US Obesity Rates Still Climbing

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

More proof today that Americans are losing the battle of the bulge.

Researchers at Harvard say the country's obesity epidemic will increase until at least 42 percent of the population is obese.

Previous research shows obesity rates - which are at 34 percent the past five years - have peaked.

are we eating poorly...not exercising...not working and sitting around?
    this is scary!yikes

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/ … 52113.html

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just updated my HFCS hub with the news that the percentage of fructose in HFCS turns out to be 65%, not 55% as previously believed. Oops. Not so similar to table sugar after all.

It's also in everything from spaghetti sauce to whole wheat bread, so even if it really is "okay in moderation" as the industry claims, "moderation" has been rendered completely impossible unless you cook all your food from scratch. My family does a better job of that than many, but it's still shocking to read labels at the grocery store and discover how much of the stuff the less culinarily inclined must actually eat. No wonder we're fat when even some medicines have been filled with as much sugar as a piece of candy.

2. Stacie L profile image89

yeah I know about the excess sugars added to foods..i just want to know why?
    are they trying to make us all sugar junkies? LOL

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lot of it is because of the deathgrip the agriculture (actually, make that agribusiness) lobby has on Washington. Subsidies artificially drive down the price of corn and soy, so they're cheaper than healthier foods. There's a great documentary called Food, Inc. that covers a lot of the problems with current American food policy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKYyD14d_0

2. Dr Ken Romeo profile image60
      Dr Ken Romeoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aren't cigarettes additictive?
      How about alcohol?
      Guess What?
      Sugar is addictive too!
      And because we genetically modify corn (the by-product of which is sugar), why not hook us on sugar as well.
      Say "thanks" to Conagra and Congress every time you enter a grocery store.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

In a free market system anything that boosts taste, undermines self control, lowers costs and moves product will tend to get done.  This does tend to lead to escallating levels of flavor enhancers.

4. Stacie L profile image89

looks like San Fransisco took matters into their own hands...so to speak.
    they are banning Happy Meals because they are unhealthy with all the sugar and fat...well sometimes govt. can do some good..
    should they control what people eat?hmm

1. mom101 profile image60
      mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am by and large all for a much smaller govt.  If they were to cut the staff in half and enforced that the workers actually did their jobs, we would do fine.
      Should they control what we eat? That is a damned if  question. Either answer  could be a little painful. Yes, because it is apparent we won't do it for ourselves. Hey, food taste good. But look at the damage we are putting ourselves thru.  The damage done is in a way much more worse than if one were to smoke. And yes, it does affect other people.

Sugar, is one of the least things we should be concerned with.

Margarine, the stuff that everybody thinnks is better than real butter, is one ingredient away from being plastic.

psycheskinner, you are right. It does undermine our self control. But, the costs are anything but lower. The price for the food may be but look at all the costs associated with obesity.  Start from scratch. Employment  medical and the list goes on.

We have got to find a way to reverse this train.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

US Obesity rates still climbing- and will continue to rise and then come to a crushing downward spiral, as people die off.

The level of ignorance of people in America is appalling to say the least, but it's unfortunate- not many actually see it as it is now.

People are so twisted, turned and flipped upside down, on information with regards to many things. It's that lack of knowledge(or ignorance) that is or has lead to the problems in relation to obesity.

Uneducated and uninformed people, tend to make things worse. The more ignorance to facts, the more damage to be done.

The time for more consciously active people is coming and approaching faster than most realize.

Just my thoughts. wink

1. mom101 profile image60
      mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, i agree. This is something that is not being taught at home or anywhere else a kid is during those critical young learning years.

For several years I was the leader in a national weight loss company and each week i taught 75-100 people about healthy nutrition. diets fail. period. They did great. Our group made it to state and regional levels each year, and they won.

I love food. plain ole southern cooked food. The older I get, the more relaxed with me I get. and i am beginning to buy prepackaged more often. (Oh i know). but that is part of the problem with everybody, to busy to prepare.
      I have said many many times, we need to get back to the basics of life. No, it is to the point we HAVE to get back to the basics, and soon.
      People go to the doctor and the doctor tells them, you have a choice, either loose the weight or die. But it does not phase them.

Food rationing? Sounds stiff. But maybe just what we need.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mom101, no disrespect meant, but the single biggest problem in the world today is how little people truly care about themselves.

It shows that more and more people refuse to use conscious thought in their everyday life. They are so routinely driven by their environment, that they do not realize that the environment they are living within is actually deadly to themselves.

It's ridiculous that more people are not aware, informed, educated about many aspects.

The question is "how" and "why" did get to this point? hmm

Can you answer that? hmm

Just a thought. You don't need to really answer the questions either. smile

6. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Obesity is a HUGE problem tongue

7. maudine_05 profile image60
    maudine_05posted 13 years ago

I came from a third world country and when I migrated here in the US I noticed the lack of activities of people , meaning, everything is an instant... You wanna go to a store which is even 1/2 mile away instead of walking people here tend to use their car, no handwashing coz theres the high tech and very efficient washing machine and etc... I am not saying that these are bad things to do but rather contributed to having a sedentary way of life which of course lead to being overweight.

8. kazemaru2 profile image60
    kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

obesity is a pervasive disease but eventually be ended with more advanced drugs of the biotechnological nature.

9. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Some years ago, a colleague who had a PhD in Public Health gave me some statistics on cigarette smoking.  He said studies showed that if a doctor asks a cigarette smoking patient, "Have you ever thought of quitting?" and walks them through their options and provides resources for them, about 9% of the time, the patients do quit smoking.  That may not be an outstanding percentage, but it is very helpful.  Just that one little talk does make a dent.

I have not struggled with obesity, but I think more doctors should be addressing this issue with obese patients, of which there are many now in the U.S.  Yes, every doctor, even the ophthalmologist, since diabetes can and does lead to many eye complications, including blindness.  Doctors need to develop good communication skills in this area, of course.

The recent predictions on how many overweight Americans will develop adult-onset diabetes in the next 20 years are truly shocking and disturbing.

10. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I don't suppose McRib month at McDonald's is helping out with this too much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)