Is Veganism or Vegetarianism Good For You? Vegan and Vegetarian Diet
Is Veganism Good For you?
As early as 1944, when the Vegan Society was founded in response to the broadening of the term vegetarian to include the eating of dairy products, people are slowly acknowledging that veganism is good for their health.
When people began to realized the importance of vegetable and fruits in their diet, they began to eliminate all forms of animal products in their food. . Books and some diet plans are marketed concentrating on veganism -- adiet which excludes all p[roducts from animals. Veganism to this day according to polls conducted is practiced by almost 0.2% and 1.3% of the United States population, and between 0.25% and 0.4% of the United Kingdom population.
Objectives of this article are:
- To give a brief description about what exaclty “veganism” is
- Discuss what is Veganism -- The Vegan Food Pyramid
- History of veganism
- Issues surrounding veganism
- Necssary supplement to take
What is veganism?
Veganism or vegetarianism is a way of dieting incorporating ones lifestyle and diet choices -- to eat plant products. Vegans choose not to consume animal products of any kind, due to moral convictions pertaining to animal rights, welfare the environment, health and at times due to religious convictions. Vegan diet is a kind of vegetarianism.
The Vegan society defines veganism as :
- a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.
What consists a Vegetarian Diet ?
- Since it focuses on plans for food it consists of fruits, vegetables, dried beans and peas, grains, seeds and nuts.
Vegetarian eating patterns:
- The vegan diet, which excludes all meat and animal products
- The lacto vegetarian diet, which includes plant foods plus dairy products
- The lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, which includes both dairy products and eggs
History of Veganism
- In 1944 The Vegan Society was founded by Donald Watson and Elsie Shrigley to include dairy in vegan diet
- In the US, the first Vegan Society was founded in 1948 by Dr. Catherine Nimmo and Rubin Abramowitz and was subsequently incorporated into the
- In 1960 American Vegan Society was founded by Dinshah
- The Movement For Compassionate Living was founded by former Vegan Society secretary Kathleen Jannaway In 1984 to promote sustainable living and self-sufficiency in addition to Veganism.
- At present time, there are lots of vegan societies worldwide, including national societies in Australia, India, New Zealand, and South Africa.
- In 1993, the advocacy organization which would become The Vagn Outreach was founded by Matt Ball and Jack Norris in 1993
- A present and every November 1 -- it is celebrated as “World vegan Day”
VEGAN Food Pyramid
Issues About Veganism
1. Is a vegan diet sufficient for your health in general?
- Vegan dieting according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) if properly planned are healthful and have been found to satisfy nutritional needs., however if it is poorly planned then it will be bad for the health as it will lack the other necessary nutrients. Vegans are recommended to plan their diet appropriately and take dietary supplements.Dietary Associations in the world supports this claim. However there is a caution among children and pregnant women
2. Other people contend that "Lots of other activities "may kill fewer animals" than are killed in the intensive crop production necessary to support vegetarian diets."
3, Is Vegan Diet cheaper?
- An article in MSN by Scott Mccredie "Go Vegetarian to Save Money" attesting to the fact that it is cheaper if you go by the basic. The amount of money you spend on food will eventually be beneficial to you because of the health benefits it will provide. "Most of the staples of a vegetarian diet are cheap and in fact, most of the world's people eat a mostly vegetarian diet made up of inexpensive commodities such as beans, rice and corn, he said".
According to the USDA there are other nutrients to take as supplements for a "Vegan Diet"
- Protein -- "The sources of protein for vegetarians include beans, nuts, nut butters, peas, and soy products -- (tofu, tempeh, veggie burgers). Milk products and eggs are also good protein sources for lacto-ovo vegetarians".
- Iron --- functions primarily as a carrier of oxygen in the blood. "Iron sources for vegetarians include iron-fortified breakfast cereals, spinach, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, lentils, turnip greens, molasses, whole wheat breads, peas, and some dried fruits (dried apricots, prunes, raisins)--
- Calcium "for the vegetarians include fortified breakfast cereals, soy products (tofu, soy-based beverages), calcium-fortified orange juice, and some dark green leafy vegetables (collard greens, turnip greens, bok choy, mustard greens). Milk products are excellent calcium sources for lacto vegetarians"--
- Zinc is a necessary for many biochemical reactions and also helps the immune system function properly. Other sources of zinc for vegetarians include many types of beans (white beans, kidney beans, and chickpeas), zinc-fortified breakfast cereals, wheat germ, and pumpkin seeds. Milk products are a zinc source for lacto vegetarians.
- Vitamin B12 is also found in animal products and some fortified foods. Sources of vitamin B12 for vegetarians include milk products, eggs, and foods that have been fortified with vitamin B12 , include breakfast cereals, soy-based beverages, veggie burgers, and nutritional yeast.
Conclusion :: Summary
Veganism is a good form of a diet plan as approved by the different government agencies and societies for health, that being said, other necessary food supplements should be incorporated in the diet plan so that you can maximize the good health derived from a Vegan diet. It has been said that people who follow vegetarian diets can get all the nutrients they need but they must be careful to eat a wide variety of foods to meet their nutritional needs. Nutrients vegetarians may need to focus on include protein, iron, calcium, zinc and Vitamin B12 for an overall healthful Vegan diet.
You May Want to Read Other Articles about Dieting/Weight Loss
- Shadrach, Meshach, And Abednego-Soul Food!
Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Were from Jewish nobility dont you know? They were brought to Babylon for training. During King Nebuchadnezzars reigning. Daniel had their...
- Micky Dee's Healthy Advice
A basic rule for maintaining ones health- stay away from the center of the grocery stores! Stay around the periphery. The periphery is where the fresh foods, are generally found. More often than...
- Dozen Latest Diet Plans to Choose From And a Lot More
There are lots of diet plans available nowadays and in fact they keep on popping up. Almost one or two new diet program plans are being launched every six months. People in their attempt to lose weight get to...
- How to Reduce Weight the Acupressure Way
How to Reduce Weight the Acupressure Way The cheapest way to reduce weight is the alternative way of medicine or maintaining health which is also defined as holistic view of medicine and/or healing....
- Healthy Diet 101 : How to Make it Work For You
Healthy Diet 101 : How to Make it Work For You Knowing the basic of a "healthy diet" is very important in healthy living. Sticking to a healthy diet plan is another thing and it is the most difficult thing...
- Attitudes That Will Help When You Want to Lose Weight
Attitudes that Will Help When You Want to Lose Weight All of us want to have a healthier body, but most often that not, we don't do anything about it. Our attitude towards losing weight is as vivid as...
- Weight Loss : Finding Motivations and Inspiring Quotes
Weight Loss : Finding Motivations and Inspiring Quotes According to researches conducted all the things you are doing when it comes to losing weight are futile until and unless you put it in your heart...
- Samples of Low-Carb Diets Available to Choose From
The market is flooded with lots of available diet plans to choose from. Some boast of losing weight in a week, two or three weeks or even a month. Some diet plans are into low fat diets and combination of...
- How and Will the Celebrity Style 5 Factor Diet Work for You?
The 5 Factor Diet Program. Have you heard of it before? Probably yes, as it is very popular among Hollywood celebrities like Jessica Simpson, Halle Berry, Kanye West et. al. Aside from the 5 Factor diet...
More by this Author
- 69Examples of Food Additives that Add Life to Food and Shorten “Life” : Why Additives in Food Are Harmful to Health
Have you wonder about what makes food lasts in cans, provide nice colors, thickens and what make it more appealing and you want to eat them right away? That is food additives in the making. How about garlic, vinegar,...
Do you want to get pregnant faster? here are some ways for you to do so that you can achieve your reproductive goals. When two people love each other and they want to start a family there are various ways on how to...
Have you ever wonder what are the meanings of colors? Well in China, there are meanings to every color. The traditions and culture of the Chinese people are the subjects of so many studies and understanding by a lot of...