Women should wear trousers or be Jailed

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (29 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

In a bid to implement Islamic Sharia law to the letter, Indonesia's West Aceh district has started giving away long, loose skirts to cover up Acehnese women caught wearing tight jeans.

The westernmost province of Aceh on Sumatra is the sole upholder of sharia law in the predominantly Muslim, but secular Indonesia. The previous local parliament passed a controversial law in September allowing adulterers to be stoned to death.

Wilayatul Hisbah, the Aceh sharia police force, has been conducting raids on unmarried couples caught together as well as gamblers and drinkers. Today, it set up road blocks to search cars and buses for women wearing tight trousers.

Offenders were taken away to a security post and their details recorded. They were briefed on sharia law and instructed to put on one of the 20,000 long skirts the local government ordered from tailors in Jakarta. Offenders were also asked to sign an agreement not to repeat the offence.

West Aceh Regent Ramli Mansyur said the regulation was introduced because he was "embarrassed that the fashion in Aceh has become too open".

The sharia police will spend several months educating locals about the new law. After August, offenders could face a week in jail, Mr Mansyur said.

Although most women were obliging to the clothing swap, some were not too happy.

One 40-year-old housewife said she was enraged when the sharia police stopped her while she was riding a motorbike and asked her to change into a skirt.

"I know I am wearing jeans, but I have a long top, and I don't look like a man, and my jeans are loose," she told the officers, while trying to put on a skirt she had prepared in her bag on top of her jeans.

"Are jeans forbidden by religion?" she said. "I think we can't judge someone's heart from the clothes she wears, because even if she is wearing covered clothes, is it a guarantee that she is a devout Muslim? Look at the mosques, they are empty," she said.

Aceh, on the far western tip of the Indonesian archipelago, is sometimes referred to as the "verandah of Mecca" because the staunchly Muslim province was one of the first parts of the country to turn to Islam.

1. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since when has it become okay to lift an entire article and reproduce it here? A paragraph is okay maybe under fair use, but a cut and paste of the whole thing seems a bit unfair to the original source.

Isn't it more appropriate to link to the original article, so they at least get the traffic from their content.

Of course if you are the author, or you have express permission to reproduce it, ignore the above.

2. Alota profile image60
    Alotaposted 13 years ago

outragous

1. donotfear profile image85
      donotfearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Outrageous, but true.  there are certain Christian denominations that impose this "standard" on their members, forbidding women to wear 'clothing of a man', or slacks. It even forbids the cutting of woman's hair! So you see, it is happening in all religions.

3. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I'd like to see women impose a law on men that they have to wear short skirts, and then see how they like it!

4. theirishobserver. profile image60

CMHypno - men in short skirts - Jesuz No smile

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean kilts? smile

5. theirishobserver. profile image60

At least the kilt if below the knee - I suppose it depends on where you are smile

6. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

Women must do what men tell them to because we're the stronger of the sexes!

7. theirishobserver. profile image60

WOW - that shoudl go down well smile

1. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Might makes right, no? big_smile

8. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

The French are banning burkas, Indonesia is banning pants...

The ONLY way for us ALL to get along is for everyone to become desensitized to the sight of the female body.. especially the yummy parts.

Therefore, each and every world government must ban women from wearing any type of clothing at all.. then and only then will these controversies subside.

1. LeanMan profile image81
      LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The desensitization works, I was in the US a few years back and my friends insisted on going to a "tittie" bar every night for a whole month... after the third night the boobs were getting in the way of the sports channel.... lol

2. Abbasangel profile image64
      Abbasangelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see your point however I would feel incredibly uncomfortable following your "new law" Greek Philosopher... Particularly if the guys were wearing clothes...

9. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I swear sometimes it feels like Christians and Muslims are going out of their way to make sure that, no matter what happens, no matter how the majority of people just want to live lives in peace, left alone and leaving others alone,  they're going to force their religions on people who don't want it and create anger and fury in people and, ultimately, make sure we get to that apocalypse prophesy religionists all seem hell bent on self-fulfilling.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is more than a little truth in that post, Shades.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

I'd probably consider a new 'ride'.

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/53222.jpg

11. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

or i'd have to ride around like this...

http://www.yourfunnypic.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/pink-ktm-motorcycle.jpg

1. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Awww you're cute!

12. theirishobserver. profile image60

Brother - whats going on smile

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What that picture doesn't show is that that's a male religious leader.  lol

13. Megavitamin profile image68
    Megavitaminposted 13 years ago

Let's change all the rules and ban clothing completely!

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Megavitamin I already suggested this idea above, but your comments have to be clarified to read....

"Let's change all the rules and ban FEMALES FROM WEARING clothing completely"

There have been no problems with men's clothing

smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i don't know about that..........i have a problem with some.......

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/borat-preview-1.jpg

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMG!!  Eyebleach, please!

14. Megavitamin profile image68
    Megavitaminposted 13 years ago

I believe in equality for all, so if women are banned from wearing clothes, then men should be too.  It's the right thing to do.

15. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

At least they don't have to cover head to foot in an abaya as the women here in Saudi Arabia have to, even the men here have to uphold decency, no bare chests and no shorts showing the knees and above...

Personally I think it is wrong to enforce this on people who do not want to...

16. profile image48
    Baieposted 13 years ago

Wao You are looking so cute i love it..big_smile

17. profile image48
    Baieposted 13 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)