Debate - atheism vs theism - format

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (66 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Gardner Osagie vs Mark Knowles (consultations allowed)

Osagie proposes:

"Biblical theory better describes how human life came to be as opposed to Evolutionary theory."

Knowles is prepared to refute this and argue the evolutionary viewpoint as is appropriate.

We have several judges nominated, and now need an agreed format. Sufidreamer has suggested this:

And I suggest our next step should be to agree a format and fill in these blanks.

This is a new thread so we can start clean.

1. GardnerOsagie profile image59
      GardnerOsagieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Affirmative always goes first(that would be me)

Then the Negative gets to cross-examine and asks question to the affirmative

Then the Negative presents their case

Then the Affirmative get to  cross examine and ask the negative questions

The Affirmative does their rebuttal (no new arguments) just refutation

Then the Negative gives rebuttal (no new arguments)  and closing

Then the Affirmative closes

Then you guys vote.

2. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Great, I was just reading the site. 

I suggest a format that is one on one.  Since you have been challenged.  I would suggest allowing truth to ask the first question.

The think a reasonable number of responses should be less than five with each response being less than 500 words.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58

Sandra - Gardner is making the affirmative statement in this case as he declined to accept my affirmative statement.
    Give me a few moments and I will type out my proposal for the format.

4. Mark Knowles profile image58

1. The topic of the debate. Theism vs atheism. Specifically:

"Biblical theory better describes how human life came to be as opposed to Evolutionary theory."
    2. The opponents:

a. Gardner Osagie, Texas, USA - in favor of the biblical position.
    b. Knowles, Newbury, England. - In favor of the evolutionary viewpoint.

3. The scope of the debate: specifically to argue the pros and cons of biblical vs evolutionary development of humans.

4. The length of the debate. I suggest a maximum of 3 rounds.

5. Whether statements will be made concurrently or in turns, and if the latter, who goes first. As Gardner is taking the positive viewpoint, I suggest he goes first, and we take turns after.

6. The maximum length of each statement. I suggest a maximum of 1500 words in each statements, a maximum of 15 questions of max 100 words each with 250 words allowed for each reply to each question.

7.The time limit between statements.  Max 3 days after answering all questions (1 week max for questions - both asked and answered)

8.The extent to which quotes and references from outside sources will be allowed.  I suggest quotes from reputable sources will be allowed up to a max of 30% of the total statement. Judges decision will be final as to acceptability.

9. Starting date. I will be away from the computer starting Thursday until Monday next week. So - Monday is good for me.

10. Any additional rules or a debate format that debate participants must observe. I suggest no personal attacks and no heckling from the cheap seats. smile

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is this agreed on?

Okay, Monday then

Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

Looking forward to your opening statement.

We do need to list the judges and get them to arrange a voting system. Plus arrange some sort of complaints procedure for obviously false or disreputable sources.

1. profile image0

If each questions is allowed a week, then the judges should have enough time to fact check anything in question.

We could open a thread specifically for anything the participants find in question.

Does that work?

That sounds like a good idea. I was more thinking about complaints against sources that are actually personal opinions rather than factual information.

Wait a minute, We both have personal opinions. There are facts and interpretations of the facts. Don't blur the line. That why we are having this debate in the first place evolutionist have erased the line between facts and interpretations of facts.

No - I mean using references that are purely personal opinions posing as facts. Please do not start the debate just yet. Monday is soon enough. smile

1. profile image0

How about this: no blog source will be allowed.

2. profile image0

Okay, you could open with that for the judges to rule whether or not a source will be allowed.  So be specific.

As it is, both think each others sources are opinion so...

Let them both stand.

2. profile image0
          B52 Bomberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What time Monday?

That is up to Gardner. I am on GMT+1 - I have a week for questions. He has a week for answers, then I have 3 days for my rebuttal statement.

It's near 5pm here now.

5. profile image0

6. I suggest a maximum of 1500 words in each statements, a maximum of 15 questions of max 100 words each with 250 words allowed for each reply to each question.

Please be more clear.

The opening argument is no more than 1500 words. 

We'll need another format for the proposed questions. I suggest, at the end of each opening argument. It closes with a question presented in less than 100 words.

Each has then one chance to respond (so think clearly about what you write) to the question ie: Mark will answer, gardner can rebuttal both answering with less than 250 words.

The 3 response is in closing.  The total number of responses to the OA is 3 and each participant must wait for the judges final decision before the OA to the next question is presented.

More clear:

Three rounds of:

1. 1500 word statement by proponent.

2. 15, 100 word questions from the opponent.

3. 15 250 word answers from proponent.

4. 1500 word rebuttal from opponent.

5. 15, 100 word questions from the proponent

6. 15, 250 word answers from opponent.

Make sense?

That seems fine too

2. profile image0

Okay so you are saying that all the questions that proponent intends to ask must be presented in his opening argument.

The opponent will have the chance to answer each of the 15 questions with no more than 250 word answers per questions.

-the proponent/opponent cannot interfere until the opponent is done-

The Opponent will then make 1500 rebuttal, list 15 questions with less than 100 words each.

And the proponent then get's his chance to answer all the questions with less than 250 words.

Got it.  Sounds good to me.

Okay

6. GardnerOsagie profile image59
    GardnerOsagieposted 14 years ago

This seems okay, but the title of human life for evolution you must start with some ape like creature it's a continued regression that will lead back to origins. How should we reconcile this.

Easy - we debate the agreed proposal:

And see where it takes us.

Okay.

7. profile image0

8.The extent to which quotes and references from outside sources will be allowed.  I suggest quotes from reputable sources will be allowed up to a max of 30% of the total statement. Judges decision will be final as to acceptability.

As per the other thread, reputability has been denied and it is up to the opponent to dispel the argument. 

But 30% seems reasonable.  You do mean that 1 quote cannot be used in excess.  Statements such as, "you cannot prove a negative" or "there must have been a life force present before evolution could occur."  In other words, statements that cannot be reasonably debated.

Is this what you mean?

No - I mean using quotes from outside sources can be a maximum of 30% of the total argument. Meaning we must use our own words. So - with 1500 words in an argument - I can only use a maximum of 450 words quoted from another source.

1. profile image0

Okay, got it.

8. Presigo profile image61
    Presigoposted 14 years ago

To say that this is a waste of time is like saying the ocean has water in it. Not one of you will change your mind. In fact the rhetoric will only serve to harden hearts even more. I find it heartbreaking that this could even take place

1. XTASIS profile image61
      XTASISposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you are ?......

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Wow - Your heart is easily broken. sad

9. Mark Knowles profile image58

Sort of.

The proponent makes a statement
    The opponent asks questions
    The proponent answers
    The opponent makes a rebuttal statement
    The proponent asks questions
    The opponent answers

End of round.

big_smile

Can I suggest "End of Debate", This should not be dragged out for weeks.

1. profile image0

Whaaaat!  What a waste of my time.

No, you don't understand. I want to everything you stated, but in 1 one debate not separate rounds of repeats. Understand?

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Three rounds seems reasonable for such a debate. I am sure I will raise questions that you feel the need to answer properly in the next round and vice versa.

Fine. Calm down, Sandra cool

2. profile image0

Okay but that could turn messy and hard to follow.

I think stating all your questions first would be more ideal because this would allow the opponent to rebuttal in a more organized fashion.

The way you have it listed is leading.  The proponent should be able to ask a direct question first otherwise you are free to pick out any part of his statement and refute it which could lead not an argument instead of a debate. 

Just trying to be fair here.

However, if you will allow the proponent to make his first statement and ask his first question then okay.

No - this is realistic. I cannot ask questions until after a statement has been made. And he will have the same opportunity.

The proponent makes a statement
        The opponent asks questions
        The proponent answers

The opponent makes a rebuttal statement
        The proponent asks questions
        The opponent answers

@Jen

15 x 100 word questions (1500)
        15 x 250 word  answers (3750)

Seems fair to have more answering time?

1. profile image0

Okay but I am pretty good at leading questions and am trying to give garden a fair shot but if he decides that this works for him then I shall shut up. big_smile

2. jenblacksheep profile image69
          jenblacksheepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that depending on the question, 250 word answers could be too short. I dno, perhaps that's the challenge.

Is the debate going to just be in one thread in the Forums? Will the judges be allowed to make comments in that thread?

10. jenblacksheep profile image69
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I think you'll have too much to say to answer 15 questions with 250 words. I'd suggest that either:
    You must specify that the questions are to be very specific
    OR have fewer questions but more general (more words to answer them)
    OR that the overall number of words is (15x250=)3750, but you can choose how to allocate those words.

??

11. pylos26 profile image69
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

I volunteer for a judgeship on the christian side... "pylos the holy."

pass

1. pylos26 profile image69
        pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

rejection!!!...how could i have been so foolish to expect more from a good christian.

12. jenblacksheep profile image69

A source should count if it is written by an authority in that field.
    If the source has no author and no year of publication then you can't use it.
    If you use Wikipedia you will be SHOT! but i guess you knew that.

Perhaps we need a list of rules for what counts for a source.  No debating the sources, and you can't go back and edit it out. If either person breaks the rules then their quote is disregarded.

13. GardnerOsagie profile image59
    GardnerOsagieposted 14 years ago

I'm off, see ya Monday!

14. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Secondary and tertiary sources should quote their primary source also. Secondary and tertiary sources are not considered legitimate in many debates, but it depends on how formal you want to make this.

I'm looking very forward to this read as it develops. Best to both and judges.

15. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

If we only quote from such legitimate sources, then this is a cakewalk for atheists isn't it?

16. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

I'm already dismayed. This is not starting off as a theism/atheism debate, but as a Young Earth Creationism/Evolution debate. I don't think the Young Earth Creationist position will stand, and I'm pretty sure that atheists will interpret the Evolutionist position's victory as a refutation of theism, Judaism, Christianity, or any of its fundamental tenets.

Young Earth Creationism is not a tenet of most Christian denominations, so casting this as a theist/atheist debate isn't really all that appropriate, in my humble opinion.

1. profile image0
      thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The debate will not focus of the age of the earth, at all. If that if that is your intention mark, forget it. But I hope he will stick to the terms of the debate.

Val, being a YEC myself I have no problem defending it, but you'd be surprised how many other Christians hold that stance. As the evolutionary deception grows, more people are becoming more aware of a literal interpretation of Genesis.

17. Make  Money profile image68
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Yeah there is a pile of evidence for Young Earth Creationism.

1. profile image0

Yes sir and the truth is too often suppressed because evolutionists need their timegod because without it evolution looks dumb, so  Christians feel forced to compromise, Or “look stupid” It’s sad sad

18. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Lord Please make me a patient man!
    But for the sake of Logic, Science and Practicality....
    "Please Hurry!"
    lol

Good Luck to Our Gladiators
    And those about to die!
    lol

19. quietnessandtrust profile image61
    quietnessandtrustposted 14 years ago

I wanna be the word count checker so that I can issue penalties for overages. mad smile

20. Mark Knowles profile image58

The debate is starting out as requested by Gardner.

This is his suggested question and the subject he wishes to debate.
    The proposition is:

Gardner is a Young earth creationist and takes the bible literally - and I assume he wishes to argue that in his statement - seeing as this is a lot of his basis for attacking the evolutionary viewpoint.

I have  no problem with that - but I have been accused of "refusing to debate" and have made this challenge specifically to defend the evolutionary vs literal biblical standpoint.

We shall see where his first statement goes.

I see on this thread tth has already started attacking evolution and making his case for a young earth - so I assume that will be part of his plan of battle. Seeing as it appears that YEC is one of the proofs he has for the bible being a better explanation than evolution.

And seeing as questions about the science behind old earth evolution often form the basis for his proof of the validity of the bible - I fully expect and am prepared to defend that position.

So are we debating the age of the earth or evolution?

We are debating this statement:

You are making the opening statement, so you will dictate the tone and direction.

1. profile image0
          B52 Bomberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you guys starting today, I thought Monday.Or is this still Preliminaries?

2. profile image54
          (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just curious, does the above statement imply that the theory of evolution is well understood by all parties?

21. jenblacksheep profile image69

You should debate whether the Earth (universe/humanity) was created by God as set out in the Bible or if there is another theory that better explains it.

22. StephenVagus profile image60
    StephenVagusposted 14 years ago

Arguing on the Internet.

23. kess profile image61
    kessposted 14 years ago

Interesting start,
    I pity that guy,

24. glendoncaba profile image73
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

To gardner, take a look at the following thread:  It might just help:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/16681#top

That particular OP framed his topic "Atheism is irrational, illogical and boring", shall we say, interestingly. smile

A bit long but worth the read.

1. profile image0

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)