REPARATIONS

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (98 posts)
  1. weconnect profile image60
    weconnectposted 11 years ago

SO MYSELF AND A FEW FRIENDS WERE DISCUSSING PRESIDENT OBAMA RE ELECTION.. ONE  OF MY FRIENDS SEEM TO BE UNDER THE DELUSION THAT OUR PRESIDENT WILL GIVE REPARTIONS TO AFRICAN AMERICANS THIS TERM... WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK??????

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why not, gives everything else away.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ridiculous.

What exactly is she being ridiculous about? She clearly stated that friends of hers were under the delusion! Have you ever seen any of the videos of Obama supporters? They are in most cases delusional.

1. psycheskinner profile image85
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most people consider delusions ridiculous.

You disagree?

Can you not understand the words written?

1. psycheskinner profile image85
              psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I did understand them.  You asked someone why they called behavior you characterize as delusional ridiculous. I think that question answers itself.

No I didn't She told the OP to not be ridiculous, the OP was not being ridiculous!

1. IzzyM profile image87
                  IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's not the way I read it.

Then tell me who she was talking to? She quoted the author of the OP, tell me.

No, I was saying the idea was ridiculous. She asked what did we think and I thought it was ridiculous.

No, You said "Don't be ridiculous"! You have since changed your response, good job!

2. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's a lot of plus ones tongue

3. IzzyM profile image87

You joined this site just to post this?

You had been a member of Hubpages for 1 whole minute before you started a new thread on the forums?

Knowing of the problems the religious/politics forums have on this site as it is, I can see you are either a troll or an agitator.

Pity, because there could have been interesting discussion on what you asked.

How many minutes does one have to be a member to meet with your approval? How many minutes does one have to be a member before they are not called names?

2. weconnect profile image60
        weconnectposted 11 years agoin reply to this

so you think i'm here to agitate others? I put it out there because some people may think the same as my poor Delusional friend... what's wrong with me sharing her belief/fantasy... &collecting your comments/opinions.

4. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! Lets start with some free phones.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

2. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think ALL CAPS are SHOUT-Y!!!

And that reparations are astoundingly unlikely.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I HAD TO COVER MY EARS! I'M CLEARLY DELUSIONAL.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

The only reparations this president will give is to the one percent for sure.

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Hadn't heard that one about A-A people getting reparations.
    Did see in a few places that the Latinos say Obama "owes them" now on immigration, however.

Time for us women voters to get in on the action, before all the favors are given out to the other voting blocs. Whaddya say, ladies? Time to claim our fair share??

5. thetechy profile image60
    thetechyposted 11 years ago

I am the delusional friend, but really I am not delusional, and yes I just joined not even a minute ago. Native Americans got their share of free education, reservations, and they continuously qualify for government grants. The Ancestors of African Americans have suffered the worst as slaves building The United States against their will. We deserve reparations for the suffrages of our ancestors. They say it's a cold world, I say it's a cold America. The face of America has changed; the knowledge of American's has also changed. The average citizen today is more informed of the different branches of government and how they work. This knowledge has enabled us to reelect a president who is trying so hard to level the playing field for all Americans. Guns manipulation and a lack of integrity gave the Europeans who invaded this land now called the United States power over Native Americans. These same tactics gave Europeans leverage that enabled them to steal and traffic human slaves from Africa, hold them captive in Barbados, and bring them to America and force them to build a nation for Europeans. Discounted as human and counted as cattle the ancestors of African Americans who in Africa had once worn gold in their hair as decoration, were highly educated, had created and come from the best Universities earned PHD's, were living not even equal to animals in America. African Americans have had it the worst in America. In 1965 the year of my sister's birth African Americans had to purchase food from the back door of a restaurant. They could not eat at the dinner counter with white Americans. An equal education was denied to African Americans. America was divided by segregation. As the American Government handed out federal money to “White Americans” to buy homes and establish a life for themselves, African Americans worked in those homes as servant’s to make ends meet for their families. Today the American Republican Party repeatedly says the working class wants "things" American's African American's in particular want a level playing field. As I reflect back on the swearing in of Barack Obama, how John Boehner purposely quoted the wrong words for President Barack Obama to be sworn in as president, I am reminded of the lack of integrity of slave captures. When I think of the voter discouragement tactics put in place on Election Day I think of the time before the fifteenth amendment when it had been established that a person can only vote if their grandfather voted. This prevented African Americans from voting, we had been enslaved and did not vote neither did any of our ancestors. The playing field has been unleveled for so long and although the ancestry of Europeans has given them a great head start here in America they do not want to give any leverage to the average American by paying their fair share of taxes. Whether this is an inherited position of power or wealth, the unbalance in America is unjust and we must move forward admitting our truths and changing how America is governed.

Good luck!

1. thetechy profile image60
        thetechyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No luck needed it has already been settled within the consitution, all that was needed was for a president to care enough about it to execute the plan.

Where is reparations for slaves in the constitution?

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're right.  Any African Americans that were drug over here in chains, whipped and made into slaves should absolutely get some compensation.  Or maybe even their children, if they were allowed to reproduce.

Where can we find them?

The process will work the same way it does for Native American's. I see you are not educated on that process.

Nor should he be, its a terrible idea!

I'm sorry, and mean no offense, but this whole idea is ridiculous in the extreme and I find it no more than another ploy to get something for nothing.

You are suggesting that anyone with an African heritage be paid compensation for something someone long ago did to someone else.  Irregardless of damage to current individuals, irregardless of when their ancestors came to the country anyone with a higher level of melanin in their skin is somehow "deserving" of money.

Well, my ancestors came from Africa, too - the entire human race did.  Can I get a bunch of free money as well?

I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in a small town.  Schools were only poor to fair and in no way the quality offered in larger cities.  I didn't sit in the back of the bus - there were no buses so I walked.  The two black kids in my school were richer than I was, as evidenced (through a child's eyes) by the fact that they had more toys.

I watched in college as native Americans were given a free ride through school, but I worked my way through college - before, during and after semesters.  There were no special grants for my race so that was the only way to get higher education.  Only women and non-white races had race specific grants - whites were denied those grants because, I guess, it was somehow "fair".

Later in life I watched for 40 years as blacks, women and other minorities were hired ahead of me and/or promoted over me, all in the name of "fairness" to those minorities.  Supposedly to make up for what an unknown caucasian did to an unknown minority 200 years ago.

I think it's past time I was given some reparation for what I have gone through and what I've suffered as misguided politicians intentionally and repeatedly took my opportunities away to give to minorities.  All because someone I never knew did bad things to someone no one now alive ever knew either.

1. recommend1 profile image60
            recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also mean no offense when I point out that all you have described is your failures in life.

Grants and preferences were (and are I guess) made to various peoples disadvantaged by birth as a clumsy way of redressing the imbalance to some degree.  It was a clumsy system because, as you rightly point out, there are many disadvantaged groups.  It was better than nothing is about all that can be said for it, and something had to be done.

Derp! Troll

Failure?  Not by my way of thinking - I took what opportunities I had and made something of them.  I've been to school twice, both paid for 100% by me and not by some stranger or tax funded grant.  I've had two careers, both times working myself up from near the bottom to near the top of the location.  I'm not rich, and never will be, but I'm satisfied.

I actually don't disagree with affirmative action, but it is past time to end it.  Discrimination has decreased to the point that most (over half) of what is now seen is directly attributable to affirmative action programs required by law, not to any actual employer choices.

This country has, by dint of long and hard effort on the part of many people, come about as close to ending racial inequality as it is possible to do in a diverse society. 

Is it perfect?  Certainly not, but requiring one race to foot the bill, money or otherwise, is no longer the answer.  The legal discrimination of such action is now worse than the problem it attempts to correct, and reparation by one race to another for actions from centuries past is the same.  Not only unnecessary, but harmful to the country as a whole as it continues to perpetuate racial inequality.

I can agree with this - Ihave had moderately similar situation in my own life.   However, all those efforts to level opportunity etc clearly have not worked.  I also do not think that the same kind of affirmative actions would be useful,  but I do think something should still be done as the situation that prevails is still directly caused by the basic injustice of slavery.

1. wilderness profile image96

The problem I see is that a big effect of affirmative action programs was to produce an awful lot of people that now depend on them to make it.  They have been taught, and taught well, that they are entitled to superior opportunities that others are not and they want those entitlements continued and expanded on.

Those people are the ones now complaining that the playing field is not level, but only because their definition of level is highly biased in their favor.  The large majority of jobs and opportunities are as open to one race as another, and what isn't is not particularly biased towards any one race.  That is, there are about as many racially motivated jobs requiring black, hispanic or any other race as there are those requiring white applicants.  All highly illegal, of course, but it does happen.

There is little injustice left that results from the slavery or other discrimination of the past.  We will never stamp it all out, the human race is too perverse for that, but we have made major strides and only time will heal what is left.  Providing ever more entitlements based on race is not the solution to eradicating what little is left and can only further polarize the haters and bigots that still exist on both sides.

3. IzzyM profile image87

Very eloquently put!

Welcome to Hubpages smile

I do believe you are a new hubber and not an alter ego of someone else.

As someone with no say whatsoever in American politics, for what it is worth I do believe the descendants of black slaves should indeed be 'reparated' or whatever word should be used.

Your ancestors suffered terribly at the hands of white Americans, and indeed the coloured divide continued right through until at least the 1960s. I've read 'The Help'.

I don't mean to come across as shallow by referring to a modern book.

Britain still pays millions of pounds annually to India, presumably for something our ancestors did to their ancestors, even though India has its own space project.

It is only right and proper than modern governments pay for errors of judgement in the past.

Can America afford it? - This might be the question a lot of people are asking.

Look on it as wages not paid to slaves for all those years.

6. ARO1220 profile image61
    ARO1220posted 11 years ago

You should check out Barbershop 2... Cedric the Entertainer has an interesting bit about reparations.

7. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

Troll

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

...who is a troll...you're a troll!  hey R1!...causing truble?

Hi SOH  !!  that's my job big_smile

As it happens I have changaed my mind - I have seen so many right wing kites flown here to smear the current US administration that I jumped too soon.

I was thinking of getting in again as the OP and friend seem to be genuine and have an interesting slant on the disgraceful condition of black people in the US generally - opposed by a bigoted racist who is trying to troll the thread to death.

But I am a bit busy this morning (morning here anyway)

Hope life is treating you kind smile

Bigoted racist, new schtick please!

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I don't think there's going to be any kind of race-based monetary reparation coming for African-Americans.
    But, I do believe this president is committed to leveling the playing field on education and jobs, which are the bests foundation for success in life.

The fields are level, just not being taken advantaged of, except by Asians.

This is coming from someone who is clearly delusional.

No - it is coming from a racist.   You are making perfectly valid points with valid reasoning, you stay on it girl !!!

Cry me a river, racism has nothing to do with it! The fields are level now go get what you want. Or you can sit back and never achieve anything. Asians seem to be doing well, Hispanics are making progress and lots of Blacks are getting it done. Reparations are not coming nor should they be.

2. Repairguy47 profile image60

How much more can be given except money? There are no slaves left, no children of slaves left. Who is going to get the money?

1. IzzyM profile image87

How about giving it to the descendants of those wronged?

Do you not think that blacks would have a different history, a different outlook on life, and different (better) prospects if they hadn't been treated so badly in the past?

It is never too late to start repairing the damage done.

Now is as good a time as any, especially when the US has a black president, who has just been voted into office for the second time!

I don't know how they would have fared, there have been no slaves in this country since 1865, we have a Black President. Seems like things are going ok. A little slower than many other races but progressing. I shouldn't have to pay for what at the time was a legal activity, the men responsible are long dead.

1. IzzyM profile image87

So, no slavery in the US since 1865.

Why then did blacks have to travel on different buses to whites, or use different shops, to whites in the 1960s? 100 years later.

Were black children allowed to be educated alongside white children?

Did blacks have the vote?

Is America a free country today?

Shameful history.

If I were a white person in the USA today, I would be bending over backwards to appease  the blacks. It would be the least I could do in view of just what happened in the recent past.

If that means paying reparations, then so be it. Puts the level playing field back in focus.

Thats right, no slave since 1865!

Slavery was made illegal everywhere in the U.S. by the Thirteenth Amendment, which took effect in December 1865.

Still wasn't responsible for any of it and I nor anyone should have to pay!

I'm sorry I didn't read that about appeasing Blacks, are you serious? Bend over backwards to appease Blacks? What do you think that will do? Somehow gonna make up for something THAT DID NOT EFFECT THEM?

1. IzzyM profile image87

So living in a country where their mother or grandmother was not permitted an education, had to get off a bus and wait for the next one if a white person boarded, could not use public libraries, could not vote, did not affect them?

I don't know what school of psychology you went to!

What happened before affected not only a whole generation, but the children and the children's children of that generation.

And yes, appeasement, preferably in the form of monetary considerations, is due.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

You sound really, really agitated RG. Are you ok?

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, that is not quite true.
        The field needs a lot more leveling to overcome cultural bias and oppression.

9. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Regardless of whether the government should do it, they aren't going to.

And they shouldn't!

2. thetechy profile image60

It has already been done because it should have been. Hundreds of years ago it was done.

What do you mean it was done?

10. Repairguy47 profile image60
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

I said
    No, You said "Don't be ridiculous"! You have since changed your response, good job!

UW Said
    I know I did. I wanted people to understand what I said without confusion. I meant that the idea was ridiculous not that the OP was ridiculous.

Why do you even try?

11. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

@Repairguy, have you never edited your posts after reading them for the sake of clarity? I know this might be a new one on you, but some people want to be sure that they come across in the right way, and that their remarks are not misconstrued. That is not a sin, but the behavior of a thoughtful person.

roll Again, why do you try? You were wrong just live with it!

I had mentioned that irrespective of the later posts, that was what was written. But we're all wrong at times, I wont beat myself up over it. I mean, it's not like I'd said Romney would win big! lol

And I'll have to live with that! The difference is I wont obsess over it.

Of course you wont.

Are you still obsessing?

No, just agreeing with you.

So, you are calling me a liar?

12. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/338/popcornz.gif

13. Repairguy47 profile image60
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

I'm done.

14. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 11 years ago

Wait I think he was going to pay for our gas first.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb … re=related

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Confused+Wolf_530b18_3921270.gif

15. RichusFridum profile image60
    RichusFridumposted 11 years ago

like you said... your friend is delusional

16. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

"Native Americans got their share of free education, reservations, and they continuously qualify for government grants. Actually, that was what they got for signing away their land and signing treaties that were mostly ignored.

Why don't you ask them what they think of all that free stuff? They are doing much better operating casinos. Anything our government touches turns to crap!

okay...now i agree with you RG - about 'anything our gov't touches turns to crap'...it is true gov't has done a bad job re first nation people..basically what does gov't know about cultural needs......i'm speaking about canadian treaties and the treatment of first nation folks here.....and it continues..........................................btw i think the queen of england needs to pay canada back too, big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha....i'm tired of sippin' on tea in the afternoon! j/k

i'm a canuck

2. starapostle profile image59
      starapostleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When you dance with the devil you get burnt. Black Slaves, Red Masters, you can find it on youtube.

17. simpelandcheap profile image62
    simpelandcheapposted 11 years ago

Lol,

No I doubt I will reparations from any president considering I have not been oppressed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)