Longshot...Dentist on Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I am hoping we have a Dentist on hubpages. Had a crown come off and painful. There was not a root canal ever done on this tooth. Saw a dentists today and received pain medicine, but...not working!!! Tooth on bottom, Pain on upper gums.

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Rinse with warm salt water. Pain can transfer nerves are kinda interlinked in there. Are you set to go back and have work done on tooth?

Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I go back next week. There was infection, so have to let anti-biotics work first.
      I will try that.

3. profile image0

How strong are the antibiotics? We usually prescribed 500mg and if the pain meds are only 200 mg you can double the dose to get you through the night until the antibiotics kick in.

325 mg.  Sounds like I may need another one if it does not kick in soon. I hate taking pain medicine, but will as last resort.

4. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Orajel or anbesol?

I wish one of those 2 would work, but I don't think they would. lol  Maybe a strong shot of Whiskey? ...but probably not a good idea with pain meds.

1. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had surgery on my gums, from ice, orajel, and pain meds I was okay. I hope you feel better!

Thank you. Appreciate that.

5. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Rum my friend, lots and lots of rum big_smile

I wish I had some rum! lol, I do like to make rum drinks.

6. profile image0

You could do a shot it won't hurt but no more than one or double up the pain med you can actually take up to 800mg safely.

I feel for you Micheal. It's no fun trying to get to sleep with that going on inside your head. You might want to try and get in another dose of antibiotic too before you hit the hay for the night.

Thanks Lynn, I will do that. Chances of sleep tonight are probably not good. But, I will survive.

2. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey lynne.  Haven't talked to you in a while.  Hope you've been okay.

Really curious.  I didn't see any mention of what pain medicine he is taking, therefore how did you come to the recommendations on safe limits?

Michael, I believe fastfreta wrote a hub on tooth pain. I'm thinking the secret was a clove of garlic.

1. profile image0
        lynnechandlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Going off the advice my doctor that I worked for would prescribe when a patient called back in to the office saying the pain meds were not working. Most can be doubled up on up to 800mg so if Michael is taking a 325mg does my doc would have recommended to double it that first day.

Hopefully, Michael got some relief last night and the antibiotic is working now and the inflammation is starting to calm down.

Hope things are going well for you too RM.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
          rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still curious regarding what he is taking.  If it's an opoid, then there are not the same concerns for toxic levels as with NSAIDS. 

And the NSAIDS and acetominophen doses are different, and important not to exceed.  Though you can take the max for motrin AND Tylenol together, it is critical not to exceed recommended doses for either.  Possible kidney damage with NSAIDs and liver with Tylenol.  Even Naprosen and Motrin doses are very different. 

Lynne I had a frustrating week dealing with military medicine and appointments.  It would be easier to say what they did right, which unfortunately was not much.  hmm

Hey there Rmcrayne...it is hydro with Acetaminophen. I took the generic over the other prescribed because of the cost.

7. profile image0

YW, Michael! Once the antibiotic kicks in you'll feel better but with an infection it may take up to 24 hrs. Feel better soon!

I do have an impatient side...lol, but thanks! I want to pain to go, Right now!

8. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Michael -
    owie.
    Been there myself: whiskey is excellent for this, but don't drink it. Just put it on your gums. I used to soak a cotton ball in it and just let it sit for awhile over the sore tooth.

Until the infection is gone, the pain will linger on...

good luck

Hmmm, never heard of this one. May have to try that one.  Thanks!

9. KCC Big Country profile image82
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

There is a dentist on HubPages, I'll see if I can find him.  Seems like his name is RootDoctor.  He does root canals.  But, I've also heard that gargling with diluted peroxide helps a toothache and buys you some time.  It's worked for my daughter.

Edit:  I found him:  http://hubpages.com/profile/RootDoc

Hey there KCC. And Lynn also has been good help. I see on her profile she has experience in a dentist office. Just got to get through tonight I think. Ugh!

10. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

dont drink, may affect your antibiotics and leave the tooth infected!

I have just come out of surgery and I am on 1000mg paracetamol, 50mg tramadol and 50mg diclofenac big_smile

11. jayjay40 profile image67
    jayjay40posted 14 years ago

I know what you are going through, the same thing happened to me just after Christmas. Just keep taking the tablets, God bless

12. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i agree with some of the suggestions like warm salt water rinse to soothe inflamed tissue, extra strength orajel for topical anesthetic, and an ice pack outside, which helps more than you think.

feel better Mikey http://i45.tinypic.com/ny9z51.gif

13. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Thanks everyone. Finally dosed off about 7am this morning. Hope meds kick in soon so hurting will subside.
    And I will try the ice pack and mouth rinses. There is some swelling in the jaw this morning.

Oh, here is a pic of the swelling. I still have my sense of humor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43oRuFsES7E

14. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

Well I’m not a dentist but I’ve been through the dental pain. Wow!

My brother recently had work done and the pain would not go away. He went to the hospital and they gave him a shot of demerol. So if nothing else works you could try that.

15. profile image0

I love According to Jim and that is awesome video. Glad to see you still have your sense of humor though the pain hasn't subsided.

16. profile image0

True massive doses of those things can cause a lot of problems but we prescribed both for pain and never really had a prob telling someone to take a double dose the first night. Now that doesn't mean to keep taking it that way that is for sure.

Sorry to hear of your aggravations.

17. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

If it has codeine in it (Tylenol 3), make sure you drink 8 8oz glasses of water a day or you will, um, er,....get constipated (that was tough to say).  My son is on percoset now and he didn't believe the doc or nurse or mom and didn't drink his water...NOW he IS drinking his water.

Michael, I would call the dentist's office, if you haven't called them back already and get their recommendation.

I am drinking plenty of fluids. Since I didn't start meds till yesterday afternoon, I will call Dr back tomorrow morning if I don't see improvement.  Today there has been a mild fever, nothing serious though.

18. bellevuedentist profile image60
    bellevuedentistposted 14 years ago

Orajel might help provide some temporary relief.

Often times, a good packing of clove oil will provide natural relief.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)