.

Frankly, I think the democrats KNEW this when they put it in the bill and put it in there anyway because they knew they couldn't pass a bill with a "public option".

The way to fix it is to tax all Americans and provide a "public option". That would probably be ruled constitutional, though I think the very idea of the federal government regulating health insurance is not! What I think doesn't matter and the Supreme Court is a political body and a part of the federal government. There's nothing stopping them from interpreting the Constitution in a way that protects the power of the federal government, even if it's at the expense of the people and of freedom!

politicsdayleeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

a flat tax?

1. profile image0

The thinking is that this commission on deficit reduction that Obama formed by executive order, will recommend a VAT tax like in Europe, a national sales tax. They might employ this to pay for health care or they might use it to reduce the national debt, which if you include all unfunded liabilities is about 400,000 for every man, woman and child in the country.

What's more likely is they will use the VAT tax for more and more entitlements in an effort to get re-elected. Immigration reform is next and I guarantee you, all illegal immigrants will be granted amnesty and made citizens, with full access to health care and all of the other wonderful welfare benefits that America provides.

2. 360DVDRepairGuide profile image61
        360DVDRepairGuideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah but why are illegals exempt from it? And they don't get fined either.

2. lawbaron profile image61
      lawbaronposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The healthcare bill is not against the Constitution.  Look to the commerce clause.  Same argument made against Medicare and Social Security.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image75
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Supreme court and the commerce clause.

http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/Commerce_Clause

2. politicsdaylee profile image61

Is the commerce clause the one that states, gov. cannot force the people any product.

Is the commerce clause the one that states, gov. cannot force the people to buy any product.

3. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The court has recognized limits to the Commerce Clause and this nightmare of a bill clearly exceeds them.

3. Med Champ profile image59
      Med Champposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Health Care Reform is Health Insurance Justice

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

LOLOLOLOL

I have 2 words for you geniuses.

"Income Tax" lol lol lol

do you think we are taxed too much?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dear me.

No - it violates the constitution. And you are worried about a few pennies in health care costs?

Sheesh.

sorry, good point

yes income tax, leaders in congress dont pay it why should we
      so give yourself a raise quit paying  income tax .
                there ya go marki thats good for a  LOLOLOL

3. politicsdaylee profile image61

I think mark is on to something . Don't pay income tax then you can afford health care

3. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

If we all refuse to pay our income tax we can easily resume control of our country.

They do not have the facilities to jail us all and without revenue they could not make payroll.

We subsidize our own oppressors.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why didn't you try this during the Bush reign?  We invaded a sovereign nation with no good reason.

who said anything bout bush , the problem is obama now .bush been gone

Obama will be gone too, eventually.  Suffer through it like we did with Bush or keep quiet about it.  I guarantee you you cannot dislike Obama any more than I abhored Bush.  Deal with it!

yea I got to for awhile.  ya know when obama first got elected I thought ,He might do a good job to prove himself , but he turend out just like the rest or maybe worse with this we bend the rules stuff.

Randy I like that snake that's cool

Thanks!  Some detest it. though!

ya know whats funny to is that tha same people who cant afford health insurance now have new burden. to be find and jailed... O that fixes every thing but they will be healthy in jail.

3. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you leading the revolution?  I'll look for you on the tee vee.

NO ,just going to vote against anyone who supported this bill,
        .......but nice try to demonize me

1. profile image0

Actually, that was addressed to Arthur, who said:

"If we all refuse to pay our income tax we can easily resume control of our country.

They do not have the facilities to jail us all and without revenue they could not make payroll.

We subsidize our own oppressors."

It was Arthur's idea.  I'm merely asking if he is going to take the lead on the revolt against government oppression.

I know we just talking

2. Arthur Fontes profile image75

I have been revolting against oppression since the mass murderer Janet Reno opened my eyes.

what did she do?
              I never paid much attention Janet
              actuality I just woke up... I'm one of those guys

o yea waco that was a lot of fishy stuff there.

2. profile image0

Really?  What form does this revolt take?

Just curious, as I've never talked to an actual revolutionary before.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
                Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think he means he's taking part in a revolution.  He merely feels that he is revolting.

1. profile image0

oh, my bad.

I do not own a car.

I do not have a home of my own.

I barter my services for food and shelter.

I usually buy things used.

I survive on very basic essentials.

1. profile image0

Impressive, but where's the part about going to jail for the cause?  I was hoping for something a little more daring, given your suggestion that people not pay taxes and go to jail.

No I said if enough people held back payment there would not be enough jail space for them to enforce the law.

4. profile image0

There is an organization called "We The People" that is challenging the IRS over withholding taxes on the premise that it violates the first amendment where it closes with the words "... and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The premise is what is an individual's recourse to petition the government for redress of grievances, if the government refuses to hear him? Based on that he claims he should be able to withhold his taxes or whatever portion he feels is collected in violation of his rights and as such withholding taxes from his pay is illegal.

The Supreme Court in a defeat for his cause REFUSED to define the meaning of those last 9 words of the first amendment.

4. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

It is frustrating that people cant wait for even the effect of the law, the lawmakers who signed the law must not all be crazy like all the poeple here want to say,

people just like to talk and criticize but cant see even the slightest objectives of the law

what happened to "US" is we became a country of talkers and criticizers not doers, easy to point fingers, impatient and unappreciative and lack of respect for other people who also voted for the people in the offices, as well as the lawmakers, we dont respect anybody, blah blah blah

what happened to democracy?

I'm a voter I do object to bureaucracy overwhelming the people with too many laws fines etc. we have plenty laws now how bout enforce some we have now like immigration laws.

1. alexandriaruthk profile image68
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

we have lots of good laws, the implementation is the problem as we have many stakeholders, like the health care law -- the people, the government, the two parties, republicans and democrats, pharmaceuticals, health insurers, illegal imigrants who are of course affected by the law

youre right, they should hurry up in coming up with illegal immigration laws, -- to legalize them -- period, since they cant stop them from coming, even if they sent these people home --  there are many who will replace them as the system of "entry" into this country is not perfect, it will happen and happen that people will come here and stay ilegally, why not legalize them -- they help the economy in many ways, they cheapen the labor market, and they bring a new culture into a diverse homogenous culture, hehe  -- new beers like CORONA is good, MUY MUY MUY

Yea..maybe annex Mexico

If we took over  Mexico make it part of America. they would not have to cross a border?

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
            Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We didn't do that when we had the chance because Mexico was pretty well deemed useless.

well it could use a little fixing up. its a beautiful country

2. alexandriaruthk profile image68

US cant even take car of his own people, maybe just legalize those who are already here, not all Mexicans want to be part of America

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
              Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's a good idea to just wave a wand and legalize everyone. However, maybe it should be modified so it is easier to get here legally. With so many illegals, it is bad for everyone. Many illegals are taken advantage of or exploited if you will, because they can't complain to anyone.

"why not legalize them -- they help the economy in many ways, they cheapen the labor market, and they bring a new culture into a diverse homogenous culture, hehe  --"

Distorting the labor market does not help the economy, and what the heck is a "diverse homogeneous" cluture?

yes speaking of distortion... I used to finish sheetrock and paint you cant decent living at that any more.
            Glad I learned how to play guitar. now I make more with my band.lol that's not saying much.

You make enough as a musician to live on?

Congratulations

lol yes

well I do studio work too, engineering, production,etc

2. alexandriaruthk profile image68

diverse and pretending to be homogenous when in fact people here came from different parts of the world!

1. Sab Oh profile image55

What do you mean by "pretending to be homogeneous"? Where do you see that happening?

2. Sab Oh profile image55

"people just like to talk and criticize but cant see even the slightest objectives of the law"

The people who 'voted' for this law (or voted for a rule change that says, "we didn't vote on it but let's say we did anyway") didn't even read the damn thing. Start there.

I know 2800 pages of legal jargon......

"what happened to democracy?"

The democrats have stomped all over it.

1. profile image0

Yeah, those darn citizens voted them into office, then they passed a bill using procedures and processes that have been used by Republicans many times before.

How dare they?

I'm not republican or democrat, the way I see it is. I don't like the rule bending
          or the hurry hurry factor, Heck I wouldn't buy a used car if the salesmen used the hurry up sign here tactic.  much less a monster bill like they passed.

2. Sab Oh profile image55

"Yeah, those darn citizens voted them into office"

And then they turned around and spit in the faces of those citizens.

1. profile image0

I am one of those citizens,and I am glad they finally did something about health care, or do you think only people who agree with you are citizens?

"I am one of those citizens"

You are in the minority. The majority of your fellow citizens made it clear they did not want this mess. It wasn't even that people weren't interested in health care reform - they didn't (and don't) want this mess, and certainly not in the greasy, corrupt manner it was passed. If the dems had been smart about it there could be several new laws in effect by now that the people would be satisfied with. The people don't appreciate a bunch of gangsters spitting in our face and they will remember this in November.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
                Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wrong again.  The majority of American citizens support the bill and that majority increases daily.

If the Democrats had been smarter instead of nicer, they would have shut the Republicans out at the beginning.  The dissapointment people have has more to do with it not going far enough, not as the right-wing fearmongers claim, that it goes too far.

The people will indeed remember this in November and throw more Republicans into retirement.

pretty I agree something needs to be done to fix health care .but this aint it ,the bill will make health care worse. Tort reform is a good start and they wipe that off the table

could it be too much bureaucracy interferes with democracy?

Too much corruption, arrogance, and overreaching

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)