FIXED: scripted anonymous comments showing up despite settings

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

Normally, I approve 99% of all comments left on my hubs.  But twice today, and once yesterday, there were comments left, all by "anonymous," that I simply denied because they were just way out of line.

Not demeaning, offensive, hateful, or anything like that...just WAY off topic.

In the first case, it was a compliment for "all your great photos,"...and showing so-and-so's personality ...etc...and the comment was addressed to a couple of people (or one person with 2 names) by name... but had nothing to do with me or the hub on which it was posted--which was a very short poem with no photos, and not about any person at all.  ... Just a random weird comment...

In the second case, the comment was a rather lengthy rant about what should be done about rogue cops that go around shooting first and asking questions later.  In point of fact, I agreed with the commenter's position, but it had no business on the hub in question.  It bore not even the most remote relation to the topic of the hub.

I denied both. 

A third comment by "anonymous" on another hub, I did approve, because it was a valid, on-topic statement.

I wonder what is going on, here?  Why would someone just post random comments on an unrelated hub, or even more stupidly, address a personal comment to someone else on an unrelated hub?

Is there a glitch in HP, making the comment flow to some other person's hub?  Or have I simply been besieged by crazy people in the last 2 days???

....and in just the last few moments since posting this...along came another "anonymous" comment...this one was in poor taste and not at all funny...also deleted....I don't object to traffic--but I don't need this kind.

Has anyone else been the victim of such nonsense?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this
        DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hmm...thanks, wilderness.

I do have my comments set to 'must be approved' before being published...but it is still annoying...

I'd say at least 2 were spam..but when I hit 'deny'  it just asked if I wanted to "delete forever" ...there was no way to mark it as spam.... neutral   (Need a 'shrugging shoulders' emoticon....)

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes! I went trough this about a month ago.-- exactly the type of thing you describe.  I probably got about 50 of them on various hubs.
      Like you, at first I was puzzled by the "anonymous" comments, but someone convinced me that it was spam and could contain invisible links. The best thing to do is to  delete them quickly with no reply.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Invisible links? Lol

But yes. Delete delete delete.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90

You've never heard of the missing link? smile

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

They definitely sound like spam. Delete them.

4. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try posting to the technical issues forum next time as this forum as not every thread in this forum topic is reviewed by staff.

This appears to be a bug and our engineering team is working on resolving the issue.
      Thanks for your patience.

5. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We deployed a change and fix to avoid this occurring in the future.
      Thanks for the report.

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image61
    AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years ago

Is that a thing?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90

Yes... but is is missing, so very hard to find. smile

3. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

I've had my share of these very same kinds of comments.  I 'delete them forever.'  I rarely see them anymore but there was a time when I was deleting again and again.  I'm sorry to hear you're getting them. Hope it clears up and never comes back!

4. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 10 years ago

Yes...we cannot spam them but we can delete forever.  Hopefully this will stop soon.

Found the spam button--it shows up only after you click on "deny."  Then, you can click either 'spam' or 'delete forever,' but apparently not both.

The spammy comments are continuing--I deleted 15 of them when I first turned on my computer this morning, and 3 more just now.  mad

5. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

I have had tons of these this week. The funny thing was that the second I put my comments to 'approve before showing' they all stopped! funny how they knew....spooky! lol!

That's weird, because I do have my comments set to "approve before showing," and they are coming through anyway....
      And what's more, I have them set to "only signed-in users may post comments."  ... so how are all these "anonymous--guest user" comments even being shown to me...regardless of whether or not the public ever sees them???  Seems they should be getting blocked from posting in the first place..

Just added this hours later:  came back and found SEVENTEEN MORE of these annoying spam "comments"  HOW are they getting through???  I think it's time to contact HP about the failure of their global settings utility!

6. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 10 years ago

That´s the best thing to do. Delete!!!

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

Bumping the thread---

I've contacted HP, and they agreed there is something fishy here, given that the comments are getting through despite my global settings that should disallow them from even posting, let alone have them show up.  They are forwarding the problem to engineering.

Meanwhile, I must ask, does all this negative attention cause "bad vibes" with "The Big G" ???

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Did you click 'delete forever' and they are still coming through?

I did...and the team said to leave the rest up while they investigate...

Okay, just checking.

Yeah--there were 30 more today, after I reported it...so I've left them all for the team to sort out....

Which still leaves me wondering...does a sh**load of spam attention cause us harm with Google???  I don't know if any of these are visible to others, since they are already coming through contrary to my settings...

Do not take my word, but I would think so since all of your regular comments are visible to others. If you want others to check just say which Hub (or Hubs) the comments are on and we will let you know.
              If a second one of the same shows up, ignore it, I goofed.

This is just one of the many hubs that have had such "comments" placed...and this is a short comment..some of them are damned near whole articles themselves..  Grr..

http:// dzymslizzy.hubpages.com /hub/Where-Does-the-Water-Taste-Better

(Remove extra spaces when copying/pasting...I added them to keep it from being a link, which would probably get 'snipped.')

I only saw four comments from HP members.

8. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 10 years ago

I have had a few hundred of these comments over the past few days and I just delete them, I dont worry about them though simply because it is giving my visitor count and my earnings a much needed boost.....jimmy

9. Lastheart profile image66
    Lastheartposted 10 years ago

Same happened to me with two comments.

10. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years ago

I deleted about 50 today alone, and loads over the last few days. Like Jimmy I didn't worry too much as I hoped they would count as extra traffic. I have my comments set to not show on the hubs until approved, and this is still working just fine (although obviously they look visible when I go to approve or disapprove them which makes me wonder if people who say the spam comments are showing up anyway might not be logging out before checking to see if they are visible).  What is odd is that most of them contain no links, and actually look like they were genuine comments from 'somewhere' that were just lifted and copied on to hub comment sections. Some comments do bear a slight connection to the hub in question, others none at all. Generally I don't see what the spammer has to gain from this as there is no income to be made from these 'comments' hmm

Just goes to prove--spammers are not the brightest bulbs on the tree....

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)