Evolution Theory

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (47 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Why is evolution still theory and not fact?

1. Obscure Divine profile image61
      Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because, whether something is fact or theory, the ignoramuses still rifely run rampant amid society!

2. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because given the proper circumstances, nothing in this world is a fact.  There is always an "if and only if" corollary.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still beating that dead horse? smile

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still glaring at the horses rear? big_smile

4. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marine:
      Micro evolution has been empirically proved...
      Macro evolution involves "complex' life which takes thousands of years to realize.
      We've only been here for about 30 - 40 k years as modern man.
      We've been here too short a time to be able to prove "macro" evolution.
      Given time, if the historical bane of human progress: monotheism, doesn't end our short reign as earth's prime, semi-conscious predator, it will be proved.
      "Course the biblical god thing you worship may want you to perpetrate armageddon before we do.
      That's a strong, potential probability!

You religious atheist's are so amusing! You follow the same train of thought as your atheist idols in assuming things! Where did I ever write something that said I don't think it's fact?
        If you are logical rather than faithful, you should at least post my comments where I say it's not fact. I think you should stop relying on your atheist idols to think for you.

1. qwark profile image60

Marine:
          What ever gave you the idea I'm an atheist?
          I've said this before: I am not an atheist, an agnostic, deist or a believer in mythical supernatural entities.
          Read that slowly. Ok?
          I hope it got thru this time.....:-)

lol You don't have to say it, you follow the same thought patterns and make the same Darwinian Evolutionists religious faithful assumptions without evidence. Maybe if you wouldn't make so many incorrect assumptions, you wouldn't think as an atheist. I think you are lying to say you don't lean toward atheist rather than religion.

1. qwark profile image60

Marine:
              There is no such thing as atheism.
              I've explained that b4 too.
              I hope that one day you have an epiphany that guides you to "understanding and reality."
              I wish you the best and that time and study rewards you with "intellect."
              I cross my fingers for ya!    :-)

lol Why is there no atheism? Yes, maybe one day I will gain enlighentment of quarks to your level of consciousness to deny the reality of your trained responses.

1. qwark profile image60

Marine:
                  I've explained that so many times to so many.
                  When you experience that "epiphany" I just "hoped" for ya and you seem to be ready for a trip into "reality," I'd be glad to explain it again.
                  Until then, and I'll be able to tell when that has happened by your logical and well reasoned responses, I'll just pass on the explanation.
                  I'll keep following your responses and when I feel the time is right, by golly, I'll break it down for ya.
                  I'm patient....:-)

lol Explain this reality you think I am supposed to have? The same reality you have which is following group thinking?

2. Appletreedeals profile image67
        Appletreedealsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Geez ... I should be more productive with my time. But sometimes you just need a break. So ...

I think you have it backwards.
        Macro-evolution is much easier to illustrate and document -
        fish -> reptile -> mammal (lol maybe -  not totally validated), or more simple examples, fined fish to flying fish, drab male of species to colorful male of species, caveman to modern man, (yes there are definate biological evolutionary changes in a species)

Micro-evolution is where the "monkeywrench"
        (uh, pun appropriate)
        gets thrown in. it's in micro-evolution where the irreducible complexity theory of the flagella/flagellum (sp?)and complex cell structure stumps pure evolutionists. And you can really stump a pure evolutionist if you bring bacteria into the discussion. (no major evolutionary changes in millions of generations)

I think both camps have valid points, and trying to pick a side loses me several hours of sleep each night.

GA

5. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The scientific meaning of theory differs from its common usage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

6. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is neither theory or fact, but a conundrum for those who haven't read The Origin of Species. smile

It sure is, now tell us how you read it and still are incapable to comprehend that mind designs evolution rather than unconscious mechanisms or as your idol Dawkins loves to say, "nonrandom" natural selection. It is conscious selection.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
          Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My capacity for understanding evolution precludes the necessity to comprehend uniformed beliefs. smile

lol What is the uniformed belief?

7. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really? Do you really not understand science that much?

The most anything can ever be in science is a theory.

A brief list of theories that impact your life on a daily basis:

the theory of evolution
      the theory of atoms
      the theory of gravity
      the theory of special relativity
      the theory of thermodynamics
      the theory of electrons
      the theory of photons
      the theory of fusion
      the theory of the four forces of nature
      the theory of general relativity
      the theory of inertia
      the theory of mass
      the theory of momentum

... i could go on for days.

You can never prove anything in science. You can only FAIL to DISprove something repeatedly.

This is the beauty of science, and the reason your argument against Evolution makes no sense (you make a similar argument to the following in other forums): People who 'believe' in evolution only do so because they were taught it by others -- that doesn't make it true.

But you're ignoring something that's very important --- IMAGINE IF YOU WERE THE GUY (or gal) WHO PROVED DARWIN WRONG!!!!! You'd be an instant Science Legend. You're name would go down in the annals of history with Einstein, Newton, Fermi, and all the others. EVERY biologist would LOVE to prove Darwin wrong...

... but they can't. Not a single one has been able to prove him wrong.

That's how science works. That's why "it's ONLY a theory".

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, you'd be famous...if you survived the hazing by your vitriolic peers after you published your findings, that is.

Well, you'd still be famous.  You might just also be dead, though.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
          Evan G Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, if you managed to actually publish something that conclusively defeated all that evolution has predicted and described....

... and... no one ... killed you...?

... then you'd be famous?

Good job on that one...

1. profile image47
            marinealwaysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
              Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Darwins conscious observations designed his theory,"

I'd say that Darwin, consciously observing, and using his conscious observations, designed his theory.

"...no matter how you ...[try] to disprove evolution isn't designed by conscious selection of the environment, it gives more credit to it being designed"

Wait. Are you postulating that the environment is a conscious entity?

Do you dislike the Gaia principle?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
                  Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I neither like nor dislike it. I was just trying to make sure I understood what Marine was saying. (or not saying, I guess, since that post is now gone sad )

Yeah, that sucks.  I don't know what happened to his post or him, for that matter.  neutral  It sounds like a royal banning took place or a removal therein.  Hmm...  Well, at least you seem open-minded about things......

2. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

probably because people dont want to admit that their are things that we cant control or explain with science.

3. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

I agree obscure "ignorance is bliss" for some people

4. ilmdamaily profile image68
    ilmdamailyposted 14 years ago

Because as a theory it is still only about 200 years old.

The scope of history to which the theory applies is in the billions of years. We've only had less than 200 years or so to rigorously apply some sort of scientific observation or testing to it.

That said, its status as a "theory" rather than "fact" does not take away from it's supreme usefulness as a concept. As far as deterministic accounts of the origin of life on earth go, it's the best we've got.

5. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I don't think there is a universally accepted body that can turn such "theories" into "facts", is there?

1. profile image0

For it to be a fact, the majority of the world would have to agree it was one.

The acceleration of gravity on Earth = 9.81 m/s^2 -> this is a fact, because every scientist in existence agrees with it.

Good luck getting everyone to agree evolution is indisputable. There are apparently people in Kentucky that believe a wood ark could support the weight of dinosaurs as if it was climatically possible for man and dinosaur exist at the same time in the first place.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't believe in gravity...

how do you explain kites, eh?

HA!

you and your crazy theories!

1. profile image0

lol, I am an Aerospace Engineer - do you really want me to get into the aerodynamics of kites? tongue

2. Obscure Divine profile image61

Facts doesn't relate to the majority.  Hell, the majority is ignorant...  wink

1. profile image0

Ultimately, no.  However, it is absolutely impossible to know any ultimate truths, and as such the "truth" is what the majority believes.

History doesn't write itself, the victors do.

You are on your own, when it comes to your second sentence.  I claim no part in it; good luck with that one...  yikes

1. profile image0

lol, not too long ago the Quebec Provincial government released an official apology for knowingly printing, and as such teaching, lies in elementary and highschool history textbooks regarding the province's history.  They also unsuccessful tried to rig the referendum vote for Quebec to separate losing 49-51.

...No need to bring politics into the mix.  Geez!

6. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 14 years ago

To prove a theory, you must be able to recreate one in a 'laboratory' repeatedly. Until we see actual evolution take place in a massive scale, meaning an actual change of bodily form it will not be proven.

We see a single cell evolve into a human in 9 months. I think this is good evidence.

7. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I don't know how many ranchers would agree, but having grown up as a rancher's son, I always found the simple breeding process to be at least indicative of evolution as an ongoing process.  (Referring here to the proclivity of cattle breeders to produce critters that are admittedly still "cows" but producing meatier buttocks, etc.)

However, the strongest single incident on the ranch to make me darned near certain...was a throwback.  This was a colt born when I was about 15 years old.  He grew up to be the most hideous "horse" you've ever seen.  "Jugheaded" is a derogatory term, but this guy had one.  He looked nothing like either parent.  They weren't runts, but he towered over them.  Both front legs "came out of the same hole" (which is another derogatory horse term--there was NO gap between his upper front legs where they joined the body).

He looked more like a giraffe than a horse.  Plus, besides being plug ugly, he wasn't the brightest beastie on the block, either.

Figured there must have been a couple of genes in that mix somewhere that dated back to long lost fossildom....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)