jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What do you think about the issue of self harm?

1. Hannahh3 profile image61
    Hannahh3posted 3 years ago

What are your opinions of self harm? And what would you advice/tell a self harmer to do?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image84
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I would suggest to the self-harmer to stop feeling guilty for something that most likely happened in the past. Unless the person is still around, it was most likely a person, or persons, who picked on or yelled at the self-harmer.

2. 0
      Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Self harm is a serious mental disease.  The self harmer needs to seek immediate attention.  It hurts when you are depressed and most don't know how to cope with everyday things as we are not born with coping skills they are learned.  The self harmer needs to know that it is not their fault and they need to get away from the influences that are making them harm themselves.  They have a lack of self worth which is sad as everyone is worth something.   

Going through intense therapy and medications can help tremendously!  There is nothing to be ashamed of for seeking help for a serious disability.  The world puts too much emphasis on therapy as a 'bad thing' when in fact it's a good thing.  If more people sought the help of a mental health professional it would be a happier world.   Don't be ashamed, be brave take the first step and get help.

1. Mark Johann profile image65
        Mark Johannposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am thinking of self harm in religious view as a sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins.

I sometimes secretly whip myself during Lenten Season.

2. Jennifer Bart profile image60
    Jennifer Bartposted 3 years ago

For me it was just like any other addiction it was an escape. The issue isn't so much the act itself as it is the reason behind it. I use to do it when I was hurt, scared or angry to temporarily escape reality. My advice to anyone who has this issue is to seek help through a 12 step program because that is what worked for me.