RETIRED: Suggest Links Tool

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Top of the morning to you, gorgeous Hubbers!

It is my pleasure this morning to announce the soon-to-come retirement of the Suggest Links Tool (that tool that you can activate at the top of your published Hubs, which enables you to link highlighted words to related Hubs).

Why are we retiring the feature?
    1. We would like to further simplify the Hubbing experience so Hubbers focus on the most important things (strong titles, in-depth content, great media, polished words) and not distracting details
    2. Only a few hundred people per day use this feature (which is quite small in HubPages feature terms)
    3. The tool is often used in excess, creating a less than optimal reading experience for visitors (and hurting the Hubbers who over-use the tool)
    4. Most importantly, there are a number of technical problems with the tool that make its performance less than optimal (you deserve the best, guys wink)

For these reasons (and more), Suggest Links will be gone by the end of the week. It's been a great run, but we're happy to be moving on to better and brighter days.

Excelsior!

1. JimTxMiller profile image78
      JimTxMillerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay. Reckon I won't miss something I never used anyway.

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perfect! smile

2. AMFredenburg profile image71
      AMFredenburgposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I could never get the thing to work anyway!

3. Howard S. profile image89
      Howard S.posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please take care not to oversimplify. I agree with removing this feature (Suggest Links Tool). I did not agree with "simplifying" the slideshows. Wordsmiths need the option to "just say NO" to multimedia tomfoolery (the same as photographers and poets need freedom to say more with fewer words).

Fair point, Howard S.

Rest assured that we don't remove features lightly.

4. vocalcoach profile image94
      vocalcoachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's fine by me. I used it for the first 2 years. Last year I rarely did. Good idea!

2. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone, I never used it either. It didn't work on my iPad. So one less thing for a relative newbie to worry about!

Great! That's our thinking. Simple is best in so many cases!

1. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Suits me fine.  I want to keep my reader on MY article, not detract them by going elsewhere.

True that! Good point. wink

3. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone.
    I'm one happy hubber as I was always getting little messages telling me I had a broken link. Stopped using it in the end and cancelled all the suggested links in any hubs that I had to edit.
    What happens to the suggested links that are in the hubs, do they just revert back to a normal word and are not highlighted as is at the moment.

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I won't miss those "little message" about broken llinks.  Good question...I was wondering the same thing.  Should we go in the Hubs and edit those links out??

Only if you think they reduce readers' experiences. A reasonable number of links to resources with more information can be quite helpful.

4. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
    Kathryn Stratfordposted 11 years ago

I have used it before, but simplification can be good. If only hundreds out of a huge group of people are using it, it's not going to be missed much. And it is easy to add a regular link to an article if it is something that will supplement the subject in a positive way.
    I like that HubPages tries to stay on top of improving and simplifying the community. Thanks for informing is, Simone!

Thanks Kathryn! We're doing out best. big_smile

5. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

Question...can we still manually highlight words and have internal links that way?  If we put regular links in...say to Wikipedia as an example, for those wanting more information about a subject...and it is a regular link instead of a highlighted one...it sends the reader away from our page.  The internal link keeps the reader on our page.

Assuming that is correct, is there a number of links that should not be exceeded?  Any optimum ratio to number of words in the hub as an example?

I would surely hope that we can still link our similar hubs together.  I have slowly been changing the old links of similar subjects to internal links.  Hoping all of that work is not going to disappear.

1. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
      HubPagesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely- the linking feature within the Text Capsule is not being removed.

There is no particular number of links that we consider to be "too many". The optimal number of links in a Hub really varies depending on its subject matter.

None of the links you've inserted into your Hubs are going to disappear because of this change.

Hope that clears things up!

1. Peggy W profile image95
        Peggy Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the clarification.  smile

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
        Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for letting us know;-)

6. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

I trust that this will not affect the Insert/Edit Link (chain symbol) in the Text box - that would be a very bad move!!!
    Also does this mean that the "Links Capsule" is also an endangered species? I trust NOT.

Some stability in the choppy seas, with less frequent changes would be nice - The SUBmariners are getting Sea Sick!!!

1. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
      HubPagesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, this feature will not be affected. Not to worry!

And we have no plans for getting rid of the Links Capsule.

7. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

Thanks for the update, Simone.  I used it when I was new here on Hubpages because I didn't know any better.  I had not used it in ages.  I had actually forgotten that feature was there. 

Adios to the 'Suggest Links Tool.'  RIP  smile

8. wjack2010 profile image60
    wjack2010posted 11 years ago

As usual, the moment you can't fix something, you retire it. Seriously, get up, look at the system, and fix it. Removing things is OK, but limit yourself, like a diet. If you remove something, there always has to be a replacement.

Those few hundred Hubbers who DID use it, will miss it.

Doesn't the community ever get a say?

I could write a strongly worded few paragraphs right now, but it's late, so I'll resist.

9. That Grrl profile image71
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

It's a pretty useless feature when HubPages encourages writers to delete their Hub posts unless they are featured. I have all but stopped linking to any Hub posts (other than my own) because they can't be relied upon to show up. Fixing link rot from HP is not how I want to spend my time.

10. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

Hi Simone....So do we need to go into all of our hubs that we have used in on and remove the highlight? I did not use it so much but was encouraged by some to use it so I did.

1. pstraubie48 profile image81
      pstraubie48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

"it" on...

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Nope! You can leave your Hubs as is. big_smile

11. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Glad it is going, and glad there is no need to manually remove previously added links that were generated as a result of using this tool. It was never a good idea to use it anyway as it (generally) suggested hubbers link to other hubber's hubs (therefore taking traffic away from their own hubs along with potential income). It also left loads of broken links to be fixed by the hubbers when the mass exodus of disgruntled hubbers happened and each began deleting or removing their hubs from this site. Lastly the hub link suggestions it made were frequently really bad and not at all accurate to the anchor text that was highlighted in the 'suggest links' tool.

12. Astra Nomik profile image64
    Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

I love the amazing features in the capsules in Hub Pages for creating Hubs. For any writer or poet in my case, the array of media and linking methods we have - including what will remain available - is just right. I admit I never used that feature that is being removed, so I also won't miss it.

It will enable writers to focus on making their writing better and more readable, and less stuffed with unnecessary links just for SEO purposes. The focus is quality, and I am happy with this.

13. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I'm a little disappointed as I though it might bring more views, but I'll be okay!  :-)

Glad to hear it! big_smile

14. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Fine by me, I stopped using the "suggest links" function quite some time ago. I was getting tired of getting numerous "broken links" warnings in my Hubs every time I logged into HP so eventually I deleted most of them anyway.

15. watergeek profile image95
    watergeekposted 11 years ago

I've been using it off and on. Made it easy to find hubs of my own that I'd forgotten were related. It also introduced me to the work of other hubbers I'd never met before. Started following some of them. I haven't had any notices of links broken, at least not with my watergeek moniker. (Haven't checked my other one.) But I agree that if only a relative few of us are using it, and there are still ways to link, than it's probably a good thing to let it go.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)