Massive spam in my comments last few days

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 10 years ago

I started getting a few spammy comments a few days ago. I posted a thread and someone suggested changing my comment settings to allowing only signed in users being allowed to comment and approval before they were published. So I changed my settings. Today the spam was even worse, took me a half hour just to delete all of them. I turned my comments off but don't want to leave it this way because I want people to be able to leave comments. What to do now?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. This is the first time this has happened to me in 5 years.

And oh yeah, the comments are mostly posted by "anonymous" and they are not showing up as spam when I first view them. Usually HP identifies the spam first. That is not happening now.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So there is a person with an actual account called anonymous? Maybe email HP and they can help.

2. profile image0
      delleaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are they targeting specific hubs or are they blasting all of the hubs that you've written? If they are after specific hubs it may help to indicate why they are doing it in the first place, whom may be offended, etc.

3. profile image0
      delleaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Forgot to note (as the others have) that allowing only signed in users to contact me AND having comment approval on, has helped to reduce spam to nearly zero, plus it lets me know when comment spam occurs so I can instantly delete it.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have both those turned on and am STILL getting half a dozen or more daily.

The "signed in users only" appears not to be working as these include anonymous comments.

4. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you got so many SPAM messages.
      We do try to prevent spam comments that appear automated or come from the same IP, but it can be difficult to systematically identity all SPAM comments as they are posted.
      I looked at the comments and they are from a bunch of different IPs.
      Continue to delete them and that will help the system determine what is SPAM and help prevent the same IPs from posting going forward.

2. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

I have my comments set to where I must approve them all.  When people don't see their spam they get tired of it and go away.  It is not worth the effort for them to just spam me because I delete it and no one ever sees it.  Maybe try that for a few days?  It allows people to comment but gives you final control.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

LCD Writer said it all.  I set my comments so I have to approve first on every site I write on if possible, and even do it on my own blogs.  On sites where I can't set comments up for my approval first, they do have a delete option so I can delete all unwanted, spam comments.

4. Anti-Valentine profile image76
    Anti-Valentineposted 10 years ago

^ Ironic. A forum thread about spam, and here's a spammy post in it!

Edit: it's gone now.

5. Winterfate profile image95
    Winterfateposted 10 years ago

Yep, getting spammed as well. Those IPs are all over the place. Could it be someone infecting computers with viruses to create a spam bot network?

6. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

At one time I was getting quite a bit of spam.  I consistently deleted them and it stopped.  Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this annoyance.

7. meghanathreddyb profile image41
    meghanathreddybposted 10 years ago

Earlier, I was also facing the same problem like you. But now I'm free from that spam war. Try using Anti-spam plug-ins. It's working well with me.

8. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 10 years ago

I turned my comments off for a couple days then turned it back on last night. Inbox full again - all from anonymous.

9. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

Mark them as spam for hubpages before you delete them.  That way they will start marking the sources.  I have very little spam since I have to approve all comments.  They post, see that it doesn't show up and go away.

They don't seem to go away for me.. at least not yet..

1. LCDWriter profile image90
        LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It really is an annoying problem!  Sorry you're dealing with it.

10. Winterfate profile image95

Got nearly a dozen spam posts in the last 12 hours. O_o

11. justmesuzanne profile image85
    justmesuzanneposted 10 years ago

Yes, I'm getting exactly the same thing. This "anonymous" is running through all my hubs posting completely unrelated nonsense. It is happening so rapidly that it cannot be an individual doing it. It's some kind of bot.

I, too, have my set my comments settings to allow only signed in users to post, and all comments have to be approved, so they are not appearing for anyone but me to see. I cannot imagine what the motivation for this is other than just to show that someone can bypass the content settings.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What this says to me is - change your settings to allow non-signed in people to comment.

By allowing only signed-in users, you're preventing the vast majority of your readers from commenting, which is a good way to alienate readers who might otherwise become fans of your writing!   As you've seen, it doesn't stop the spam, so why bother?

Setting your comments so you have to approve them is a good strategy though.

12. Winterfate profile image95

Got nine more spam posts. I don't know whether to be honored that the spammer is going through my hubs that have no traffic or irritated that it's forcing me to spend so much time cleaning out its tripe. hmm

1. justmesuzanne profile image85
      justmesuzanneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They have gone through mine a couple of times from my first Hub in 2008 to the one I posted yesterday. While I am deleting their comments, they are continually posting more. I deleted all of them before I went to bed last night and got  up to find 25+ new ones. No one but me can see them, and I delete them and report them as soon as I see them, so I don't know what their motivation could be.

1. Winterfate profile image95
        Winterfateposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, I set the moderation on my comments so that I had to approve comments beforehand, but it's still annoying. I don't know what their motivation could be either. hmm

2. Pcunix profile image90

Spammers aren't bright.  Also, this stuff can be automated, so nobody necessarily knows it isn't sticking.

I get the same junk at my other site.  They never get published, but they never stop trying until I see them often enough to block their ip.

I'm sure it is automated. It's happening too fast to be manual...

13. prokidwriter profile image94
    prokidwriterposted 10 years ago

I think I've gotten 40 spam comments in the last 24 hours. Looks like HP is getting attacked.

Mine have died down some. Now I'm just getting half a dozen or so a day...

14. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Check off  Only signed on users can comment as well.

Yeah.  At first I thought that wasn't working because I kept getting spammed after I turned that on. 

But it did "take" later and I've had no more spam (at the cost of no comments from real users who don't want to create accounts).

I'll uncheck that after this attack dies down..

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, look what the cat drug in... Missed ya. big_smile

That darn cat :-)

15. LindaSmith1 profile image61

The one good thing about setting so we have to approve comments is that nobody sees them til we approve them, if we choose to do so.

I have always had "only signed on users can comment" checked, and after this started, I reset it. It doesn't make any difference. "Anonymous" just keeps on posting, but since all comments have to be approved, no one but me ever sees the nonsense.

16. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

Now I don't feel targeted-- http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115082#post2446667

At least we are getting some traffic - ha big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)