Does Google Adsense Keyword tool work for fiction?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I thought I might try to monetize a very old hub of mine, which is a short story (The Punky Wunkies).
    Currently, the keywords I am using are:
    "arts, Israel, short story, musicals, circumcision, freedom of religion, ATF, the first amendment, Branch Davidians, Establishment Clause, how to find friends, the Mount Carmel Massacre, the perfect marriage problem, Israelis and Jews."

None of that has gotten me any traffic for that hub in a long time, so I went to Google Adsense Keyword tool to get better keywords. I used the "website content" option and input the Punky Wunkies' url. I was really surprised that most of the suggested keywords were about making money, while a small minority were about getting an ex back. (Examples: how to make money, how to make money at home, how to make money fast...how to get rich quick, get my ex back, get my boyfriend back, get my girlfriend back, etc...)

Should I heed the advice of the Google Adsense Keyword tool? It's not what the story is about. But it might get traffic. My question: is it ethical? Will it backfire? Does the Tool give the same advice for every short story?

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to tell you Aya, it's going to be very hard to target any relevant ads for that story.  First off, it's over 10,000 words on part 1.  To get relevant ads from Google you'll need a keyword density of 3% to 8%  That means, for any keyword you want to target it has to appear in your story 300 to 800 times, unless I did my math wrong..lol  Run your keywords through the Adwords Traffic Estimator https://adwords.google.com/select/Traff … torSandbox  find the top 2 paying keywords and then write a 50 word unique summary to replace the summary you have. Don't make any changes to the content of the story and don't try to go back and stuff some keywords in the body of the text.

You may want to break it up too into several text modules and use those keywords as the module header.  You can make these changes without it affecting its indexing by the search engines. 

Would you mind sharing what your daily traffic is on that hub? I only ask because you might want to consider another way to monetize other than adsense.  Amazon, perhaps, or self publish a book on Lulu.com and direct your readers on how to purchase it through your hub.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

did you mean Adwords?

3. Aya Katz profile image84

Misha, yes, I meant "Adwords"

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Cool, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure smile

Well, as any tool this one may be tricky, and you should use your discretion when analyzing the results. If your hub is not about making money, you just discard related words. smile

5. Aya Katz profile image84

Misha, it's also not about getting an ex back. So... if I use my discretion, I'll have to discard just about everything they suggest. Except possibly this one: "outrageous mastery". I've no idea what it means, but it sounds interesting!

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I just went and took a look. Yeah, looks like the tool does not have a remote idea what your hub is about. No, definitely don't use the words it gives you now.

I am still puzzled to why, cause usually it is more or less accurate, but in this case it is completely off, and I have no idea where it takes those words from. yikes

Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, I've never tried the tool before on fiction. It just might be the case that the semantic analysis the Google linguists have built into their tool is not sophisticated enough to make out what the topic of a fictional work is.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, if you try to copy and paste the text of the hub into the tool (it has such an option, too) and filter out money and work, you get much more useful results smile

And sorry, I have no idea why they are bullying you about your money making hub. sad

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Possibly because there are no advertisers on those subjects?

7. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

Hi Aya

A while back, someone posted a link to this YouTube video on the forums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIAh9uCt4c

I found it REALLY helpful (not that I've seen any financial results to speak of yet though LOL).  From what I can gather, the key thing to do is put a high-paying, low competition and reasonably high-traffic keyword/phrase in your title (and also the URL if you're creating a hub from scratch). 

Other, more expert people than I will be able to provide supplementary info I'm sure.

Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Empress Felicity, thanks for the video. I watched it, and I think I understand the reasoning. But it works better for non-fiction, I would imagine, than for fiction. It's not a good idea to spell out exactly what a story is about in the title -- not even possible to do so, most of the time!

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I take your point LOL - I have a hard enough time creating titles for my hubs, all of which (apart from one) are non fiction!

Purely as a reader, I prefer titles that make one guess and pique one's curiosity.  However, having titles like that is one thing that AFAICT is *not* a good idea when it comes to monetisation.  Oh, well.

8. Aya Katz profile image84

In a related story, I just got an email from Google saying they've disabled ads to my "The Secret to Making Money on Hubpages" hub. The reason they gave:

"As stated in our program policies, AdSense publishers are not permitted toplace Google ads on sites with content related to programs offering
    incentives to click links or ads, read emails, or surf other websites.
    This would include, for instance, auto-surf sites, pay-to-read email
    networks, and sites comparing various pay-to-click programs."

Did I do that?

Aya, I went to the hub in question and your hub is fine, its the hubs you link to that may be in question.  The second one on your list tells people to click on the section of the ad that says "google ads"  Now part of google's software tells the spiders to search for words like that just to see if publishers are trying to cheat the system.  The spiders cannot read the context of the content only the words.  That author is not telling people to click the ads to cheat, he's telling them to click the portion of the ad that will reveal more information about the advertiser.

Personally, I would delete those links as they add nothing to your hub other than a reason to click away to earn for some other author.  I would also change the title of the hub by adding the words "What is" to the front of it.  As it is right now, searchers are looking for your "secrets" only to find out you have none.  Also, if you don't change the title, that's fine too as it will still give people a reason to click away, hopefully through an ad and not another hub link.

9. Aya Katz profile image84

Livewithrichard, I'll take your advice and try to eliminate the offending link. Should I notify Google that I've done this? Or will their spiders automatically decide that all is well and reinstate me?

After you have made your changes, you might want to contact Google to let them know the offending links have been removed.  If that does not work then another route to take would be to remove the hub completely and start over with another URL. Just change up some text so it wont trigger any duplicate content that will remain in the search engine cache for a while.

10. Aya Katz profile image84

Livewithrichard, what is the best way to contact Google? I would just reply to their email by it's one of those "noreply" emails, where they talk to you, but you don't get to talk back. ;->

The best way to contact them is through their Adsense Forum.  https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/request.py

11. Aya Katz profile image84

Livewithrichard, thanks!

12. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

would this be appropriate... short stories, short stories online, fiction, stories for, (theme of the story)?

13. Aya Katz profile image84

Shazwellyn, yes that might be good.

I was just so surprised that the keyword tool came up with such off-topic keywords. I can, of course, come up with "short story" and the correct theme or topics of the story. I've done that, in fact. But Google's keywords tool had helped me in the past to find unexpected but perfectly appropriate keywords that I would not have thought of myself. It was a shock that it failed so miserably in identifying the topic of my story.

But yes, your suggestions are good, and I'll include the variations on short story that I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

14. Jerilee Wei profile image69
    Jerilee Weiposted 14 years ago

I think of the tool as more of a "possible suggestions" and somewhat like a translation program, in that it is going to most certainly misunderstand, especially on topics that aren't clear cut and pretty much useless when it comes to most fiction, poetry, etc.

Then, there is another factor -- the whole topic of friendship, friends, etc. on the Internet is one of those areas that is way too popular and too commercial -- leading to low $ words.

If I had been choosing tags from the tool, still I would have gone for the simpler concept words and tried:

Israel
    Ann Arbor
    Village Green
    mutual understanding between friends
    how to find friends
    definition of friendship
    find a friend
    friendship gifts
    find friendship
    real friendship
    friend
    looking for a friend
    find fiends
    the meaning of friendship
    mutual understanding

I could be way off and I'm also real sure that you'd have to be careful that some of those words didn't give you ads that you don't want in terms of inappropriate.  I'd be interested to see what adsense words others would suggest to you.

BTW I still think that this fiction was some of your best on hubpages and so much more deserving of higher traffic.  Still think it should be broken up with pictures for easier reading.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)