DNS Problems

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (40 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

We've run into some DNS problems with the hubpages.com domain today, starting around 5am pacific time.  Everything should be on it's way back to normal, but you may see intermittent problems the rest of the day as the incorrect settings are gradually flushed from DNS caches around the globe.   If you are having trouble editing a hub or moderating comments, it may be best to just wait a few hours and try again.  Sorry about the inconvenience.

2. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Thanks Paul for the notification.

1. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm in a funny place, internet-wise, in Qatar where everything is censored and cached, so it's probably not typical, but for a few hours the hubpages domain was defaulting to a godaddy page. Seems OK now, though!

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

According to GoDaddy, today was the day that the HubPages domain renewed/expired based on it's registration date.

I figured with all the excitement around Paul Edmondson presenting at Web 2.0 on YieldBuild a few days ago, someone forgot to pay the bill.

1. spuds profile image60
          spudsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yikes what would we have done if the Hubpages domain expired!

3. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Freaked me out for sure! I wasn't sure what was going on- and it looked like the reg was good till 2010 so I thought it was the the guys in the black helicoptors! lol....

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 15 years ago

If you look closely Dorsi, you'll notice the domain registration was last updated today.

At 7:53am Pacific time today it read

1. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OK I looked about an hour ago- and I all I saw was the update. Thanks for pointing that out. Smart bunch we have here!!

5. William F. Torpey profile image73
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

I thought the world was coming to an end. I couldn't get onto HubPages all day. I just got it back a few minutes ago. I even tried emailing HubPages but there was no way to contact anyone because my emails were denied as well as access to the site. It sure is nice to have Hubpages back.

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What do you think the guys n gal;) of Hubpages were going through with those problems, let alone us!!

6. Betty Jo Petty profile image61
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 15 years ago

Glad I missed that. 

Good news to hear HubPages is just fine.

1. adelacuesta profile image59
      adelacuestaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, I was unable to log in since two days ago. I just checked this morning and glad 'this' was back. big_smile

7. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

I was blissfully unaware and asleep.

Good to see that everything is running smoothly for now (except the fact that I'm seeing a lot of missing avatars).

8. Karen Ellis profile image60
    Karen Ellisposted 15 years ago

I thought something was up.  Glad it's fixed - I'd miss hubpages if it just suddenly fell into a black hole.

9. Earl S. Wynn profile image77
    Earl S. Wynnposted 15 years ago

Haha, kinda shocked me too! I'm glad that "fun" is over and we can go back to hubbing! Yeah!

10. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Like everything in life, we take everything for granted and expect everything to be  ready and  available smile until  stuff starts hitting the fan!! very messsy and very unpleasant........sad

11. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

Ah, that's what it was.  I wasn't sure how concerned to be.  If it happens again, I'll know not to worry about it.

12. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 15 years ago

Oh my gosh...  I just got back from a two and a half week vacation and went to sign-on and BAM!  Where has HP gone?

I am pleasantly relieved:-)  Nice to be back and know that I can now get back up and running.

I was only able to check and approve comments briefly while on my cruise, etc...  so I am anxious to get back into the groove of things.

tMDg
    LdsNana-AskMormon

13. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

Does this really affect an international(someone outside US) hubber?

14. raymondphilippe profile image88
    raymondphilippeposted 15 years ago

I was seeing godaddy's domain parking page instead op hubpage's familiar one. Had me worried for an hour or so. Glad the problem was solved quickly.

15. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

I foir one cannot get into hubpages using 4 different browsers. My DNS is blocked.
    Had to use an anonomous proxy server to get in here. May need instructions on
    how to fix this if it is indeed the problem and if it applies to others. May need to be
    sent by email for those who do not know to use anonomous proxy. Seems there was
    a SQL Injection attack. Not sure this applies to here but here is address:
    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/ … datab.html

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

knol, if you are using windows try to type "ipconfig /flushdns" into the run or command prompt. And hit enter of course big_smile

That may help

PS And if you are using a router with dynamic DNS server, you may want to flush it, too smile

17. knolyourself profile image60

Thanks for the tip Misha. I don't use microsoft. But I suppose I could turn my system modem off and on and that would give me a new dns as you say. But not concerned about my individual problem, but rather that of others who don't get the help I do. If you get any definitive word on the precise problem maybe pass it on. Thanks.

1. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm this makes me wonder if I'll be down again once I go home. I'm posting from my shop right now and not having any problems.

18. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

Here are some instructions for flushing your cache on other platforms, just in case.  Everything should be normal again now, at least for internet service providers that have properly configured DNS servers (that honor TTL cache expiration times).  We shouldn't run into this particular problem again for at least 2 years (and hopefully not then either smile)

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That help?

19. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Excellent! I can see peoples avatars now!

20. AskSusanPeters profile image59
    AskSusanPetersposted 15 years ago

Ok, I'm getting a little nervous with this whole HubPages thing.  I sent an email to HubPages on Sunday who quickly answered my questions about the site being down.  In the email I was told to check back here for any updates on the DNS problems.  I'm not seeing any new information since Paul posted his comments two days ago.  I still have trouble accessing HubPages and I keep getting an error when I try to publish new work.

Could we have an update, please?
    Susan Peters

PS.
    I see I didn't read through all the messages posted here when I sent the request for an update.  FYI - followed the instructions and still having trouble from time to time.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The way DNS works, the only thing we can do is wait for the bad data to clear itself from all the downstream DNS servers.  I believe most people's access to HubPages was back to normal by Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.  However, there may be a few stubborn DNS caches that cause intermittent problems for a little while longer.

21. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 15 years ago

YAY!

22. 2patricias profile image60
    2patriciasposted 15 years ago

Glad to have you back on-line!  It was a bit startling this morning to get the GoDaddy page.  Still, it was reassuring that even IT people have problems with their websites - not just us little tadpoles.

23. Susan Ng profile image81
    Susan Ngposted 15 years ago

Phew!  (wiping sweat off brow)  That was scary.  So glad hubpages is back up. smile

24. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

This happened to me earlier yesterday where I would come to a parked domain and then retry hubpages a few minutes later.  It is good it has been fixed.

25. robie2 profile image77
    robie2posted 15 years ago

Thank God!!!! I finally can get onto Hubpages and find out that it wasn't me( my first thought of course)'ve been getting that parked domain on godaddy for two days now and am in severe hubpages withdrawal. I thought it was a virus or gremlin in my computer and have been running every scan known to man( kept coming up with lots of adtrackers from something called casalemedia.com but nothing else--whew. Almost sent an email to the team last night but decided to wait till this morning and here we are--everything fine I guess. I have Windows Vista on my new laptop and am still a bit shaky with it. I'm not going to try flushing anything since I don't know what I am doing. Is that OK? I've just been through major computer meltdown with my old setup and am a bit gunshy--also as you can tell I am a bit technophobic. Is it OK if I don't flush?(hmmmm that sounds a bit odd LOL)

26. Susan Ng profile image81
    Susan Ngposted 15 years ago

Haha! lol  My first thought was that my browser had been hijacked.  I googled "what happened to hugpages?", found that really scary page about hubpages being gone on squidoo and almost had a heart attack. yikes

1. robie2 profile image77
      robie2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

me too me too--almost had a heart attack.  Not a good thing to do to a hubaholic LOL

27. chantelg4 profile image69
    chantelg4posted 15 years ago

I was in shock this morning, glad to know it wasn't just me! Glad everything is up and running

28. knolyourself profile image60

Back to normal here with no flushing. Thanks. Interesting experience.

29. profile image0
    daflaposted 15 years ago

I got a lot of Tweets about Hubpages being down.  It was scary, for sure!  Hey, you need to put that domain name on auto pay or something!

30. dojimonster profile image60
    dojimonsterposted 15 years ago

Wow...I thought it was only me. But i was wondering...how come it was parked? why it wasn't some other message. I mean to be able to park a domain at godaddy, you need to configure something out, and you have to pay for it too?

Well, never mind. Im just glad that HP is back to normal  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)