What Drives Drug Use?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (73 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Why is it such a problem with our youth today. Why? Haven't we seen enough of the consequences of drug use which began in the sixties?
    Anyone can reason that drugs detrimentally affect the BRAINS in our head which are connected to a very strong yet sensitive NERVOUS SYSTEM!
    How many people do I know who died due to drug overdose or drug related accidents?
    A lot!
    Great people bought into the lie and are now gone.
    ...what if they were still here today, I always wonder.

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Poor impulse control. (Giving in to peer pressure)

Also, rebelliousness probably is a factor.

Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess the devil makes 'em do it.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

then what drives the peer pressure? and the peers ?

1. Phil Perez profile image60
          Phil Perezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you want to go with God and Devil then you don't have to ask anymore questions since you assume everything is driven by God's power or the Devil's power.

2. Phil Perez profile image60

Kathryn, I can safely say that the reason is psychological. Nobody who has ever done drugs does not understand what the feeling is like but they get into it because of curiosity, the drive to learn. After that, at first glance, they realize they feel good or numb - without problem. They spread the good news to others because they feel they've found the answers to their life problems.

It's not only youth, I find that offensive. People who don't understand long term effects are usually doomed into the lifestyle of drugs. Because they don't want to believe there are long term effects, or that, those effects won't happen to them.

People seek pleasure. That's all. Pleasure (not specifically only drugs) is addictive. Junk food, sex, alcohol, oversleeping, Netflix, HUBPAGES, video games etc are addictive because it gives us pleasure. There's a misconception that people will find happiness by staying on the path of pleasure.

I've had my share of pleasures (drugs) but it doesn't mean I'll want them to be a part of my life. It's a learning process for everyone. Some people have less will power than others. But it's wrong to avoid learning about anything.  It's important to understand drugs but find happiness to know you are strong enough to find that euphoria within yourself and not externally.

3. Phil Perez profile image60

Kathryn, I want to assume you're an American and say that Americans are ignorant because of their obesity problems. How come Americans don't learn ? It's the exact same thing you're doing by stereotyping that youth enjoy doing drugs the most.

The youth have the most to loose, thats all. It's such a tragedy when kids die right after high school.
        or they never get it together and live lives of addiction and failure.

Who says they have to die. I haven't died (at least I don't think so). Unless you're speaking metaphorically when you say "die..."

I was actually thinking of writing a Hub about escaping so when it's done, hopefully you take a look at it !

No. I mean literally dying. As in dead as a door knob…even after one set of parents I know lost their home trying to help their daughter get off heroin, in rehab after rehab center.
            I live in a middle to upper class suburban town far from LA and the hood.
            But thats where the kids here go for their heroin. The police have nicknamed the school near me "Heroin High." It started with Vicodin in the 90's.

Heroin's an expensive drug. The kids must have wealthy parents who're able to afford heroin. Maybe in LA or Cali people are into Heroin. Here in Montreal, people especially adore marijuana and there has never been a case of death because of it, ever. Not here and not anywhere else.

4. Michael-Milec profile image61
      Michael-Milecposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why problem with our youth today? Because those who produce youth are living recklessly and irresponsible towards their products. You take parents raising their offspring everyday, every hour having intelligent conversation, living clean and sober life until my child is 18 years old. Once a child reaches age of adulthood morally and intellectually stable, the people like that are wise enough to make right decision right. Some families are living respectfully toward the Creator and His rules,- but we are not talking about righteousness and fine tuning for spiritual eternity.
      You know as well I do and a few more perhaps, that all we do is personal decision unless your god government pays you to act to the will of  evil one: oops I ran out of words.

NICE!

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I think its because no one told them what an amazing thing the body is.. what a miraculous gift of God... the temple of the soul…
    Or how delicate the brain and the mind are and how valuable the brain/mind nervous system are in the ability to survive.
    Youth is wasted on the youth. sad

3. Cgenaea profile image61
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

Good question!
    As I stated before, there are exceptions to every rule. We have so many functioning house, state, federal druggies. Doctors do it, scientists do it, lawyers do it, athletes do it, and the list goes on and on... I once had a boss at a renowned insurance company who came to work EVERYDAY with the smell of whiskey. It makes me come to the conclusion that some can handle white envelopes of powder and still be productive. Some cannot.
    So many prostitutes, shooters, gay people and Magic's wife, don't have the HIV virus.
    No cookie cutters here!!! wink

4. Cgenaea profile image61
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

Why????? Good question...

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Do they not feel good?
    Do they really need to self-medicate because they are uncomfortable within themselves?
    Maybe they actually didn't get enough nurturing on some level when they were babies/toddlers!

Who knows? Even animals get addicted to things. Accidentally I suppose. People want to try new experiences. That's why I tried a few drugs when I was a teen. I wanted to see what it was like.

Well, addiction can become a significant cause of poverty and crime.
        Maybe we have to let the kids know in no uncertain terms.
        Coke, speed, heroin. Very addicting. Don't even try it once!

I agree, because it's easy to become addicted. I suppose I got lucky because I didn't enjoy the experience. It could have easily gone the other way.

It might depend the age you tried that certain drug, because teenagers and young adults who don't have much responsibility will be attracted towards drugs more often than older adults. Unless the drugs was extremely scary and made you hallucinate/stimulate you too much and you didn't know how to handle it which led you to push drugs away from your life ? That's just a guess. But I'm asking at the same time, I hope you don't mind answering.

When I tried pot, I did hallucinate. It might have just been my schizoaffective disorder coming through though. I didn't really like speed, made me have a lot of anxiety.

Here is why I quit smoking pot. I always loved swimming in the ocean. As a stupid teen of the 70's we all smoked the really weak stuff of the day. Weak or not, one time when a group of us were camping and toking I went down to the beach to swim.
                I was so shocked to discover that I could not feel the exhilaration I had always felt while swimming and body surfing in the waves of the ocean. I never smoked it again.
                Even alcohol just puts me to sleep! I love my natural high.

Phil Perezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah when the fear outweighs the happiness then you tend not to go back. That's what happened when I inhaled way too much salvia than I was supposed to and badtripped like there was no tomorrow. It's a non-lethal, minimal negative physical effect drug, but considered the strongest hallucinogenic in the world. It's legal to purchase, just not to consume/smoke. 
                  It scared me beyond belief and I'll probably never do it again. It's harmless but the psychological damage it did was strong enough to stray away from it probably forever !

Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

probably?
                      why did you not just say... forever?
                    you might do it socially?

thats the biggest down pull… peer pressure. I think.

2. Michael-Milec profile image61
                  Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

...remarkable to notice Kathryn L Hill, what you said and how you said it tells me you " heard"it in your spirit and took an action, went to swim, then you came to a conclusion...
                  Once the world will allow realization that we are spirit and soul living in the body, we will have more strong/ healthy individuals discerning between tyranny and freedom, and "youth" of all ages will disassociate themselves from putting in their bodies garbage, trash - useless waste matter including foolish words...(nonsense)...

Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Michael.
                    What I discovered is that the ability to feel joy of life within me is based on the natural feel good chemicals percolating within my brain such as seratonin, flowing along the synapses and dendrites which are firing.
                    These produce The Trip we want to be on!
                    Also the Qi within us is Bliss. We just need to tune into it.

Phil Perezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah that's very possible if you have schizophrenic tendencies or schizophrenia itself, janesix! Marijuana can and does heighten the possibility of schizophrenia and hallucinations both visual and auditory !

Speed long term can cause that type of feeling, too. Although it should never be used as an anti-depressant. That'll eventually screw up the chemical balance in your brain.

Have you personally done, cocaine, speed and heroine to say it's very addicting ? I mean you must know since you're making that claim.

No, I have not. Everyone knows this to be true.

That's subjective though. People make it addicting by having weak willed minds that cannot resist temptation.

I've personally done speed and I liked the feeling, I just don't have an addictive personality towards drugs. I don't do speed by the way, I just tried it.

3. Cgenaea profile image61
          Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why oh why, Ms. Kathryn is the phrase, "Don't do it." viewed as a license to, for so many??? wink
          Not even THINKING about touching that stove, right up until someone says...

It makes us curious...
          I watched crack take down so many of my family members. I never touched our house, but aunts and uncles were super doopers.
          The life of one living on peanuts is catapulted to the dark side...
          I knew that I didn't want it from watching...
          When my time came, I was able to belt out a resounding and confident NO...
          Then the police came with their BS...
          After all my ease at not even trying it... I was labeled.
          As I think, targeting was not something they did in the 70-80 era so I am the ONLY one "lucky" enough to be legally tagged... the only one who never knew that high... still don't. Also, the only one with higher education for (nobody knows how) many generations.
          Funny how that works. wink

Yes ! Dog loves chocolate! They'll continuously eat and not make the correlation that after they eat it they feel extremely sick (probably because they cannot).

Yes, tell your dogs not to touch chocolate. It can kill them!

2. Cgenaea profile image61

Maybe they're just people who like white powder... lol...
      Enough nurturing??? Maybe.
      The drinker was a white man who seemed pretty happy.  I have no idea why he sipped most likely all day. I didn't know him on a personal level. But he got his work done. He wad the only white guy in the company who worked directly beneath a black dude... maybe that was his problem.  Lol...

3. Phil Perez profile image60

You're right Kathryn. They do have a discomfort towards themselves. They do not get enough attention probably as well. But there's a lack of stimulus in the world so they feel it's necessary to use drugs to "make the best out of a bad situation."

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Thanks all, for your insights.
    In my case, as I contemplate this, in high school, I wanted more interaction from life itself. I felt frustrated that I had to sit, sit, sit, absorb, absorb, and mostly against my will. School might be the cause of drug use for some!
    Kids are bored of sit, sit, sitting under the tyranny of the school system
    They want to do, do, do in liberty (within common sense boundaries.)
    Maybe they should be allowed out of school, (around fifteen or sixteen,) to mentor in the real world.
    This is a win-win. The businesses and schools, etc. would get free help and the kids would recieve on-the-job training.
    I would have benefitted greatly.
    As it was I was still trying to have fun at 18 yrs. old! No sense of purpose what-so-ever!
    No one knew which way to assist me... despite all my interests !!!!
    They LET me run amok!

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Youth should be a time of great strength and sense of purpose. it should be a time of good intentions, great expectations and changing the world for the better. They, know nothing about the world after they graduate. All they have ever gleaned from their high school days was how to party.
    As far as I can see... for some.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Maybe it starts with Ritalin and other drugs given in the early days of a child's life for ADHD. There was an incident here where a high school student jumped off the highest building at school to his death in front of all his classmates in the quad.

I doubt it. Kids have been doing drugs much longer than Ritalin has been around.

like what? baby asprin?

I don't know what you mean. I mean regular drugs like pot have been around much longer than newer meds like Ritalin. So I doubt it has anything to do with Ritalin.

History of illegal ("recreational") drug use for teens and older from my vantage point:

Alcohol and limited marijuana use: 50's
            Whites, and Reds, (uppers and downers,) Pot: 60's.
            Pot, Angel dust (elephant tranquilizer) and LSD: 70's.
            Coke, Speed and Ecstasy, (MDMA,): 80's.
            Vicodin and pharmaceuticals and Ecstasy: 90's.
            Heroin, pharmaceuticals, Molly,(synthetic MDMA,): OO's to present day.
            I just heard synthetic pot is being now sold.

If it is for the sake of rebellion, what are they rebelling against?

Maybe they don't know..
            Maybe they just can't put their finger on it.
            I'm saying its a problem.
            I 'm saying we need to isolate the difficulty in attempt to solve it.

Rebelliousness is a natural part of growing up. Rebellion from parental and other authority obviously.

Yes, you say "obviously."
                   I cannot accept drug use as natural or necessary to advance to adulthood. Not all go this route, of course. What sets them apart?

What are they rebelling against in particular?
                Do you suppose.
                In the 60's? in the 70's? in the 80's ?
                Is it the same reason, or not, in each generation?

Teenagers rebel in different ways. Some take the self-destructive path, most don't. Some just grow up.

What else could it possibly be?

That you are not clear is very telling.

We have accepted so much BS in our day to day lives.

2. Cgenaea profile image61

If you watch your dad toot cocaine, then go off to work as the DA, would you consider dope as self-destructive?

Not all teens do drugs as a form of rebelling. Don't forget you were a teenager at one point of your life and had friends who were teenagers, Kathryn. It just goes to show you how little we know about drugs to really say which ones are harmful and which ones aren't.

Cigarettes have been around longer than drugs and people, NOT ONLY YOUTH continue to smoke. Do you have an explanation for that that doesn't involve God?

MDMA isn't Ecstacy by the way.
              Molly is just another name for MDMA. It's like saying "grass" was invented in the 80's, for example, but "weed" was invented in the 90's. That's total bs. I don't call it grass, I'm too modern to call it that now. People call it "chronic, kush, piff, the green" now. That was just to let you know what "the kids" call it now.

Marijuana is 200-300% more potent now than it ever was, just to let anyone know. But it's still the same.

Heroin has been around in the 60's. Opium is like heroin if not the same thing...

"synthetic" pot is just medicinal marijuana. It's extremely potent. 0.2g is strong enough to get an active user high.

I'm sorry Kathryn but you have to inform yourself of the history of drugs.

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I believe that the youth are abandoned on a level by parents and teachers alike. They are not allowed by adults to operate on a level of their true selves because they are not encouraged to think, explore, discover, research according to their true interests. What teacher ever cared about encouraging you to love what you were learning and showed you the significance of what you were learning? I know some do. Thank God for them.
    What Math teacher ever cared about showing you how what you were learning applied to the concrete world? For me, none of them!
    I believe there is a way to go in a positive direction and avoid going in a negative direction.
    Drugs are negative. They initiate a downward spiral.
    Thankfully, many kids overcome the downward cycle and get their lives together.
    Especially after they start families of their own. Thats when the positive spiral amps forth once again for the sake of their child's positive growth and development.

Agreed on all points.

smile

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

What are adults putting up with? Money, nothing but money... and the gun is to the head.  Adults/parents of the 70's came home and had Martinis after work. It helped them relax after a hard day at work. They mostly became alcoholics and eventually had to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. Relationships need to be very tight to make it through family life.

Life is just not easy.
    That's why people get involved in drugs and substances. They are looking for the Bliss that we knew before we were born... since it's so hard to find it here.
    And we really don't help each other very much to find it.

TWISI

11. Jason Marovich profile image89
    Jason Marovichposted 9 years ago

"What drives drug use?"

Your question doesn't have one answer.  There are a variety of reasons people become addicted to drugs, as many of you have noted already.

Many psychologists believe that substance abuse is a mental health disorder and that it is often accompanied by another mental health disorder (i.e. depression, anxiety, mood disorders).

For now, with the level of genetic science we're at, the best thing we can do is focus on youth education (pre-use) and treatment (post-use).

What is "genetic science?"

1. Jason Marovich profile image89
        Jason Marovichposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Small variations in our DNA can correlate with differences in the way individuals respond to a medication or in their risk for getting a disease. Often, these variations occur within the DNA letters that make up the protein-coding portion of a gene, influencing how the protein works."

University of Utah

Maybe that explains more than I ever realized. Thank you.
          I have been dealing with so many people addicted to alcohol, speed/coke. They seem to be functional. The weird thing is, I am so straight!  Does everyone have people like these in their lives?
          I think there must be a lot of genetic malfunctioning in the gene pool! Maybe we are passing it on and on and on... yikes
          I hope you can offer more insights!

From the link: "Studies have shown that 40-60 percent of the predisposition to addiction can be attributed to genetics."
              Now we are getting somewhere... where I don't know... somewhere.
              Thanks JS.

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Possible ways to prevent the urge to take/need drugs for the young and old:
    I.) If drug use is (somehow) predisposed, we can do something about it to prevent it.
        A. Observe our babies.
           a. Are they cranky and needy? Sooth them as needed. Try not to deny them the soothing they need. (Usually from nursing on demand.)
           b. Are they often out of sorts? This could indicate food sensitivity.
           c. Are their digestive tracts more sensitive than typical babies? They might need "gentle" foods longer than other babies.(Gentle= blended or pureed cooked carrots, squash, and brown rice cream, etc. No processed white flour/sugar items.)
           d. Do they loose focus and start knocking things around in a vague display of frustration when tired? Help them wind down and rest.
           e. Do they often seem uncomfortable when gassy from bouts sensitivity to foods or bad mixing of foods? Observe what combinations of foods give your baby trouble. Serve foods according to mixing charts.

II.) Regulating the diet could help in a proactive way to strengthen the general functioning of the body and therefore the mind/brain.
         A. Autism seems to be helped when children's diets are monitored/regulated.
            a. No processed foods
            b. More raw foods
            c. Chelation therapy to remove heavy metals from their blood streams.
         B.  Depression is helped by a heathy diet, fresh air, exercise and reduced stress.
              a. Sugar, white flour and processed foods should be avoided completely.
              b. Daily exercise / free play of some sort.
              c. Regular periods of flow time where one does what one likes with no thought of time.
              d. Vacations from work or school should be allowed when the mind and body start showing symptoms of reduced vitality: i.e colds, body/head aches, general fatigue before it manifests as depression.
         C.  Less carbohydrates, which are known addiction triggers.
         D.  Never touching drugs in the very first place. Educating children of the harmful effects and consequences of addiction. Parents are the best teachers, I believe.

III.)  Less stress in schools.
          A. Children need more regard, consideration and respect.
              a. More freedom in school. Foster exploration, research and discovery.
              b. Focus on what THEY are interested in. 
              c. Teaching in a way that would encourage the expansion of interests.
              d. Let them start the school day at 9 o'clock after breakfast and family time.

IV.) Less stress in society.
         A. Freedom within common sense boundaries for the population at large.
              a. Socialism is taboo as it removes the natural instinct to do for oneself.
              b. Socialism removes the joy of reaping the benefits of what one sows for oneself, family and community, nation and world according to one's free will.

TWISI

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)