IMPLEMENTED: Change what "when" indicates for Forum "yours" view

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

This has been perplexing me for a while - has something changed or have I just gone ga-ga?

Being in a different time zone from most Hubbers, I rely on being able to click the "Your" button to catch up with who's posted on threads since I commented.
    Recently I've been missing comments because the "when" isn't changing.

For instance, I commented on the "New Hub layout site wide" three days ago. 

If I look at that thread now, I can see that Sue Adams posted 30 minutes ago. My "Your" list is showing her name, but the "when" is showing 3 days ago. 

In other words, it seems that the name of the latest poster is updating,but the "when" column shows when I commented, not when the latest post has occurred.

Is this intentional?  I'm struggling to understand what the point would be - why do I care when I commented?  I'm sure it wasn't always like that - was it?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's been like that for a while. I know, because it always confuses me!

Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's been like that for weeks (if not months), because I've been confused for some time - but it's only just occurred to me why I was confused.

In fact, it's crazier than I thought - I just checked the thread after posting this comment.  It still shows the time for my original comment - 18 hours ago - and ignores this one.

So what the "When" column is doing, is recording the first time you comment on a thread, and ignoring all subsequent posts by you or anyone else.

Waiting for a HP staffer to pop in and explain how I tell whether a new comment has been made on a thread with this setup.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Marisa

Sorry for any confusion.

What "Your" button are you referring to?
      Is this what you mean?
      http://hubpages.com/my/activity/online-notifications

For Forums in general, the "when" should indicate the last time any user added a comment.

This Forum thread, for example, right now shows the last post was 2 hours ago by @Aficionada

Do you have an example Forum post that is not reflecting that?

It also sounds like people may be talking about different issues in this same thread.

No, I'm referring to the "Latest Activity in All Forums" view.

It doesn't, for me.   It shows your name (as the most recent poster) but the "When" shows the time of my last post, not the time of your post.

Aficionada and Rebekah are talking about the same thing.

What it means is, the threads are ordered by the time I last posted, which means a thread with a recent post may be stuck on page 3, and I wont know it.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

So it looks like you are talking about this page:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/

Here are a few things to try:

Upgrade to the latest version of Firefox, 13 (it looks like you have version 9).

Clear your browser cache (instructions in forum post that follows)
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99079

If you are still seeing the issue, please take a screenshot and attach showing the problem (screenshot instruction are also in the FAQ post).

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Marisa, I've always thought the 'when' referred to when I last posted on the thread, not the most recent hubber listed.

So when you're checking the 'when', it should be when you last posted. Does this make sense?

That's what I thought it was doing - but if I look at this thread now, it still only records the time of my FIRST contribution to the thread.  (edit:  I just checked again, and it is now registering my most recent comment.  It wasn't doing that yesterday, so maybe someone has picked up on this post!).

Even if that's fixed, I still have a problem with it.

The question is, why do I give a toss when I last posted on the thread?  I know I've contributed to the thread because it's on my list.  What I want to know is - has anyone added a new post recently?  And I have no way of knowing, unless I can remember who last commented. 

What's worse, the threads are sorted in order of my first post - so a lively conversation that started two weeks ago is way back on page 3, even though someone may have posted 3 minutes ago.

I'm sure it wasn't always like that.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Because you can then go back however much time has passed to see the additional posts. If it says you posted 3 days ago, you can go back 3 days ago and review the posts following yours.

...well, yes, but what if I already did that yesterday, and the day before? I don't necessarily make a comment every time I check a thread, even if I'm interested in the discussion.

It looks like I'll have to make a comment every time I check a thread, instead of waiting until I have something really meaningful to say, just so I can keep track.  But I never felt I needed to do that before, which is why I think the "when" column must have reflected the latest post on the thread at one time, not just my latest post.

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

This practice has been the same ever since I first started checking the "Your" section of the Forums - that is, for around two years - and it has annoyed me for all of that time.

I'm glad to see the rationale behind it, even though I think it's silly.  It seems to me that there is at least one other good way to accomplish the same thing, without posting a time that is confusing or even misleading. 

Shouldn't we be able to click on our own name, listed under the most recent post, to take us to that specific post?  And from that point, we could read all subsequent posts.  If the When refers to the time of the most recent post in the thread, then we could choose to go to that point to catch up on the thread.

5. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 11 years ago

you control this setting now under where you type your comment.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure it's a different situation that you are mentioning here.  But, in case I'm wrong about that, would you please explain more about what you mean?

6. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

Mathew I think that  Marisa means that in

http://hubpages.com/forum
    Latest Activity in All Forums
    show: all / your / unanswered

The "when" column on the page "show all" gives the time the last post was made by any Hubber.
    The "when" column on the page "show your" gives the time the last post was made by the Hubber owning the "your" page.

That is why it is difficult to keep track of posts on one's "show your" page.

Not so easy to explain. Go to your own "show your" page and you'll see the issue.

That is exactly the issue.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

I don't see any issues with how the information is being displayed, thus my confusion.

Here is how it is designed to work and how it appears for me:

At http://hubpages.com/forum/

When "show all" is selected The "when" column indicates the last time anyone posted to the thread.

When  "show your" is selected
        The URL changes to http://hubpages.com/forum/your

Then the "when" column indicates the last time the logged in user posted to the forum thread.

The "when" column is designed to show different information based on the "show" option selected.

I have not seen any forum posts that are indicating the "when" information  incorrectly.

If you are seeing behavior different than just described, please take a screen shot and forward it to us so we can document any potential issues.

If it is working as I described, but you would like to suggest a change, you can do so here:
        http://hubpages.com/forum/37

7. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

I have made that suggestion before, Matthew, but I don't know whether it was in the Suggest a New Feature Forum - it has been a fairly long time. (And to be honest, I may have only complained about it, but I thought it was a suggestion.)

I believe that Marisa had not noticed the way "show your" normally works and thought it might be a glitch.  That is why she posted it here.

8. Sue Adams profile image96

Sorry Marisa I don't mean to take over your thread but Mathew Meyer seems keen on screen shots so here is one:

http://juliettekando.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/your.jpg

The suggestion is to make the "when" column on the "your" page relate to the time the last post was made by the last poster, not the logged in Hubber.

And now, Mathew you are going to tell us to post this in the "suggestion" forum. But then we will be told not to put the same post in two different forums.

So now you have the necessary information, perhaps you could deal with it from here?

Thank you

9. Marisa Wright profile image87

Thanks Sue!

1. MickiS profile image75
      MickiSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for the late reply as I am just catching up on this thread (sorry, had a vacation day and now I'm behind! :-O)

Marisa, I understand your suggestion. When viewing forums from the 'Your' tab, the 'When' should timestamp the most recent forum post not your last forum post.

Sue, thanks for your help in clarifying things and for the awesome screen shot!

I've asked our developers to look in to how difficult this would be. If it's an easy change, it's definitely something that we'll do. Seems like lots of people (including some Staffers) agree that this is confusing.

Stay tuned....

1. Sue Adams profile image96
        Sue Adamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for dealing with this Micki. Let's hope it will soon be resolved.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Thanks Micki, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

10. MickiS profile image75
    MickiSposted 11 years ago

I'm happy to announce that this was implemented this afternoon!

11. Sue Adams profile image96

Thank you so much for listening and implementing Micki.

Now what about resizing our Avatars?

LOL! Glad I have you to keep me on my toes and accountable!

Had to put that one on the back burner for a few days so that we can get the new user profile out next week on Staff Profiles for you all to preview. BUT, I am working on it. It's just a little more complicated: have to make sure everything lines up properly and, if we use a pic size that we don't currently have, it can takes days to get the new images generated on the backend.

Anyway, I haven't forgotten.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
        Sue Adamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Micki,
        I feel a bit guilty now giving you so much extra work. But you'll see, it'will be worth it in the end. The new design is good, almost perfect. And please pass on our thanks to every one who has worked so hard on it.

12. Marisa Wright profile image87

Yay!  Thank you!

You're welcome. My pleasure. Thanks for making MY forum experience easier!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)