jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Compared to Laughter, Crying is the Superior Emotion

1. wrenchBiscuit profile image87
    wrenchBiscuitposted 17 months ago

A Poor Man's Tears

Look at me! You can bet I've done a lot of crying in my time, and I'm here to say it always makes me feel better. Laughter has never given me the same depth of release and comfort as a handful of tears. Laughter is a poor man's tears, to coin a phrase ... and so to speak.

Famous Last Words "A Poor Man's Tears" © 2015 wrenchBiscuit

1. robhampton profile image89
      robhamptonposted 17 months ago in reply to this

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 17 months ago

3. enamateur profile image84
    enamateurposted 17 months ago

4. colorfulone profile image88
    colorfuloneposted 17 months ago

5. shewins profile image83
    shewinsposted 17 months ago

While crying is more cathartic, laughter is certainly more enjoyable. Neither of them is an emotion, both are responses to emotions. Crying is not very socially acceptable, especially in a public situation. It is seen as a sign of weakness (which it is not IMO).

wrenchBiscuitposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for stopping by. I beg to differ concerning my choice of words. Theoretically, any noun can be used as a verb. Of course, some make the transition better than others. It is common for someone to say,"Phone me later when you get home", or " Don't monkey with me!" or " Go ahead and pencil that in".
      Of course Phone, monkey, and pencil are all nouns.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image96
        Sherry Hewinsposted 17 months ago in reply to this

I agree that laugh and cry can be used as both nouns and verbs. What I was saying is that neither one of them is an emotion. If I cry because I am sad, sadness is the emotion. If I laugh because I am happy, happiness is the emotion.

LOL! We're still not on the same page. I was referring to the word "emotion". I was using the word emotion as a verb. Of course I could have said " ... the superior emotional response." But to phrase it in such a way,at least to my taste, softens the headline.

Isn't it amazing what people can find to talk about? But this is important, because there is much confusion and heartache in the world, and much of it is due to either a misunderstanding of language, a misuse of language, or a difference in definitions and usage. When we add metaphor to the mix, it's a wonder we haven't all killed each other by now.

1. Writer Fox profile image81
            Writer Foxposted 17 months ago in reply to this

You didn't use the word 'emotion' as a verb in the headline.  You used it as a predicate nominative, a noun. Eighth grade English students know that 'to emote' is a verb and 'to emotion' is not.

A predicate nominative essentially renames the subject of a sentence. You are suggesting that the word emotion is a predicate nominative, and so let us go with that. We must also accept that a verb is a word that expresses an action, or a state of being. An emotion is most certainly a state of being. But I am sure that there are some reptilians posing as humans that have never experienced a true emotion, and so their state of being is more utilitarian, like an insect, or ... like a reptile!

Since laughing and crying are undoubtedly emotional responses, we can correctly state that both types of behavior are manifestations of emotion. We can also properly conclude  that without such manifestations , we could not be sure that emotions even existed!  No one has ever been accused of getting emotional simply by calmly sitting in a chair and staring at the wall. Consequently, not only can a noun be properly used as a verb, but an emotion, for all practical purposes, is synonymous with the behavior that it evokes.

Apparently you have failed to realize that the meaning of any language cannot be properly understood when considered apart from it's general usage in a particular society. We cannot make proper judgements concerning language simply by parroting the "rules" that we have read in a book. Language is not so black and white. For example, many terms of endearment can be totally misunderstood when taken out of context.

Yes, we can say that laughter and crying are emotional responses. But we can also understand that they are the physical manifestation of emotion, and as such, they "are" the action, and they "are" the state of being of an emotion.

As an example,it is not uncommon for a juror to explain that a defendant was convicted because they "showed no emotion". When they make such statements they are indicating that a physical behavior, such as crying,or expressions of fear or remorse, were conspicuously absent. They are also indicating that they consider the the term "emotion" to be synonymous with an emotional response, which means that in such a context, they are considering the term "emotion" as a verb, or simultaneously as both noun and verb. In fact, I have never heard a juror, or prosecutor state that the defendant showed no " emotional response", or "emotional reaction".

Furthermore, if I state my name is Harold, it is not incorrect simply because I left out the fact that I am a man! The name itself implies that I am a man. When we state that crying or laughter are emotions, it is not necessary to clarify that they are emotional responses, as even an eighth grader would understand our meaning. And so, although the usage of the term "emotion" in this sentence  can be seen as a predicate nominative, a noun, or a verb, it can also be considered a figure of speech as well. One does not preclude the other.

But overall, I am not surprised, a rabbit or a mouse can be baited just as easily.

6. Jason Marovich profile image88
    Jason Marovichposted 17 months ago

Well I can definitely say I'm not crying after seeing these responses.  OMG and ROFLMAO.