The importance of tags

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Thought I would share this one. I tagged one of my hubs:

http://hubpages.com/hub/When-will-the-r … bottom-out

with the tag "luxury goods" as I was talking about how the real estate bubble blew up the luxury goods bubble. This resulted in some very inappropriate google ads for expensive shoes all over the place. I have now removed that tag, the shoe ads are gone and I now have appropriate ads.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

buggar mark the shoe adds are the only ones I click on..

Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to disappoint you. big_smile

2. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You deserve to be served on Vanila Ice Cream smile

or Pavlova (or that still ours?) lol

Walmarts gotta special on Kiwi-fruit and shoes Im in like Flyn ( grins)

Mark youre gonna be sorry you missed out on the new crocs lol, tell you what ( im feeling generous)Ill grab the two for $4 deal then  the tan ones for you.

I only buy new shoes when my wife makes me throw away my comfortable ones. wink

they need to put shoe bins around the cities n towns,ewwww, but well many countries wouldnt be too proud to wear'em , just imagine some Tibetan goat farmer wearin youre old loafers perhaps.

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I often wonder about that myself hmm how do I get dating ads on a Hub that has nothing to do with the content or attract people with pervy keywords? yikes I am like...ewwww tongue lol

Well, in this case I could identify a specific tag. I am sure you could do the same.

3. Dame Scribe profile image56

As they are Hubs for Q & A ...would that have a difference? hmm

I don't know - but I would look at your tags and see what might be causing it. It may just be that google was unable to supply appropriate ads and uses default ads. Which I guess at the moment seem to be about "marrying Indian girls" or "Dating Muslim girls" lol

4. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Mark are you saying that you were able to ID the tag becz you had used it in only that article?

5. Dame Scribe profile image56

I am so new at learning about tags, tongue I will have to check them out hmm lol

6. Dame Scribe profile image56

Old shoes make good chew toys for my dogs lol lol

lol

2. LondonGirl profile image83
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, in the case of my parents' puppy, all shoes (incl. new ones) are chewing toys...

7. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Are tags really important to Google? I thought Google uses the entire content of your hub.

What I believe to be true is if I use similar tags to your hub, my hub will be grouped as similar to yours and your readers will be as good as mine. The opposite is also true.

1. dingdong profile image57
      dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't tags get least importance?

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

Yes - they seem to be important. By tagging a word or phrase you are telling google what is important to your page.

8. johnr54 profile image47
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

Tags on hubpages are actually outbound links with the anchor text of the tag, so it will be weighted more than the normal text on the page, something like a header tag.

9. Kudlit profile image62
    Kudlitposted 14 years ago

Thanks for sharing this Mark. Irrelevant really minimize affects the earning potential of a hubpage negatively.

10. getpaidtopost profile image40
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

you need to always make you tags relevant and not to far away from the truth. make a hub about dogs and then add cats as a tag you will get a mix of dog ads and cat ads.

11. freelanceworld profile image60
    freelanceworldposted 14 years ago

Though i just wrote about importance of tagging in my Part 3 Series about hubpages
    I think the Value of tagging is a real good hub about the topic
    A read good job by the author http://i44.tinypic.com/2lvg040.gif

Hope that helps
    Regards smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)