“I’m an atheist, but one who believes in miracles”: Dr. Jacalyn Duffin

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Hi friends

An interesting article from Holy Post, titled “Saintly ‘science’: When doctors and doubters are called upon to prove miracles”

Dr. Jacalyn Duffin, a hematologist, lapsed Anglican and firm atheist,

“Catholic audiences go nuts when I say I’m still an atheist,” said Dr. Duffin, who laughs a lot when she tells about her role in saint-making. “They say, ‘How can you not be a believer having done all you’ve done?’

“I’m an atheist, but one who believes in miracles. I’m prepared to believe there can be more than one truth out there at any given time.”

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blog … acles.aspx

For your worthy comments and understanding life

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From this point on you are ignored.
      Enuf is enuf....click...gone! Off to "iggyland."

2. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

And trolling goes on, seriously do we have a life other than islam spam ? i mean what awesome sci-fi effect will be there if all forums members agree with you and becomes islamic ? any close call of judgement day ?

roll

3. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Nothing wrong with that. You don't have to be of any religion to believe in Miracles...

1. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend Lady_E

You are right; miracles do happen.

I understand some scientific discoveries were made for such experieces. The Creator- God Allah YHWH shows of himself in a number of ways. God is the greatest; no doubt.

Thanks

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep you sure can, like Tom Jones!

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is this what you are referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-ABC-0KM8

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great! I watched it.

Are you familiar with Catatonia in Australia? I don't think they did much, if anything, in North America. But it is hard for me to say, as I was in Europe at the time...

I only know catatonia as a form of schizophrenia.

They're Welsh (hence the weird way she pronounces things... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK8btpWl … re=related)

Fantastic! Thanks for that, great song! Great group! I will ad them to my collection. smile Never heard of them before. I feel my kids would be horrified that I did not know them! smile She almost sounds Australian! smile

Your kids may have been pretty young when they were big, (I know you said you have grandkids, so I am assuming your kids are grown), so they may not have known them...

2. profile image0

They were pretty short lived in the UK in fairness.... victims of the fall of Britpop. Mulder and Scully, and Road Rage, were released to great critical acclaim about the same time that Be Here Now had pretty much killed the movement. Then they went back to lower chart obscurity....

I am actually currently developing a blog dedicated to BritPop.... I will let you know when its presentable and throw you the link wink

1. profile image0

Oh and that Road Rage video is already on the blog as it happens! Coincidence that.... considering I only have 19 posts at the moment....Maybe I could show you some music when its all done, I probably could! I picked up a great keyword domain for that too....

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

Thanks for that. I think I was in Germany when they were around (I was there from 1994 to 1997, and in London from 1997 to 2001), so I may have been somewhat out of the loop...

1. profile image0

Well its all a bit subjective really. I have just written 1500 words on the history of Britpop....

Some people say 1992-1997 and others say 1993-1998

I concluded 1992-1997, with a few that hung on for another year. Catatonia were around since the early nineties.... those two singles were released between Jan 98 - March 98.... they basically emerged from obscurity just as the scene had fallen.

Bad luck basically.... Although Cerys Matthews is still fit, I have a thing about her, she does some solo stuff now.

I was just back in the UK as of early '98, which would explain why I remembered them, I guess.

4. secularist10 profile image60
    secularist10posted 14 years ago

What is a miracle?

A miracle is usually something that someone claimed happened that couldn't and didn't happen! lol

2. profile image49

Hi friends

One definition of miracles:

"Miracles are not seen in Islam as unnatural occurrences, but as natural phenomena that are concealed from human knowledge at that period of time. Otherwise, there would be many questions raised against the wisdom of God. If God created the laws of nature Himself, He should have made some provisions whereby without breaking them, He could bring about desired solutions to a problem.

Not all laws are known to man. There are categories of laws working as if in different tiers and on separate plains. Sometimes they are known to man only on one plain and man’s sight is not able to penetrate beyond. As time goes on, man’s knowledge increases, so does the penetration and his capacity to observe such laws as hitherto remained unperceived. In another era of scientific progress, new discoveries throw more light on such laws which seem to work in groups. So, not only is their function better understood but also their interaction with other laws.

Those things that appeared to be miracles in the early ages are no longer considered so. Miracles are so, only in relation to man’s knowledge in a specific period of time. When a special exercise of God’s power is displayed, apparently a law is broken. But it is not so; it is a hidden law that was already there and came into operation through God’s command. The people of that time could not have understood that law nor had they any control over it.

For example, the force of magnetism was not known to man a few thousand years ago. If somebody had accidentally discovered it and had contrived a device by which he could levitate things without any apparent cause discernible to the naked eye and to the wonderment of everyone, he could then exclaim, ‘Lo, a miracle, a miracle’. Today, such tricks are considered common place and trivial. The knowledge of man is limited whereas that of God is unlimited. If a law comes into operation that is beyond the scope of man’s knowledge, it looks like a miracle. But looking retrospectively at such instances with the hindsight of knowledge gained since, we can dismiss all such so-called breaches of the laws of nature as merely natural phenomena which were not fully comprehended by the man of that age.

This is why I said that there had to be a natural phenomenon responsible for the single parent birth of Jesus Christ, which was unknown to man of that period; it is not fully known to man even today. But science is advancing in that direction and more is being understood. A time may therefore come, when no one will be able to claim that the birth of Jesus was unnatural. They would have to agree that it was a natural but rare occurrence, so rare that it seldom occurs in human experience."

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/ch … Id-1006069

Thanks

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

These phenomena are what becomes fathomable when your consciousness expands.  Makes it very understandable for an atheist to believe in miracles - miracles being those events that are only unexplainable by a limited mind.

There was no natural phenomenon for the parent birth of Jesus.  Mary was a virgin in the context of what a virgin was described to be - a woman of purity not a woman who conceived a child without sexual means.  Pure of heart, pure of mind = virgin.  Misinterpretation and not a miracle.

2. secularist10 profile image60
        secularist10posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Paarsurrey:
        Fascinating! So if this is your definition of miracles, it would seem that you place great confidence in science and the process of scientific discovery.

From your definition, it follows that we should place faith not in any higher power in order to explain a miracle, but rather in the human mind. Right?

3. Beelzedad profile image60
        Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That statement would require knowledge of those unknown laws, hence the statement is a non sequitur. 

No new discoveries have brought any new light onto the known laws, another non sequitur.

That is what's called a strawman argument.

"Tricks" as they are called here like magnetism are not the so-called miracles claimed by believers as miracles. Strawman.

It's called rape or myth, take your choice.  smile

5. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Hi friend

I don't see any contradiction in Religion and Science. Revelation is a good source of human knowledge while Science is a continuous process; it is not a final word.

Thanks

1. secularist10 profile image60
      secularist10posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your definition of a miracle indicates that science is sufficient for explaining miracles, which means that revelation is not needed.

2. Beelzedad profile image60

Don't you think you actually have to know something about science before comparing it to your belief system? wink

1. profile image49

Hi friend beelzedad

Don't you think you actually have to know something about Religion before comparing it to your belief system?

The Revelation is from the Creator- God Allah YHWH who created the Universe and all whithin it; He knows much more than the Science as it is a continuous process and not yet final.

Thanks

1. Beelzedad profile image60

What belief system do I have?

Just like when you are not in a position to offer legal advice just because your brother is a lawyer, you cannot offer opinions on science just because you claim your god knows more about it than I do. smile

2. getitrite profile image71
          getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why does God Allah need you to speak for him?  You seem to know all about him.  Why doesn't God Allah just speak for Himself?  Or is God Allah just too timid to assert himself, and resorts to having you stand up for his omniscience?

I'm going to regard God Allah as only a figment of your imagination, because this rhetoric seems to be coming only from your pretending to be Allah's proxy...when in reality Allah is a nonentity.

1. profile image49

Hi friend getitrite

The Creator- God Allah YHWH has always spoken to the perfect men; which is called Word of Revelation. Quran is one before you.

Thanks

1. getitrite profile image71
              getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could you explain what that statement means?  I still don't understand why God needs you to speak for Him.  To me, it seems downright foolish to be omnipotent, and need the aid of another to do something as basic as communicating. 

I don't need you to tell me about God, I need God to tell me about Himself.  If he is omnipotent, that should be no problem.

1. profile image49

Hi friend getitrite

The Omnipotent Creator- God Allah YHWH, as I explained earlier cannot be seen with the physical eyes; those who insist on seeing him are wrong. Our senses won't bear seeing him; he is kind enough to show us in a merciful way he has chosen for us.

Moses' people asked Moses to show them YHWH in person; later they had to reverse their stand:

[7:144] And when Moses came at Our appointed time and his Lord spoke to him, he said, ‘My Lord, show Thyself to me that I may look at Thee.’ He replied, ‘Thou shalt not see Me, but look at the mountain; if it remains in its place, then shalt thou see Me.’ And when his Lord manifested Himself on the mountain, He broke it into pieces and Moses fell down unconscious. And when he recovered, he said, ‘Holy art Thou, I turn towards Thee, and I am the first to believe.’

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … ;verse=141

Thanks

2. profile image49

Hi friend getitrite

God Allah YHWH does not need us; it is we who need him. He has bestowed us life and everything we cherish in; it is his mercy; if he wants to bestow us more in the hereafter; that is his more mercy.

If we don’t achieve the purpose of life; which is nearness to him; then we fail, it is our own fault not of Him.
                Thanks

In the hereafter?
                  I am hereafter some common sense, unfortunately none here! lol

6. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

You may disagree, but I think its a miracle that people actually read all this b.s.!

7. dfager profile image60
    dfagerposted 14 years ago

The sun will rise tomorrow regardless of whether I believe it will or not.  God can exist with or without anyone believing as well.  People tend to believe that truth or reality is within their grasp of understanding.

Miracles are not only when something happens that's far outside the human concept of truth.  Miracles tend to bring other elements with them like wonder, astonishment; it's like Niagara Falls, awe inspiring, breath taking.  Miracles require a response from a human being that is outside of reason and often invokes strong feelings.  It's not that feelings have anything to do with knowledge and truth, but they remind us that we are more complex than just the intellect.  And the intellect has its limitations.  People tend to forget the complexity of their own being and one of our greatest attributes is our ability to love.

Flowers are a miracle in my perspective because there is no reason for them to exist with colors, shapes and fragrances that are pleasing to humans.  Their purpose is to attract insects and birds for pollination, like rotting carcasses can attract insects.

When we explore reality with our whole being and not just with the intellect, then we can believe in God.  I suppose one can believe in miracles without God. Soren Kierkegaard supported the concept that the only way to believe in God was existentially.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)