The question that is sure to piss of PC America and the Liberal world.

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (167 posts)
  1. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

Should anyone who checked the boxes to get through his education using Affirmative Action. Even be considered qualified for any public office? Especially the Presidency?

I say, no.

They are not in the least bit qualified for the job and should not even be considered.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sarah Palin - Entire Thread

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

2. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG

And so it came to pass...

TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We should be so lucky.

As to have equality between all men under the law.

2. Bovine Currency profile image60
      Bovine Currencyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Should we disqualify the old boys club of Harvard and Yale?

Get real.

If they cannot graduate without checking a box. YES. That is the point of the question.

1. Bovine Currency profile image60

The box that says, my daddy has billions of dollars...

3. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why not? Look how well our "best and brightest" has done!

If you cannot earn an education, or gain a career without the Govt. forcing someone to give it to you. Why should I believe you can do the job?

Simple math.

If that is what the best and brightest can do. I hate to see what the box-checkers do.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

What's your claim to fame, BTW?

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

really?

5. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah pidgeon hole all of them.  We are after all a society of robots.  Lets do that with all aspects.  Charged with a crime, stick 'em with a needle. Caught having unwed sex, castrate 'em. Boy we could solve all the woes of society with that one.

Sounds like an pretty bad way of running a country.

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that does sound bad! Its as bad as electing someone President because he speaks well!

He, Obama, was elected because he was black. Lets not lie. He has no accomplishments or resume. He is simply a black man who was in the right place and played it for all it was worth. i would have done the same. if'n I was black I'da had y'all sayin "Hell!... We ain't racists and we'll prove it.". Also, DUH!

Just to get your vote. The man is anti-American and as racist as any racist I have ever heard of, or saw.

None of this has to do with color. it has to do with qualifications, and or the lack there-of.

You liberals can whine and cry racist all you want. And as far as generilizing. Too bad. Earn it or suck it up and take the stygma!!!

1. livelonger profile image87
            livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you can not say anything constructive. (sic) Just read quietly. (sic)

2. getitrite profile image71
            getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YOU ARE RACIST!!!

And that appears to be your true agenda here...to spew your hatred.

Nothing racist in the truth. So get real. I have used no racist terminology or other language. Not even a dirty joke. Too bad if you don't like the truth of any of this.

Obama was elected to the presidency because he is Black. Simple. And, Affirmative Action should not exist.

1. getitrite profile image71

You don't need to use racist terminology or racist jokes, that's irrelevant.  It is the message itself.  Anyone reading your rant can see that you hate black people.

I don't care if you hate black people, just keep it to yourself!  I agree that Affirmative Action did not adequately address the issue of past discrimination, but there should never have been a need for it in the first place.

1. profile image0

I discriminate against Presidents, and you are typical of anyone who has no argument!

Another racist!

2. TMMason profile image60

The question is not about color.

You are lost.

It is about ability, skill, intellect. Not color. It is about ones determination, self-reliance, ambition. Wake up, learn how to comprehend. Stop checking boxes all your life.

Oh really.  It's not about color?! huh!  You think you are so clever that you can disguise your prejudice in your comments.  You are just fooling yourself and those who can't read between the lines.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
                Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you know for a fact that Affirmative Action helped him get into University? Did it get him into every school he attended? Did it get him a teaching job?

And don't just quote Limbaugh and others. Just because a black man gets into university does not mean it's only possible through affirmative action.

Obama himself has proposed limiting affirmative action.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
                  AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He does have one accomplishment -- knowing how to organize the poor so that they actually register to vote... what's that called again? Oh yes, COMMUNITY ORGANIZER ... Too bad McCain and Palin hadn't been better "community organizers"..

Actually the US system is bizarre, if you don't mind me saying so. In most civilized countries (wink) you can just show up with valid ID to vote...

I have not stated Obama himself used AA. I said anyone who does is not qualified to hold office. Everyone has assumed Obama was spoken of.

not I.

Must be guilt of some sort on their part? I have stated I believe he, Obama, was elected because he was black and in the right place at the right time. I would have taken the ride myself, were I him. Stated that also.

There has been alot of assumptions and blatant misrepresentations of what I said, made into the issue all throughout this post.

Instead of what I actually said. But that is Liberals for ya'.

1. JBeadle profile image81
                    JBeadleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It could be that you aren't very good at explaining your position.  Or that your position isn't tenable.  That could be it.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Yep. And a knuckle dragger.

1. profile image0

Personal attack, personal attack, help us Hubpages staff!

3. JBeadle profile image81

Let's see...  you said Obama won just because he was black and he has no resume?  No accomplishments?  You want to have a "real" chat about whiner liberals and this is "your side of the truth".  That basically Chris Rock would win if he ran.  Go google Chris Rock.  And you call Obama anti-American?  The guy who just ran and won the presidency?

And then you cry about whiners who cry... all on a thread about how unfair America is because our democracy has some laws you don't like?

Wow.  That's a lot to digest without vomitting.

jb

1. profile image0

Obama didn't win because he was black, he won because he was not GW Bush! If you consider spending more money than any other member of the senate on pork projects an accomplishment, then he was accomplished! Those of us who are not blinded by star status saw him for what he is, an incompetent who would never be hired to run a company and should never be the President of the greatest Country on earth!

2. profile image0

blechh, Chris Rock annoys me...

Really?  I find his childish antics and humor amusing.  But insert any black in there is the point.  This guy is throwing out the tired dog of Obama has no resume.  I think it is on the script Limbaugh sends via email to his fans.  It's just insulting.  Especially, against the back drop of Palin.  C'mon.  Talk about a check box for affirmative action gone wrong story... puh-lease.  She was almost our VP?  Damon said it best... the republican agenda was playing out like a Disney movie where somehow the soccer mom ends up as President.

Don't like Chris Rock?  I think I have an idea for a new hub!

3. TMMason profile image60

Yes.

I said he won cause he is black.

Too bad. Chris Rock is a racist anti american also. Whats your point?

And Obama has no accomplishments or resume.

Also, I am not whining, just stating facts. And I have not said America was unfair at all. You are a confused individual. You should read slower, pay attention to who says what.

It is all you lberals who are cussing and whining. You are a winner eh.

I can't listen to you crybabies any longer!  Boo the friggin' hoo.  Better luck next election.

You haven't even read the thread have you.

<snipped - no personal attacks in the Forums>

That's against the rules.

6. AdsenseStrategies profile image63

Personal Computer America?

No, this guy

http://stayleft.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/john-hodgman-out-of-the-box.jpg

7. thejcrevelator2 profile image61
      thejcrevelator2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What about people who went to school on the GI Bill; got scholarships from corporations, got federally backed loans, went to state colleges that are taxpayer supported (most states support colleges and students only pay part of the cost, received federal grants for teachers who agree to work in poor school districts after graduation – I guess 80% of those who go to college don’t qualify to be president – only the rich qualify.  By the way did you go to college?  Which one – a state school where the taxpayer funded part of you cost?

Nice profile pic -- clearly you hail from Haight-Ashbury

2. profile image0

You want to equate the GI Bill with affirmative action?

2. pay2cEM profile image81
    pay2cEMposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't DISqualify them simply for using Affirmative Action. Sure, AA in general waters down the competency of the workplace because people are not given their position on their merits, but on their skin color. However, that doesn't mean that EVERYONE who has received preferential treatment from AA is undeserving. Perhaps someone benefited from AA AND they're the best at what they do. We'd only be doing ourselves a disservice by failing to consider them (on merit alone) for positions of public office.

Agreed.  This thread is very narrow, in that, the poster is assuming that every last person that has benefitted from Affirmative Action is below the bar.  What a prejudice view!

So. I should have to sift through them and figure out which ones have what it takes? That is the idea of College and internships. Isn't it? If your not smart enough to make admission to a college or university. That is that. Why should certain people get a pass?

If your smart enough, do not check the box. It is a stygma I would not want for myself, or my children.

If it is prejudiced?? Fine.

I don't believe I want a cop who couldn't make the force, or academy. If not for some rule saying he or she has to be admitted or taken.

Wrong!

If your not qualified. Too bad.

If you are. Earn it!

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Generalizations usually show a terrible lack of willingness to investigate facts further. I believe there are a lot of generalizations. It's not all one way or the other. It's a mix of good and bad. Based on facts, you should be able to determine whether or not AA is actually beneficial or not. I suggest a better investigation, not a broad, generalization.

Well stated.

Generally speaking

3. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

Isn't it a bit ironic that it always seems like the barely literate bring up issues like this?

1. profile image0

Not everyone can be like you...thank God!

If you cannot say anything constructive. Just read quietly.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Yep.

4. Friendlyword profile image61
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No in this case as in many cases; this is a smart opportunist putting some outrageous question on the forum to get you to go to his riduculous dribble he calls hubs. This one is smart.

4. cmlindblom profile image70
    cmlindblomposted 14 years ago

Barely Literate is pretty harsh and hard to judge on the basis of a question dont you think. Its an interesting topic that is sure to start a fight if not a conversation.

I don't think there's anything wrong in expressing the opinion that people who whine about affirmative action would probably be better served by getting an education themselves. So many of them are so unintelligible that it's difficult to follow their reasoning.

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Personally I find it funny that you guys seem to think it makes any difference who is in office. lol

Or you had any choice in the matter.

I agree. There is no two party system, or otherwise. But conspiracies are another thread.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So - you are well aware that you had no choice and anyone else in office would be doing the same as Obama - i.e. doing as instructed by the fed and doling out the pork to selected industries.

Why not address that instead of starting a fight with "you liberals" which is what the powers-that-be want you to do to distract way from the fact that you do not have a choice.

Who is the sucker here?

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Sarah Palin is not in office.  You and all other potential "Nuke Ular" casualties should be thankful for that.

3. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Voice of wisdom smile

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It certainly does and we certainly did.

6. Presigo profile image59
    Presigoposted 14 years ago

I think this question is good, defining. I take from the question should we be led by those that are not self made. Those who believe in individual character defines the person especially leaders would tend to agree with the author. Those who believe in empowering all people would tend to disagree.

Finally.

2. Bovine Currency profile image60

Self-made like who, President Junior?  Kennedy? Old boys running the country, great idea.  Why do Americans come up with such inane critcisms?

We have our share of idiots in our country, as you do as well.

No argument there...

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Can you think of anyone more "self-made" than Obama?

1. profile image0

Yes! Off the top of my head I would say Ronald Reagan,Hugh Hefner,Arnold Schwarzenegger,Al Capone!

1. profile image0

Yep! Him too

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

I'm not a big Colin Powell fan, but I sure agree with his comment on affirmative action. It brings to mind Jackie Robinson, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron and all the Afro-Cubans in the major leagues. And of course one of the greatest pitchers of all time, Satchel Paige, who didn't make it until he was 42 when he was hired by the Cleveland Indians. I guess he just wasn't good enough to make it on merit in the Majors earlier in his career.

1. profile image0

He got there on his skill not affirmative action!

1. profile image0
                Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

Exactly!
              The author of this forum is not fully aware of the reality of this issue.

7. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

I dare say us Australians just don't care so much.  I guess when the gene pool is much larger the idiot potential is larger also...

1. profile image0

I take it you are from a shallow gene pool?

No, not particularly.  Father is British born to parentage from two different european countries.  Mothers side from Slav region, so anyones guess how many gene splices.

On another note, rather bold conjecture from a Texan?

8. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://educatedmess.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/sniffing-dog-butt-779919.jpg

1. profile image0

Ah hell!

9. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I like peanutbutter sandwiches.

Legumeaphobe!

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

guilty as charged.

10. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

You don't even have to go to college to hold public office. Disqualifying someone for actually attending is asinine.

Your logic doesn't make sense to the anti-meritocratic crowd here.

1. profile image0

Affirmative action is anti meritocracy

Except when it comes to supporting undereducated people like Sarah Palin over Harvard-educated people like Obama, right?

1. profile image0

We will never know because Obama benefited from affirmative action, I wonder how many more qualified people were pushed aside so he could attend Harvard?

That's true, we'll probably never know.  I'm willing to wager however that you are not one of those people.

1. profile image0

Nor you, basket-weaver!

I turned them down.

1. profile image0

Is that what you have spun the rejection into? Delusion is your best friend!

Fair question!  BTW, how many qualified people were pushed aside so George W. Bush could attend Yale.

1. profile image0

Who knows, but I bet he paid for the privilege of attending!

Bush attended Yale?

I wish the troll were here.

WHAT?!!

3. livelonger profile image87

That's amusing. Maybe Obama robbed you of a spot at Harvard!

I wonder how many actually competent people weren't considered for the VP spot under McCain because they didn't "look the part"?

Maybe they should send the terminator to school?

4. Len Cannon profile image89
              Len Cannonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Given that he ended up one of the most successful students in the college even before becoming president, probably 0.  Assuming that you believe anyone is more qualified than Barack Hussein Obama, the answer is 1.

1. profile image0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What was Ronald Reagan's middle name? How about Gerald Ford? Krishna, maybe?

1. profile image0

Wilson, didn't think of Gerald Ford!

11. profile image0

Harry Truman never went to college.

12. profile image0

How bout the smiley face guy? big_smile

13. Len Cannon profile image89

So you would describe yourself as undecided on the issue?

14. profile image0

Hmm, Dems..Reps...shake hands and sit in your corners and wait for the bell...lol

15. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

Nothing is funnier than a bunch of people who think insulting people, in defense of an indefensible and racist policy, wins the debate.

It actually just shows the real ignorance.

16. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

You guys are funny. You'll never get anywhere with your attitudes.

This is the route I'm going next topic like this.  Dems vs Reps or Believers vs Atheists, etc.  I'm just going to not state my position and then sort of scoff at the heat and rhetoric.  It's annoying.  But it is safe!  And you feel better about yourself for not lowering to this level.  Although, I must say I prefer someone like the Texans showing how they feel than a non-stance scoff reply like this one.

1. profile image0

Heh.  I agree with Cole.  This has become a site lately where people just seem to throw up digitally all over the page.  It's all "who ya fer?" without having any actual position or intelligible rhetoric behind it.  I definitely DO NOT admire it.  Not to mention--it's boring.

Obama is white. You people don't know what you're on about. He is half black half white -- you all seem to be choosing the black half to emphasize - I choose the white half; prove me wrong

Sure. It was the black half that got elected.

Perhaps there might be something to that -- well half...

But really, I mean, it suggests that being white is "the norm" or "normal" whereas being black is the "interesting feature" -- I mean, I know what the answer is, but I still think it was worth saying...

2. profile image0

And your opinion on anything is all we care about..not

1. profile image0

Ironically, Tex...it may surprise you, but that was not posted with you in mind.  I am aware of certain limitations of scope for certain individuals.

But I'm sure for you retired folks, this kind of nonsense posting, mimicking 'writing' or whatever you think it is--is fun.  Probably way different from what you did for a living or something.  To me, it is just a waste of cyberspace.. Plus, my post was also a backing of Cole.

You needn't reply to me--I'm not interested.  Find someone more interested in your clever repartee...or whatever it is.

17. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

ok, lets put this into contxt,6 emillion africans died en route to the americas from africa, all of these people were transported to plantations by christians who justified their slave trafficking by quoting verses from the old testament. America was built on the blood sweat and tears of african slaves and that debt should be balanced over time by a conscious effort to restore balance in the society that originally created the problem.

read some history, and get real.

If you want to spout ignorant bulls**t feel free, but the stench of your nonsense has travelled over the atlantic.

You can try to justify it within whatever context you want.

It does not fly with me, nor most Americans. I am not going to pay for the sins of others. No repearations from me, not going to happen.

All have equality, that is the greatest gift there is. Don't try that liberal white guilt BS with me.

Man get real.

1. profile image0

actually it was just The South that was built with the help of slave labor, but anyway, affirmative action was created to balance inequities created over the years when qualified black people were passed by and jobs were given to white people. it's not reparations for slavery. it was to correct past injustices.

the President is intelligent and i am sure he worked just as hard for his degree as you or i. all the affirmative action in the world isn't going to amount to a hill of beans without hard work and dedication. p.s. i am not a liberal and i abhor political correctness, just so you know.

18. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Exactly, if you get in and can't hack it you are out...

19. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Silly me for misunderstanding...

Must be your liberalness getting in the way.  Is that a word?

The presidency. Not the President. Again, don't twist what I say like your lil friend. Grow up.

20. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Sarah Trollin

21. Len Cannon profile image89

This thread literally became "I know you are but what am I?"

I'm actually a little impressed.

22. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

But is it scary?

1. profile image0

Can you state anything more moronically, Tiff? 

Not to mention, I think you've got one of your stalkees crossed.  I don't remember saying anything about 'scary.'  'Disturbing,' 'boring,' 'painful' on a couple threads, yeah.

Yawn.

Is that a 'yes'?

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)