More ad changes this week.

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
    Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years ago

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give you a heads up that there will be a few changes to the ad layouts this week:

- On the desktop Hub, we'll be testing 300x600 ads in the first and third sidebar locations. Sometimes these ads will render as 300x600s and sometimes they will render as 300x250s. 300x600s are more premium units and running them in conjunction with 300x250s should result in a revenue increase.
    - On the mobile Hub, we'll be doing something similar with the first ad location on the page, running the 320x100 size in addition to the 320x50. Moreover, this ad will no longer stick to the top of the page as the user scrolls.
    - We'll be running ads from new advertising partners in various locations on both mobile and desktop. This should also result in a CPM and revenue boost.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Edit (1/16/15): We are also adding a 4th ad unit in the sidebar on longer (roughly 50%) Hubs only.

1. Pop Culture World profile image81
      Pop Culture Worldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like some potential good news!

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good to me!

3. kannanwrites profile image91
      kannanwritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think this might be one of issues that the team is already looking to resolve.

Just read a hub and the sharing options are not completely visible. They are only seen completely when I reached the bottom of the page.

4. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I look forward to seeing the results. What about those annoying video ads? Is anything being done about them?

Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey bravewarrior, which annoying video ads? We've been blocking them as Hubbers have been reporting them. If see any new ones, please report them in Ad Problems.

1. bravewarrior profile image86

Marina, according to that forum, the ads are allowed unless they hover over copy or the audio is heard. That's not the case, but they are there. It's quite annoying. I thought they were going to go away entirely.

Oh, I see. My apologies for misunderstanding! We do allow video ads so long as the audio is muted. However, if the video ads are inappropriate or slow down your browser, please report them so that we can take a look. They may be allowed, but when in doubt go ahead and report them. Matt has some instructions for how to best report ads in this post. Thanks!

1. bravewarrior profile image86

Thanx Marina. At least they don't cover up our copy, nor do we hear them. However, they bounce around in my peripheral vision and I find that annoying.

One of the reasons I quit writing for examiner.com is because of the video ads that pop up on every page (over the copy) and play whether you want them to or not.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Everyone is talking about the "new" ads, etc...I'm not seeing anything different on my hubs for either my own or anybody else's ads.  What am I missing here?

6. Judy Filarecki profile image71
      Judy Filareckiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't remember noticing this before now, but our featured hub just under the first ad now has the hub description included along with the picture. I like it. Hope you keep it. I also like the way the ads are scrolling now with each one pausing in place for a short period of time.

7. Judy Filarecki profile image71
      Judy Filareckiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have an ad that the recording automatically starts without being clicked on and there is no way to turn the volume off. It starts up even when I have scrolled down past it before it starts and is startling and annoying. The ad I'm referring to is Contour by Comcast. There should be volume controls on all ads and should not automatically start when no longer visible on the page.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

Thanks for letting us know. It will be interesting to see how they look on our hubs.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Thank you. I look forward to the boost.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

My fondness of HP continues.

http://www.nsf.gov/news/mmg/media/images/spring_flowers_f1.jpg

5. nutritionhub profile image60
    nutritionhubposted 9 years ago

Are these Layout changes likely to result in any loss of Google traffic?

Many Thanks.

6. pumpkincat210 profile image60
    pumpkincat210posted 9 years ago

cool!   
    thank you for updating us.

7. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

Looks like HP staff will have a busy week between testing these ad changes and the ending of the Squidoo Grace Period on Thursday. The addition of the extra ad partners is also exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing a nice boost.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

What extra ad partners?  Where did you hear that and how can I find out more. I must have missed something.

We're going to test Tribal Fusion and Ad.com (AOL's ad product) ads on both mobile and desktop. There might be more in the next few weeks. None of this is permanent, however, and whether we stick with these networks long-term will depend on how well the ads perform.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Uh-oh... The reputation of the Tribal Fusion I know is less than stellar. Their presence could even trigger malware warnings all over the place. Or have they cleaned up their act since then?

https://www.google.com/#q=tribal+fusion+malware

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

What is Tribal Fusion?

1. NateB11 profile image88

It's a well-established reputable ad program that pays per impression. Many sites use it.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marina mentioned it in her first post at the beginning of this thread.

[EDIT] I just noticed she already answered you.

8. Rota profile image78
    Rotaposted 9 years ago

Revenue boost! Seems like this is what we have all been waiting for. yayyy!

9. Juliet Stewart profile image55
    Juliet Stewartposted 9 years ago

Still fairly new to Hub Pages, anything that increases revenue, can't be bad.  Waiting on bated breath.

10. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 9 years ago

It's very good to know. But, one thing we see is the share buttons for sharing our hubs on social media are very very below at the bottom of the hub. I hope this is some what inconvenient to most of us. It should be in the middle or first half of the hub.

11. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image72
    Baby-Boomer-58posted 9 years ago

Hello Marina.
    Do we get revenue if people click on any of the many smaller 'blue' ads down the right hand side of our hubs?

Between the side and the bottom, there are no less than 15 of those ad link critters. There is no way that won't perturb Google down the line. And unless things have changed, we do indeed not get paid for those. And HP stated they were going to get rid of them, what happened?

We removed the sidebar Related Searches unit in early December with the launch of the redesign. smile

Edit: Oops, just saw your post below!

Interesting how they snuck back in for a little while this morning. I guess you can't keep a good ad link down. lol

Ohhh..those aren't the same blue links as Related Searches. Those are part of the new 300x600 ads - and yes, revenue from these units (and everything running in the sidebar) is shared.

1. sallybea profile image93
              sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marina, I was wondering about those.  Looking good:)

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

Happy Camper Time. big_smile

12. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

I see that the side link ads have disappeared again. Hope springs eternal. big_smile

Are the blue links I am seeing the same old related ads which from which we never received earnings from last year?  They are not on all of my hubs
      but in general I think the ads look pretty good except,  they are so vibrant they probably detract from the content of the hub.  Lets hope that we see  increased earnings from them.

13. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

The new longer ads mean that the social media buttons end up way, way, way down the page in the never, never. Please consider moving them to after the first ad, or after the 'More by' (before the second ad). Also please consider increasing the font size, or using a more easily read font. This would be a magical way of increasing reader satisfaction by 5% which was one of Paul E's aspirations. Thanks for you time. Cheers

14. Sulabha profile image75
    Sulabhaposted 9 years ago

Hope this helps me!

15. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image72

Thanks for explaining the new blue ads, Marina. I like the way they take up less room and only expand when rolling the cursor over them. I've seen some really relevant, enticing ads on a few hubs. Good that the hubbers will potentially benefit from them.

Thanks for making a positive change away from links that earned us nothing. I'm inspired to become more active and write more hubs.

16. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image72

I think the problem janderson99 raised is not so much with the placement of the social media buttons, as the size of the ads they are placed below.

The bottom ad is huge compared to the font size of the hub. So when I expand the page in order to view the text, the ad becomes even more imposing (and intrusive) - and the social buttons cannot be viewed until I have finished reading a hub and scrolled all the way down to the bottom of the page (below all the comments).

If I didn't need to expand the page to effectively read the text, I'd be seeing the social media buttons from about half-way through the hub.

Perhaps you could try putting social media buttons above the bottom ad on the right hand side, Marina.

Or, even better, just reduce the size of that last floating ad. I feel rather uncomfortable having a giant carrot accompany me while reading, or any seemingly over-sized ad for that matter.

Why waste the chance to have readers pin or share hubs? Many will read to the end of the hub but are likely to lose interest before they reach the final comment where the social media buttons finally appear.

17. pumpkincat210 profile image60

Earlier my page was crazy with ads jumping all around.  I just checked my hubs and the jumpy ads were gone.  There was one that was slowly moving halfway down the page but not the ones that looked like they were going to give people seizures. 

Hopefully those will be kept to a minimum.

18. Victoria Lynn profile image87
    Victoria Lynnposted 9 years ago

Did someone say "revenue boost"? That's hopeful. I'll take it. And I just have to say that paradigmsearch is hilarious! :-)

19. radhikasree profile image72
    radhikasreeposted 9 years ago

My adsense views are nil after the new ad changes. Is this going to affect our adsense earnings?

20. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 9 years ago

I'm seeing improvements on my end. I don't know if it has to do with the new ads or just that we're coming out of the "end/beginning of the year" slump.

Just wanted to chime in again and say I'm seeing even more improvement on my end.

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
        Rik Ravadoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes me too.  Early days but my CPM appears to be up around 30% !  Well done Hubpages and, in particular, Marina! smile

Totally. Looks to me like the new ads are working out well from what I can tell.

1. colorfulone profile image78
            colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed this thread.
            I did notice a change in ads on hubs recently.
            I have noticed improvements and wondered why.

21. Availiasvision profile image80
    Availiasvisionposted 9 years ago

I love the look of the new ads. I know that we're not supposed to click them but they are temping, even to me. I like the changed HP is making in de-cluttering our writing and making the ads visually appealing.

One thing that other sites are doing that is really turning me off is the whole slide idea.   You have to keep hitting "next" to get to the next sentence of an article--and a new advertisement pops up every time.  It takes ten times as long to get the information the reader needs. On a smartphone, it is really frustrating.  I can see how it improves advertising revenue, but it is aggravating to the reader.

I'm glad that HP is going against that trend.  I think other readers will get upset and want to go back to a traditional, HP style article. As a reader in this millennium, I want information and I want it fast!

Keep up the good work! I appreciate how HP is always forward thinking and reevaluates their tactics with every bump in the road.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image94
      Bedbugabscondposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hate the slide trend! I will Google something, then I will end on on some slide. I am on a tablet, and the last thing I want to do is go through a bunch of slides to get to the information I came for! I too am glad I am not seeing this here. It would drive me bonkers!

22. healthcarepro profile image72
    healthcareproposted 9 years ago

I think if the ad among 'related hubs' is related to the topics in 'related hubs', its more likely to get clicks.

23. pumpkincat210 profile image60

since the ads rolled out my AdSense page views have dropped from the hundreds to single digits. my RPM is higher than normal too and but one cent earned today.  my analytics visits are still decent but lower...not 3 views low though.  I'm still earning money through the ad program though.

is this happening to anyone else? have I configured something wrong. the discrepancy is confusing.

There is definitely a discrepancy.  I can't figure out what is going on.  I took screenshots of one days earnings which went really high for me.  RPM fluctuates from very good to poor..  I am being shown reasonable earnings for the day and these just disappear - never to be seen again, really weird.   I wrote to staff but they appeared not to understand what I was trying to explain and gave me a link to the Learning center.   I have kept the screenshots for future reference.

2. NateB11 profile image88

Yeah, Adsense not looking too good on my end.

24. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 9 years ago

My Hubpages ad CPM continues to be up around 30% and my earnings around 25%  since the ad changes.  I for one am very happy smile

PS: For those less than happy with Hubpages why not give Bubblews a try?  Here, what you see on the stats is always what you are paid (not so in Arvind's Bubble Land!).

I second that, about the ads and improved revenue. A definite improvement from what I was seeing early January.

25. Act 3 profile image77
    Act 3posted 9 years ago

I have also seen an increase in CPM and ad revenue!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)