Webooks

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Has anyone heard of this company? They are at http://www.webooks.co.uk

They are looking for writers to write articles related to the subjects of their book titles and they say they are aligned with How To Books out of Oxford. However, there is no mention of them on How To Books website; Webooks provides PDF's of their books.

I don't want to write a couple of articles for them and find out they are illegally providing copies of another publishers books or that they are trying to scam people somehow. And I can't email How To Books because they say their email is not working. A few things made me suspicious: they have AdSense ads on the book pages, I can't access the copyright page, and How To Books doesn't mention them.

I found the job listed on Craigslist and I've never applied for anything through them before. They say they will pay 20 pounds per article after you write a couple for them. I have to provide them with a couple of article ideas and my CV. Am I being too suspicious?

1. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67
      Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You have every right to be suspicious! Just because something is listed on craigslist doesn't mean it is legitimate. I have heard about many scams that have been listed there. The fact that they claim to be aligned with How To Books but there is no mention of them on the How To Books site would be a red flag to me.  The ads would also make me suspicious on a book page and the fact that you can't access the copyright page as well. It sounds like your intuition is working well in this situation!

Bonnie

2. profile image51
      howtobooksposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi there,

My name is Chris McVeigh and I work for How To Books.

No need to be suspicious - WeBooks IS a new joint venture that we have recently started with a tech partner. The sites that have launched are Beta test sites and we are soft launching them (without any huge PR push) until we iron out some of the cracks. That's the reason why some of the links etc dont work.

Coincidentally shortly after the sites went live our main office experienced major tech problems and our email system was out for almost 2 weeks. Thankfully we are now back up and running.

I appreciate your concern and I will make sure the issues you raised are addressed at once.

You can visit our main site at www.howtobooks.co.uk and you can email me at chris@howtobooks.co.uk if you have any further queries.

Thanks.

Chris.

1. Dorsi profile image88
        Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know this- I signed up for WeBooks too, I have a book in progress so I'll be checking it out.

2. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

No working email? Forget it!

3. Gawn Fishin' profile image61
    Gawn Fishin'posted 15 years ago

They probably have the right to reject any articles you do send them, so why the article ideas free?  Are they listed as affiliates by the Oxford University in England?  I would be cautious.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Thanks Chris smile

1. Gawn Fishin' profile image61
      Gawn Fishin'posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Under the circumstances, you had every right to be suspicious Uninvited Writer.  This thread is the only reason you found the truth.  Good job!

5. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

I was looking at an online book a couple of nights ago.  The title was something like, Write A Book A Month, though I don't think that was the title.  Anyway, she supported the use of WeBooks as an expedient way to get published and sell your book online.

I've never wanted to get into self publishing, so I didn't dig any further.  Anyway, you got your answer, Susan, and straight from the source - you attract important people.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I'm just interested in writing their articles based around the books, not the books themselves smile

1. Shirley Anderson profile image71
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I noticed you mentioned articles, so I think I'll check the link you posted.  Thx for doing that by the way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)