What to expect after a HUB has been picked up as Editor's Choice?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Goodpal profile image75
    Goodpalposted 10 years ago

Can someone please tell me what happens after a hub is picked up as Editor's Choice? Something unusual happens after Editor's Choice? I mean in terms of its traffic, revenue generation, etc. In other words, how these privileged hubs compares with other less fortunate ones, in terms of real performance.

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anything unusual happens after the initial Glow you get from feeling of recognition for a job well done!  In terms of traffic - with nine Editors Choice Hubs currently I see a marginal increase in traffic and earnings have definitely increased month after month but this may be because I have added more Hubs. Overall Hub score has definitely increased but this is not matched by  Profile Score.  In fact every time I publish a new Hub it goes down instantly.  In terms of performance, I think we might have to wait a bit longer to see the results.

2. sweetybd profile image60
      sweetybdposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This means your performance in writing is so nice

Goodpalposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it has more to do with the topic you choose. There are plenty of brilliant writers here who express so beautifully to inspire anyone. If writing were the criterion, their all hubs would automatically be EC.

2. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 10 years ago

EC hubs get taken out of your subdomain and published under HubPages main URL.

After that whatever happens is a wildcard.

1. sweetybd profile image60
      sweetybdposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Right

2. Goodpal profile image75

I noted that too. Probably the only benefit (?) is shifting the EC articles under the Hubpages URL

3. AliceFournier profile image60
    AliceFournierposted 10 years ago

I personally didn't see much change, but I've just started, maybe it's just because I don't have many hubs. More traffic comes with more well-written hubs! But being editor's choice might motivate one to write more and more.

I fully share your thinking!

4. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 10 years ago

I got real buzz when some of my hubs were chosen for EC. It's too early to say whether it's affected earnings. The viewings on the chosen hubs are among my highest, but they were before they were made EC. As Rae says, what will be will be.

I think some people might like to pay more attention to EC hubs, but the EC hubs are not marked so except for the URL shift.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And not all those with the shift are EC hubs.  I have quite a few that are not in my subdomain but do not carry the EC flag either.

So there are other reasons for the shift of hubs to hubpages URL other than EC?

5. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 10 years ago

First of all, congratulations.

But now, you may want to keep a closer eye out for plagiarism. I had an EC hub stolen and Google is not helping. They used to remove non EC stolen hubs in 24 hours.

Since the URL is changed from our subdomain to hubpages.com, I have a feeling Google sees it as a new hub that came AFTER the copied version. I hope I'm wrong.

For more on this, see the forum thread at http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118348

Thanks Glenn. Yes, copycats lurk around in many camouflage and showcase their brilliance. I think we can't expect too much from google software; only humans can do a better job with "photocopies!"

6. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I tend to agree it's kind of a mystery with EC hubs. I've had a few that have received better traffic than they ever did, but others don't have any difference at all.  I hope that in time, EC hubs will increase traffic by getting HP maybe more into Google's good graces again. Time will tell I suppose.

I suspect EC hubs are basically chosen for the topics that promote something good.

7. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 10 years ago

I have noticed an uptick in my traffic. After the Panda/Penguin debacle I lost 90% of my traffic (from 5,000 views a day to 500) Since I have been getting some hubs chosen as EC's I am between 900-1,000 views a day so things look promising. Time will tell....

I am not sure if anyone can write for long depending only on the grace of google. Ultimately the topic, content and quality of writing will stand on their own - google or no google.

BTW, what happened to all other search engines? Is it health for one entity to have monopoly?

8. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

I'm interested in this, too, as I have so far opted out of EC.  I'm wary of opting in.  My traffic is doing nicely, and I'm not sure I want to mess with it.

I don't think you have to opt for EC. It happens automatically!! And there is nothing to be afraid of.

1. agilitymach profile image92
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, you can opt out.  (I may be misunderstanding your comment, though.)  Yes, it happens automatically IF you haven't opted out.

As for being afraid, for me, yes there could be a concern.  I'm a niche writer, and Google has apparently recognized my "expertise" in my field.  I am now listed in the first page on most searches on topics in my field.  If my hubs are removed from my URL - ie "my" website - and put under HubPages general website, my "niche" may diminish.  I don't want this to happen, as my Google numbers went up 300 percent after the latest Panda/Penguin/Hummingbird or whatever it was. smile  I want to keep my "expertise" rating with Google, although most of my traffic, by far, comes from FB.

It's because of this that I am interested in how the EC is working for others, although I doubt I'll "opt in" at any point.

I see your point as a niche writer and losing the advantage with EC. I hope there are no other drawbacks with something others take as recognition of something.

9. Persiamer profile image61
    Persiamerposted 10 years ago

Hello.  I am completely new to this venue and don't completely understand how to "make money" here.  Can anyone tell me of their success, and/or explain the process in layman's terms?
    Thank you!

Welcome Persiamer!

Start writing good and interesting articles. That's All !!!

1. Persiamer profile image61
        Persiamerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Goodpal!

Start doing it and you will also discover a great supporting community.

10. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Certain kinds of hub do very well from the change. Most of my EC hubs have done very well.

I reckon that if you have a sub that is suffering a serious Panda hit, the very best pages will benefit from moving to the main domain where there is no Panda hit (or only a small one).

Moving pages that Google has never had a use for will not help them.

Moving pages from subs that have never had a significant Panda hit will not help, either.

Real star-performer pages can suffer and lose traffic because of the disruption caused by the URL change.

I doubt if it as simple as I have made it out to be, lol. But there you are. It's a theory to explain the discrepancies.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That all makes perfect sense. Of course there are always exceptions, but generally I would agree with this.

11. profile image51
    arshiacomposted 10 years ago

Check out the link below to get your answer
    http://blog.hubpages.com/2013/10/a-few- … questions/
    regards
    Arshia

Thanks Arshia, for the link. It really answers many things and indicates how hubpages team is working hard.

Greatly appreciate your efforts!

12. profile image51
    arshiacomposted 10 years ago

you are wlcome.

13. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

I have not seen any changes. The benefits are mostly for the mother ship.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Its sweet that you see HP as your Mum. But how can HP benefit if the writers do not benefit also?

1. janderson99 profile image53
        janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you recall the ancient history, a long long time ago, about what triggered EC you will see why this is so.

For years HP struggled to get all the hubs shifted to subdomains. Hubs published prior to June 2011 stayed linked to the mother ship, despite HP's efforts to convince Google to do it.

Then one day it happened - Hey Presto G did it!

BUT, Shock horror, traffic tanked.

After a week or so, HP deduced that the reason was that the HP URL had lost a major proportion of direct links to the mother URL that gave it juice. The solution my dear friends was EC.

HP decided that they desperately needed to get a host of hubs directly linked to the mother URL. So they decided to take the cream off the top with EC. The fix worked for the mother ship HP, with 14,000 hubs or so directly linked.

The rest is history.

May the force be with you!

1. Dorsi profile image88
          Dorsiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds logical to me.

14. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 10 years ago

I have just one (1) Editor's Choice hub. It's not my favourite article. I don't even like the article that much but it's getting more traffic, is in my dashboard area at the top of all my articles. Weird. Actually - it's visited a lot more now than a few months ago but nobody ever comments on it, so I don't understand how it's even an Editor's choice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)